GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 106 : Fuji (Nissan) GT(-R)

• Thread starter EDK
  • 182 comments
This track is really not good with me - I really dislike it because I don't know how to go fast.

Awful splits - but in the short time I spent this morning - about an hour - the lap that I actually remained on track the whole lap was this one.

EDK
Might be that time was spent on the qualifier, but I would still contend that they likely are spending more time on the TT's than the qualifier.

I'm just personally not a fan of people who set themselves up to win their division out of the gate, I would rather see someone give the qualifier their very best effort.

There are a couple of issues about the qualifier compared to TT's.
1 It's the Ring,you'll love it,or you hate it.Count me in for the second part.I know this track has a great karma to most of the drivers,in my opinion it's just a wide bicycle path.And a bad one...

2 Track knowledge.Some people have to run many laps before knowing the track.I'm one of them,and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

3 Personal circumstances:I made the transition from DS to wheel when GT5 was released.Took me about 1 year to get used to it.Went down from Div2B in the prologue days to Div3G with current qualifier.
Ran the qualifier a couple of weeks ago again out of curiosity,gained seconds over it.

4 You can't use a ghost.I allways use it.It helps me to learn cornering and recognise breaking points.When I ran the qualifier and gained a couple of tenths at the end,I sometimes didn't have a clue on which part I actually found them.(or lost them,in most of the case :))

So for that matter the Div's are just an indication in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents

Edit:splits

Last edited:
Thanks, not sure what is the best option for me.

Still messing up the last two 180° turn hill up.

Being able to change the brake balance for a Arcade car must be a wheel thing I'm guessing?

Being able to change the brake balance for a Arcade car must be a wheel thing I'm guessing?

Not at all. Go into "My Home Settings", then "Hardware". If you are using a DS3, pick "Button Assignments" for controller #1.

You will see you have some buttons that have no functions or a few that have functions that you rarely use (emergengy brake for example).

When select one of these buttons via the drop down box on the right or left, you get choices of functions that you can set for that button. The (RA function) Select -, (RA function) Select +, (RA function) Adjust -, (RA function) Adjust +, and (RA function) Show Menu are the selections you need to assign to buttons that will allow you to adjust the Traction Control (TCS), Torque Split on 4 wheel drive cars (4WDtq), Active Steering Management (ASM), Antilock Brake System (ABS) and the Brake Bias (BRK.F and BRK.R)

Not at all. Go into "My Home Settings", then "Hardware". If you are using a DS3, pick "Button Assignments" for controller #1.
You will see you have some buttons that have no functions or a few that have functions that you rarely use (emergengy brake for example).
When select one of these buttons via the drop down box on the right or left, you get choices of functions that you can set for that button. The (RA function) Select -, (RA function) Select +, (RA function) Adjust -, (RA function) Adjust +, and (RA function) Show Menu are the selections you need to assign to buttons that will allow you to adjust the Traction Control (TCS), Torque Split on 4 wheel drive cars (4WDtq), Active Steering Management (ASM), Antilock Brake System (ABS) and the Brake Bias (BRK.F and BRK.R)

If I remember rightly, I used R3 (pressing/clicking the right stick) to bring up the menu ((RA function) Show Menu) then I had D-pad up and down to navigate through the items ((RA function) Select -, (RA function) Select +) and D-pad left and right to change the values ((RA function) Adjust -, (RA function) Adjust +).
Even with the wheel's built-in buttons, I don't usually change these values as I race...I sort of take a break, fix the values then restart. Of course you can do a quick TC adjustment (like turning it off when you forgot to) but doing the BB is a lot of button work ;)

I agree Sir Clive. That was the nice thing about the DFGT. It had the knob so you could change brake bias on the fly very easily. It's a shame when companies upgrade their products to make them better but end up removing the things that made them great in the first place.

First go at this as I am really tired of Trial Mountain about now.

Using the car just as it comes with the exception of TC set to off.

(Sorry for the double post. Didn't realize this was the thread I had posted the above in.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me as one who probably over qualified. I had just run the 24 hour race at the ring. Within a few days of finishing that I started the qualifier. I spent quite a while, placed in Div. 2 and am now posting times not that competitive in Div. 2. I would like to be competitive within the Division, but I like this format and it will make me a better driver.

Count me as one who probably over qualified. I had just run the 24 hour race at the ring. Within a few days of finishing that I started the qualifier. I spent quite a while, placed in Div. 2 and am now posting times not that competitive in Div. 2. I would like to be competitive within the Division, but I like this format and it will make me a better driver.

Don't worry mate you'll be posting time in d2 in no time. If you look at my first events I was struggling to keep up with d3 sometimes d4 I think it takes time to gel in, some people gel in faster than others.

Edit: just discovered I was driving on the wrong (long) version of the track hope no one else makes the same mistake.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, I watch lots of replays and see the lines taken and techniques used to get out of corners fast. I just can not quite pull that off. I see turns where the good racers do not brake, but just downshift, slow down at the exact right time (front tires sometimes smoking) and come out of the turn pointed correctly and accelerating. Oh, well eventually this old guy (is 52 old for this game?) will get it. 50 hours at work and my 2 girls sporting events take lots of time. GT5 is my first racing sim game, I previously just played to beat the AIs in seasonals or get all the golds, fun to have something to measure myself against. These time trials are probably the first time that I am really trying to improve.

