GTP WTAC Week 18: Trilateral Week

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 64 comments
GTP WTAC Week 18 : Trilateral Week

*** In an attempt to keep things a bit interesting, I have decided to throw a curveball: this week's event with be a 'combined times' challenge, but using only one car - the infamous Audi Quattro. Originally release in Europe at the tail-end of 1980, it was the first mass produced car with 4WD. Revolutionary for it's time, this beast could be taken off-road and then back on any tarmac and still be able dominate. Four-wheel drive isn't such a big deal now, but at that time, it was shock wave throughout the automotive industry. For this challenge, we'll use the 1982 model and do so on three separate tracks. It should be interesting! ***

1. Tracks :
  • Twin Ring Motegi West Short Course
  • Beginner Course (forward)
  • Cathedral Rocks Trail III (reverse)

picture.php

picture.php

gttrack.png

*A big 'THANK YOU' goes out to Sylar for creating the Cathedral Rocks Trail III map!

2. Car : Audi Quattro '82

img0001j.jpg
l
img0000o.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run all tracks; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Sept. 13th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Sept. 20th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Sept. 20th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###.l44
2nd #-l Sylar ######l40
3rd #l- lFuchur #####32
4th #l- lDetroitbb ###l24
5th #l-l easyasashii ##21
6th #l-l rpr101#####.l13 l
small_up_arrow.gif
l(tied for 6th)
6th #l- lred ice #####13##.l(tied for 6th)
8th #l-l Dan360 ####lll6 lll
small_up_arrow.gif
l(tied for 8th)
8th #l- lsausages###llll6 ll##l(tied for 8th)
10th .-l Peter ######l4 .lll
small_down_arrow.gif

11th .-l Awaren ###lll#1 ###(tied)
11th .-l RJS ######lllll1 ###(tied)

Last edited:
This sounds good! My first guess at one track is either Tahiti Maze, or Cathedral rocks 1, for the reference of 'off road and then back to any tarmac'. Am I right? Chamonix also has tarmac.

Tracks added!

I chose short ones so this challenge wouldn't be too overwhelming.

I just added a crappy, handmade track map for Cathedral Rocks Trail III - If anyone wants to do a better one, be my guest! I have no attachment to my quickly drawn version.

:)

Last edited:
Sounds good! Since they are all small tracks, it will be VERY close! I will test the car and the tracks today, and I should get rough times.

Wow, I never saw that! Looks like a 'copy and paste' gone wrong. By the way, this week introduces the 'no sparks' rule.

Whew I thought Week 18 was running same time as Week 17. Considering these are short courses. I panicked and ran each track just to beat the deadline tomorrow.
Nice Info Detroitbb! Never Thought Audi was the 1st one to produce 4wd cars.
:)

Wow, I never saw that! Looks like a 'copy and paste' gone wrong.

It sure was!

By the way, this week introduces the 'no sparks' rule.

It's pretty much always been in effect, but I had just added that as a reminder.

I should also note that 'no sparks' doesn't apply to your car bottoming out - only to scraping things (walls/barriers/etc.) alongside the track.

Nice photos! I love the airbourne Quattro! I had a chance to run the car on Beginner course, and 20 laps gave me a 27'5XX. This car is a 4WD, so it will accelerate out or corners quickly. I recommened that you find the earliest apex out of the corner.

i just purchased the car today and took it out on cathedral rocks trial III and was able to achieve a 0'30.909 i wonder if thats going to be a good time??

red ice looks like we are tied again. cant wait to see the results of this week im sure its going to be a close one like always.

good luck everyone!

i just purchased the car today and took it out on cathedral rocks trial III and was able to achieve a 0'30.909 i wonder if thats going to be a good time??

red ice looks like we are tied again. cant wait to see the results of this week im sure its going to be a close one like always.

good luck everyone!

as detroitbb said.This is week will decide who's gonna win the rpr101 vs red ice duel. I've got to devote extra play time for this week. Feels like the SEOUL duel again. its back to a TIE! and detroitbb gave us a climactic week!... 3 TRACKS!! :) how intense can we finish this!! hahah!
I got a 0'30.930 in cathedral rocks reverse.

Last edited:
Did about 15 laps on each course last night and best times were

Twin Ring Motegi West Short Course - 45.791
Beginner Course (forward) - 27.473
Cathedral Rocks Trail III (reverse) - 30.774

Looks like everyones times will be really close this week.

As with Sylar, I also ran roughly 15 laps at each track:

Cathedral Rocks Trail III (reverse) - 30.6xx
Beginner Course (forward) - 27.5xx
Twin Ring Motegi West Short Course - 45.7xx

I have spent roughly 100 laps on beginner course, trying to master the 'kink', which gave me a 27.4XX. I broke into the 29 second barrier at Cathedral rocks and managed 45.4XX at Motegi. By the way, the fastest safe speed i've gone on the jump at Cathedral rocks was 75mph.

New times from me

Twin Ring Motegi West Short Course - 45.447
Beginner Course (forward) - 27.222
Cathedral Rocks Trail III (reverse) - 29.913

I think that I could improve 2 tenths from Beginner Course, half a second from Cathedral rocks (from the big hairpin) and 2 hundreths from Motegi. I definetly need practice on Cathedral rocks.

Man... you guys are pulling away from me!

I got my Cathedral Rocks Trail III time down to 30.5xx, my Twin Ring Motegi time down to 45.6xx, and my Beginner Course time reduced by two-hundredths of a second (still in the 27.5xx range).

I did have a 29.9xx on the rally course, but while watching the replay with the chase cam - I saw the dreaded 'sparks' right after the jump.

I should mention that we have to be careful when going from the Cathedral Rocks Trail III to one of the paved courses. The game will automatically switch to the default S3 tires... but we're using S2's for this challenge. Be careful not to run on the S3's and disqualify a fast lap!

Do you think this is clean? 1 wheel on tarmac, 1 wheel on the kerb and two wheels on the grass. I achieved a 27.0XX on Beginner course! I mastered the 'kink', and shaved 4 tenths!

Back