GTP WTAC Week 54 : Birth Of A Champion

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 46 comments
GTP WTAC Week 54 : Birth Of A Champion

*** This is the first generation Mitsubishi Lancer, also known by it's internal company code, the A70. The 1600 GSR was the top-the-line model offered from Mitsubishi and it also served as the base for the Lancer rally car. This car was specifically designed to win the famous Safari Rally in Kenya and, in it's first time (1974) running the grueling rally event through eastern Africa, the 1600 GSR took first place. Mitsubishi would add another win at Safari Rally in 1976 before retiring the A70 in favor of a 2nd generation model (which came about in 1977). Most of us are well aware of the Lancer's place in modern rally racing, but now we know how the legend came to be... ***

1. Track : Cathedral Rocks Trail II (forward) & Ice Arena (forward)

picture.php

picture.php

* You can chose which car runs at which track - just make sure that each car and track is used. For example: if you use the stock Lancer at Cathedral Rocks Trail II, then you'd have to used the rally-modified Lancer at Ice Arena (or vice-versa).

2. Cars : Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR '74 & Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car '74

stockug.jpg
l
rallyv.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: DRT / SNW
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday May 30th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday June 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday June 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

----------------------

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l pvr77########35
2nd #-l Dan360######.l33
3rd #l-l MVR08#######l31
4th #l-l Detroitbb#####ll25
5th #l-l easyasashii###&l22
6th #l-l vaughan#####$l14
7th #l-l red ice########6

----------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I remember a problem last time we ran at Ice Arena. If you hit the wall at any track, sparks will appear. In Ice Arena if you hit a wall no sparks will appear. Here's what Dertoitbb decided to do when we had the problem (30 weeks ago).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4074582#post4074582

So, is it OK to hit the walls or not???

I'm going to treat it like last time: common-sense driving applies. Here's what I wrote last time about this very subject,

"To try and clarify... if you don't slow down and brake to take a turn normally and just go to the outside edge - at full speed - and ride the outside bank/wall all the way around, then that would be grounds for disqualification. If we accidentally cut an inside turn a bit too tight and the front end of the car rides up a bit on the bank - or if you're sliding too far to the outside edge after a turn and the rear/side of your car slides up the embankment - then both those instances would be OK. We all pretty much know what isn't in the honest spirit of racing (such as riding a wall all the way around so you don't have to slow down). Common sense driving applies."

Any questions?

:)

I decided to use the stock Lancer 1600 GSR at Ice Arena and got this time last night: 1'03.320

That means that I'm using the Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car at Cathedral Rocks Trail II. With that car/track combo, I got a 1'20.902.

^ I'll run both cars at each track then do the maths to know which one I'll post for the Rally and which one I'll post for the stock !

@ Cathedral II, I was stuck with clean laps : 1'21.283 with the stock -1'20.898 unclean- and a 1'21.371 with the rally version... So I decided to run more with the Rally version, got a clean 1'20.742 - and an unclean 1'20.563-.

@ Ice Arena, 1'03.301 with the stock, 1'04.895 with the rally ;)

Good luck to everyone !

:cheers:

Ice Arena ! I know one of us who should be really happy about that ! Right red ice ? ;)

:gtpflag:

LOL!! This Lancer was my parents' first car back in '77. It is colored Green. I wish I had with me our photo album showing me and my father next to the car. I really like to post it here.

Always happy here racing "against" and "with" you guys...and Off-road has been much fun since joining WTAC. Btw, here's my crappy lap in WTAC's 1st Year Anniv. disguised as my way of saying thanks to you guys.

Why? Did he crash a lot? I always...or drive like a tortoise. Both made me mad.
I don't remember if he crashed when we last did Ice Arena (red ice is usually our fastest rally racers)... but maybe it has something to do with the rear-wheel drive vintage rally cars?

I crash more in Tarmacs. FR cars and MR cars off-road makes me mad too and I also drive very slowly on initial runs on rally challenges. The reason being, this is the only way I can test driving lines,braking points,angles. Keeping in mind Takumi's "gutter runs"...GTPSP's rally tracks' "inside corners" aids your braking though being 111% aware of keeping off that invisible boundary that will hit the front end of the car.
In any AWD car, the power to push the car out of a corner is equally distributed to all 4 wheels, in FRs and MRs, you'll need better angle control as you would normally do 'cause you will only rely on the rear wheels' PUSH and the front wheels' PULL in relation to corners.

Actually, that wasn't sarcasm ;) ! red ice is the fastest WTACer on rally track, he has amazing times at Chamonix !!!

:cheers:

:guilty: I did a lot of Colin Mcrae way back and Rally races since GT1... especially Pikes Peak challenges and sir L-F's motivational word of advice back in rpr101's rally challenge:
I'm not big on rallying either, but the concept of going fast is the same as on tarmac.

My general tips are:
You have to brake before the turn, trail off the braking while turning in, give the car a boot of power to swing the back around and control the angle of drift with the accelerator. When you see the exit of the corner, you need to tap the accelerator to regain traction and accelerate forward and out of the corner.

If your still sliding sideways as your exiting the corner, you losing time, you need to be going forward as soon as your past the apex, and the most important corners are the ones that lead onto the long straights.

