GTP WRS-Online : Event 50 : F1 Summer Break Blues

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 144 comments
Looks like you guys had a great race, did anyone save a replay, I'd love to watch it

If one isn't posted by the morning I'll link you to mine.
I watched a good part of it, and it really is a good watch 👍 The start is just awesome from the 'tv' cam. Everyone pulls into their stall, little wait, engines reving..... go! Sweeeet!

I usually don't benefit by trying someone else's setup, but the one that ghskilla posted helped me get on the podium. Avoiding all the spins and crashes also helped. Zippy's spinning car barely missed me on lap 4, then Porsche had some major lag on lap 9. I was just far enough ahead to avoid any contact. I don't know if my one stop strategy really helped or not. I was pretty slow on lap 17 and 34.

Congratz on the win Marc and to jtv and Rob for the other two podiums. First podium for you Rob isn't it? 👍

event50_res_na.png

Lucas grabs fast lap honors. The fast laps were actually pretty close... quite a few guys within a couple tenths.

PS> I also updated the EU results to reflect JTV's one stop strategy.

If only I hadn't been lured off-track by that stupid Sand Castle Contest sign! :dunce: (nice one, Tim:lol:)

Thanks for a crazy experience everyone, that was quite the event to remember. I know I owe apologies to Kevin Miagi, Ren, and probably Jon and one other I can't remember at the moment. My mind was on those damn sand castles, you see. :lol:

Congrats Marc, Jon, and Rob for what was surely some consistent and fast driving. Hell, Jon had dropped back behind me at one point and still came back for the podium. 👍

If only I hadn't been lured off-track by that stupid Sand Castle Contest sign! :dunce: (nice one, Tim:lol:)

Thanks for a crazy experience everyone, that was quite the event to remember. I know I owe apologies to Kevin Miagi, Ren, and probably Jon and one other I can't remember at the moment. My mind was on those damn sand castles, you see. :lol:

Congrats Marc, Jon, and Rob for what was surely some consistent and fast driving. Hell, Jon had dropped back behind me at one point and still came back for the podium. 👍

Here's your prize for best sand castle:

thumbnail_spg90b.jpg

I could only afford the cheap camping version. :lol:

IThe start is just awesome from the 'tv' cam. Everyone pulls into their stall, little wait, engines reving..... go! Sweeeet!

Had a blast last night with you guys. Was very sceptic about this combo, but it was a lot of fun 👍

If only I didn't spin so much in my first stint, oh well....

The start was so nice like Marc said :dopey:
was pretty nervous :nervous:, but had a great start, boosting from 8th to 4th in the first corner.
Second and third stint went pretty well, before the race I predicted to finish last, so a 6th place isn't bad at all.

See you guys for the next one.

Currently uploading my bumper cam vid (EU Race) to youtube, its a 2.9gb file so probably wont be completed till about 9pm GMT lol

Edit: on the other hand, i'll wait till tonight and upload it through the night

Last edited:
Currently uploading my bumper cam vid (EU Race) to youtube, its a 2.9gb file so probably wont be completed till about 9pm GMT lol

Edit: on the other hand, i'll wait till tonight and upload it through the night

Can you run the formation lap and start from the TV cam View? It's becoming my favourite replay of all time - especially when the engine rev up!! :lol:

EU
Had a really good qualifying and started 4th on the outside of row 2.

7847130696_415f042e10_c.jpg

Got a good launch in 3rd gear but had no path through the cars in front. I stayed wide through turn 1 and didn't know where Marc was until my front right tyre bumped his rear left and on to the strip of grass I went and back to last(10th) on the run down to Eau Rouge.

I gave Mike a little room until sector 3 then closed in and made my move into the Bus Stop, also passing Shawn who was off track then Zippy who spun exiting. 7th and close to Al starting lap 2. A poor exit of turn 1 but not bad enough to lose the draft, Al, myself and Shawn dodged Noize early on Kemmel straight.

7847129996_3b7a7c7fbb_c.jpg

Then used the draft to pass Al well before the braking area and Shawn followed me through.

7847129352_1128a82fcc_c.jpg

I caught a slowed Ren before Poulhon and was back into 4th halfway through lap 2 :D.
Into 3rd late on lap 4 with Marc spinning and back into 4th on Kemmel straight, another spin for Marc(Eau Rouge this time) and into 3rd again on lap 6.

