GTP WRS-Online : Special VI - Motegi Mixed Class Enduro - Aug 5

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 376 comments
EDK
With 15 to go, the dog decided it would be a good idea to walk past the console and over to my left side, and I was quite concerned about a cable getting pulled out, so I took a moment to tell her to get away. I was on the straight leading up to the second turn complex, and somehow got the car off of a straight line track while dealing with that, kicked onto the right hand rumble under braking, and sailed deep into the sand pit of death.

Happens to Fernando Alonso all the time, I'm sure. :lol:

Here are a few captured moments of this great event!

Al

Mr. Allibubba! I'll never regret offering you the job as official 3D3 photographer. ๐Ÿ‘

Your pics have taken their rightful place in the OP posts to be immortalized forever. :lol:

PS> Now we just have to get you to embed the 3D3 watermark on them. :sly:

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_37_edited-1.jpg

Nice pics.๐Ÿ‘
Is this one a pic of my car or does the cool filter make your car look blue? It's a very cool shot.

Replay checks are complete:

Twissy ๐Ÿ‘
Pasm ๐Ÿ‘
Hydro ๐Ÿ‘
Wge ๐Ÿ‘
Gooners ๐Ÿ‘
WRP ๐Ÿ‘

---------------
McFizzle ๐Ÿ‘
Speedy ๐Ÿ‘
EDK ๐Ÿ‘
Noize ๐Ÿ‘
Allibubba ๐Ÿ‘
Racingworld ๐Ÿ‘
Mamba ๐Ÿ‘
Hasslemoff - left 10 seconds early - 20 second penalty will be applied to finish time.
JTV ๐Ÿ‘

For Hasslemoff's driver change the lolipop was raised at 2:13 of his lap, but he exited the pit stall at 7:03.
The 10 seconds is doubled for the penalty and as a result of the time adjusment for the penalty Hasslemoff is moved to second place and EDK is the winner of the LMS class.

The LMP results are being adjusted as well.
When Twissy crossed the line Pasm and Hydro were the only other LMP cars on the lead lap. PASM (2nd) was in turn 5 and Hydro (3rd) in turn 1.
Wes crossed the line immediately after Twissy placing him in 4th - the first of the lapped cars to finish.
WRP001 crossed immediately after that but was the last place LMP car and remained unchanged.
Gooners was driving up the final straight and crossed the finish line in 5th, and then passed Wge who had stopped after the finish line after the race had ended.

The Results table is being updated to reflect these changes.

For Hasslemoff's driver change the lolipop was raised at 2:13 of his lap, but he exited the pit stall at 7:03.
The 10 seconds is doubled for the penalty and as a result of the time adjusment for the penalty Hasslemoff is moved to second place and EDK is the winner of the LMS class.

The LMP results are being adjusted as well.
When Twissy crossed the line Pasm and Hydro were the only other LMP cars on the lead lap. PASM (2nd) was in turn 5 and Hydro (3rd) in turn 1.
Wes crossed the line immediately after Twissy placing him in 4th - the first of the lapped cars to finish.
WRP001 crossed immediately after that but was the last place LMP car and remained unchanged.
Gooners was driving up the final straight and crossed the finish line in 5th, and then passed Wge who had stopped after the finish line after the race had ended.

The Results table is being updated to reflect these changes.

Thanks Marc. The moments just before and after Twissy crossed the finish line were about as chaotic as could be imagined after a 2.4 hour race.

One clarification (for the drivers) that doesn't change the result as you listed them... The fact that PASM was on turn 5 and you were on turn 1 only means you both were allowed to complete that final lap whereas Wes gooners and I were behind Twissy and thus our race was done. PASM completed that lap ahead of you thus finished in 2nd. Had PASM crashed or you passed him for any other reason, you would have come out ahead. Just making it clear that the field doesn't "freeze" when the leader passes the line. Everyone ahead of the leader when the checkered waives must race to the finish line one last time. ๐Ÿ‘

Speaking of start/finish lines. My completely messed up driver change results in one good thing, this pretty amusing FF video of the start/finish straight:

Updated results:
All LMS drivers had 4 seconds removed from their overall times to reflect the approximate difference between Kevin and Hasslemoff's changed positions (3.520).

Adjustedresults.png

Congrats to James for the LMP and overall win and to Kevin for the LMS win :cheers:

Mr. Allibubba! I'll never regret offering you the job as official 3D3 photographer. ๐Ÿ‘

Your pics have taken their rightful place in the OP posts to be immortalized forever. :lol:

PS> Now we just have to get you to embed the 3D3 watermark on them. :sly:

Thank you, just have to send the watermark to me and I will embed it!

Nice pics.๐Ÿ‘
Is this one a pic of my car or does the cool filter make your car look blue? It's a very cool shot.

Yes Scott that is your R8!

Al

You shouldn't have waited Tim as I didn't gain anything by it and it was my fault.

Wes, I do believe it was my fault. I was recovering from an off track incident and I pulled onto the track so it was on me to make sure no incident resulted from that.

I thought for sure I had plenty of room and I planned to scoot over to the right side of the track which would take me off the racing line. Two things happened at this point. One the dirty tires just kept slipping, keeping me from accelerating as fast as I thought. Second the GT car you were engaging in a pass took to the right side so I couldn't go over there. I tried to avoid any contact with the GT car while allowing you enough room on the left, but you caught the grass as you were trying to get by. I was a slow moving sandwich. It certainly wasn't intentional, but I still think it was my fault and I apologize for that.

I did wait for you and even if there was any doubt of fault, I would always wait in that situation. 100%. And when you went long on the next corner I considered it an extension of the incident and thus it was my obligation to wait again.

