GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 35 : Weds Forest

• Thread starter EDK
  • 231 comments
I'm so terrible at tuning. :ouch: Everything I've done so far has made it worse.

Try Chris's tune (Vagabond). I was quicker right away with it. Thanks for the tune Chris.👍

Try Chris's tune (Vagabond). I was quicker right away with it. Thanks for the tune Chris.👍

I'm giving that a try right now It's pulled my back to my original fastest lap but my laps are being shot because I can't get back on the throttle quick enough without the car sliding.

Nice T2 Jonas 👍

Jonas mate - watch out for the cobbles outside the line in the tunnel. That was nearly the ruin of my current best lap but there is a thin strip of tarmac just before the cobbles start. :)
Thanks Chris. I was actually surprised when I checked the replay for splits! I expected the first sector to be better, relatively speaking. Now I just need to figure out how to go faster in T1, although there's not much mystery there; it's in the left/right just before the split...

Going to try the combo out online for a while first though, will have another crack at it tomorrow.

Managed to get a whole second off my time, almost had 1.5secs off but realised my exit from turn 1 went wider than I thought and I was driving with 2 wheels on the cobbles :(

T1: 25.558
T2: 29.432

EDIT: I guess most of my time is coming from T3, but the extra half a second I can lose for certain is in T1

Up to top power now, got:

Used my own unscientific tune. Tried Vagabond's but didn't get on with it.

Tried Vagabond's but didn't get on with it.

Not everyone does. The 'key' to my setup is to push it hard - stay on the throttle as much as you can. Lift off too much and it loses grip pretty quick. Thrash it mercilessly. :)

New splits. Ended up turning ABS back on to 1 and changed my entry into Turn 1 and it made all the difference.

T1: 25.003
T2: 28.336

If I can just figure out how to get through T1 quicker I could have a really solid lap by the end of the week.

Wow it's been a long time for me, Laguna I think! Summer is over, back to holding up the leader board, from the bottom!!

First run, no set up yet.

Similar T1 and T2 to earlier but T3 is half a second up, this my first WRS also.

T1 - 25.207
T2 - 28.742

New splits

T1 - 24.830
T2 - 28.377

Theres more time to be had especially in the last corner my ghost was catching fast. Cheers for the tune Chris. Can I ask why the low lsd figures?

Online practice paid off, got this in 5 laps in practice mode. :)

Up .4 at the line, you can really carry a looot of speed through the final bend if you get the line right.

Can I ask why the low lsd figures?

You can ask... :sly:

Such low settings are obviously not realistic based on real-world mechanics but as is often the case, what works in the game has no basis in reality. Higher LSD settings tend to have the opposite effect of those expected. Too high on the power side, the outer drive wheel will spin up in the traction zones inducing power oversteer. A lower setting keeps the back end in line and its easier to get quickly to full power without spinning out although some traction can be lost, so its a balancing act. Most GT cars also suffer the age old GT-understeer so a lower deceleration setting makes high-speed turn in easier. The opposite applies to lower grip tyres and a high LSD deceleration setting with, say, comfort tyres will lock up the rear more easily on turn in, particularly if you are trail-braking. So generally a low LSD deceleration setting is preferable. For cars that tend to oversteer, power setting should be set so the inside wheel just about starts to spin up before the outside on corner exits. For cars that tend to understeer (rear wheel drive) the opposite applies. This car has a slight tendency to understeer on full throttle so I've set the LSD so the outer wheel starts to spin up first - this starts to push the rear wide on corner exits.

Small improvement again....

Only up 0.06 at the line - put a rear wheel on the grass exiting the last corner and lost traction and so 2 tenths down on my best 3rd sector. Still chasing 2 tenths then....

Gotcha , I know what you mean I used to run lower numbers thinking the diff was locking. But I was getting the sensation you described.

I was mainly asking about the 'accel', I always go low 'decel' . Cheers.