Thanks for the encouragement, I watch lots of replays and see the lines taken and techniques used to get out of corners fast. I just can not quite pull that off. I see turns where the good racers do not brake, but just downshift, slow down at the exact right time (front tires sometimes smoking) and come out of the turn pointed correctly and accelerating. Oh, well eventually this old guy (is 52 old for this game?) will get it. 50 hours at work and my 2 girls sporting events take lots of time. GT5 is my first racing sim game, I previously just played to beat the AIs in seasonals or get all the golds, fun to have something to measure myself against. These time trials are probably the first time that I am really trying to improve.

All in the name of fun! 👍

Does anybody know how to view replay videos from GT Academy 2012, I have a couple saved on my PS3 but can't seem to import them into GT5 to view them, I was hoping to upload one to help people with this weeks TT as it is in the same car so is a similar method of driving :)

All in the name of fun! 👍

Does anybody know how to view replay videos from GT Academy 2012, I have a couple saved on my PS3 but can't seem to import them into GT5 to view them, I was hoping to upload one to help people with this weeks TT as it is in the same car so is a similar method of driving :)

I don't know Bandit (Karter?). Maybe if you still have the Academy demo loaded, you could disconnect your system from the internet, go into the date and time setings, change the date back to when the academy was being run and see if it will open. I would check but I deleted the Academy once it quit working.

Kind of stupid of them to let us save replays and then not be able to enjoy them later with our grandkids huh?

I don't know Bandit (Karter?). Maybe if you still have the Academy demo loaded, you could disconnect your system from the internet, go into the date and time setings, change the date back to when the academy was being run and see if it will open. I would check but I deleted the Academy once it quit working.

Kind of stupid of them to let us save replays and then not be able to enjoy them later with our grandkids huh?

You can call me Bandit, or John if you prefer :) I may try that, I recall watching it at some point but I can't remember whether it was after GT Academy finished? It was my fastest time from round 6-2 where I was fastest, it was a fine example of how to drive this car, poetry in motion :)

I will be 50 this year! So NO 52 is not too old! Come on out on Wednesdays and race with us online too!

My first splits!

Al

Last edited:
Well this might be close to my final. I'll hit a few more time's but i'm pretty darn close to my limit's here at my level.

Did one more ;)

Last edited:
I'm guessing I need to work out which BB is best for me - tried front bias and rear bias with 6 4 and then 4 6, but found it understeered too much as opposed to 5 5. I think my splits from yesterday were on 5 5, though I switched to 7 7 and found it braked faster, but I still couldn't beat my ghost.

Will try higher gap like some of the ones listed above and see how they feel. Not saying that BB is what's slowing me down - far from it - I need to spend more time learning the corners rather than worrying about splits, because this will only make me faster. Worrying about splits seems to make me lose time by being too conscious of my times. But if this TT makes me better on Fuji, then I'll be happy with that. I've always struggled with it.

I'm guessing I need to work out which BB is best for me - tried front bias and rear bias with 6 4 and then 4 6, but found it understeered too much as opposed to 5 5. I think my splits from yesterday were on 5 5, though I switched to 7 7 and found it braked faster, but I still couldn't beat my ghost.

Will try higher gap like some of the ones listed above and see how they feel. Not saying that BB is what's slowing me down - far from it - I need to spend more time learning the corners rather than worrying about splits, because this will only make me faster. Worrying about splits seems to make me lose time by being too conscious of my times. But if this TT makes me better on Fuji, then I'll be happy with that. I've always struggled with it.

I found 4/6 to give me a good turn in under braking into the slow speed corners but it wasn't too pointy in the high/mid speed parts of the track :)
Don't forget the last sector is the longest here so concentrate on improving that as well ;)

I found 4/6 to give me a good turn in under braking into the slow speed corners but it wasn't too pointy in the high/mid speed parts of the track :)
Don't forget the last sector is the longest here so concentrate on improving that as well ;)

Yeah that's where I'm struggling the most - those corners are weird! I don't know the best line through them yet.

The last corner was where I had the most trouble. I really had to nail that apex to get the most out of it so waiting for, what seemed like forever, the car to pull around it took a lot of my patients. But I tell you what when you hit it right you'll feel like you mach3 out of it.

Pretty cool. 👍

New splits - been working on it for the past couple hours so it's good to see some movement:

22.509 22.344
35.312 35.120

Still have lots to learn on this track - so this could change like 10 times before the end of the week. It's just not gelling yet. It's a really annoying car - at least with the TVR we could tune it, with this, it's only Brake Balance - which can make it better and can often make it worse. Think I have a good setting of 2 6, but I'm not sure.

New splits - been working on it for the past couple hours so it's good to see some movement:

22.509 22.344
35.312 35.120

Still have lots to learn on this track - so this could change like 10 times before the end of the week. It's just not gelling yet. It's a really annoying car - at least with the TVR we could tune it, with this, it's only Brake Balance - which can make it better and can often make it worse. Think I have a good setting of 2 6, but I'm not sure.

I'm using 4/6 but i've also raced this track multiple times so I have a lot of the strange corners figured out. It's an odd ball track for sure. Good luck I'm sure you'll crush me soon. :nervous:

Latest Posts

Back