GTP WRS-Online : Event 85 : You Only Live Twice - April 24

I went for an early pit hoping to make Allibubba chase me hard enough to make a major mistake but he was just too good for me. Add in my usual mistakes and that was that, started in fourth, ended in fourth.

Sark

WRS-OL%2085%20NA.png

WRS-OL%2085%20Com.png

Despite the lack of drivers last night it was still fun! Thanks for coming guys! Had a great battle with Sark, he chased me for the first half of the race and short pitted me. Then it was my turn to chase! I didn't catch him till the second to last lap. Good times!

Al

I guess the one stopper was truly the winner here. I was 1 second faster in the NA race when I stopped only once, and I made more mistakes in that race so definately faster. Annoying because I spent a good amount of time running some long stints to figure which would be faster, and I had it down for 2 stops... lol. Never mind, great racing as usual thanks to all who came out.

I had a ton of fun last night. I really need to figure out my pit strategy out. This time I took on too much fuel. Ugh:crazy: I was staying near Al and Sark too give them a run but my pit killed me. Overall if I look back at when I started I have improved sooo much. Thanks to the league and my fellow racers for all the help.👍

PS. I haven't hit any hay bails lately...hope for a track in the near future w bails. I have it out for those things...LOL

I guess the one stopper was truly the winner here. I was 1 second faster in the NA race when I stopped only once, and I made more mistakes in that race so definately faster. Annoying because I spent a good amount of time running some long stints to figure which would be faster, and I had it down for 2 stops... lol. Never mind, great racing as usual thanks to all who came out.

Yeah,I was highly suprised to see you and caine in the pit after,11/12 laps?
When I saw you again in the pit with 10 to go I realised you did a 2 stopper.:)
The pit lane is so long It never crossed my mind someone whould do that:scared:
At least it gave a nice twist for the last stint to stay ahead of you and caine,which partly succeeded.:)

Great combo,like to nominate it as a classic.👍

I couldn't decide if a 1 or 2 stop would be better as I seemed to punish my tires in practice.. so figured a 2 stop would give me fresher tires over the course of the race. I was right with Silver quite happily going along not paying any attention to what lap I was on, from lap 10 my tires started to drop off and he started to pull away for the next few laps, I was then right between a 1 stop and 2 stop... and after losing 4 seconds a lap I decided to get on some fresh rubber. But this put me back in the pack, I got stuck behind skills for a few laps, kept messing up last corner and couldn't gain enough down the straight, eventually managed to get past him and gained some places as the 1 stoppers pitted. Then had a big tankslapper which put me in the wall and oink passed me. Second stop I completely misjudged my fuel and lost about 5 seconds to oink. By then I was pretty disheartened to drop from 3rd to 7th purely on tire wear, and the gap to oink stayed the same for a few laps. Then I noticed we were gaining on some of the 1 stoppers, so gave it one final push, managed to get closer to oink while passing skills and ren, but it was too late by then and race over.

If I hadn't have made some silly mistakes I would have finished pretty much even with JTV so 3rd where I started would have been possible on a 2 stop especially as I would have had fresh tires towards the end. But Twissy + Silv were in a league of their own, untouchable, so good job.

Nonetheless, it was a good race, always seem to end up in a fight with oink :P

Most of the time I am scared to overtake, after being warned last time...

Clean passing can be difficult at city tracks. We (WRS-Online) always error on the side of caution and contact avoidance, but these races are not supposed to be a parade either. If a drivers follows the OLR when making a pass he/she will be fine. If a driver is in doubt whether he/she can make a move without making contact then that driver is better off waiting for a better spot. If a driver makes an error/causes contact now and then attempting a pass they will not be penalized, everyone makes mistakes, as long as they make the proper contact concessions after contact per the OLR.

As you get more comfortable and familiar with the other drivers in this series you will know better how to pick your spots and where other drivers weaknesses are. Once drivers get to know you some of them will give you room early in the race if you a clearly faster (not so much late in the race). Some drivers fight for positions no matter what lap their on... you have to feel that out and other drivers should expect the same courtesy (or lack of) in return. Just like real racing: display courtesy and your likely to see it in return. If they don't return the courtesy then put that driver on your "fight hard (but clean) no matter what" list.

Here are the key points from the OLR with respect to passing:

Aggressive driving is strictly prohibited.

No careless driving. Always show respect for your fellow racers. Be careful. Show some patience. Understand the limitations of your car and yourself and drive accordingly. Driving online in a racing sim is NOT exactly the same as real life racing in every respect.

Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs.

Pushing other cars in turns or pushing them off the track is strictly prohibited.

Leaning on other cars is strictly prohibited in any situation.

The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

If sufficient overlap is established before the turn-in point, then the behind driver has the right to sufficient side room. The ahead driver must also leave sufficient side room for the behind driver. This means that each driver has a right to their respective "line", or side of the track, right up to the exit point. Neither driver should squeeze the other toward the inside or outside of the corner during the apex or exit.

If an ahead driver has clearly made an error to warrant a passing move, a behind driver may attack their position, with due caution and care, regardless of whether there was any pre-existing overlap. However, the overtaking driver must still avoid contact. Small errors by the ahead driver may not justify a passing move. The ahead driver getting a bit out of shape at times doesn’t give you an automatic right to pass. You still have to judge if their error allows for a safe pass to take place.

Your goal on turn 1 should not be to get to the front, but rather to convert a double wide start field to a single file running order. Look ahead more than one car. Due to field compression, a compact field will run slower through the first few turns than a spread out one. Leave some extra space, but not too much. Drivers behind you won't be expecting sudden braking.

Leading cars have the right to choose their own line down a straight. They can change their racing line once while driving down a straight (Move from the outside line to the inside, or vice versa). As they approach the next corner, they can return to the racing line of their choice However, they're not allowed to change their line when the behind driver is directly behind and changes his line to try and make a pass. If your movement causes an accident, you're responsible.

Leading cars have the right to take their line of choice through corners. I.e. they may drive a defensive line around the inside of a corner to protect their position, thereby forcing an attacking driver to try to pass around the outside. This is not blocking and is part of normal racing etiquette. In fact, apart from the restrictions of rule 10:A, a leading driver can drive any line which they feel is the most inconvenient for any following car to try to pass them.

Some pics of the race.

34ifcw5.jpg

2a6ntht.jpg

2q3usde.jpg

9fr587.jpg

kdoj03.jpg

15z4183.jpg

6ir695.jpg

fc4l1.jpg

15ojspx.jpg

Last edited:
With only six of us for the NA race it pretty much ended up as three pairs battling for that one place. I'd love to see this race with a full roster. The track is VERY wide and with 32 there'd be plenty of chances to draft and pass. As it was, once a group got away, they were gone for good. With a best lap difference of only a couple of seconds one mistake hurts really bad and makes it almost impossible to do any catching up. I know the couple of mistakes I made in the last half were the difference between Ali and I having a photo finish and me losing by 4 seconds as I did. Was fun but a full roster would be a blast!

Sark

Most of the time I am scared to overtake, after being warned last time...

As you get more comfortable and familiar with the other drivers in this series you will know better how to pick your spots and where other drivers weaknesses are.

I can totally relate to this. Before joining the WRS a couple months back, I hadn't had much 'competitive' online racing experience, just lots of offline practice and such, so first few races, my confidence was very low just like you said, scared to move for overtakes, or being afraid to be defensive (safely of course) etc.

Right now, I'm still learning lots, and I think just getting experience under your belt will teach you the most in this respect. I am still a long way off being fully confident driving in close proximity to others, but my confidence is way above where it was 2 months ago.

Just keep at it, don't lose faith in your ability, and you will improve tonnes in due time. As I was telling you the other day, I have been setting myself tricky but achievable challenges for every race I am in. Helps me push myself, but also allows me to not disapoint myself, but not expecting too much of myself. Will help you build up your abilities, and slowly you will see yourself going up that results table 👍

PS. AMAZING shots sjaak, loved some of those to bits :D

As I was telling you the other day, I have been setting myself tricky but achievable challenges for every race I am in. Helps me push myself, but also allows me to not disapoint myself, but not expecting too much of myself. Will help you build up your abilities, and slowly you will see yourself going up that results table 👍

I remember you mentioning your goal of beating me in a race :lol: You are certainly getting there based on a few feeds I watched including the race last night and the Monza race where you gave gooners a handful.

There is a very slight chance now I can make EU next week so you might have a good chance with me being quite rusty.

I remember you mentioning your goal of beating me in a race :lol: You are certainly getting there based on a few feeds I watched including the race last night and the Monza race where you gave gooners a handful.

There is a very slight chance now I can make EU next week so you might have a good chance with me being quite rusty.

Haha, yes that was one of my long term goals! :sly: Would be good to see you back in action on wednesday.

Back