GTP WRS-Online : Event 83 : Finale di Enzo - April 10

Nice racing, guys. :cheers: Congrats Mohit, Jon, and Tidgney on the podiums.

Had fun watching the stream, Paul. 👍

Week83EUResults_zps150cc609.png

Congrats to the podiums 👍

Utterly blistering Q lap with wear on, Tidgney :crazy:

My brain wasn't quite switched on for racing today, but I hadn't set my goals very high with so little practice. The car was a certainly a handful, and must have felt like a bit of a dropped-in-the-deep end trial for our newcomers - welcome on board! Remember, some of the guys have been running the offline combo for a week.

Thanks for the patience, folks. It really helps.

Any idea when the lobby is gunna be "opened"? The race does start in 40 minutes right? I haven't totally messed up my time have I? lol.

Plan to watch the feed if there is one. Good luck guys.

Shame you couldnt get back into the lobby Strop. Thanks everyone for the race nonetheless.

Im getting entry refused due to network incompatibility with host.

Strop, try a speed test and a ping test and report your results here.

If your bandwidth is fine and ping response (latency) is fine we should talk about your router... Things like DMZ, UPnP or even port forwarding.

When you run a connection test in the XMB menu on your PS3 what does it say? Take a screen shot or copy down the results.

Here are the NA results:

event83_res_na.png

and the combined results:

event83_res_combined.png

Everything looks okay on the XMB menu, NAT Type 2, no UPnP everything else okay. I didn't have the ports forwarded though, it's been a very long time since I first started playing online and I've changed routers since then. I've set up the various ports now, as well as put in the PS3 as the DMZ host.

Speed test checks out okay although I realized only running on one line right now so at have to check that out but even at half speed I've got ping=27ms, down=6Mb/s and up=1Mb/s

P.S. I did watch via Oink TV, some interesting racing there ...

Last edited:
NAT type 3 is bad, very bad. You want NAT 2 (or NAT 1 which is not easy to setup or convenient).

You need to either get UPnP enabled and recognized or set up a DMZ on your router and put your PS3 on it. NAT 3 is your primary problem... bandwidth and ping are fine.

If you can't get UPnP or DMZ you can port forward some ports. They are listed in the online manual in GT5... i don't have access to it now.

This is an OK resource, but some images are missing: The ULTIMATE ultimate guide to fixing your NAT

Ran out of fuel 2/3rds of the way through the last lap. :(

I just can't catch a break.

Sark

Most of us have run out of fuel one time or another. I have done it on 3 - 4 separate occasions :).

EVERY race I calculate fuel consumption per lap by doing a long stint alone, and then seeing how much I've fuel I've used.
So for this race I calculated 5.75 L/lap. I multiplied that by 32 to get 184. Subtract 100 to get what I need to put in extra during the race (84 L).

Well done Paul and Pekka for the podium! Thanks to all for coming out :cheers:.

Last edited:
Sorry i didnt notice that you guys where lending out run in F40's :(( , i had a really busy day came home about half 5/6 an jumped straight into my F40 with 482bhp so their i am flying around daytona trying to put miles on it :( ran it into 489bhp but was to late.. JTV msg me that he could send 1 if needed.. i then sent him a msg asking if he could but it was too late.. sorry guys.. Time to test these NASCAR'S :)

Congrats to the podiums 👍

Utterly blistering Q lap with wear on, Tidgney :crazy:

Haha cheers ;), could have gone a bit quicker to but made a few mistakes ;). This combo really suited me if I ran the TT I'm sure I would have come very highly in that as well if I'd have had the time to put a decent effort in :).

As for the race it didn't go well, was involved in quite a few incidents :(. I must admit it didn't help being so much different in some braking areas, which is why some of you may have seen me going sideways as I had to slam on to avoid you lol.

Nevermind though onwards and upwards.

Please post your entries for this weeks photo contest here! Entry deadline is Friday at 8:00 PM Pacific time!

All the details can be found here...WRS Weekly photo contest

Now I am off to capture some moments myself!!!!!

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Oink... the feeds were very fun to watch. Again, frustrated at times with the zoomed in map and lack of awareness, but it's your race. :lol: :lol: (talk about a demanding audience :sly:).

