GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 21 : Mini Me

• Thread starter EDK
  • 223 comments
I'm submitting my time with the splits on the board as I'm burned out on this mini.

Regardless of the outcome, thanks a ton to the D3 guys for pushing so hard this week. It was an awesome back and forth battle on the leader board. Can't wait to see the final results. That first 42.2XX that Kristof posted and Gravitron quickly matched really changed my mindset and made me throw out what I was doing and search for something different.

Hopefully a few drivers post all 3 of their individual lap times in the result thread. The total time is really only part of the story and it would be fun to see who was consistent vs who got "golden" laps. We should have a side-contest for the driver with the lowest variation (standard deviation). Enter your three lap times here to calculate it.

Hopefully a few drivers post all 3 of their individual lap times in the result thread. The total time is really only part of the story and it would be fun to see who was consistent vs who got "golden" laps. We should have a side-contest for the driver with the lowest variation (standard deviation). Enter your three lap times here to calculate it.

Nice idea, although over three laps I was useless. If this event was over two laps, well that would be a different matter entirely!!

Will post my three laps, stddev for two and stddev for three laps in the results thread tomorrow.

Agree, D3 competition and banter was excellent this week. Here's hoping none of you beat me :sly:

Not much of an improvement this week, but very consistant over the 3 laps.

T1: 15.053
T2: 17.184
T3: 10.201

D3 definitely made me push myself to my limit this week. I wanted to smash my DS3 because of what I kno I could achieve but not be able to consistently do it. I ran a 42.2xx but on the 3rd lap I went just a hair off track with my tires that should've stayed on.:banghead:
I did manage to do faster times but I haven't had a chance to verify they were clean because I had to head to work. If they are clean I will have the splits up in about 12 hours or so.
D3 gentlemen. Good battles this week:tup:

Guys, I'm done, with the splits on the board. Truce. :bowdown: But somehow I don't feel like I'll end up in 3rd (my current position on the board). :sly:

Agree with all the recent comments about D3 (except for Carlos' plea to not beat him :P).
It's been a fun and crazy week. Thanks a bunch for pushing it up into D2 territory. 👍
All told, I probably put a good 12+hrs into this one. :dunce:

teecro, something to note about DS3 vs a wheel (since I switched back and forth frequently on this one):
On a DS3 when you're locked to a turn, and you realize you're going too fast, you have to let off the gas a little. But on a wheel, you can over-turn and get a similar effect. Both slow you down, but with the wheel it's more fine-grained. I definitely had better experiences on the wheel vs DS3 this week.

Thanks Kevin & Co for all the WRS work, and for the flashback! :cheers:
Why no splits, Kevin?

Final update
That's it for me, time submitted.
:cheers: and good luck all.

teecro, something to note about DS3 vs a wheel (since I switched back and forth frequently on this one):
On a DS3 when you're locked to a turn, and you realize you're going too fast, you have to let off the gas a little. But on a wheel, you can over-turn and get a similar effect. Both slow you down, but with the wheel it's more fine-grained. I definitely had better experiences on the wheel vs DS3 this week.

Thank you for that advice.👍
About letting off the throttle a little, that is actually something that I had discovered when I threw my old method out the window and tried some new ones to reach that higher time.
It's the consistency that is killing me and the less accuracy I have with the joystick. I know where I want to put it, but with the joy stick I can't, I'm either just a hair too early or a hair too late.
But when I finally get it dialed in I get too nervous on the last lap and screw up.:banghead: I don't know how many times that had happened to me today.
Still have yet to give up. Going to give it another small session today before I move to the next even.

Hi Peter - nice to see you back around these parts 👍

New splits from me

Have run a 42.195 but the other two laps were attrocious. I'm very happy with the consistency of the run with the posted splits however :)

:cheers:

Great to get back into it. Weather has been unusually warm and dry the last few weekends for winter. Great to come back and see the "Usual Suspect(s)" up the top (Yeah I mean you as well Jon and Matt) :lol:

And in D3, everyone is so improved even to mix up with D2 now, really great competition 👍

Submitting with these slightly slower splits, consistent L1/L2 but no good L3 👎

Ended up on BB 0/9 , tried 7/2 , 2/7 , 1/8 all yielding about the same results.

