GTP WRS-Online : Event 46 : Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 125 comments
Cool. I'd like to practice with some oval races. I'm curious if it's possible to make the outside line work in turns 3 and 4. I pretty sure I didn't use the brakes for the oval in the offline TT, so I might be able to do the same online.

With my setup, I won't need chase view. I use roof cam with the map based on the car with a zoom of 2. This allows me to see where the front of my car is and still see if anyone is beside me or within proximity to my car on the track. Although I will admit at times when the battle is heated I forget to check the map and end up making slight contact because I hadn't noticed an arrow next to me.

A simple test of the lines in the corners could be done offline - for practice purposes.
Just run some laps staying really tight to the inside line, and then try to race your ghost using the outside line.
It will give you the chance to see how accurate the map will be for judging positional awareness as well.

We are in the lounge for practice, feel free to join 👍

At the moment in the lounge: me, twissy, porsche, fizzle and snow

More noob questions: where do I find the lounge? I'm on the 3D3 friends lists but they don't seem to be online...

More noob questions: where do I find the lounge? I'm on the 3D3 friends lists but they don't seem to be online...

And it usually will never be.
Just go to the community section, select 3D3 racing, and enter the lobby.
The account doesn't need to be online for it to be available.

And it usually will never be.
Just go to the community section, select 3D3 racing, and enter the lobby.
The account doesn't need to be online for it to be available.

:dunce: I knew it would be simple! Thanks for putting up with my nood-ness.

So after EU practice today we'll confirm a double file rolling start for the oval. It's going to be a tight battle for sure. We ran about 12 laps and the top 4 finishers were all within 1 second. :crazy:

An oval race would be better if you had to brake in both corners. With the RH tires there's really too much grip and you can go basically anywhere... except the to the far inside... if you hit the non banked section the car gets out of shape in a hurry. We went four wide down the back stretch one time. :lol:

This oval race will be more of a Talledega race (luck) versus a Martinsville race (skill), but it'll be a good diversion after the road coarse and points won't shuffle that much due to the 3x multiplier for the road course.

PS> Don't forget to increase the top speed on your oval tune.

Thanks guys, that was fun earlier :) Just working out which time slot I can make it tomorrow.

I was really surprised how "different" the car felt online. Is it possible for me to make my own room to practice in? I'm guessing I set the room to free run and set up the parameters as per the 3D3 rules.

Thanks guys, that was fun earlier :) Just working out which time slot I can make it tomorrow.

I was really surprised how "different" the car felt online. Is it possible for me to make my own room to practice in? I'm guessing I set the room to free run and set up the parameters as per the 3D3 rules.

Yes, just go to your own lounge if you want to practice alone. Then as you said set it up to the specs in the event details. Note: you are always welcome to practice in one of the 3D3 lounges when you want company, but if you want to have a solo test session your lounge is the best spot. 👍

Community -> GTP_Pilmat -> Tea Cup (x) -> Join

As a rule I always set the Events Settings first and then set the desire track and then the car regulations. If you are by yourself you can skip the regulations. Make sure not to forget to set two important event settings that will change the physics:

Tire Wear: On
Grip Reduction: Real

The rest (slipstream, visible damage, mech damage) doesn't really matter if you're just free run mode for testing. But if you are ever one of the first to join the 3D3 lounge and have to set it up, follow exactly the settings in the event detail post.

Good practice guys. I really enjoyed the oval race. The entire oval allows for multiple lines. I heard some comments on not being able to pass on the road course, but I didn't experience any passing on the road course since I got out in front before turn 1 and stayed there for the entire 6 lap race we ran.

I didn't plan on leaving abruptly like I did, but a storm rolled through and knocked the power out.

Not sure I am going to be able to race in E/U event tomorrow. If I do it will be without any online practice. :nervous:

Al

Setting up the lounge now for NA practice. I'll be driving for about 45 minutes and then I'll have to go, but I'll leave the lounge set up until I return around 8:30 PM Pacific.

EDIT: AFK, but GTP_Mamba is in the lounge running laps. I'll be back at 8:30 PST.

Last edited:
"You cannot join this room right now, please wait a few minutes and try again."

Edit: I'm in. I've never even seen that message before.

Anyone up for running online in half an hour or so?

Edit: sorry Porche, just saw your message (using the Android app). I'll be there in a bit.

