GTP WRS-Online : Special Event I - GTP_WRS vs ORCA - Jan 28

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 189 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE 1: Team WRS has a new confirmed driver GTP_Sphinx will take the spot vacated by gooners. Back to full again. Registration page should update shortly.

UPDATE 2: We are going with the original rule. Three bottom drivers per team drop down from A to B and top 3 move up from B to A. Details post has been fixed.

Last edited:
Note: After discussions with Brandon and given the recent issues with qualification not being accurate we are going to change up the procedure slightly. This quali method doesn't require an observer, but a non driver observer/admin will certainly still help. The other thing this change helps is traffic since it enables us to do group qualifying and thus only 6 drivers on track at a time. That means however to get this done in 15 minutes we will limit everyone to 2 hot laps only.

Qualification Procedures

• Type: Live Pre-Race 2-Hot Lap Single Stint Group Qualifying
  • Timing: Begins at event start time after track reset and just before the race
  • Duration: 15 minutes (each group has about 7-8 minutes for one out lap + 2 hot laps)
  • Groups: Group by Team: Lounge A => Team Orca First | Lounge B => Team WRS First (both rounds)

After room reset all drivers from first team enter the track, space out during out lap and complete only 2 hot laps. After your 2nd hot lap slow down, but keep going and do not complete another lap. The other team (and observer) watch from lobby and will note fastest lap time for each driver. When final driver from first team finishes their 2nd hot lap someone from the other team will verify all times are recorded via text chat and clear the drivers to exit the track to the lobby. Then the teams will swap positions and follow the same procedure. When the 2nd team is finished their two hot laps we will again reset the track to clear times. Everyone will enter the pits again and we will stage entry onto track in order based on times from qualifying with fastest first. Park in order at the end of the front straight. When all drivers are parked in line in proper order we will start the race timer and have a normal standing grid start. Stay parked during the countdown.

We are doing this somewhat convoluted procedure because qualification times have been messed up quite often lately and we want to avoid having to abort the race due to an improper grid. This method we know works and doesn't depend on an observer which we are lacking for Lounge B.

Note: Speedy will be admin for Lounge A and Brandon for Lounge B (at least in Round 1) and they will coordinate the operation for qualifying. For Round 2 if Brandon advances to Lobby A we'll assign someone else the admin role for B (WRP001, Hydro, EDK, Gravitron are all qualified hosts and one of us will take over assuming one of us is in B for round 2). Hopefully we get a 2nd observer/admin so all drivers can just concentrate on their laps/race.

So on the out in-lap (after 2 hot laps) is it important to remain on the track (vs hitting start and going directly back to pits)? Does remaining out there allow the observer to more accurately see the quali times? IOW, if someone goes back to pits quickly, does their lap info go away, in the observer's live timing window?

Last edited:
So on the out lap (after 2 hot laps) is it important to remain on the track (vs hitting start and going directly back to pits)? Does remaining out there allow the observer to more accurately see the quali times? IOW, if someone goes back to pits quickly, does their lap info go away, in the observer's live timing window?

Safer just to wait for that very reason. The system is quirky and sometimes the times stay but the drivers name disappears when you leave the track. Just reduce speed and continue your lap. With 6 drivers per group everyone will be on the same lap (I hope) so you should be clear on your in-lap.

That being said once the observers give you the signal your fast lap is recorded quickly exit to pits and lobby to save time. Don't bother to drive around and manually drive into the pits.

We'll try to be as time efficient as possible to stay as close to 15 minutes as we can, but I suspect we'll run over time a bit with this required workaround... but it's better than having to abort a race and do all this anyway.

NOTE: We are not doing a formation lap Saturday... we will stage the order and park and then start the timer and do a regular grid start. Don't want any confusion since we are doing a formation lap in the WRS races today. When we finally do get to a grid Saturday and the race starts... GO! "Race on" as Chuk would say.

Think we need another WRS driver as CSL is double booked Saturday. This car/track is so fun I would imagine one of the Wednesday racers may want to step up???

Also we are going to remove the required pit stop in the races on Saturday. Based on the 35 lap WRS races on Wednesday they are not really going to add value in a 20 lap race. In fact by removing pits it actually will pay to manage tires (although just a little). We won't close pit road officially in case someone does spin and absolutely demolish their tires, but I can't imagine anyone will voluntarily pit in a 20 lap race.

Last edited:
Looks like Tuesdaymops signed up as a reserve, sometime between 12hrs ago and now, so 👍, cool, that might cover our CSL loss.

ORCA guys were talking bump-draft team strategy over in their thread, yesterday. :mischievous: In the EU race, I learned it's a little easier said than done. I tried with Marc for about 4 laps in the EU race, to bump him faster on the straight, so we could catch up to Gooners. But my slightly slower exit from the final turn kept resulting in me only getting one good bump on him, for the full straight. Gooners was fast enough to stay out of reach.

Short story: Bump drafting needs practice. Any other strategies we can (openly) discuss here? :sly:

Looks like Tuesdaymops signed up as a reserve, sometime between 12hrs ago and now, so 👍, cool, that might cover our CSL loss.

I still haven't heard officially from CSL what he's doing and he didn't use the form to cancel. The registration is full until he cancels so Tuesdaymops didn't even have the option to confirm. I'll contact him and see if he is 100% assuming CSL can't make it, but hopefully CSL will let me know soon what his decision is. Mops gets first dibs if CSL is out. Haven't heard anything from Demes so not sure what his status is so I'll leave him as reserve.

The key to effective bump drafting is for the guy behind to ease onto the lead cars bumper, not smash into it. If you can stay in contact for 1-2 full seconds, you will gain significant speed. If you just "bump" the car in front, then neither will gain an effective advantage.