Great to get back into it. Weather has been unusually warm and dry the last few weekends for winter. Great to come back and see the "Usual Suspect(s)" up the top (Yeah I mean you as well Jon and Matt) :lol:

And in D3, everyone is so improved even to mix up with D2 now, really great competition 👍

Submitting with these slightly slower splits, consistent L1/L2 but no good L3 👎

Ended up on BB 0/9 , tried 7/2 , 2/7 , 1/8 all yielding about the same results.

I have the same lap three issue. I think the car is quite consistent for the first two laps, but on the third it seems that the rears come in and really upset the balance. No doubt the really fast guys can adapt quickly, but I'm not one of them! My BB was 2/5 for the record.

I'll throw this out there for anyone that wants to possibly give it another try with something different. Last night I was using a BB of 0/6, had some improvments of my previous times.

I have the same lap three issue. I think the car is quite consistent for the first two laps, but on the third it seems that the rears come in and really upset the balance. No doubt the really fast guys can adapt quickly, but I'm not one of them! My BB was 2/5 for the record.

Give BB 8/2 a go, i used that, seems to give it nice bite on the front end whilst stabilising the rear when feeding the power back on

not much difference in what I posted before, had a .202 but the three laps were .003 slower then this set of splits..... so I'm submitting now.... felt pretty good about this week, but now I just don't know. Don't think I did enough to get a podium this week. was fun though, love these multi lap runs.... good luck everyone!

... unfortunately, since this is a 3-lap event, this is not as good as it looks.

... still running

Every single week I have the slowest (or one of the slowest) T1s of the people around or above me. I'm terming this T1itis - I barely EVER get under 15 seconds and as always, I have absolutely no clue why! I'm taking the turns well and getting at best 14.99x or 15.0xx

Edit: Slowest T1 of the top 15, 2nd fastest T2 of the top 15 - I might change my handle to GTP_Lopsided....

Last edited:
I officially give-up.
I am consistent at being almost 3 tenths slower than my best time every lap.
Verrrry irritating because I know I can do better, and have done better.
I just always screw it up somehow. :banghead:
Anyway here is this best I've done so far...
T1: 14.976
T2: 17.216
T3: 10.147

-----

EDIT: WOW! There is only .113 separating the top 5 people in D3 right now.
Can't wait to see how those results pan out tonight!
Excellent battle this week gentlemen.:cheers:

Last edited:
Ok. Submission time with these

15.120 (!!!!!)
16.992 (!!!!!!!!!!)

I feel somewhat vexed at submitting an overall time with a best lap that has the 7th slowest overall T1 combined with the fastest T2 (at time of writing) Oh well, it's my overall best so who cares :P

Consistent enough but there was a golden trifecta out there that I couldn't quite get. Onto Fuji!

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin & Co for all the WRS work, and for the flashback! :cheers:
Why no splits, Kevin?

I didn't really have time to give this one the effort I would have liked. I ran 2 very short sessions early in the week, and my pace was toward the bottom of the board. This is normally a track I run well at, so not sure why that was. But it was clear to me that I would not have time to give it a proper effort to get on pace, so I moved my focus to other areas. Had some nice online racing yesterday with Team SMART in the morning, and some shuffle races with Aldo, theewar, FASTAS and MadMax later in the afternoon/evening. I even managed a race win at Laguna. ;)

I should be back in the saddle with the Fuji combo this week. 👍

15.120 (!!!!!)
16.992 (!!!!!!!!!!)

I feel somewhat vexed at submitting an overall time with a best lap that has the 7th slowest overall T1 combined with the fastest T2 (at time of writing) Oh well, it's my overall best so who cares :P

In my (admittedly inexperienced) view, I do think there was a somewhat significant give/take between T1 and T2 so it doesn't surprise me. I was complaining about the see/saw all week and I ended up sacrificing T1 a bit for a better T2. But you certainly took everything T2 had to offer. Wow!

