GTP WRS-Online : Event 82 : Rental Car Upgrade - April 3

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 164 comments
So what the Heck happened at the start??????? I am at the back trying to get into my correct box which is occupied by another car and it's not happening and I look up and the field has left! I didn't put the pedal down until 3:09!!!! Lost two positions right away! But all turned out well in the end!

What a car to drive and to think I wanted to buy one some day. Not anymore!!!! I did manage to drop 1.5 seconds off my average lap after participating in both races. 👍 I am looking forward to the development race this saturday!

Did you have fuel issues Litchi? Wow were you closing fast in the last 2 laps! Off to watch the rest of the replay! Congrats to the podium winners and was it ever great to see a FULL ROOM for N/A this week!!!!! Keep it coming guys!

Al

Yes considering the tight track, tires and number of drivers it was a really good race. The skill level may have something to do with that :sly: Can you imagine that in a public lobby? :yuck: :lol:

Jerome

Yah, I looked at the replay and the start at the back was a mess. Looks like someone got in the wrong grid spot and it just turned into a mess. Guys going in reverse at 3:00.000.

The front was clean... nobody jumped and all well behaved. Here are the launch times... obviously all the stuff at the back made a mess out of their speeds.

Speeds (km/h) at 5 seconds (3:04.9887):

Tidgney 69
gooners 71
WRP 69
ASRacing 73
MadMax 72
Litchi 64
oink 69
JTV 72
EDK 61
Revoy 72
Sarkazmo 47
Jump_Ace 22
b00gee60 12
Patrick1 9
Allibubba 4
Tombstonplt 1

Best: ASRacing 👍
Worst: There was a problem in the back of the grid.

So what the Heck happened at the start??????? I am at the back trying to get into my correct box which is occupied by another car and it's not happening and I look up and the field has left! I didn't put the pedal down until 3:09!!!! Lost two positions right away! But all turned out well in the end!

What a car to drive and to think I wanted to buy one some day. Not anymore!!!! I did manage to drop 1.5 seconds off my average lap after participating in both races. 👍 I am looking forward to the development race this saturday!

Did you have fuel issues Litchi? Wow were you closing fast in the last 2 laps! Off to watch the rest of the replay! Congrats to the podium winners and was it ever great to see a FULL ROOM for N/A this week!!!!! Keep it coming guys!

Al

I could see behind where I was it was a bit messy at the back there, couldnt quite see what was going on. Sorry to hear you lost time & positions over it (which on this track are very important!)

Had fun in both races myself as well. Quite comfy sitting in the middle of the field (although of course would be lovely to be at the top) but I'm pleased with my finishes, particularly the NA race where I couldnt quite keep ASRacing behind me in the last lap or 2 for 5th place.

In both races I made good time off the grid compared with others around me and found a place or 2 both times I think. Maybe we should do more grid starts! Saw your name in the stream chat after I finished Twissy, what did you think?

In both races I made good time off the grid compared with others around me and found a place or 2 both times I think. Maybe we should do more grid starts! Saw your name in the stream chat after I finished Twissy, what did you think?

I'm definitely on board. Formation lap + grid start. More excitement + lower speeds on the first corner.

Definitely needs more co-ordination though, to make sure this mess up never happens again. If I'd seen it I definitely would've asked for a restart. But from the front all looked fine at the back.

Maybe one of the WRS race stewards near the back can call for a restart if this every happens again.

We can throw a few starts like this in the mix*. Takes longer and more coordination so we won't do it every week. We'll pick our spots and mix it up. I like the rolling start as well and it allows you to use the tranny trick and not worry about a very long first gear. :sly:

Here are the NA results:

event82_res_na.png

And the combined results (really cool to see 30 lines in that table!):

event82_res_combined.png

Finally here is the NTSC replay of the NA race for those who don't have it (if you want to enter pictures in the photo contest).

Event82_NA_Replay_NTSC.zip (available until the end of the submission period for photos)​

*Before we commit to doing this again we have to figure out went wrong to prevent it from happening again. And I'm not a big fan of allowing someone to call a restart though. Get it right the first time. :sly: We could have an abort message if it came before 3:00... say under 2:45 where we could delay the start until things are sorted out at 4:00.000 for example.

Last edited:
I like the rolling start as well and it allows you to use the tranny trick and not worry about a very long first gear. :sly:
Agreed 👍.

*Before we commit to doing this again we have to figure out went wrong to prevent it from happening again. And I'm not a big fan of allowing someone to call a restart though. Get it right the first time. :sly: We could have an abort message if it came before 3:00... say under 2:45 where we could delay the start until things are sorted out at 4:00.000 for example.

Yeah delay saves time instead of restart. Would've been easier with mics. But I meant if half the grid leaves leaving the others behind, in that case only a race admin can call for a restart.