The NA race was especially fun because you were battling for the lead and the gaps were always meaningful to your battle. I was predicting strategy and constantly communicating to your "audience". Bart (who must have skipped his sleep) showed up and we were basically giving a TV style "play by play" of the race... explaining what you were doing in corners... splits... gaps to gooners, fuel and tire strategy and progress, etc.

We all let out a major "gasp" when you let gooners short pit you. You were doing so well in his draft we wanted you to stay there. I had predicted his move on that lap on the chat a couple laps ahead and had all the guys watching for it. Some of them didn't get the concept so we went over the "undercut theory". :lol: Finally, Mohit got inside you on parabolica on my predicted lap and we all knew exactly what was happening. You had a very good lap though after that, which is the best defense to the strategy, but that pit penalty due to speeding on entry cost you.

Your second stint was very good in the early laps. You were like a machine through Ascari on most laps. As the tires wore out we saw some issues with Lesmo 2 and then Parabolica. On lower grip tires, it became clear you were entering both with a bit too much speed and it was burning your left fronts and also making it hard to return to the throttle. If we had a radio to you we would have tried to give you some adjustments. :lol: Bart and I were discussing your line on the chat and how it could be adjusted to relieve some stress on the tires... other guys were asking questions, etc.

Quite fun actually. I would imagine it would be a ton of fun to watch a race like that, but have mics and be able to broadcast the entire thing via audio to go with the video. It's really quite interesting if there is another guy there (like Bart) to bounce things off and give different opinions.

I hope your twitch audience enjoyed it. :lol: I know we also tried to recruit them to join the registry. The ones who were not so confident I kept pushing the Academy and D-league concepts.

Anyway, nice race, congratz on the podium 👍... had it not been for that one lap near the end you were going to be within 10 seconds of gooners in the end.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the feed next Wednesday as I'll be on a plane back to California during the events.

My entry for the picture competition:

Sjaak1-Wings
jt8eja.jpg

Sjaak2-Smoked Tires
ta2ccm.jpg

Sjaak3-Pekka
294nkzl.jpg

Sounds like you guys had alot of fun Tim. About the map, I do totally know what you mean, maybe next week I will try it with a full track map and see if it is going to be annoying for me. If not then I can use that full map every time.

Compared with the first race, I felt I had Lesmo down much tighter, getting onto the curb on the right hand side coming into lesmo 2, and onto the power earlier on the exit. Generally alot smoother. Also had the high speed Grande down in terms of entry speed I felt. That pass I made on Gooners during that first stint on Grande was so intense!

My lack of experience I think is probably what got the better of me in terms of pitting. First off, my pit penalty was really sloppy, i realised a second too late, but couldn't slow down enough. Then I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was. I had the feeling Gooners was gunna short pit, and wasn't sure what the best strategy was. In the end I just told myself to stick to my plan, and see how it turned out. From what I can tell, Gooners did a very short first pit? Because he ended up quite far ahead of me after I came out of the pits, so even had I pitted with him, he may have raced out ahead of me anyway?

As you said, without my off with 1 lap to go, would have just been 10 secs behind, but at the end of the day, I'm more than happy with my first podium, and 2nd place no less! 👍

Sounds like you guys had alot of fun Tim. About the map, I do totally know what you mean, maybe next week I will try it with a full track map and see if it is going to be annoying for me. If not then I can use that full map every time.

Compared with the first race, I felt I had Lesmo down much tighter, getting onto the curb on the right hand side coming into lesmo 2, and onto the power earlier on the exit. Generally alot smoother. Also had the high speed Grande down in terms of entry speed I felt. That pass I made on Gooners during that first stint on Grande was so intense!

My lack of experience I think is probably what got the better of me in terms of pitting. First off, my pit penalty was really sloppy, i realised a second too late, but couldn't slow down enough. Then I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was. I had the feeling Gooners was gunna short pit, and wasn't sure what the best strategy was. In the end I just told myself to stick to my plan, and see how it turned out. From what I can tell, Gooners did a very short first pit? Because he ended up quite far ahead of me after I came out of the pits, so even had I pitted with him, he may have raced out ahead of me anyway?

