GTP WRS-Online : Event 34 : Gettin' More Groceries - May 2

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 69 comments
I thought it would be fun to do a last man standing event with this car. Given how you can control pace or burn tires would be interesting to run a race that way...

We all qualify as normal with rolling start fastest first. But NO pits allowed. When you are lapped or run out of tires you are out and must retire (pull into pits if you are lapped or maybe just exit if you run out of tread). Last man standing wins the race. You can save tires, but you can't save them to the point where you get lapped. I would imagine this could last 30-35 laps. Crazy, huh?

I thought it would be fun to do a last man standing event with this car. Given how you can control pace or burn tires would be interesting to run a race that way...

We all qualify as normal with rolling start fastest first. But NO pits allowed. When you are lapped or run out of tires you are out and must retire (pull into pits if you are lapped or maybe just exit if you run out of tread). Last man standing wins the race. You can save tires, but you can't save them to the point where you get lapped. I would imagine this could last 30-35 laps. Crazy, huh?
Nice, I like the idea.:sly:

Congratz to Pekka for a win. Nice clean driving Wes and what a finish. I got to see it from 7 seconds back. Would have been nice to be a little closer. :sly:

event34_res_na.png

I do like the idea. Saturday possibly?

I had fun in these races.
EU (BB 3/7 ABS 1) was a struggle with the front tires and NA (BB 0/10 ABS 3) I got a much better run. :)

BTW Sorry about that bump in the last turn Dan (AspecBob). I came to realise later on you probably had no front tires left. :scared:

EDIT:
Yeah sure, why not Scott. :)

Looks like I have a game to coach at 1:00 PM on Saturday so I probably can't make it. I really wanted to see how far I could stretch those tires. :ouch: I think an event format like that with focus on lengthening the run as much as possible would really help develop a skill that I am lacking.

I would say the attack format wouldn't work well here because passing isn't hard... it's downright impossible.

These events look like a lot of fun. Can't wait to join one in the near future.
(Finally submitted a time for the qualifier last week, a bit long overdue)

We'll be more than happy to have you DustDriver! 👍
Good to have another Belgian on board soon aswell. :)

Decent idea. I'm free this Saturday and should make it

Wow, just seen the result for the NA Race good job Pekka and Wes! Win by just under a tenth, Epic! Pekka, you clearly were putting down some of those fast laps you got in the EU race, Good Job man:tup:

Wow, just seen the result for the NA Race good job Pekka and Wes! Win by just under a tenth, Epic! Pekka, you clearly were putting down some of those fast laps you got in the EU race, Good Job man:tup:

I ran a quick calculation checking the drivers who ran both EU and NA and see how they improved as far as overall time. Speedy gets the prize for most improved (probably because he stole my BB setup :lol:).

Driver...........Change (seconds)
GTP_MadMax86.....-06.351
GTP_WRP001.......-16.898
GTP_Speedy6543...-20.618
GTP_jtv90069.....+02.156

JTV ran two races within 2 seconds.... I guess that's consistent :lol:

For me, the improvement was 99% based on where I started. I qualified terribly for the EU race and was stuck in the back of the train. Ended up having to pit *very* early just to undercut and get some open track as I was being held up at least 1.5 seconds per lap starting at about lap 9. I tried to pass, but couldn't pull off a pass clean and I wasn't going to do it with contact. I actually did get partially by once, but Speedy fought like a dog to keep me behind him and wouldn't give me an inch and won the game of chicken going into turn 1. So I pitted after lap 13 leaving an 18 lap stint 2.

In hindsight, I think Speedy would have done better himself by letting me pass and using my draft to stay up. Of course I attempted to do that with Pekka in the 2nd stint. I knew he was faster and on better tires so I let him pass... Problem is I promptly screwed up a turn and lost him too quickly to take much of an advantage.