That's what I was going for, it was just taking me way too long to catch up to him, so by the time I was ready to lightly bump him, it was almost time for brakes! :lol:

I "bumped" Speedy once on the straight. I was slow off the final corner, and by the time I caught him, it was too late to pass.
So I "bumped" into him, more to let him know that I wasn't going to try and pass.
It takes practice to be right behind someone and push them down the straight. I've been trying it with Jake, Kenny, and Jimmy for over five years. We still only get it perfect once in three tries, if then! :dopey:

Of course, the main reason is that we are almost always trying to pass each other! :sly:

OK, I got 100% confirmation from CSL that he is IN the race. 👍

So we are at capacity. Marcus Garvey is also going to be an alternate for team Orca. He's still not 100% sure about his work schedule at this point. It's great to have alternates from both teams in case something unforeseen comes up. 👍

All the alternates are welcome to join the lounge on race day and even do free run practice with us before the event. However, we will only allow 12 drivers in the actual race and qualifying. But in case someone doesn't show up you might want to be warmed up and ready. If we do have a full grid you are welcome to stay in the lounge as an observer.

Alternates should report to lounge B for pre-race practice or observing the race and we'll send a message if you are needed in Lounge A.

Note: If you are going to join the lounge to observe you should do so no later than 19:05 GMT. We would like to avoid "xxx entered the room" messages distracting drivers once the race has started.

Not scheduled, but feel free to post here that you're heading to the lounge. I *might* have time later, but not yet sure. I also heard from Tim that he got an early flight home, avoiding an incoming snow storm, and he thought he might also want to get some practice in tonight. I know ORCA is practicing during their normal Fri night timeslot. :mischievous:

I was going to practice with ORCA tonight at 9:00 p.m. E.S.T.. Let me know what you guys are doing. I'll check back in at around 8:30, but for now I'm busy chasing Lucas at night!! :sly:

I'm assuming by the previous races this will be live streamed again?

I believe Speedy will be streaming one of the lounges, just not sure which one.

I'll probably jump on for some practice in a little while too. 👍

I'm assuming by the previous races this will be live streamed again?

You bet! Assuming Speedy doesn't run into any unforeseen issues he'll be streaming lounge A live here:

http://www.twitch.tv/speedy6543/

Note also that Speedy isn't driving so he will be feeding video from the "watch race" mode and he'll be able to switch between drivers and also stream the live timing monitor at times in the race. The live timing monitor will be interesting to watch during quali.

Note that twitch also has a chat function so people watching the feed can have their own discussions. I think you need to sign up for an account at twitch.tv to chat, but that's no big deal. When I miss a WRS race I usually watch the feed and chat with whoever else is watching.

Good luck everyone! Only 13 hours away now... Can't wait.

A couple last minute notes...

At this point the Google form is no longer accepting responses. If you have a last minute emergency/cancel please post to this thread. There is a reserve for team WRS that will be driving in pre-race, but as far as I know no reserves are available for Orca. If one reserve does materialize they are welcome to join lounge B for pre-race practice just in case.

If one team starts the event down a single driver the other team will only score points from their top 5 of 6 drivers and we'll shuffle if necessary to make sure Lounge A is full (move up a driver, etc). The team with a full house will effectively get a mulligan and their lowest scoring driver won't count. If a team is missing two drivers than they just forfeit the points. A DC after the race start does not count as a missing driver.

If anyone DC's during the race that driver will get points for last place. If more than one person DC then the one that completes more laps will get the extra position/points. If you DC during quali before your first hot lap you can return to the lounge once and try again. If you DC after your first hot lap is complete you can use that lap time and will not get another chance to qualify. After the 2nd DC we'll have to give up and give your spot to a reserve or just go a driver short. We are on a tight schedule and we aren't going to delay the start very long. Again, show up early and work out any network issues pre-race. It's your risk if you show up last minute.

If you do DC during Race 1 you are welcome to rejoin for Round 2 and try again of course (in lobby B). I would suggest you just wait outside the lounge and watch the thread for updates. We'll post a message when round 1 is complete and you can join at that point. It's better not to join the lounge in the middle of the race and distract the drivers. You can also watch the feed above if you want to know what's going on.

Enjoy yourselves, drive clean and represent your series well tomorrow. 👍

Also, please reread the details post above one time before the race... you'll know the rules and procedures and this will make things easier on all of us.

Phew, I thought I rigidity improvement attached, thankfully I hadn't and I will be able to race :)

By the way, my color is Formula Chameleon Green :)

Edit: Sorry Chuk, I've to squeze some lemons for my mother. I'll be there in 10 :)
Edit2: I just finished. Man this was painful, my arm doesn't receives such a pain after 2 hours holding the controller.

Last edited:
Question for Tim: Where should we go practice until the lounge opens?
Use 3D3racing?

Yes. Voice chat is enabled in the main 3D3Racing lounge so WRS drivers can go there for now and ORCA drivers can go to their ORCA_Champ lounge. The two racing lounges (with voice disabled) will open in about 40 minutes.

CSL & OwensRacing: You guys are on the bubble between A and B. If a driver from the A lounge doesn't show or cancels you will be moving up to A. Please report to B as normal for pre-race practice/quali/etc and if a reserve is needed for your team the reserve will take a spot in B and you will be moved to the A lounge.

Brandon and I will be in communication using text chat during the event so we can pass messages between lounges.

Both lounges are open for pre-race practice.

Note: Voice chat is disabled for this event.

I didn't have GTP_3D3_A on my list so just sent a friend request to that ID... I assumed we'd be using the regular 3D3 lounge :dunce:

I'll log out and log in as A and check it out. You'll be set shortly.

OK Chris you are good. See you in the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back