As you said, without my off with 1 lap to go, would have just been 10 secs behind, but at the end of the day, I'm more than happy with my first podium, and 2nd place no less! 👍

I think gooners took the minimum amount of fuel on his first stop... or close... only he can tell us for sure. But if he's trying to short pit you he's going to do anything he can to make it as short as possible... you put in 45? so that created some gap by itself (which you made up for on the 2nd stop). Plus your last lap on used tires (1'48) versus his lap on fresh tires (1'45). Plus your pit penalty which was a few seconds at minimum (not exactly sure how that works).

Even if you pitted with him you would have had to guess how much fuel he was going to take... otherwise he would have come out ahead anyway... but if you can pit just ahead of him and he gets delayed while you get into the pits... that's always a good thing. :lol:

That one pass on gooners at Grande was pretty awesome... we were holding our breath on that one and didn't expect it. 👍

PS> On the map, if you use bumper cam with rear view it's not too bad to use full track map (I do always as I like to see the big picture). But you could try one more zoom level out too... just to give a bit more perspective... do the best you can for your race and the feed is obviously secondary anyway. Too bad it's not easier to change like brake balance so you could change it based on the circumstance... stay zoomed in for the early laps and zoom it out as you naturally get more space into the race.

I went 18L/67L in my two stops.

I must admit I was pretty surprised at your pace Paul. I think you were equal to me in terms of pace. Usually in these draft fests a slower guy can keep up to a faster guy (like I did on Tidgney in EU race), but it wasn't the case in the NA race. Massive 👍 to you.

But yeah Paul you're right, experience comes into play. Not just strategy wise but even out on track. In the 3rd stint, you were making up around 2-3 tenths on me every lap. But a small mistake here and there would give me back those few tenths. Plus as Tim and Bart observed, once your tires started wearing, you were pushing too hard and that wasn't helping your case. Tim has already dissected the strategy pretty well :lol:. I need to come up with new tricks, he knows all my old ones :sly:.

Once your in this position a few times, you (hopefully) learn from your mistakes and are able to challenge at the top more consistently. I had a lot of fun racing with you :)

My entries for this week.

Al

Taking a Peek / Allibubba-01

This can't be good / Allibubba-02

Sjaak Kickin it up at the beach! / Allibubba-03

Last edited:
I must admit I was pretty surprised at your pace Paul. I think you were equal to me in terms of pace. Usually in these draft fests a slower guy can keep up to a faster guy (like I did on Tidgney in EU race), but it wasn't the case in the NA race. Massive 👍 to you.

Thanks man, that means alot. There was alot I learned being able to race at the head of the pack, and like you said, hopefully I can be able to be up there more often now.

Little Piggy goes to market, in an F40 :D:tup:
8642319702_c908875e1c_b.jpg

Getting flashed by the Moff
8642319578_29b5f0ae66_b.jpg

Last edited:
My entries (be gentle, I chickened out last week):

Ren-1

"Translate it. Go on, really"

Ren-2

"Ah, Ascari, always relaxing"

Sorry i didnt notice that you guys where lending out run in F40's :(( , i had a really busy day came home about half 5/6 an jumped straight into my F40 with 482bhp so their i am flying around daytona trying to put miles on it :( ran it into 489bhp but was to late.. JTV msg me that he could send 1 if needed.. i then sent him a msg asking if he could but it was too late.. sorry guys.. Time to test these NASCAR'S :)

I do apologize for this, your first reply said you didn't need one so I jumped on track and then didn't notice the second message 10 minutes later.

I had mixed day really, starting with a poor effort in qualifying skating around the edge of Parabolica on my second flyer. I still thought my first lap was decent at 46.5 and was surprised to be way down in 10th.
My race was very nice ;), couple of tiny errors, an awesome battle with Paul(Hass) and more battling with Tidgney(cheers for all that draft :sly:) plus a few others along the way :D.
With 4 to go I passed Tidgney on the straight for 2nd and he slid off track giving me a healthy margin and after Mohits error I was only 2.x seconds from the lead starting the final lap, Mohit held on and I remained second:tup:. Great racing everyone.
After my rush subsided I was a little tired so went for a snooze, and I woke up 2 hours after the race had finished :( Sorry for the no show.

EDIT: Nice catch Ren, I had no idea that was there.

Last edited:
Back