GTP WRS-Online : Event 82 : Rental Car Upgrade - April 3

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 164 comments
In terms of the start, would it be too much hastle to get rid of a "designated" start time? Have the steward nearest the back who can see when everyone is set in the correct places and ready to race, quickly type into chat a nice round number about 15 seconds ahead. For example if it was 3:07.000 when everyone is in position, steward just simply types a time such as 3:30.000.

Other than messing up with the total race time for the race results afterwards, would it really be the end of the world if it just takes that extra half a minute and get a perfect start.

Had a couple goes at passing gooners for the lead on the last lap, but just not enough room to pull it off cleanly without major contact. Tidgney was lurking and closing in and I guess ran out of gas on the last lap.

Look at the tires we both had (3:40-3:44) :crazy:. I know I pit a lap before you but :lol:.

Look at the tires we both had (3:40-3:44) :crazy:. I know I pit a lap before you but :lol:.

I know.. had I known your tires were such junk I would have started attempting to pass aggressively with 2-3 to go. I was strategically staying behind and lifting at times out of fear of Tidgney catching both of us with his yet fresher tires. I figured if we started battling it would take him about half a lap to be right on our bumpers...

Seeing your tires on replay I wish I had started pushing the envelope earlier... had I gotten by even with Tidgney right on our tails you two battling would have given me all the gap I needed. And who knew he would run out of gas anyway. Oh well... the only reason I was in that position to begin with was drafting for about 25 of the 31 laps. Honestly I was caught by surprise being that close and didn't have much of a plan in my head. :dunce:

PS. Here are my photo entries this week:

WRP-001 : 50 Meters
event82_mustang_wrp1.jpg

WRP-002 : Twissy's Winning Pass
event82_mustang_wrp2_winningpass.jpg

WRP-003 : Signage
event82_mustang_wrp3_signage.jpg

And just for fun a montage of the first turn:
event82_turn1montage.jpg

Last edited:
Tidgney was lurking and closing in and I guess ran out of gas on the last lap.

haha I was closing in, at about 2+ seconds a lap ;p. But a couple of things happened at the end :(. On Lap 30 at the hairpin you'll notice I don't accelerate out at all, that's because im trying desperately to reach the remote as my TV's begun a power countdown lol. So I lost 3 seconds there :(, then ran out of fuel on the last lap going down the backstraight!! I had put in alot of fuel so I think I must have just burned more up in the 2 pitstops ;p! Was fun for the most part though :).

My submission for Week 82

Plaza Independencia

Plaza Independencia by Willitchi, on Flickr (click here to view the original picture)

El Bolsa De Madrid

Bolsa De Madrid by Willitchi, on Flickr (click here to view the original picture)​

Madrid is one of the city I've visited so I decided to focus on the monuments more than racing. With different styles than usual - increased sharpness on the first one and paint effect on the second one.

EDIT:
@Mods: I noticed that the James's entry isn't the picture in the showroom. You can find his submission here 👍

Last edited:
OK, will look into Twissy's picture. I collect them so if it's wrong it was my mistake.

Litchi... did you see your winning pic from Spa in the news section today? :sly:

EDIT: Moved Twissy's proper entries to the contest post.

PS> I've been to Madrid twice myself... beautiful place. 👍 The first time as part of a trip to Spain for the Seville Expo '92 (Worlds Fair). It's been a long time so I don't remember the streets. :sly:

Last edited:
haha I was closing in, at about 2+ seconds a lap ;p. But a couple of things happened at the end :(. On Lap 30 at the hairpin you'll notice I don't accelerate out at all, that's because im trying desperately to reach the remote as my TV's begun a power countdown lol. So I lost 3 seconds there :(, then ran out of fuel on the last lap going down the backstraight!! I had put in alot of fuel so I think I must have just burned more up in the 2 pitstops ;p! Was fun for the most part though :).

I burned more fuel in the first stint of the NA race also. I pitted on the same lap and had 2 L fewer in the tank versus the first race. It was because I spent so much time in clean air in NA.

I ran some tests with Pekka on Tuesday night. I followed him closely using his draft, but not attempting to pass or battle... our pace was about the same anyway... and after 16 laps my fuel consumption per lap was 5.45 L whereas Pekka in the lead was getting 5.9L per lap. When running about the same number of laps in clean air by myself the fuel consumption was 5.75 L per lap.

I think there are differences between drivers and their approach, but 5.75 - 5.45 = 0.3L per lap savings was due to being in the draft, lifting early, feathering brakes, etc.

Over 31 laps that's significant... almost 10 L or almost 2 laps of fuel saved in the draft.

Some people have claimed being in the draft uses more fuel (higher revs), but I have yet to see proof of it ever. Not saying it can't happen, but I've measured the impact 3-4 times like this and I always save fuel in drafting situations.

Some people have claimed being in the draft uses more fuel (higher revs), but I have yet to see proof of it ever. Not saying it can't happen, but I've measured the impact 3-4 times like this and I always save fuel in drafting situations.

Probably depends on your approach during the drafting. If you are pushing for an overtake, going higher on the revs, harder braking, getting right up on the bumper or going 2 wide etc trying to force a mistake, then you might end up burning more fuel. If you play it conservative like you said, lifting early, using the draft to just stay behind and just drive to stay behind, then your right, you will be saving fuel.

My photo entries this week!

Al

Allibubba99-01 Banco Espanol
CircuitodeMadrid_8copy_zps2eb2138c.jpg

Allibubba99-02Mustang in Spain
CircuitodeMadrid_6copy_zps2167c13f.jpg

Allibubba99-03 Fountain
CircuitodeMadrid_17copy_zpse66c8893.jpg

And the winner is....

8617250065_afd96b9a91_c.jpg

Here are the voting results...

event82_res_pow.png