Such low settings are obviously not realistic based on real-world mechanics but as is often the case, what works in the game has no basis in reality. Higher LSD settings tend to have the opposite effect of those expected. Too high on the power side, the outer drive wheel will spin up in the traction zones inducing power oversteer. A lower setting keeps the back end in line and its easier to get quickly to full power without spinning out although some traction can be lost, so its a balancing act. Most GT cars also suffer the age old GT-understeer so a lower deceleration setting makes high-speed turn in easier. The opposite applies to lower grip tyres and a high LSD deceleration setting with, say, comfort tyres will lock up the rear more easily on turn in, particularly if you are trail-braking. So generally a low LSD deceleration setting is preferable. For cars that tend to oversteer, power setting should be set so the inside wheel just about starts to spin up before the outside on corner exits. For cars that tend to understeer (rear wheel drive) the opposite applies. This car has a slight tendency to understeer on full throttle so I've set the LSD so the outer wheel starts to spin up first - this starts to push the rear wide on corner exits.

Chris, your knowledge of tuning and the end results are astonishing. If there were such a position as "Vagabond's Tuning Apprentice" I would be sending in my application. 👍

Just getting started on this combo now. The grip is so high my wrists are getting sore with the feedback. It's that or the 50 race laps I ran yesterday at Daytona Road in the Jaguar. :lol:

Some more laps and still can´t turn all the 24.2x together with a good lap :ill:

T1: 24.470
T2: 28.239

I am never posting my setup again.... :cool:

Thanks for your setup! It helped me improve my lap time by .5s more or less so far. (Hey, psst, next time just share it with me, I am no threat to you! :dopey:)

Chris's Tune, but without the aggression. Will try recommended attack with tune next.

T1: 25.478
T2: 29.380

Chris's Tune, with the aggression, but lacking a bit of the skill. Still working on breaking in the car.

T1: 24.620
T2: 28.479

Was just about to say that EDK is taking no prisoners this week, but his splits disappeared from the board so I'll hold my tongue. Somebody break up the noisy Brit party at the top of the board please as I'm trying to sleep. You guys serving tea? :lol:

Slightly slower splits, slightly faster lap:

T1: 24.566
T2: 28.569

Last edited:

I've had 29.002 for t2... it's not easy being inconsistent...

T1: 24.395
T2: 28.408

EDK has some phantom splits on the board that Im aiming to beat. Might take awhile tho.:)

Edit: Nope they are gone. I will have to choose a new mini goal now. lol

T1: 24.285
T2: 28.327

:)👍

Last edited:
Was just about to say that EDK is taking no prisoners this week, but his splits disappeared from the board so I'll hold my tongue. Somebody break up the noisy Brit party at the top of the board please as I'm trying to sleep. You guys serving tea? :lol:

EDK has some phantom splits on the board that Im aiming to beat. Might take awhile tho.:)

By quoting Yanaran's splits, fetchbot picked them up being EDK's splits :sly:

WRP001
Somebody break up the noisy Brit party at the top of the board please as I'm trying to sleep.

I'll try my best, even though I'm also a Brit, just living in Canada now ;)

New splits

T1 - 24.368
T2 - 27.957

A poor T1 leaves me looking for about 0.25s on the lap as I've seen a number of low 24.1's. However, the rest of the lap was pretty good now I've got a tune I'm happy with :)

Not going to have too much time this week, but hopefully we won't let the Brits flood the podium!! :D

Fantastic combo, difficult to close the game for RL issues ...

Many more laps to follow but I doubt I will break into the 54's.

After 15 minutes, .15 gain at the line

T1-24.180
T2-27.963

Definatly 51 T2 there

EDIT- had another go lap 2

T1-24.210
T2-27.868

Last edited:
T1: 24.395
T2: 28.408

:)👍

I saw it last night when looking at the leaderboard and manually deleted them. ;)

Updated splits -

T1 - 24.820
T2 - 28.210

Im up 3 tenths at the line , theres maybe another 2 tenths to find but im at my limit I think.

Back