GTP_Registry Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 2,665 comments
Not sure of this is the right place to ask.

Is there a thread somewhere which explains how the Division par, gold, silver and bronze lap times are worked out, and from there how 'r' is worked out?

I've tried to look everywhere and so far only found out how the handicaps are calculated in FAQ ((5*current handicap + new handicap)/6)

Not sure of this is the right place to ask.

Is there a thread somewhere which explains how the Division par, gold, silver and bronze lap times are worked out, and from there how 'r' is worked out?

I've tried to look everywhere and so far only found out how the handicaps are calculated in FAQ ((5*current handicap + new handicap)/6)

I can't pretend to understand the whole thing and don't think there has ever been an in depth explanation but standard deviation and distribution models are used. The division splits are a little bit of an educated guess to set the upper and lower boundaries so that we get an appropriate spread of competitors in each division. I make that last bit sound trivial but it's not and getting the splits wrong could mean for example we end up with a high proportion of folks in one division which would not be good for anyone.

If anyone has a better explanation please wade in and shoot me down. I'm better at eating donuts that I am at mathematics :lol:

I've been meaning to ask that question for a while now, I can't resist a tricky math thing to try and understand.
The only thing you've missed in your explanation is that the finagling appears to be done using values for "Weight", "Squeeze" and "Scoot", however WHAT those values are, what they do, how they are achieved and what it all means is totally unknown to me lol. Genuinely interested in the inevitable madness that goes on behind such a 'simple' set of numbers.

I've been meaning to ask that question for a while now, I can't resist a tricky math thing to try and understand.
The only thing you've missed in your explanation is that the finagling appears to be done using values for "Weight", "Squeeze" and "Scoot", however WHAT those values are, what they do, how they are achieved and what it all means is totally unknown to me lol. Genuinely interested in the inevitable madness that goes on behind such a 'simple' set of numbers.

Ummm was this bit confusing?

I'm better at eating donuts that I am at mathematics

:lol::lol:

Hey,

I've been looking to start again for a while now but have changed PSN ID, is there any way I could change my WRS account to that?

I have a quick question regarding week 31 and ERAUfan97. This was his second TT and he is still waiting for a division placement so how can he win the Bronze cup and third position in D2?

I have a quick question regarding week 31 and ERAUfan97. This was his second TT and he is still waiting for a division placement so how can he win the Bronze cup and third position in D2?

Good question for which I have no answer, I'll check with @Vaxen but I suspect it's just an honest mistake

For week31, ERAUFan97 ran his second TT, and so is still a rookie.

Rookies are provisionally assigned to a division based solely on their handicap for that specific race:
13--1'37.879-R-ERAUfan97 r=2.037 (d2/-0.465)

He happened to put forth a handicap in the very low Division 2 range, so this put him in D2 (provisionally); good enough for 3rd place in D2 (1st and 2nd were taken by MrCooper77 and Espial_, non-rookies who put in D1 handicaps).

Note that if there are any DQs this week, this may change the handicap assignment and may affect ERAUFan97's provisionaly division assignment; possibly bumping him to D1 for the race, and moving Bassaddition into 3rd.

I've got a problem on my file where I can't seem to save any replays even though I've got barely anything saved on my account, any ideas?

Hello back everyone!

I've received an nice Christmas present! A PS4 and GT Sport.
I was registered with GT6 so I presume I don't have to do anything extra to participate to the time trials, my PS id and forum name are unchanged. I did a lot of reading on the forums and it seems pretty clear to me except for the online race events (I need to register in another database?)
Quite some things have changed with the new GT Sport platform and some seems better and other less. One thing that bothers me is the ghost, I didn't manage to turn it off :(
I've driven some laps already and I'm getting used to the new controller but it seems to me that the buttons are not pressure sensitive and that makes braking and accelerating more complicated. Later on I will submit my first sector times.

Hello back everyone!

I was registered with GT6 so I presume I don't have to do anything extra to participate to the time trials, my PS id and forum name are unchanged. I did a lot of reading on the forums and it seems pretty clear to me except for the online race events (I need to register in another database?)
Quite some things have changed with the new GT Sport platform and some seems better and other less. One thing that bothers me is the ghost, I didn't manage to turn it off :(
I've driven some laps already and I'm getting used to the new controller but it seems to me that the buttons are not pressure sensitive and that makes braking and accelerating more complicated. Later on I will submit my first sector times.
Welcome back!

The ghost can be turned off in the in race menus. I am not at my console so I don't know exactly where, but in the race options menu that lets you set the driving line, etc, the ghost settings may be adjusted.

With the new clock, I never use the ghost.

Also, you are correct that if your PSN ID and forum name are the same, you can just dive right in.

Hello back everyone!

Ghost can be turned off by pressing the R3 button (right stick) directly during the lap you drive, but it'll show up again each time you start new TT, so better to check the race menu setting to turn it off by default, as @EDK mentioned. Also you can set your throttle and brake to pressure sensitive L2 and R2 buttons, which you will need to get used to, but it does great job with smoothness of the acceleration / deceleration. Probably you can try the motion control instead of steering with left stick (in main menu / setting the controllers). đź‘Ť

Ghost can be turned off by pressing the R3 button (right stick) directly during the lap you drive, but it'll show up again each time you start new TT, so better to check the race menu setting to turn it off by default, as @EDK mentioned. Also you can set your throttle and brake to pressure sensitive L2 and R2 buttons, which you will need to get used to, but it does great job with smoothness of the acceleration / deceleration. Probably you can try the motion control instead of steering with left stick (in main menu / setting the controllers). đź‘Ť

Hello Mires, thank you for the suggestions. I've found out for the ghost when changing the settings on my controller. I've tried the L2 braking and R2 acceleration but it's to hard to coordinate when you need to brake and steering with the same hand. Now I'm tying R2 acceleration and X for braking. For now I need time to adapt to it but on the long run it will be better.

So just to confirm... Once the WRSFetchBot has confirmed my registration, I then have to complete my best lap for the currently running time trial event (in this case the week 60 event) and post my time and recording of my lap before I can be assigned a division and compete in organized WRS races?

"Once your registration has been accepted by the WRSFetchBot, you are welcome to begin competing in our current Time Trial event, found in this forum. Participation in time trial events, as detailed below, will be required for initial division placement.
  • Be sure and post your splits in the race thread, as detailed in the event instructions.
  • When you first begin competing, your assigned division shown in the official registry and on our leaderboard will be "Rookie"."

Back