GTP WRS-Online : Event 43: Tokyo Two Step - July 4/5

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 65 comments
The Gallardo was definitely the harder car to manage (at least for me), but the differences made for interesting racing, I think. I had a lot of trouble with it after about 6-7 laps or so. The fronts going off first, even slightly, makes it balanced like a hind-legged-only ox pulling a plough - I don't know how to manage that situation without making it worse (was trying to trail-brake already). Any thoughts?

I think Wes (and Scott?) proved the potential of the one-stop (madman, on DS3), though I wouldn't even try.

EU race 2 I was in the Gallardo. I didn't make a stop that race. The Gallardo was definitely harder to manage than the SLS, it didn't handle as well through the corners to begin with and then on old tires it was like a boat. The tires held up pretty well for me though until about the 16th lap. I really lost front grip around then and it was just a plough through the corners. At that point I had to concentrate on braking early, coast through the corners, and late getting back on the throttle or I would kiss the wall. Very hard to do with 2nd-4th gaining about 4 seconds a lap at that point. Speedy picked perfect races distances because I would have lost the lead within a couple more corners.

Any takers for the Saturday Attack format of this Combo?

Start @ 20:00 - 20:15 GMT.

Last edited:
I will be racing at that time but will join afterwards, should be around 21:00.

Won't say much except to say I thought this was a surprisingly awesome combo - there seemed to be quite a bit of battling going on all over, tire management was needed even in the sprints, and strategy too.

The Gallardo was definitely the harder car to manage (at least for me), but the differences made for interesting racing, I think. I had a lot of trouble with it after about 6-7 laps or so. The fronts going off first, even slightly, makes it balanced like a hind-legged-only ox pulling a plough - I don't know how to manage that situation without making it worse (was trying to trail-brake already). Any thoughts?

I think Wes (and Scott?) proved the potential of the one-stop (madman, on DS3), though I wouldn't even try. I was pretty lucky in NA race 2, I think; had minimal incidents, though the potential for them was there; and I know stuff happened to slow those catching up behind me (with mohit charging up through the field).

Well, maybe go on a little bit.
No stop in both races, it would definitely be faster if I had my wheel.

About managing tyres with the Gallardo.. I have no idea. I try not too turn too much and don't slam on the accelerator pedal too soon.

w-g-e
No stop in both races, it would definitely be faster if I had my wheel.

About managing tyres with the Gallardo.. I have no idea. I try not too turn too much and don't slam on the accelerator pedal too soon.

Reducing the wear is one thing - I tried playing with the brake balance, but yes, as Scott said also, the answer seemed to be just to be go slower (focusing very much on maintaining a smooth line would mitigate it quite a bit, yes).

Changing the balance of the wear is more what I was getting at - the wear rate difference between front and rear, steadily making the car tend towards understeer. Even wear is fine, rearward wear needs careful throttle / slip angle application, but fronts going first - and AWD cars get this a lot - cause me a lot of difficulty. Just me?

Obviously sliding around more makes it worse. I probably overdid the rearward brake bias, too.

So, drive better. OK, I'll give it a whirl.

Reducing the wear is one thing - I tried playing with the brake balance, but yes, as Scott said also, the answer seemed to be just to be go slower (focusing very much on maintaining a smooth line would mitigate it quite a bit, yes).

Changing the balance of the wear is more what I was getting at - the wear rate difference between front and rear, steadily making the car tend towards understeer. Even wear is fine, rearward wear needs careful throttle / slip angle application, but fronts going first - and AWD cars get this a lot - cause me a lot of difficulty. Just me?

Obviously sliding around more makes it worse. I probably overdid the rearward brake bias, too.

So, drive better. OK, I'll give it a whirl.
I had pretty much even wear.. (check the replay if you want to see it). 4/3 brake bias.. If you go with a higher rear setting you'll just end up sliding around and that's never good.

Driving a car that has more front wear is just a matter of braking sooner, turning in sooner, get on the gas later, turn in with a slower speed etc... You can't do anything about it other than minimising the wear.

Back