GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 40 : EDK Goes to Laguna

• Thread starter EDK
  • 123 comments
IMPORTANT NOTE

The OCD has just changed and the car for this week's event is no longer available.

Ah well, I was thinking of taking the week off. Now my decision is made. My wife will be pleased.:lol: Good luck everyone. See you in week 41.

Last edited:
the_wilco
Ah well, I was thinking of taking the week off. Now my decision is made. My wife will be pleased.:lol: Good luck everyone. See you in week 41.

If anyone needs the car to run WRS let me know. I can gift the car. Limited only by the 1 car per day rule, but there are three of us 3d3 stewards and I'm sure they would be willing also.

I am excited to run this combo myself as I loved it in our online test tonight. Haven't had time to do 1 offline lap yet, but that will change tomorrow.

If anyone needs the car to run WRS let me know. I can gift the car. Limited only by the 1 car per day rule...

Likewise...

Updated splits from me. Car now at 143km (89 miles in old money).

18.052 :banghead: 🤬

Would have been a pretty decent lap without that T3!

Still using Dom's set-up but I've taken out a little rear wing (57 instead of 60) and running a 6/5 brake bias. Has anyone fitted chassis reinforcement yet, and if so, was it a nice experience?

Last edited:
Some more improvement, a bit close for comfort though :/

a6sw9.jpg

peypt.jpg

Some new splits:
T1: 21.892
T2: 20.416
T3: 17.270

T1: 21.866
T2: 20.283
T3: 17.182

Bad last sector.

Last edited:
Be vewwy vewwy quiet - I'm hunting Gwavitwons.

T1 22.432
T2 20.905
T3 17.670

Yeah, I'll have about as much luck as Elmer usually does - unless'n he misses a couple of left turns at Monterey.

Sweeet combo. Good luck, Kev!

Turn 5 (assuming Andretti is 2) is driving me mental.

EDIT: Jon, I have one of each version of the car, but haven't had a chance to try it with Dom's tune offline yet. It was (briefly) pretty good online, though, but I doubt it'll help much offline without an extreme tune. I can whack it on my profile later or send it (with reinforcement) if you like.

Last edited:
Don't hunt me, you're supposed to be hunting Stimpy:
rs2.jpg

Dom's tune and online testing is what made me go faster last night. Except I used -25 in the rear instead of -35, and did the tranny trick. No chassis reinforcement for me, but I do have 2 copies of the car, so might try it. Can also gift if anyone needs it. Using full downforce.

Turn 5 is the >90deg left before the uphill? Yes, that one's a bit hard, but it actually seemed worse in previous GT games, to me. I brake earlier than the driving line tells me and get back on power ASAP. I know, that's the recipe for almost every turn. :dopey: I finally figured out how to take the fast left before the cork without brakes or downshifting though: turn in way before you think you should. :)

Be vewwy vewwy quiet - I'm hunting Gwavitwons
:lol: Bwiwwiant!

EDIT: Jon, I have one of each version of the car, but haven't had a chance to try it with Dom's tune offline yet. It was (briefly) pretty good online, though, but I doubt it'll help much offline without an extreme tune. I can whack it on my profile later or send it (with reinforcement) if you like.

Thanks Ren, but don't worry about it for now. I still need some more time in the car as it stands to hook a better T3 into the rest of the lap. Plus Lucas has highlighted the gear ratios as an area that I need to work on as well which should hopefully bring some more time with very little additional effort 💡

Tranny max speed set to 290 km/h, but not satisfied with it. I have not had time to fiddle with the tranny trick yet but I am sure it will help. Engine has a very narrow powerband, I keep it between 4500-5500 rpm but in some corners it does not fit.

I did the rigidity improvement and am still undecided. The car feels heavier, but perhaps also a little less understeery.

I am surprised how little lift-off effect this MR has. They dialed it out, but I want it back :dopey:

Did anyone find out if custom ratios help at all? I just set the max speed and left it.

I found a (not huge, but) marked difference between just moving the Top Speed slider, and doing the tranny trick (first move Final to max, 5.5; then move Top Speed to min setting; then re-adjust Final back down so the speed shown in the upper right box is where you want it [175mph for me]. Then adjust individual gears, but I haven't gotten to this part yet).

Like Simon, I'm keeping it 4500-5500, despite Dom and Kevin saying they shift at 6k. It's interesting because the exhaust note gets more "pleasing" above 6k, but I think the power curves show that torque starts dropping drastically as you approach 6k. But who knows, we need better graphs! :grumpy:

Don't hunt me, you're supposed to be hunting Stimpy:

Nah, he clung tenaciously and escaped.

Dom's tune and online testing is what made me go faster last night. Except I used -25 in the rear instead of -35, and did the tranny trick. No chassis reinforcement for me, but I do have 2 copies of the car, so might try it. Can also gift if anyone needs it. Using full downforce.

Turn 5 is the >90deg left before the uphill? Yes, that one's a bit hard, but it actually seemed worse in previous GT games, to me. I brake earlier than the driving line tells me and get back on power ASAP. I know, that's the recipe for almost every turn. :dopey: I finally figured out how to take the fast left before the cork without brakes or downshifting though: turn in way before you think you should. :)

Using Dom's tune for the fast(er - for me) laps so far, haven't tweaked the gears further yet (not sure how, in this instance, given the powerband). Brief online trial was, uh, interesting.

