GTP WRS-Online : Event 31 : A Rakete in Your Pokete - Apr 11

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 94 comments
Yes. On saturdays there is usually a re-run of the weeks race. Sometimes also trying something different like the reverse handicap grid last week.

I understand that news of a re-run was posted by Tim, but is there enoguh interest for the race. So far only 3 people (including myself) have expressed interest in the race.

Jsoccer9
I understand that news of a re-run was posted by Tim, but is there enoguh interest for the race. So far only 3 people (including myself) have expressed interest in the race.

We will be in the lounge at the stated time and hopefully enough show to race.

So for today we're going to repeat the attack format we ran last week on Saturday. We'll run the event even if there are as few as 4 drivers (as long as they are willing) because the format will be fun regardless. The Saturday races are unofficial so there is no 6 driver requirement like we have on the Wednesday races.

Here's the gist of the "attack format" for those of you who missed it last week:

First race will be a normal race of 12 laps with grid start (no formation lap) using fastest first based on a quick (2 hot lap) live qualification session. When the first race is over we will record finish times and gaps for all drivers.

The second race will be reverse grid, but with a twist. The driver who finished last from the first race will leave on the green light, but all other drivers will wait on the grid until they are released in reverse order. Each driver is released at a set race clock time based on the gaps from the first race.

For this event we're going to use a 65% rule. Meaning if you were 2nd to last and finished 10 seconds ahead of the guy who finished last in the first race, you'll leave the grid when the race clock says 6.5 seconds. And the same goes all the way through the grid until the winner from the first event leaves last. All drivers must remain on the grid in their spots with brakes engaged until their designated time. The delay will be maxed out at 60 seconds.

To encourage drivers to give their all in both races the winner of the overall event is the driver who has the lowest overall time. Basically We will add the finish times from both races, but again another twist. There is special a bonus time deduction for podium spots in either race. If you finish first in a race you get 6 seconds deducted from your total time. Second and Third get a 3 second and 1 second bonus deduction respectively.

It's all set up in a google document so we can enter times/gaps on the fly and have the gaps ready in a minute or two.

Finally, only race medium tires are allowed on both front and rear for this race. Pits are open and most drivers will require one pit for 12 laps so the # of stops strategy shouldn't really come into play. Although you can pit whenever you want so there is some strategy involved if you want to leap frog on track using pit timing.

EDIt: lounge is open for pre-race practice.

Last edited:
Here are the results for the saturday attack special:

event31_res_sat.png

I had a clean and fast second race, but certainly didn't deserve the overall win. I think the format is a bit too forgiving to those who run a terrible first race (which I did) because it basically erases 65% of the time you lost in your mistakes -- and I made many.

We'll look to tighten this format up on Saturday and if we ever get a formula that works well we'll may try it for a Wednesday official race instead of sprints for example. But for now since it's unofficial it's still a pretty interesting format and gives a chance for new drivers each week to get out in front and watch the splits and get in a fun chase. It's kind of fun having faster guys behind you closing the gap while your working on the gap to the guy in front of you.

Anyway, that's for the racing guys... it was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I made a few additions to the Saturday results table. You can see the net time taking out the start delay in the race #2 results in the column "Adj Time". The delta column (∆) compares this adjusted time to the time for race #1 for that driver and a negative number means they went faster in the 2nd race.

Note that every driver improved his time from race 1 if you deduct the required start delay. I think starting in reduced traffic helps a ton especially with the "dirty air" impact. Plus having just run a race and having the extra practice most people will drive better the 2nd time around.

I'm thinking next week we should try to alter the gap formula. Instead of a fixed percent maybe a moving scale. So the first 10 seconds of gap are factored at a higher percent than the next 10 and so on. That way a really bad first race (like mine) won't be mostly forgiven in the overall results.

Maybe something like:

00-15 secs @ 65%
15-30 secs @ 50%
30-45 secs @ 35%
45-60 secs @ 20%
60+ seconds @ 0%

Or to make the spreadsheet easy use the formula: Factor = 0.80 - (.015*GAP)

Back