GTP WRS-Online (*GT6*): Event 121 : The Legacy, (really?) V2.0 - Races Complete - January 15, 2014

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 427 comments
Great Racing Tidgney! I want to say your driving in that video is Exhibit A in the "How we want you to drive in the WRS". 👍
  • Did you initiate contact with another driver, even minor contact? Not once. 👍
  • Did you have a run/opportunities to make risky passes that would have highly likely resulted in some contact? Yes. Did you do it? No 👍 Were you patient instead? Yes.
  • Did you block a driver when they got a run on you because of a minor mistake on your part? No, you didn't just give up either, but you didn't block and eventually had to back off on a corner due to overlap and corner rights 👍
  • Did you go off track in an attempt to catch up or stay ahead? No. 👍
  • Did you or anyone in front of you weave around trying to avoid draft? No. 👍
  • Did you race hard and enjoy the race? I hope so!
Anyway, I point these out because I've gotten feedback from several drivers across several rooms that there was a lot of minor contact all over the track and particularly in the tricky bit around the first two tunnels. Nobody classified it as "dirty driving" and thus none of the incidents were official reported, but the OLR and this series will hold you to a higher standard. That standard is to avoid contact at all costs and we ask that you indeed report incidents where repeated contact is made by the same driver.

Yes, a minor tap can happen by mistake, but when it happens repeatedly and especially when a driver gains advantage from taps by throwing the other driver off his line or unbalances the car in a tricky section, that's not acceptable. As we start our official races, drivers who fail to avoid contact will be warned and eventually penalized.

Not all of us have the skill of Tidgney, certainly myself included, so we may not all be able to drive quite as close to others at all times without a high risk of contact. If your error rate is higher you are responsible to account for some mistakes on your part. If you find you initiate a few minor taps in a race, back off a little bit and create a bit more gap and don't repeat the mistake over and over. Wait for a straight to make a pass without contact. As you improve and get to know the other drivers you'll be able to race closer and still avoid contact.

Next week at Fuji the car is a step up in power. Speeds are higher, the track is very technical. You won't be able to race quite as close in all sections. But there is a big straight to pass a driver that's slower than you. Show patience and avoid passes in the tricky bits unless they can be made without any contact. As in Tidgney's video above, sometimes that clean pass opportunity just doesn't present itself and you just won't get the position, but you can still have a great race.

All this seems very rigid, but we're all here for clean racing. Our goal is to make the WRS a place where all drivers can race clean and fair and as fast as possible within those constraints. A place where even minor contact is something you'd want to apologize for and not risk repeating rather than something to be proud of because it earned you a position in a race. If you share our goal then welcome and we hope you stay a long time and enjoy yourself. If you don't then you should find another place to race.

:Cheers:

Wow, after reading this I must say that I now feel even more intimidated and nervous about racing with you guys. There is just no way that I can race with the skill of Tidgney, although I do give it my best shot. Sadly, maybe this just isn't for me as I know that, with me being new to actually racing, I will probably cause a great deal of the accidents and just generally be in the way. I completely understand and respect where you are coming from with this, but I just don't think I can live up to those expectations with my limited skill set in regards to racing. I did have fun running with you guys in the practice sessions and such, but I guess I will just stick to the TT's as not to cause any of these unneeded incidences. Good luck to you all. :cheers:

Wow, after reading this I must say that I now feel even more intimidated and nervous about racing with you guys. There is just no way that I can race with the skill of Tidgney, although I do give it my best shot. Sadly, maybe this just isn't for me as I know that, with me being new to actually racing, I will probably cause a great deal of the accidents and just generally be in the way. I completely understand and respect where you are coming from with this, but I just don't think I can live up to those expectations with my limited skill set in regards to racing. I did have fun running with you guys in the practice sessions and such, but I guess I will just stick to the TT's as not to cause any of these unneeded incidences. Good luck to you all. :cheers:

I can understand your apprehension.
However, like me, you are unlikely to be racing with these chaps. They will have qualified faster than us and so will start the race at the front of the grid. We won't catch them up :lol:.
You will be starting the race somewhere near the likes of me, and we will have fun fighting for something like 8th place.
We'll probably have a few bumps and scrapes, but it won't matter because we'll all get better. I'm now the wrong side of 60 and still enjoying my racing. If drivers of our standard all give up, there will only ever be four drivers starting the races.
Don't give up!

No need to feel intimidated, nervous yes as that what gets the adreniline running :), but the more you run with other people the nerves will go down.
Not many people can race with the pace of the aliens, but I would say 99.9% of people can race clean and respectfull no matter what there skill level, accidents happen from small bumps to hard shunts thats a part of it when people make mistakes, its what you do after that bump or shunt, i.e. brake a bit earlier to avoid the bump or wait for the person to gain there position back on track. Learn from your mistakes.
The main rule is to show respect to other drivers on track, no matter there speed and to try to aviod contact even if that means putting yourself into a wall or off track.

