GTP WRS-Online : Event 46 : Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 125 comments
I was thinking 2 too, does the car get lighter once the fuel comes off?

Yes, the car gets significantly lighter as those 100L of fuel burn off, but that doesn't always translate into better tire wear... usually lap times get faster and tire wear can actually get worse... it depends on the car and track, but I usually get better tire wear early in the race for some reason.

Registered and getting off early. Hopefully all will work out traffic wise and I"ll
get home in time.

Great racing guys. My oval setup wasn't as good as I thought it would be in the draft. Way too much understeer when I was behind others in turn 3/4. Killed my tires much faster than I was expecting and I don't think they would have made it another 10 laps.

Second that, my setup for both wasn't good, too much under steer and from tire wear, especially in the road race, couldn't get the car to turn into a corner. Second race front tire went to 0 so I kept slamming into the wall. Have to tweak setup for tonight's race. All in all not bad for first race

250712q.png

250712r.png

Good races today, never thought I would enjoy the oval so much but turned out to be really fun!

This was on about lap 22/23, think Noize had plowed into the wall and mcfizzle managed to miss him by centimetres! :crazy:

SuperSpeedway-TwinRingMotegi.jpg

I only ran two races on the oval last night, and in both I had terrible understeer in traffic. Not sure where to go with my set up either. On the road course I had the same issue which made me even slower than I normally am. I'm going to try the online tune mentioned in the first post and see if that helps on the road course.

Good racing guys! Congrats to the podium winners 👍

Unfortunatly wasn´t my night, did pretty badly :)
I don´t think I'm able to drive a oval properly.

Well, better luck next time.

I'm sorry, completely forgot to cancel my registration.:ouch:

Tim, I guess your vacation was too long, it looks like you're a bit rusty, 7th in quali and 3rd in the races :P

Mine is a hybrid of EDK's tunes that he posted for the offline combo.

Edit: I should say it's a hybrid that's had some tweaks to it.

GTPorsche
Mine is a hybrid of EDK's tunes that he posted for the offline combo.

Edit: I should say it's a hybrid that's had some tweaks to it.

What did u tweak,? I'm still new to the tuning business

Good races today, never thought I would enjoy the oval so much but turned out to be really fun!

This was on about lap 22/23, think Noize had plowed into the wall and mcfizzle managed to miss him by centimetres! :crazy:

SuperSpeedway-TwinRingMotegi.jpg

The look on my car's face explains it all. :lol:

Races were a lot of fun today. First race had a good race going after the turn two contact and wait for Litchi catch up. I moved up as high as 6th at the end of segment 2 and then started to make a couple small mistakes allowing JTV to overtake for position. I think spun at the first turn of sector 2, losing a spot and any chance at a good finish. The oval race was exciting, as was expected after yesterday's practice. I'm going to try and sweet talk the missues into allowing me to race tonight, no promises though.

Tim, I guess your vacation was too long, it looks like you're a bit rusty, 7th in quali and 3rd in the races :P

No doubt. My quali performance was pretty bad, but the field was pretty quick.

I sustained front left tire damage on the first lap and that put me back. It was a very good race after about lap 4 when I got a little room to breath. Twissy was untouchable and Porsche was very fast so I'm not sure I would have done much better regardless. I had a good battle with JTV and an extended battle with Ren. Fun stuff. People were all over in pit strategy so catching someone on bad tires and not being able to pass was also a factor (maybe I got helped by this a few times).

I might have a little more for Porsche if I can qualify better tonight. :sly:

GTPorsche
Other than ride height, I tweaked the dampers and springs. Those are an in-between of the two EDK setups.

Did you use the same setup for both races, or switch tunes in between?

I'm going to do my best to make the NA race, hopefully we get 6 drivers out.

Will need some tuning help though, just practiced for 20 mins and got nowhere (except pointing the wrong way).

I have two setups on the car to use. One is strictly road course, the other is oval.

In fact, with the understeer in the oval race, I might just go back to my original setup for that. It was unstable on it's own, but in a draft it might tighten up to where I want it to be.

Here's a pretty low quality image showing gaps and fast laps from the EU Road Course Race:

event46_res_eu_roadcourse.jpg

@ConRollins... I see you are signed up for reserve. I know you have a hard time making the beginning, but if by chance you are too late to get into the lounge by the time we start the road course you are welcome join the oval race. 👍 If you enter the lounge and the race or quali is underway just avoid using chat and feel free to observe. If you enter after road course qualification has begun you are welcome to race and start from the back. Qualifying will start at 7:00 PM Pacific sharp.

