GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 113 : You Only Live Twice

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 189 comments
Can't stay motivated w/ this combo, my car just feels like a slug even though it shows max hp but the 5 speed just isn't doing it for me, and I like less gears :lol: It's so bad that my junky setup works better for me then "V"z setup. I think I'll put in a couple of days on i-Racing and get ready for the next combo. Good luk all catch ya on the flip flop.........

Finally some time, don't know if i have more, but wanted to give it a go

Fisrt splits:

Anyone got a setup that works? Only had the one session so far but would like to get back into it, however there's no way I can with my rubbish settings.

Matt

Guys what do you think makes you quicker - Switching gears just as the cars about to hit redline or just as it's about to hit the limiter?

I'm not talking about the car on this time trial but generally what is best ?

millross
Anyone got a setup that works? Only had the one session so far but would like to get back into it, however there's no way I can with my rubbish settings.

Matt

Hey Matt, Im using a setup that jtv posted a link to. I quite like how it handles - its linked earlier in this thread in his post.

Guys what do you think makes you quicker - Switching gears just as the cars about to hit redline or just as it's about to hit the limiter?

It just depends on the car and its power curve mostly. There are other small factors that I also consider, but the cars power curve is the main one.

There is a little shortcut trick that I use to figure out just when to shift. Before I even enter a TT, I take the car, tuned for the time trial, to the Test Track and watch the numbers on the speedo gage. When they start to slow down, thats when I shift. If you shift before they slow down or after they have already slowed down, you're missing the optomal shift point. I also go through a series of tests in just how to set up the trans, ie: flipped, not flipped, etc. There are a number of ways to set up the trans, you just have to find the best one for each car. With the help of some of the more experienced trans guys, I have made sort of an exact science out of transmission tuning and it has worked well for me.

millross

Matt

Here's what I'm using.

Lsd 7/20/10

BB 3/3

-15/-15
11.0/11.0
7/7
5/5
5/7
2.3/2.2
-. 05/-.10

Chris' gears

New splits.

I look at the max power RPM on the settings menu, then change just after the max power RPM.

Probably my last update, just to make sure I understand the white curbing rule. If I touch it with tire, and car does not hit wall or make an audible bang, it is legal. I have to send fetchy time soon, just want to make sure.

If you are talking about a curb that you can drive up on, like in the fast right-left before the tight hairpin-left, then yes, you have described it correctly.

If it's the other kind of curb that can't be driven on, then you need to be more careful around these.

After the tunnel there is a right then a tight left. It is the left I am talking about. On the bottom of the wall is what appears to be a white curb, maybe it is just paint. Any way no audible noise and car does not touch the verical white wall, but the tire is touching what I thought was a curb. Any way too late for me to post a pic. Going to submit as that time was my fastest by .2 secs. If anyone knows, I can check board Monday and submit another time.

Had another run, made just under 2 tenths at the line but still lost some time in the final sector, and ran a bit wide in the slow uphill left in sector 1.

T1 37.717
T2 27.526

Still hopefully can find a tenth, but not sure if I'll have time to run again.

*Edit.
Just read your post Patrick. I think the corner you mean is just paint. The optimum line is to take the corner on the white painted line (from Chris' video) i ran wide on that corner on my fastest lap - didn't get onto that painted part and lost a tenth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the setups/setup pointers gents 👍

Been quicker by .2 to the split, but crushed t3 on this lap. Bit more left, maybe a (very) high 9? Like .999 high :lol:

Nice splits argon/toaster - you'll be beating me this week without a doubt

Ran wide in turn 3 (left) and then skidded too much at the hairpin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the setups/setup pointers gents 👍

Been quicker by .2 to the slit,must crushed t3 on this lap. Bit more left, maybe a (very) high 9? Like .999 high :lol:

Nice splits argon/toaster - you'll be beating me this week without a doubt

Thanks but the week is far from over yet and you always pull something from the bag :) I hit a very purple patch on Friday with those splits although haven't managed to string all my best sectors together yet. BTW I'm running with Chris's V2 set-up (thanks Chris) but am using my DS3 👍

Few observations from today's session:

Chris's gears are lovely!
-0.07 rear toe is lovely
4/6 bb is lovely
Mild AS give a little more cornering stability
- Chassis reinforcement is a MUST IMHO.

- first few laps of the gp.... :drool:

Edit: had another go, post GP ;)

Lost out early on in t2 but recovered it and hit a good last sector. Two tenths max left, all in sector 2. I don't get how I'm losing out a full half a second there, although it does have the toughest turn on the track in it which I am pretty rubbish at, so that *could* explain it.