Early days, so seeing progress and tweaking everywhere, but T5 just seems to scrub way more speed than necessary. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong.

T6 is definitely nifty. I probably won't be able to take it quite as fast as wheel users, though.

There's really not many "unimportant" corners here, are there?

Some more laps and starting to get to the limit but now i´m choking big time on T4 :grumpy::grumpy:

T1: 21.995
T2: 20.445
T3: 17.349

I found a (not huge, but) marked difference between just moving the Top Speed slider, and doing the tranny trick (first move Final to max, 5.5; then move Top Speed to min setting; then re-adjust Final back down so the speed shown in the upper right box is where you want it [175mph for me]. Then adjust individual gears, but I haven't gotten to this part yet).

Like Simon, I'm keeping it 4500-5500, despite Dom and Kevin saying they shift at 6k. It's interesting because the exhaust note gets more "pleasing" above 6k, but I think the power curves show that torque starts dropping drastically as you approach 6k. But who knows, we need better graphs! :grumpy:

Thanks I'll give that a go. I'm using autobox right now since I don't have anywhere to put my wheel and as such I'm stuck on DS3, I think it might be a decent idea to learn how to manual shift on it though.

I set my tranny up in the trick style with a twist. i made it so Im going thru the gears from 5000 RPMs to 6000 RPMs every gear and when I finally figured out how to get it done and sweetly. I then ran a lap 1 second lower than my previous OT. As I was trying to dial it in I was going lower but only by tenths.

I also made it so I hit top speed of the track at 6000 RPM in 6th gear.

Something to try and how did I do it? Trial and error basically. Just envisioned a trick tranny that all gears run in the powerband the whole width and made it happen after doing the basic trick tranny setup just like Kevin describe in the Tuskuba 500 thread.

Used Daytona to do the individual gear rough in to all drop to 5 much easier and quicker than driving around Laguna.

I found you dont want 6th gear set all the way left before you adjust the final drive down and you wont adjust the top speed down so much of course as well, probably other ways to do it, I got it to work.

Another thing I did was keep tweaking until i found settings that made my car hit 6 on the tac at many of the corner entries almost exactly and I wouldnt have to downshift thru many of them. Tried to eliminate most ackward shifts but keep the revs between 5 and 6 thru all the gears.

Dont try to get 5th to hit 6000Rpm at the corckskrew. I have to either be in 6th for a little bit before the entry or run high rev up the hill a ways in 5th. Makes the rest of the corners line up pretty dang sweet.👍

Great science there, Jack. 👍 Now let's see some splits. :sly:

My current-splits ghost kept beating me last night. Closest I got was on my very first lap last night, about .05 behind, and then kept getting slower or crashing over the next 100 miles. :ouch: Ended the session when I saw the HP had dropped to 513 313.

I blame Jon, who politely asked me to "slow down". :dopey:

EDIT: Oops, too much HP above.

Last edited:
T1: 21.838
T2: 20.331
T3: 17.327

Much better last sector.

T1: 21.871
T2: 20.245
T3: 17.167
Not ideal last sector but happy with my time. I'll submit this for now.

Last edited:
This is really a slow week...:nervous:

But i´m really enjoying this combo so i put aside a little bit MW3 and did some more laps.
Now to try and string all together as i lost on this lap almost .150 on T2 and see regular 21.9 on T1.

T1: 22.047
T2: 20.551
T3: 17.155

I haven't ran it much since, but my new setup is
max/min
max/min
10/1
10/1
7/1
2.0/1.0 0.00/-0.10

Downforce at 35/50 too.

Just tried a couple of laps. What a fabulous little racecar. Regret that I didn't try it earlier. Don't know if I have the time to put in a decent effort though.

Car now at 205km (127 miles) and still running Dominic's original set up with BB at 6/5 and rear DF at 57. Trans is still stock but top speed adjusted to show 285km/h in the top right box.

Dropped a tenth in T1 and .25 in T4 :ouch: but at least it's in the right ballpark now!

Last edited:
T1: 21.856
T2: 20.306
T3: 17.126

Made some changes to my setup and I know there's more in it.

Just tried Dominic's original setup. Very good.

Slight setup mods. Much better. Took almost .4 off lap.

I did the tranny trick; final gear to max (5.500), max speed to min (180 km/h), then adjust:
1th 2.635
2nd 1.953
3rd 1.580
4th 1.350
5th 1.185
6th 1.010
Final 3.100

Not perfect yet if ever, but I can run most of the track within a very narrow RPM range. Rapid shifting is almost formula style.

I am not cutting a full second just like that, only a quarter, but that may also be due to using a non-rigidity-improved car, the other felt too heavy.

But there is something really fishy with that engine. Grabbed and added 1000 rpm lines:

powercurve.jpg

So 4500-5250 should be optimal, but I get best results when running it around 5000-5750 rpm :odd:

It's a shame that it's sweetest sound only starts above 5500 rpm :)

Thanks, Simon! 👍 Awesome post! I agree with the "optimal range" and "sweetest sound" comments.

Back