@Ren... How did you pull off that pretty 360 coming out of the final chicane on lap 20? I remember watching my mirror and seeing you spin and figuring you'd end up 15 seconds back and I could relax a little... but going down the straight after turn 2 I saw a triangle only about 5 seconds behind and I couldn't figure how that could be you. Turns out after watching the replay you perfected the Supra Pirouette. :lol:

Last edited:
👍 You are in the database now and you will show up in the next registration image refresh. You are signed up for NA as a reserve.

Still not seeing me (GTP_ZippyCat) on the NA registration image. FR were in as of last night. I'll be logging in around 2030 EDT to see what's what.

Still not seeing me (GTP_ZippyCat) on the NA registration image. FR were in as of last night. I'll be logging in around 2030 EDT to see what's what.

You are there on reserve now I promise. Something weird happening with the cached version of the image so it was stuck at the 7:30 AM update. Hopefully it's fixed now.

We've got 7 confirmed and 4 reserves at the moment.

WRP001
@ConRollins... I see you are signed up for reserve. I know you have a hard time making the beginning, but if by chance you are too late to get into the lounge by the time we start the road course you are welcome join the oval race. 👍 If you enter the lounge and the race or quali is underway just avoid using chat and feel free to observe. If you enter after road course qualification has begun you are welcome to race and start from the back. Qualifying will start at 7:00 PM Pacific sharp.

@Ren... How did you pull off that pretty 360 coming out of the final chicane on lap 20? I remember watching my mirror and seeing you spin and figuring you'd end up 15 seconds back and I could relax a little... but going down the straight after turn 2 I saw a triangle only about 5 seconds behind and I couldn't figure how that could be you. Turns out after watching the replay you perfected the Supra Pirouette. :lol:

IIRC, I hit pit the wall during the spin, which kept it on track and rotating, and just waited until I was pointing forward, then punched it. I was pretty annoyed with myself there, because my entire race plan was just to do the same steady laps over and over and hold on - and I changed it up there to try to get a run on you, or at least park on your bumper. Changing got me caught on the rumbles. Own foot successfully shot, but I was pleased with the recovery; should have just waited for your tires to fade a bit more first.

I only had the 25 minutes or so before the race to do all my online tuning and practice (and eat breakfast, 4:30am), so I was very leery of the rumbles, and very worried about braking points and grip when in draft - I was actually kind of relieved when I lost Shawn through being too tentative that way (especially 1+2, where I think you spotted you could capitalize later). I'm also glad you guys talked about the pit stops, because I had not the first clue about how long the tires would last. Both my setups adapted pretty well, I think; I'd share them if I had them. I had an entire car for the oval to swap in, because I wanted the three sheets on each.

The oval was nutty, but kinda fun; had no clue on tactics at all. More practice needed - but I avoid NASCAR rooms like the plague, because I don't want to screw up the experienced guys that tend to be in them. Also because driving bricks with 900hp, four gears and live axles is a bit weird.

Good luck today, guys!

EDIT:

If it helps anyone, What I remember of the oval tune was:

1. Take Blair's offline oval tune with Kev's gears. Bump the final down so that top speed increases by about 20kph - not sure about that figure. I had tweaked those further, but there would be very little in it. I hadn't balanced in-and-out of draft powerband before the race, either.
2. Change rear DF to max, RH to 0/0
3. Change LSD to 30/40/20
4. Camber and Toe were 3.0/0.0 and 0.00/-0.02. Less front camber might be better for wear, as Shawn said. I think I was experimenting with -.05 front toe offline, but I didn't have that today.

There were spring/damper changes, but I can't remember those. No crazy 1s on the back. I'd added rear DF back in, flattened RH and dropped the LSD Accel from 60 from my offline version, and lengthened the gears; I only had about 2 minutes to tweak the tune for online. Being too aggressive through 3-4 will murder the fronts in any case.

Last edited:
The oval was nutty, but kind fun; had no clue on tactics at all. More practice needed - but I avoid NASCAR rooms like the plague, because don't want to screw up the experienced guys that tend to be in them. Also because driving bricks with 900hp, four gears and live axles is a bit weird.

Good luck today, guys!

Don't lose the draft.
Don't hit anyone.
Don't get hit by anyone.
Don't be leading into the back straight on the final lap.

How's that for tactics :lol:
Way easier said than done though!

Back