Here's a video of the whole thing:

The admins make mistakes just like anyone else (yes, we're human :sly:) and it's very important that when we do, we follow the OLR and make sure to serve our time in the penalty box.

PS> I would say watching that video when you were nose against the wall, it would be nice if the drivers passing the incident would allow a few "inches" for a driver to return to track. If any of the drivers see someone trying to recover it would be wise for yourself, not to mention courteous, not to use every inch of track at that location when it's not necessary.

Congrats to Kevin for the win. It's unfortunate Paul, you ran a great race but sure do know how to make things interesting in the pits. I'm glad I didn't pass you because of it, because I certainly had nothing for you.

My race was rather uneventful. I didn't have the speed to keep up with Paul and Kevin and didn't really have pressure from behind either. At one point Mamba passed me as I exited the pits and the next 2 laps were a lot of fun as he passed me, I passed him, and then he got me right back before the next corner. With about 5 to go I came out of the pits behind Jon and in 4th place. I thought for sure I had lost 3rd due to pit strategy, I had a quarter of tank of fuel remaining at the end, but he had to make one more stop for fuel. Judging by Saturdays performance he would've made the tires last. I didn't have much for speed or consistency. It seemed like by the third stop I was just cruising around turning 51's. I can't explain it but I seem to be faster in the support races than I am on Sundays. It was a great race run by everyone. I think I experienced contact twice, once not my fault and the other incidental. Gooners got a couple tires in the grass under braking at V corner and lost it and slid into me. It certainly surprised me a bit but didn't hurt me all that much and probably saved him from a worse off than it turned out to be. Later I gave Mamba a slight quarter panel nudge exiting turn 3 but it didn't affect either of our lines.

Some pics:

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_12.jpg

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_11.jpg

Turn 3 after start
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_10.jpg

S Curves
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_9.jpg

S Curves
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_8.jpg

Downhill Straight
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_7.jpg

Kevin making the pass for second.
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_6-1.jpg

Mamba et al.
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_5-1.jpg

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_3-1.jpg

Pass
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_2-1.jpg

Pass back
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_1-1.jpg

Pass back back
RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi-1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to Kevin for the win. It's unfortunate Paul, you ran a great race but sure do know how to make things interesting in the pits. I'm glad I didn't pass you because of it, because I certainly had nothing for you.

Thanks, and I agree. Not the way I'd like to win, but great race by both of you, we were defintely tight all race long.

And nice pics, thanks for this one. ๐Ÿ‘

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_7.jpg

Kevin making the pass for second.

Well done Kevin for the LMS win and James for the LMP win.

Thanks to the admin for setting up another great Enduro ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.

A big sorry to Kevin and Scott for making the mistake as it would of been a different second half to the race.

I was going to send Kevins dog a nice bone for helping me to the win but i'll spend the money on some lessons on telling the time for me instead.

I like to make things interesting :crazy:. Keeps the lads on there toe's :scared:

EDK
Hasslemoff took his final pit after mine, so had fresher tires and was able to maintain the gap, particularly since I had to deal with the LMP leaders coming through during the second half of the last lap.

You and I seem to have the most epic battles in these enduros, seeing how close we were at Spa and then the same again here. :)

I really enjoyed the battle at Spa and this one with you and Scott, I am gutted I made the mistake in this race as it changed the second half of the race completely.

I did question myself when I came out of the pits not far behind you I thought you had put more fuel in and went over your 5min by a couple of seconds but as it turns out it was me:yuck:.

OK, I posted the bad (driver change blunder) and ugly (incident with Wes), so now it's time for some good.

Here is a video called "Passing Time @ Motegi". It highlights *all* the passes I was involved in during the enduro, every last one. No contact with GT cars ever. It takes two to tango and all the GT drivers were very predictable, stuck to the line (or made obvious moves well ahead of time) and drove great. In turn, I tried to avoid taking any risks that would endanger them during my passes. I did take a few risks to myself (outside passes), but not too often.

[pat_on_back]The video could be a clinic on multi class etiquette from both sides of the coin. ๐Ÿ‘[/pat_on_back]

Update. Here is another highlights video with several views of the first lap for both classes:

Last edited:
Very nice videos, Tim ๐Ÿ‘
I agree with you on giving recovering cars a bit space is a good thing. The least you can do is slow down a bit and be cautious. I was the first one to arrive at the scene and you can see that I reacted poorly, because I was staring at the next corner, not seeing Wes' car until only a moment before I reach the site...

Gooners got a couple tires in the grass under braking at V corner and lost it and slid into me. It certainly surprised me a bit but didn't hurt me all that much and probably saved him from a worse off than it turned out to be.

Sorry :guilty:.
Didn't realize I was on the grass till I hit the brakes, by which time I was just a passenger. Luckily things turned out OK and I didn't push you off track.

Other than that I pretty much drove an amazing race. Was approx 10 seconds behind Bart with a massive tire/pit strategy advantage, till I ran out of fuel. Lost around 50s - 1 minute there. Should've pitted instead of trying to eek it out for one more lap :(.

EDIT: Congratulations to James, Bart, and Marc for the LMP top spots; and to Kevin, Paul, and Scott for the GT honours.

Thanks to the admins for putting this all together :). These enduros are the ultimate experience I've had in GT5, period. Consider me signed up for the next one, and the one after, and the one after :sly:.

Also thanks to everyone else for coming out for this event :).

Last edited:
Great job, everyone! :cheers: So glad to see the event lived up to the past enduros, and maybe even exceeded it. ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks Scott and Al for the pics, and Tim for the quick videos, they're helping me indulge. :dunce:

Great job Admins, 'specially Tim, Marc, and Kevin, who led this massive brainchild. :cheers:

Very cool videos Tim.๐Ÿ‘ Just earlier today I thought how cool it would be to make a highlights video and then bam, you do it.

Back