Last edited:
I think it was on about lap 13, I saw I started losing about 3 tenths a sector to gooners. I think this was due to the brake balance I was using, I went 7/9 bb and ABS 10. The 7/9 bb certainly helped at the start because it allowed me to just to put down some quali laps and break the tow, it started to take its toll after 8 laps or so because my times fell off the cliff. So... as soon as i saw the splits get closer, it was like "right, pit next lap" to try and get an undercut, seemed to work :) That was my race strategy anyway

I think it was on about lap 13, I saw I started losing about 3 tenths a sector to gooners. I think this was due to the brake balance I was using, I went 7/9 bb and ABS 10. The 7/9 bb certainly helped at the start because it allowed me to just to put down some quali laps and break the tow, it started to take its toll after 8 laps or so because my times fell off the cliff. So... as soon as i saw the splits get closer, it was like "right, pit next lap" to try and get an undercut, seemed to work :) That was my race strategy anyway

A major benefit of running 1st or 2nd is you can see the splits to the guy you are battling with directly. If only we could choose the car during an event with which to show splits (with something like the system you can change BB on the fly). Or if it would show splits to leader AND to the cars directly in front and behind you by default. That would be awesome.

In the 2nd race I was going under the bridge when Speedy was going over and I just used his position on the bridge to judge any changes in the gap. Not very precise to say the least.

Congrats to James and Mohit for 1st and second :cheers:

So I pitted after lap 13 leaving an 18 lap stint 2.

In hindsight, I think Speedy would have done better himself by letting me pass and using my draft to stay up. Of course I attempted to do that with Pekka in the 2nd stint. I knew he was faster and on better tires so I let him pass... Problem is I promptly screwed up a turn and lost him too quickly to take much of an advantage.

I saw you comming Tim and was wondering what your strategy was.
After my pit the gap was getting closer and behind you I noticed Pekka was busy getting superspeed.
I was hoping you could held Pekka a bit behind you:sly: because I feared the last laps due to bad tires.
If the race was one lap more ,I am sure I had to give my position to Pekka.

Again a great 3D3 race,thanks for hosting Tim,and thanks for a great combo.👍

Congrats to James and Mohit for 1st and second :cheers:

I saw you comming Tim and was wondering what your strategy was.
After my pit the gap was getting closer and behind you I noticed Pekka was busy getting superspeed.
I was hoping you could held Pekka a bit behind you:sly: because I feared the last laps due to bad tires.
If the race was one lap more ,I am sure I had to give my position to Pekka.

Again a great 3D3 race,thanks for hosting Tim,and thanks for a great combo.👍

Congratz on the EU podium! They are not easy to come by with the aliens running each week these days.

You were out of my league for the most part in that EU race. I did recover some pace for NA so it would have been an interesting battle between us... but for EU I was definitely outclassed. You finished 18 seconds in front of me for EU and I improved my time by 16.9 seconds so it would have been a nice battle.

Pekka short pitted me in the NA race and got a little ahead. Then I got caught behind jtv on his last first stint lap coming out of the pits -- I had to jam on the breaks to give way to jtv who had right of way -- and lost 6 seconds to Pekka and Wes in a single lap. Before that I was right on his bumper for the entire first stint. My only chance was to return to his bumper as without the draft I could not hang with him.

Anyway, the 2nd stint became quite lonely. 6-8 seconds behind Wes and Pekka and a decent gap back to Speedy. It was a struggle to keep concentrating. It's easy to relax in these types of combos and lose a second a lap without really thinking about it. Would have been a bit more interesting if I had any hope of cutting the gap to the leaders, but I'm not delusional. :lol:

I ran a quick calculation checking the drivers who ran both EU and NA and see how they improved as far as overall time. Speedy gets the prize for most improved (probably because he stole my BB setup :lol:).

Driver...........Change (seconds)
GTP_MadMax86.....-06.351
GTP_WRP001.......-16.898
GTP_Speedy6543...-20.618
GTP_jtv90069.....+02.156

Actually Tim, you are the one with the best improvement.
I changed my BB and ABS, you stuck with what you had.