Again the more you run online the more experiance you will gain, if you are worried about racing close to others ask in the lobbys if you can practice running behind someone to get your brake markers, you will often see a few people running close in practices to get an idea of draft and passing spots on tracks.

Also with WRS/3D3 you will always find someone to race with on track no matter what pace you are, as long as you enjoy yourself as be respectfull to others.

Cargo, I wouldn't get nervous about it at all! I like others make mistakes, this one example just showed exemplary driving! While I always aim for this type of drive, it's racing and you never know what can happen! From what I saw of yourself in a few practice races you raced well, so I wouldn't feel apprehensive at all! Think of it as another aspect to the WRS and something for everyone to enjoy :)! Don't feel nervous, you put alot of effort in, if you slightly tapped someone likewise if I tapped someone or anyone else who generally races these races, we know it's not malicious, and we'd hold back give up any 'advantage' gained if any and continue to have a quality battle :)!

I do hope you continue to race, your an excellent asset to both the Time trial and the racing side of the series!

Cargo, I wouldn't get nervous about it at all! I like others make mistakes, this one example just showed exemplary driving! While I always aim for this type of drive, it's racing and you never know what can happen! From what I saw of yourself in a few practice races you raced well, so I wouldn't feel apprehensive at all! Think of it as another aspect to the WRS and something for everyone to enjoy :)! Don't feel nervous, you put alot of effort in, if you slightly tapped someone likewise if I tapped someone or anyone else who generally races these races, we know it's not malicious, and we'd hold back give up any 'advantage' gained if any and continue to have a quality battle :)!

I do hope you continue to race, your an excellent asset to both the Time trial and the racing side of the series!

Thanks for the kind words Tidgney, I really appreciate it. I understand what you say here, but I just think this is just too elite for someone of my poor skillset, and I don't mean that in a smartass way. You guys that run these races are in a league of your own, and its no place for a rookie like me. With no hard feelings at all, I think I'll just stick to running the TT's, where there is no one else on the track for me to interfere with. Although lonely at times, at least this way I won't go making enemies because of my inabilities. I'll watch from the sidelines and enjoy the talent that makes the WRS the best racing community there is. Stay fast my friend, I enjoy watching your talents. :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words Tidgney, I really appreciate it. I understand what you say here, but I just think this is just too elite for someone of my poor skillset, and I don't mean that in a smartass way. You guys that run these races are in a league of your own, and its no place for a rookie like me. With no hard feelings at all, I think I'll just stick to running the TT's, where there is no one else on the track for me to interfere with. Although lonely at times, at least this way I won't go making enemies because of my inabilities. I'll watch from the sidelines and enjoy the talent that makes the WRS the best racing community there is. Stay fast my friend, I enjoy watching your talents. :cheers:
I think you are faster than me and I do want to get, and plan on getting, as much WRS as possible. The divisions seem to keep skill sets where they need to be to help my slow butt learn and improve.

When I started racing with 3D3/WRS my skill set was far worse than yours is now. I had a chance to race with you only for a couple of laps and I enjoyed it! I hope you will reconsider because racers with your skill set are needed. I usually am no where near the front and it gets lonely back there. I hope that more will join to keep things interesting back there. I have appreciated your never give up attitude during the TT's and hope to race wheel to wheel with you again.

There are plans to get the WRS academy going again and us slower guys found it very helpful. One on one instruction. Short races which we run together, if someone wipes out, we wait for them and go again! The goal was to run together, feel the slipstream and how it affects the cars handling and braking capabilities. Some of us even do this during weekly practice sessions.

I don't want to beg but if that would work then so be it! Please, please!

Al

When I started racing with 3D3/WRS my skill set was far worse than yours is now. I had a chance to race with you only for a couple of laps and I enjoyed it! I hope you will reconsider because racers with your skill set are needed. I usually am no where near the front and it gets lonely back there. I hope that more will join to keep things interesting back there. I have appreciated your never give up attitude during the TT's and hope to race wheel to wheel with you again.

There are plans to get the WRS academy going again and us slower guys found it very helpful. One on one instruction. Short races which we run together, if someone wipes out, we wait for them and go again! The goal was to run together, feel the slipstream and how it affects the cars handling and braking capabilities. Some of us even do this during weekly practice sessions.

I don't want to beg but if that would work then so be it! Please, please!

Al

Thanks Al for your kind words as well. The Academy would be something I would be interested in. I would feel a tad more comfortable there knowing that we are all there for one reason...learning, and not just to win a race. Please keep me informed on any developments with this Academy you speak of as I would be happy to join. That way I could go through the learning process without the worry of accidentally ruining someone's official race. Thanks Al, and please keep me informed. :cheers:

Back