Twissy pitted after 10 laps and up into 2nd I went still with lots of tyre left(75-80%) so I thought I would just keep going to about halfway. Mohit pitted the next lap(11) and I was 1st but not by much with a quick pit stop from Gooners.
Braking late at the end of kemmel(lap 13) I stayed in 1st only for Mohit to go the long way around Poulhon making a very nice pass.

7847128450_8a80eb2cfc_c.jpg

Twissy caught and passed me on lap 16 and drove off into the distance. With my tyres now down below 50% I was slowing more than I had hoped. Into the pits after 17 laps and I could have read a short book waiting for 45 litres of fuel to be put in, I was in 4th when I left the pit.

With no traffic and fresh tyres I tried to get into a nice easy rythym but a couple of poor runs though Eau Rouge caused me trouble. Laps 23-28 were all 1'44 bar 1 which was my fastest at 1'43.671 on lap 25.

Marc had pitted again(24) and I was 3rd but could see his Ferrari getting slightly bigger each lap. I had succesfully defended at the end of Kemmel straight(29) but pushed too hard trying to regain a little margin and spun through Malmedy and then again the next corner.

Cruised around the remaining laps with Noize buzzing around my heels but a lap behind and finished a comfortable 4th :D.

NA report to come later.

Great pictures and play by play Jon! I didn't have time to caption every photo I am posting here. The photos will just have to speak for themselves and sorry for how many I am spamming the thread with!!!! Enjoy

Al

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_20copy.jpg

E/U starting grid
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_2copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchampscopy.jpg

N/A starting grid
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_21copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_22copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_8copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_6copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_4copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_19copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_23copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_41copy.jpg

As official photographer I sometimes take liberties and showcase myself!
GTP_Allibubba99F10atSpacopy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_18copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_27copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_29copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_34copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_39copy.jpg

copy.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_31copy.jpg

Stunning pics Al 👍
The Ferrari F10 looks so good in photomode.

I suggest to everyone to watch the replay of the start, amazing :)

EU formation lap & Race start - TV Cam as requested by Hydro. My bumper cam video is just processing so will post it very soon.

The start video was missing one thing: an audio track featuring Bob Varsha, "Here comes the lights, turn up the volume..."

The start video was missing one thing: an audio track featuring Bob Varsha, "Here comes the lights, turn up the volume..."

Or Murray Walkers famous 1light 2lights 3lights 4lights 5lights and its GO! GO! GO!

NA Race
Once again I had a good qualifying lap and started 3rd this time.
Shawn passed me at the first corner to put me in 4th and I followed through the lap. Missing my braking point by a lot for the bus stop and hit Porche so hard(very sorry) but luckily he only lost a couple of seconds and no positions. I on the other hand dropped back watching to see if he had any problems getting back on track and fell to 10th place.

On lap 3 I moved into 6th just ahead of Al and Lucas but a little off track excursion at the end of sector 2 put dirt on my tyres and 360 #1 happened the next corner and back to 9th.
Just missed Kev's stationary car exiting turn 1 then was passed by Gooners on Kemmel and I was still 9th.

A couple of laps later Mohit passed Al going into the bus stop and I took a tight line on the exit to take 8th down the start/finish straight. Saw lots of smoke from Tim and Lucas after Eau Rouge and somehow slipped through with Al following closely then taking back the position from me.
A good run up the inside at the bus stop and into 5th at the end of 6 laps and started to catch the flying ZippyCat in 4th.

On lap 10 I was just in Zippy's draft and tried going through Eau Rouge flat in 7th(worked once before :D) but lost the back and around I went for 360 #2(still doing 180kph after). What I had lost in the spin I mostly made back up during the rest of the lap but then touched the grass exiting blanchimont went nose first into the wall and completed 360 #3. I dived into the pits for fresh rubber and half my required fuel(22l) and came back out in 6th.