As for the EU Race, I couldn't deal with letting you pass without a fight and was willing to go side by side through the first turn with you when you were trying that pass. :sly:
I rather have a clear view on the turns to come than following someone in the turns.
Your short pit at the end of lap 13 gave you the postition you deserved.
Also steering to heavily cost me two places to Hasslemoff and Jammy at the end of the race as my tyres were completely shot. :ouch:

As for the NA Race, your BB and Pekka's ABS finally got me 30.5's. Compared to my 31.2's (or something) in the EU Race.
I was running quite close to the top spots in 4th or 5th (can't really remember) during the beginning of the race but one mistake in the first turn and I lost all of you. :yuck:
Having a decent gap to the guys behind me my race was pretty lonely. Still, I tried hotlapping lap after lap - giving me 4 consecutive laps of 30.5 - trying to catch you again but unfortunately didn't succeed. :(

Nonetheless, I had a great time!
Why else would I get up for in the middle of the night. :)

Your short pit at the end of lap 13 gave you the postition you deserved.
Also steering to heavily cost me two places to Hasslemoff and Jammy at the end of the race as my tyres were completely shot. :ouch:

I enjoyed last nights race had a few good little battles, mainly following speedy and trying to keep a bit distance in front of Jammy.
I also found my tyres lasted better in the second stint staying in speedys slip stream for a few laps.

Would like to try saturdays idea with the tyres but not to sure if I would make it yet

Looks like I'll miss quali today, but if the race is starting 15 or 20 minutes past the hour I could make it 95% chance. I could start at the back of the grid.

EDIT: Never mind can't make it :(

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's looking like I will be out of the house and miss today's race.👎 It may be close but I think I'll get home sometime in the middle of the race. Good luck if I don't make it.

Remind me what's the time for Saturday Races? Is it 1600 EDT? If so, I might be there.

Sorry I'm late on this guys but I was out.
Normally we would've started now but I'll only be able to make in an hours or so.
Let's just see with how many we still are an hour from now in the lounge.

GTP_3D3Racing lounge is open for .. tyre life testing.

35 Laps, no pitting, sports mediums.

1. GTP_MadMax86 - 55'37.929
  2. GTP_PASM - +0.829
  3. GTP_w-g-e - +1.041
  4. GTP_Hasslemoff - +1.649
  5. GTP_jtv90069 - dnf (+50 last split)
  6. GTP_AspecBob - 31 Laps

Edit: Table a little misleading as far as AspecBob is involved. Had to retire once lapped, so Daniel was not 4 laps down but just 1 when he retired.

Last edited:
You guys went 35 laps without pitting?
I tried to join the lobby, but I'm dealing with an awful connection setup ATM so it just wouldn't work. It should be solved soon enough (as soon as i swap out the antique modem).
I did go into my own lobby to try the combo and my best lap was ....slow (~4 seconds off the NA quali pace), but more importantly I had to stop after 15 laps because the front tires were pretty non-existent (BB 2/10, abs 3).
My last online race with a DS3 was March 2008ish :lol:

You guys went 35 laps without pitting?
I tried to join the lobby, but I'm dealing with an awful connection setup ATM so it just wouldn't work. It should be solved soon enough (as soon as i swap out the antique modem).
I did go into my own lobby to try the combo and my best lap was ....slow (~4 seconds off the NA quali pace), but more importantly I had to stop after 15 laps because the front tires were pretty non-existent (BB 2/10, abs 3).
My last online race with a DS3 was March 2008ish :lol:

Wheel go bye-bye?

35 Laps, no pitting, sports mediums.

1. GTP_MadMax86 - 55'37.929
  2. GTP_PASM - +0.829
  3. GTP_w-g-e - +1.041
  4. GTP_Hasslemoff - +1.649
  5. GTP_jtv90069 - dnf (+50 last split)
  6. GTP_AspecBob - 31 Laps

Edit: Table a little misleading as far as AspecBob is involved. Had to retire once lapped, so Daniel was not 4 laps down but just 1 when he retired.

Am I readying that right? After 35 laps there were 4 guys within 2 seconds!!!

Can't believe you all made 35 laps to begin with... I figured maybe one guy would be on anything but rims at that point.

Sorry I missed it. We've got one more game of baseball and then playoffs so the season is wrapping up soon. Of course I've signed up for CALM on Sunday meaning I had to negotiate away my Saturdays -- at least every other weekend when there is a CALM enduro.

Looking forward to racing to you again soon Marc.

It was certainly a different race, I was lapping slowly until around Lap 18 when I realized we were going finish all 35 laps. I was about 38 seconds down when I tried to go fast and I did close the gap down to 26 seconds by lap 28 but then I started losing ground again as my tires started disappearing.
I have no idea how the lead 4 kept that pace and still had tires 👍 well done guys and a nice win there Pekka.

Edit: yes Tim you are reading the table correctly :lol:

Back