That stinks we all know and most of us have been there. But don't re-enter the lounge to tell us you got DC'd... we all saw the message. Totally fine to have a rant in the thread though... understand the frustration... unfortunately it's part of this type of game... kind of like a blown engine in a real race.

Nothing you can do, but come back strong next week. All the practice wasn't a waste if you take the skills with you. And make practice fun so the journey is enjoyable and not just the destination. OK, my sensei moment is over. :lol:

Sorry about the reconnect, won't do it again if I get DC'd again. Everything was fine, no hint of lag even with a full race and then *CLICK* gone... I got no notice of losing my connection to PSN and I immediately loaded the OCD to see if I was still connected and it loaded right up. It was like a someone flipped a switch.

I know it wasn't a complete loss but after putting about 150-160 total laps into practice to get DC'd is a real kick in the nuts.

Sorry about the reconnect, won't do it again if I get DC'd again. Everything was fine, no hint of lag even with a full race and then *CLICK* gone... I got no notice of losing my connection to PSN and I immediately loaded the OCD to see if I was still connected and it loaded right up. It was like a someone flipped a switch.

I know it wasn't a complete loss but after putting about 150-160 total laps into practice to get DC'd is a real kick in the nuts.

First 'kick' always hurts more.....you get used to it :) But practise is never al loss....at least you will have a good pace on saturday in the Academy !!

Saw your name in the stream chat after I finished Twissy, what did you think?

Yeh you drove a solid race mate, very consistent, think you were running 3rd at one point, you had a few wall collisions but had some good battles with madmax and others.

I personally thought we were going to take the warm up lap at like 60mph, which didn't happen, this way we know we plenty of time to get the car order sorted out in that lap. I don't think there is a need to do a standing start, once you cross the start line, floor it, but not beforehand.

The problem last night was everyone was stopping on the wrong placement grid, so us in the back had to adjust, three times to it and the front had no idea. Luckily I noticed the group leaving, but the guys behind me didn't since they were sorting out the start grid. Rolling start is the way to go imo.

Jerome

We almost always do rolling starts... Madrid's turn 1 showed us in practice Tuesday that slower speeds were much better so we made the change after practice. I posted the change and said we were going to take the lap "briskly." Not only that I posted a video so nobody would be surprised. Can't do much more if guys don't follow thread.

We had no issues at all in EU, but this system is sensitive to one guy messing up and grabbing the wrong grid slot causing a last minute shuffle. That we learned for sure.

I agree though. Our normal rolling start is our default and first choice. It's quick and easy and no need to stage before we start race timer. 👍

This standing start is an option for select occasions. With bigger grids/no Mics when we think this is best a solution may be to just wait until 4:00 to start. With Mics a guy in back can just ask for a delay. Even without Mics the guys could have aborted the start with a quick note... We will know for next time to alert guys about that possibility.

OK... Now anxious to see the pics start streaming in!!

OK... Now anxious to see the pics start streaming in!!

I really like the Twissy's pictures. Great style 👍
I guess there will be more competition this week so I'll submit more than one picture this time :dopey:

Al

Al,

I think Boogee was ahead of both of us when he should have started at the back. I was happy that I managed one pass on you before I lost you and the rest of the field.... Oh well, I was improving and I did manage to get a time up before the timer ran out.

Don't think that I can make Sat as I'll be travelling back to Moose Jaw. Enjoy. It would've been good to run this with the other rookies errr development racers. :-(

Scott

Yah, I looked at the replay and the start at the back was a mess. Looks like someone got in the wrong grid spot and it just turned into a mess. Guys going in reverse at 3:00.000.

The front was clean... nobody jumped and all well behaved. Here are the launch times... obviously all the stuff at the back made a mess out of their speeds.

Speeds (km/h) at 5 seconds (3:04.9887):

Tidgney 69
gooners 71
WRP 69
ASRacing 73
MadMax 72
Litchi 64
oink 69
JTV 72
EDK 61
Revoy 72
Sarkazmo 47
Jump_Ace 22
b00gee60 12
Patrick1 9
Allibubba 4
Tombstonplt 1

Best: ASRacing 👍
Worst: There was a problem in the back of the grid.

Figured I'd start off slow and catch up! Something didn't quite work out though! :dunce:

I think Al might have been at 4 km/h... but in reverse so maybe -4 km/h would have been more accurate. :lol:

I know at 3:00.000 when the rest of us launched he was definitely in reverse.

And yes, b00gee60 was in the wrong spot. I recorded those speeds at 5 seconds into the race (3:05) in track order... he qualified last and didn't make up 3 spots in 5 secs so started at the wrong position. Everyone else was still in quali order except Revoy had passed Sark... Sark had a bad launch and Revoy a very good launch it looks like so that's possible.

I noticed a few guys used the hand brake at the start instead of the foot pedal... tricky buggers.

I could see behind where I was it was a bit messy at the back there, couldnt quite see what was going on. Sorry to hear you lost time & positions over it (which on this track are very important!)