Few pics

8669065532_7b96e508f2_c.jpg

8669065814_b02faae3b7_c.jpg

8667964323_b5ddc962ca_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've worked really hard on this one. Much more than I usually do, but I'm getting nowhere! I really can't see where you guys are gaining time on me and YOU Mike make me feel sooo inadequate :lol: I'm hanging around here waiting for the next TT just to change the tune. I'll try Matt's tweaks to Chris's tune but then I'm done.

Edit 3 minutes later :) :

Last edited:
I've only got about 30 laps in so far. This is my first TT posting and I feel quite inadequate.

T1: 38.567
T2: 28.698

T1: 38.298
T2: 28.621

Sark

Last edited:
I've worked really hard on this one. Much more than I usually do, but I'm getting nowhere! I really can't see where you guys are gaining time on me and YOU Mike make me feel sooo inadequate :lol: I'm hanging around here waiting for the next TT just to change the tune. I'll try Matt's tweaks to Chris's tune but then I'm done.

It probably will never happen again Alan. I just got lucky with a track that I absolutely love and a car that seems to suit me or more specifically my DS3.

FYI: I'm running 5/4 BB, found that the rear bias was giving me way too much rotation and once it starts sliding you just as well quit and re-start. Drifting is definitely not the quickest way around a corner with this one 👍

Thanks for the tip. I just decided to quit before this gets too obsessive 👍
Might have a go tomorrow - a night's sleep usually helps!

I'm not afraid to tell you, this is the first track that has had me in near tears. I just don't get it. I try everything I know....to no avail. Really reaching my wits end with this combo. Just banging my head rifgt now, hoping an idea will break lose.

I'm not afraid to tell you, this is the first track that has had me in near tears. I just don't get it. I try everything I know....to no avail. Really reaching my wits end with this combo. Just banging my head rifgt now, hoping an idea will break lose.
Been there, done that, here you go...
picture.php

Been there, done that, here you go...
picture.php

:lol: Thanks man, thanks really knowing how I feel. My main problem is the second tunnel. I lose everything I gain right there. I don't know how to approach it or go through it, but that is my biggest problem.

At this point, I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just call it a wash. I did good last week, so I guess you just gotta take the bad with the good. Its alright, I'll just learn from this weeks replays and practice what and I see. I just get so damn fustrated because I hate to lose. As you all know, I am a very fierce competiter and really hate to lose.....at anything. I once super glued my sisters shoes to the inside of the toilet just above the water line because she beat me at the 50 yard dash in school. I wasn't happy.......neither was she.:lol::mischievous:

:lol: Thanks man, thanks really knowing how I feel. My main problem is the second tunnel. I lose everything I gain right there. I don't know how to approach it or go through it, but that is my biggest problem.
The way I see it you've got flat pedal from the hairpin until the s-bends after the tunnel. The better you fix the hairpin, the faster you end up at the s-bends. Avoid all curbs and steer carefully (I'm sure AS mild would help). But then again taking advice from me is like visiting a bald hairdresser or eating at a restaurant with an anorexic chef :lol:

Good thing you didn't superglue your sister to the toilet. That's been done.

The way I see it you've got flat pedal from the hairpin until the s-bends after the tunnel. The better you fix the hairpin, the faster you end up at the s-bends. Avoid all curbs and steer carefully (I'm sure AS mild would help). But then again taking advice from me is like visiting a bald hairdresser or eating at a restaurant with an anorexic chef :lol:

Good thing you didn't superglue your sister to the toilet. That's been done.

Nah, I coluldn't do that. You see, she was a tom-boy and bigger and more athletic than I was. That would be a grave mistake on my part for even trying that. It was a death sentence as it was after she got ahold of me for the whole shoe ordeal. :lol: Not to mention the ass beating I got from my Dad. I severely paid for that one.:scared:

Sorry this has been a while coming... its been a pretty horrible week here and I've not run the thing myself since Wednesday. :indiff: Anyway, here's a short run down of sector 2:

Just after the T1 split, dab the brakes and lift off staying in 4th gear and turn in (if you're using my gears). When pointed at the apex, get back on the throttle and keep it flat through the left hander and up the hill. Apex speed at the right hander should be ~90mph. Trail brake the hairpin at the top of the hill and change right down to 1st to slide the rear round slightly (I'm still using BB 5/5). Let it settle and get back on the power. Flat out and changing up to 3rd for the right hander into the 2nd tunnel - stay off the curb there, it'll throw the car off and you'll have to get out of the throttle.

I've given up on this one, submitted earlier today. Not sure why I'm so far off the pace this week, the car drives really nice, but just can't see where I'm going wrong. Nice job Argon and toaster. At least my t3 is decent (I think).

Back