The next ten laps went really well for me, had no mistakes and no traffic after passing Al again before blanchimont on lap 12, and was in 3rd till robiker pitted after 16 laps and then I was 2nd. My 9th lap on the tyres was my fastest of the race and a PB, then pitted the next lap and was back out again in 3rd.
Although I was lapping really well I was around 30 sec behind Marc and falling further behind each lap. I lost a bit of concentration on lap 25, clipped the grass exiting poulhon went across the track, nose first into the wall and around again but this time twice to take my 360 count to 5 for the race.
I had no more dramas to the end and finished in 2nd place.

Although I had a better result and a faster overall time, I'm not sure if it was better than my EU race :D. Both races were lots of fun and the manual grid starts were awesome :cool:.

EDIT: Great photos Al 👍

My quick race report.

Qualify just out of the 2nd group and start 7th. Somehow end up in 4th after carnage in front on first lap. Somehow end up 3rd after carnage in front. Somehow end up 2nd after carnage in front. Minor crash, back to 3rd. Minor crash back to 4th. Major crash back to 9th. This is still in the first stint! My rear tires are shot from all these spins.

2nd and 3rd stints are much more solid with barely any tire wear at all. In the end I'm somehow chasing robiker for the last podium position when I crash exiting the final chicane trying to sniff his draft. Porsche takes over 4th as I'm face first in the wall and I finish out in 5th.

I think I manage to hold every position at some point during the race except first and last. Most of those positions at least twice. :boggled:

In the end I'm somehow chasing robiker for the last podium position when I crash exiting the final chicane trying to sniff his draft. Porsche takes over 4th as I'm face first in the wall and I finish out in 5th.

I was disappointed when I saw you against the wall. I was hoping I'd get a shot at catching you and trying to make a pass for 4th by the end of the race.

I was disappointed when I saw you against the wall. I was hoping I'd get a shot at catching you and trying to make a pass for 4th by the end of the race.

I saw you closing steadily, but that's not why I crashed. I had also been closing on robiker for 5 laps and finally could see him in the straights. It was my last chance to catch any draft and grab a podium spot so I went very aggressive exiting the chicane and paid the price.

That last chicane exit and the first corner exit gave me fits all night. Just when I would get comfortable and be a little more aggressive/carry a little more speed I would lose the tail and give back hard earned gains.

This would have been a good event to have a few days practice under my belt. :dunce:

After reviewing incidents that occurred during the NA race the admins have come to the following rulings:
  • Zippy cut the final chicane and did not relinquish the spot he gained bipassing the track boundaries and will be assessed a 30 second drive through penalty. The cutting of the chicane was not intentional, but was the result of a driving mistake, otherwise the result would be a DQ. However, Zippy had the opportunity to relinquish the spot he gained and did not do so hence a drive through penalty (30 secs) has been applied to his finish time.
  • Allibubba and gooners made contact on several occasions during the race and upon review it has been ruled that gooners made legitimate passing attempts and Allibubba did not (or was not able to) hold his chosen racing line exiting corners and thus he was responsible for the contact and the contact sent gooners off track a couple times (no major incident, but time lost). The admins are not ruling on intent in this case, however avoidable contact occurred multiple times (not a single incident) and thus a drive through penalty of 30 seconds will be assessed to Allibubba's finishing time.

Ultimately, adding 30 seconds to both drivers finish time does not change their finishing position, however the results have been updated to reflect the fact that both are now scored a lap down and will only get credit for completing 32 laps.

Also, a reminder to all drivers. Please refrain from using the mics to banter with (or make accusations to) another driver during the race. It's impossible to make an impartial judgement in real time or have enough situational awareness to understand exactly how things played out around you. If you have an issue or feel you were the victim of an infraction, mention it in the lounge after the race or better yet we encourage you to take a look at the replay and if the evidence supports your initial belief take it up with the driver via PM after the race. If the two of you can't come to a satisfactory understanding then get the admins involved and report the incident to us via PM.

Here are the updated results reflecting the penalties:

event50_res_na_adj.png

Finally managed to upload it. Bumper cam, formation lap begins at 2:30 👍

Theres a few heart in mouth moments!

I would like to apologize for my outburst during the race. It was inappropriate and it will never happen again. I would also like to apologize for my inability to control my car under close racing conditions, I will continue to work hard to learn how to drive with others around me.

My actions did not reflect well on my position as a race steward, I hope you will are forgive me. I look forward to racing with you all again.

Sincerely, Al

Back