EDIT: Looking again at the top few drivers on the leader board they managed to avoid most if not all of that see/saw... how the heck do they do it? :bowdown:

Question: It looks, in the replay center, that you can't load the three laps into the data analyzer... is that right or am I missing something? I can load my "best lap" saved replay in the data analyzer, but not the full 3 lap run.

Was hoping to analyze a few of the fastest replays to see exactly what others were doing and compare to my approach. If we can't use data analyzer for the "official" replays used for verification, maybe there's a way a few people could (voluntarily of course) submit their best lap replay also? Not sure how we'd share those and not cause confusion with the official replays... Any suggestions?

I'm hoping the videos are done like last week of the top 3... very cool to see the different lines... I'm just excited to see everyone's times.... I have a pretty good guess on what its going to take to win D3, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say or not.

Question: It looks, in the replay center, that you can't load the three laps into the data analyzer... is that right or am I missing something? I can load my "best lap" saved replay in the data analyzer, but not the full 3 lap run.

Was hoping to analyze a few of the fastest replays to see exactly what others were doing and compare to my approach. If we can't use data analyzer for the "official" replays used for verification, maybe there's a way a few people could (voluntarily of course) submit their best lap replay also? Not sure how we'd share those and not cause confusion with the official replays... Any suggestions?

You're correct, the full replays don't allow for uploading into the data analyzer. In order to accommodate your request, the top drivers would have needed to save their Ghost replays in addition to the 3 lap replays. IF they have done that, I would suggest email exchange of the replays, rather than cluttering the thread and confusing the Fetchbot.

I'm hoping the videos are done like last week of the top 3... very cool to see the different lines... I'm just excited to see everyone's times.... I have a pretty good guess on what its going to take to win D3, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say or not.

Yah, should probably wait until the deadline... I have the same urge and can't wait for the results. I usually manage to squander leads in the splits leader board so I'm not banking anything.

I'll be posting my 3 lap times and 3 sets of splits in the results thread along with standard deviation and hope you do too... I'm anxious to see how consistent everyone was across the three laps. I logged so many hours this week (I'm up there with Gravitron at 12++) that I want to analyze the heck out of the results.

We (really just speaking for myself so should say I, but we sounds better) know you'll be making the jump up the ranks soon and wanted to give you a run for your money this week so you remember us in D3 👍

There are a few of these combos that match my style and hopefully I can compete with a few of the D2 guys on those weeks. Like the Monza combo a few weeks ago... I'm still kicking myself for not putting in the time that week to take full advantage. I left a lot on the table and didn't know better given it was my first week in the WRS. The last couple weeks on the other hand really were a reality check for me with combos that I couldn't even compete for a D3 podium. You excelled (relative to D3 at least) both those weeks with pretty challenging cars to drive... hopefully my skill set will evolve to that point in the not too distant future.

Unfortunately I won't be submitting as well.

I did try the combo and it's great fun, but I already had a hard time to drive a single lap that was on par with my div/level and just didn't have enough time to string 3 laps together.

Good luck to everybody submitting! 👍

I'll post my results...... hearing the amount of time you and Gravitron have put in really worries me. Thanks for the compliments, I am sure you won't be far behind me.

hearing the amount of time you and Gravitron have put in really worries me.

What worries me is it took so much seat time for me to see that first 42.3XX lap and a lot of other drivers seemed to get there pretty quickly. I guess a better starting point will come with more experience... And more precision will mean I can test new approaches much faster as I'll be able to reduce the number of variables. Turn 5 was a nightmare because I had a hard time replicating anything that worked consistently enough until I had a ridiculous amount of laps under my belt.

Still gratifying though at the end of the week when you can run times in your sleep that you didn't think possible a few days earlier. Unfortunately 42.2XX never got into that category and I think those laps were as much luck as skill for me :)

I want to see what the top drivers logged for their worst lap. That will put it in perspective.

Matt that's an outstanding T2, especially if you managed it on more than one of the three laps :crazy: All hail GTP_lopsided :lol:

D3 crew - the battle has been immense this week and you've all put in some serious hours, but if you want to see dedication for a WRS event, you still have some way to go to catch Mr all or nothing, Chukabilly and his efforts in week 15 :crazy:

Good luck everyone :cheers:

Back