Everyone should change their oil before joining the lounge tomorrow. Oval races cause oil to wear out quicker due to the higher sustained speeds.

Both of my offline setups felt very different online. I didn't notice it as much last week, but this week it felt very different. Guess I'll be even slower than I normally am. :rolleyes:

Still, I'm looking forward to it. I learned a lot following you guys last week, so I'll hope to learn even more this week. 👍

Note: There are only 4 confirmed drivers for the NA race tonight. The is a super fun event and hopefully we get at least 6 otherwise the race will not be official. There are 6 guys on the reserve list so hopefully at least a few of those will be able to make the race.

I've signed up and will run this if I get in the db in time.

👍 You are in the database now and you will show up in the next registration image refresh. You are signed up for NA as a reserve.

If you've already sent the FR they'll be accepted before the races today... if not please send the FR to the three lounges at least a couple hours before the race you are participating in.

Welcome and good luck.

I haven't created a stewards notes for a while but here goes...

Stewards Notes:

On the road course, it's not easy to pass even with all those straights. One opportunity is going into turn 1, especially if the driver being overtaken had a poor run through the chicane giving the passing driver a run. However, you have to be careful passing here. Dive bombing isn't a valid pass maneuver and I observed a few borderline pass attempts during practice yesterday -- no issues since it was only practice, but we'll expect more in the official races today. The key part of the OLR that comes into play here is as follows:

08: Corner Rights:

B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

C:
If sufficient overlap is established before the turn-in point, then the behind driver has the right to sufficient side room. The ahead driver must also leave sufficient side room for the behind driver. This means that each driver has a right to their respective "line", or side of the track, right up to the exit point. Neither driver should squeeze the other toward the inside or outside of the corner during the apex or exit.

So if you have not established substantial overlap going into the turn in point you absolutely should attempt to dive into the brake zone or lean on the driver to the outside to make the turn. Do not attempt the pass unless you can maintain an inside line and allow room on the outside until you can clear the driver you are overtaking. If you do attempt a pass and end up leaning on the outside driver pushing them off track you will be required to make a contact concession as per the OLR or face a harsher penalty after the race.

On the other hand if you are being overtaken and the other driver has established substantial overlap to the inside you are probably better off braking a little early and avoiding a side by side run through that section. The outside of Turn 1/2 is unforgiving if you go wide so take extra care not to ruin your or anothers race here.

Be especially careful on the first lap where there will likely be a few drivers entering the corner side by side.

--

The main lounge (GTP_3D3Racing) will be set up for the road course about an hour before the races for practice. If you need any last practice on the oval you can use your own lounge or feel free to use GTP_3D3_B. Just be sure to be in the main lounge at least 5 minutes prior to qualifying.

And finally, remember to change your oil before the race. We will have a couple minute break between the road course and oval races while we tally points, but you will not be allowed to leave the lounge to change oil. We'll all be in the same situation so come into the first race with fresh oil and you will not be at any disadvantage. In fact I don't think a full road course race will impact HP if you enter with fresh oil. Once the oval starts the oil condition shouldn't register until after the race is complete. i.e. if you start the oval race with full HP you'll maintain that throughout the race (otherwise those 24 hour races would be a joke) and HP is reset after the race is complete (you'll likely be down HP after the race is complete)... if we were doing multiple sprints on the oval it would be a different story.

Good luck!

Oil does affect power during a race. Happened to me in the NA Camaro Z28 RM Daytona race a few weeks back.

But, with my experience last night, some power loss won't make much of a difference but it will make the car a bit more sluggish accelerating out of corners.

:( I was so looking forward to racing this combo. I am removing myself from the reserve, see you next week.

Al

Oil does affect power during a race. Happened to me in the NA Camaro Z28 RM Daytona race a few weeks back.

But, with my experience last night, some power loss won't make much of a difference but it will make the car a bit more sluggish accelerating out of corners.

You felt the power loss during the race? How did you know?

How do the enduro and especially 24 hour races work then? By the end of that event you'd be running on a fumes. I've only run one A-spec enduro race and it was the Indy 500 and my lap times after 499 miles were exactly the same as the first lap.

In the Daytona race I mentioned, I was over 1 second slower a lap and almost 5 mph slower in a straight line in the last half of that race.

It doesn't affect races in A-Spec and only appears to be an online thing.

Lounge is open and setup for the road course. Change your oil and then come in and join us.

PS> 2 pit stops for me.

Back