Had fun in both races myself as well. Quite comfy sitting in the middle of the field (although of course would be lovely to be at the top) but I'm pleased with my finishes, particularly the NA race where I couldnt quite keep ASRacing behind me in the last lap or 2 for 5th place.

Yeah I was going to ask the same question. I was sitting in the back with Tombstone waiting for the start of the race then suddenly 3 cars came back to us and went behind us. :nervous: I didn't know what was going on and by the time I tried to figure it out the race started so I hit the gas. I knew I was in the wrong starting spot so when the cars behind me needed to pass I let them have the position knowing they were faster then I. It was crazy and I hope I did the right thing and didn't hold anyone up. It was a fun race though.

Everyone else was still in quali order except Revoy had passed Sark... Sark had a bad launch and Revoy a very good launch it looks like so that's possible.

Yeah, I had a bad start. I was behind EDK in the order and shortly before the race was set to begin he started reversing back (presumably to fix improper alignment of the grid) so I had to keep going back until I was lined up properly again. I changed my view so I could make sure I was in the right grid position marker box and before I knew it there was like 2 seconds until the start. So I was rushing to get my view switched back to the interior, getting on the brake, and getting on the gas to launch and then we were off. Revoy shot forward like a rocket, dunno how he managed that launch but it was really quick. If only I'd had a few more seconds I might've been able to launch at a respectable rate. At about lap 5 I was checking my RA menu because the car just didn't feel right and the throttle kept cutting out for an instant at the crest of hill after the first turn (started me thinking that my controller was going south) and it was then that I realized I still had TCS=5 on! So I wasn't making as good a pace as I could have been. And then of course the DC. The whole thing was a fluster cluck for me. At this point I'm surprised the controller didn't explode in my hands and burn my house down to boot as good as my luck was running. :)

Sark

We need to work on the proper way to get everyone to their grid spot.

If you watch F1.. the pole sitter goes first with a bit of a gap and takes his spot. Then 2nd goes with a gap to 3rd and so on... it's not everyone trying to roll in at once in formation. That way the guys who can't see the front aren't guessing.... just leave a couple seconds for the guy in front and follow and then when he stops there's no question where you should go.

We'll work on the procedure before we do it again.

As for the qualifying out lap... we need to work on that too. Several weeks in a row drivers are sending complaints about the gaps or people trying to adjust half way through the out lap messing things up for all.

We'll be announcing a new procedure for that shortly.

As for the qualifying out lap... we need to work on that too. Several weeks in a row drivers are sending complaints about the gaps or people trying to adjust half way through the out lap messing things up for all.

We'll be announcing a new procedure for that shortly.

Maybe a more structured start from the pits? Everyone qualifying has to be in the pits at the same time and the steward then tells you when to go via the chat giving 10-15 seconds between issuing directives. That way the steward controls the gap instead of the drivers having to literally guess when to leave the pits as we cannot see the map overlay to verify who has left the pits, where they are on the track, and who should leave the pits next. I know this puts extra work on the backs of the stewards but it would assure an orderly field for qualifying.

Sark

I looked at the NA start... what a mess. much worse than I thought as it seemed fine at the front.

I have a video... but warning... it's pretty scary. :boggled:

It actually started near the front. A driver or two went over their designated stall. Guys behind were so close they followed them... drivers back up and driver now in their spot has to back up... begin chaos.

It would be comical except that it put a serious dent in a few races. I'm glad none of you back there who got completely messed up didn't just quit and some of you actually ended up with decent results. Good for you.

We won't let this happen again. We need to spread out more as we approach the final corner, get single file and get to our spots one at a time. That way any small issue isn't multiplied to the back of the grid.

It would be comical except that it put a serious dent in a few races.

Seriously though, that was actually pretty funny. :-D

It could be worse, you could have gotten repeatedly disconnected and then have one of your gigabit switches go offline requiring the entire duration of the race to get everything back online :-(

Sorry i missed my starting place, i recovered pretty quick but given the nature of the grid layout with the other markings on the track.. i think on other tracks where it is easier to pin point your grid position it would work fine..

Quick and dirty highlights of the start and finish of the EU race.

Seriously though, that was actually pretty funny. :-D

It could be worse, you could have gotten repeatedly disconnected and then have one of your gigabit switches go offline requiring the entire duration of the race to get everything back online :-(

Good point :crazy:

Being near the back in the NA race, it was hard to tell what was going on. Nice to see the video of what actually happened. I know I was still trying to line up, when the leaders were racing. Oh well, it was a fun race. It looked like an accordian effect, as those in front moved back, the group near the back were still arranging as the race started. I have no complaints, just want to get some experience with on line racing, trying to be a clean driver and not be a hinderance.

Quick and dirty highlights of the NA Race (start and finish).

Had a couple goes at passing gooners for the lead on the last lap, but just not enough room to pull it off cleanly without major contact. Tidgney was lurking and closing in and I guess ran out of gas on the last lap.

Back