Its fairly basic stuff, but its often the basics that give you the best speed and times. Tahiti Maze isn't a difficult rally course, plenty of switchbacks but if you can nail one, thats 50% of the track. The difficulty is the length and consistency and keeping off the walls that makes a good lap tricky. Braking too late on tarmac can cost you a tenth or two, braking too late on dirt can put you into the wall.

Brake early, keep tight lines through the switchbacks and don't get too sideways on the fast sections.

So far I'm in the last 1:26's after a handful of laps in the Subaru. I need everyone to be fast this week, if Pitch isn't going to be posting a fast time, I need him down the results sheets as much as possible if I'm going to make it 2 WTAC's in a row :D

:odd: I'm faster with the stock version on each track... You guys :confused:

Probably due to the stock being easier to throttle control around corners as opposed to the rally car's higher (power output) PUSH-PULL factor on a slippery track like Ice Arena. I think one important key here will be to attack the corner on a slightly different angle especially at the first corner. I have Still much to learn as I haven't run the stock yet.

Times: after 10 laps - Default tune
Rally:Ice Arena-- 1'05.xxx
:Rocks-- 1'23.xxx

Last edited:
Having been running with Yellow Bird I feel like I was driving on a gravel-ice version of the Ring so this week's challenges feels like one big rally challenge to me. haha!

^Aw man, I got so obsessed with the ring and the bird that I haven't even put these two cars in my favorites, gonna have to do some serious running tomorrow...

^Me too
Remember the friend that came to visit last sunday? He didn't come with empty hands, He gift me a PS3 with of course a copy of GT5 and He bought me a DFGT wheel too but couldn't pack it because of space sadly. I've been playing this past couple of days I'm level 22 with the Top Gear and the Ring tracks unlocked so my playing time is divided now but I still think I can make it in this challenging week.

^Me too
Remember the friend that came to visit last sunday? He didn't come with empty hands, He gift me a PS3 with of course a copy of GT5 and He bought me a DFGT wheel too

Could you please introduce me to your friend ??? :lol: ! JUst kidding ;) ! But I wish I had a friend who could do that !!! Have fun with GT5 !

Always happy here racing "against" and "with" you guys...and Off-road has been much fun since joining WTAC. Btw, here's my crappy lap in WTAC's 1st Year Anniv. disguised as my way of saying thanks to you guys.

Thanks a lot 👍👍👍

My rally skills are rusty as I haven't been racing in a rally track for ages. With that in mind, my first times are:

Cathedral Rocks:

Stock - 1'21.5xx
Rally - 1'23.5xx

Ice Arena:

Stock - 1'01.9xx
Rally - 1'04.2xx

I think the rally version is faster on the straights, but the car has a lower cornering speed compared to the stock Lancer.

A quick drag test on Test Course tests my theory. Both cars are lined up on the Start/Finish line and then ran 400m and 1000m. Setting are on default, and tires are S3 for the stock and R1 for the rally version. Here are the results:

[Vehicle]
400m time (seconds)
1000m time (seconds)

Stock Lancer

Rally Lancer

So, this concludes my theory. Of course there are different factors that I didn't consider, such as running on tarmac instead of dirt/snow, but results should be similar.

A big improvement on the rally Lancer on dirt, from 1'21.5xx to 1'18.2xx. I've improved my stock time on ice by about 0.8xx seconds. So as with Detriotbb, I will be using the stock Mitsubishi at Ice Arena and the rally version at Cathedral Rocks.

I put a bit more time into the rally Lancer at Cathedral Rocks Trail II and dropped my time down to 1'20.0xx.

No improvement with the stock Lancer @ Ice Arena though.

Did run last night with both cars in both tracks, and funny how the stock car is faster without tunning the suspension of the race car. Softening the suspension of the race car is a must!!

Cathedral Rocks:
Stock: 1'19.4xx
Race: 1'18.6xx

Ice Arena:
Stock: 1'01.2xx
Race: 1'01.4xx

Now 1'26 with rally car on Cathedral Rocks Trail
1'07 with both cars on Ice Arena...

hope this helps improve your times for the Rally Car @ Ice Arena.

I ran 10 laps while on my way home, All braking points are subject to changes as we go along. But basically the concept is there. Just remember to keep the car as straight as possible at all times.

...just 1 week more and I hope to see this car on this console in my own room...

:):):)

Last edited:
No improvements for me.

I had one of those nights where I was frustrated and impatient after only a couple of laps. I recognize when that happens that I'm better off just putting the PSP down and doing something else for the rest of the evening.

I'll be back in the driver's seat tonight!

hope this helps improve your times for the Rally Car @ Ice Arena.

I ran 10 laps while on my way home, All braking points are subject to changes as we go along. But basically the concept is there. Just remember to keep the car as straight as possible at all times.

...just 1 week more and I hope to see this car on this console in my own room...

:):):)

Videos? Haha, thank you red ice! Until now, I'm not aware of braking points:nervous: I just break where I think I'm having too much speed, not used to lessing the throttle gently for a while. And I found keeping straight means with a lower speed and is hard to change directions. What's my mistake?...

Are you about to have GT5 ???

Nice vids by the way 👍 !

No new times for me, spent my time at IKEA then back home doing some do-it-yourself stuff !

Back