GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 40 : EDK Goes to Laguna

• Thread starter EDK
  • 123 comments
Unfortunately this was followed by a slowish t4. Still improved a bit though.

I'll give that tune a try.

EDIT:
Bazinga!!! ;)

Last edited:
I haven't ran it much since, but my new setup is
max/min
max/min
10/1
10/1
7/1
2.0/1.0 0.00/-0.10

Downforce at 35/50 too.

Well that certainly helps the car turn, and loose some understeer 👍👍👍

But I must say I find it a bit obscene. An all-extremes tune ought to make it undriveable, but it seems the spec2 rule is just set everything to min or max. Not a criticism of you Dom, but of the game.

I found it a bit too loose though, so using df=35/55 and rh=-10/-35.

The corkscrew stole my tenths and I want them back :mad:

I am still a bit confused over the powerband thing. When I ran it all out to 6000+ rpm I beat the time above (but was dirty). I think it is because lift-off effect is bigger on high revs, so it actually helps cornering.

Great science there, Jack. 👍 Now let's see some splits. :sly:

Hahaha...well Im not officially particapating this week. I only did one session and I want to play another game instead. I was doing the seasonal TT at Trial Mountain Reverse and altho Im doing ok I just lost all my TT will power.

I need a GT5 super ultra hardcore TT break.:)

Well that certainly helps the car turn, and loose some understeer 👍👍👍

But I must say I find it a bit obscene. An all-extremes tune ought to make it undriveable, but it seems the spec2 rule is just set everything to min or max. Not a criticism of you Dom, but of the game.

I found it a bit too loose though, so using df=35/55 and rh=-10/-35.

Cicua (Simon is it?), the max/min phenomenon is not a result of Spec 2.0 as it was used to good effect in week 25.

Great splits Christophe 👍

So 4500-5250 should be optimal, but I get best results when running it around 5000-5750 rpm :odd:

It's a shame that it's sweetest sound only starts above 5500 rpm :)
Hey cool picture, are you sure it's accurate with the rpm? I only ask because I remember I tried to do something similar once and the torque peak (in the spec sheet) didn't match up with the rpm's on the graph when I did evenly spaced lines like you did. Is the stated torque peak for this car at 4000?

Anyway... Assuming the rpm's match up, because the power curve is rather steep before, and flatter after the peak, theoretically you should get better results by stretching your shift points quite a bit past the peak HP. So like you've found in lap times it's probably better to shift near 6000 rather than risk dropping down to far on the left side after you upshift.

I've not had time to run the combo at all since my last post unfortunately. I got a package in the mail that said "Skyrim" on the front and that's pretty much been all I've been playing since. :) I'll see if I can get a little bit of online practice and maybe run the 3d3 race as a back-marker, but I won't have time to submit anything for the WRS.

I got a package in the mail that said "Skyrim" on the front and that's pretty much been all I've been playing since. :)

Barry the Nord (not me, you understand) has been playing for 42 hours in total. :scared:

I can't really remember what racing games are like....

I must bring my wheel downstairs and do some laps of this....

Edit: Dont have this car. Anyone got one to share?

Edit 2: Been running seasonal events trying to make the used car dealership rotate and give me the MR-S - wishful thinking lol

Last edited:
Cicua (Simon is it?), the max/min phenomenon is not a result of Spec 2.0 as it was used to good effect in week 25.

(yes)

Did not know, have been away for long, thanks 👍

Hey cool picture, are you sure it's accurate with the rpm? I only ask because I remember I tried to do something similar once and the torque peak (in the spec sheet) didn't match up with the rpm's on the graph when I did evenly spaced lines like you did. Is the stated torque peak for this car at 4000?

I never noticed that the peak power and torque are stated :dunce:

The stated torque peak is at 4500 rpm so something is clearly wrong. Power peak at 5400 looks a bit more right.

Thinking of it, I believe the curves are right, PD just screwed up the labels.

If we say the graph really starts at 800 rpm (idle) instead of zero, it all makes much more sense:

powercurve800.jpg

Anyway... Assuming the rpm's match up, because the power curve is rather steep before, and flatter after the peak, theoretically you should get better results by stretching your shift points quite a bit past the peak HP. So like you've found in lap times it's probably better to shift near 6000 rather than risk dropping down to far on the left side after you upshift.

That is still a very valid point 👍

I got a package in the mail that said "Skyrim" on the front ...

Ahh the dragon slaying... I will just stick to the corners :)

Edit: Dont have this car. Anyone got one to share?

Tim and Carlos offered to gift, I can do as well, but only after midnight GMT, just PM.

No worries - now that week 41 has been put up, I'm less likely to run this week anyway - particularly as 41 is just as much of a belter! Shame to pass it up, but onto next week!

.133 slower splits
.158 better at the line

Now, to get those 13 hundredths back :grumpy:

EDIT: Thanks Carlos. Or is it Jon?
\/

Last edited:
Typo on your T2 Christophe?

Edit: It's Jon :) - going very nicely there by the way! If I submit my current lap I'll slip down the order a bit as my T4 is a bit average. I've seen 0.25 quicker in that sector alone so I know there's an improvement to be had. I can't do a 17.1 in T3 with my current set-up, but there's a tenth in my T1 to be had. Would like a podium spot (just so I can get into one of your feature films :sly:) but it's getting crowded around here and I'll need to nail all four sectors to secure.

Still haven't done the tranny trick, and to be honest I'm not sure it'll give me much over my current settings. I'm changing at 6k and it drops right back to 5k each time - I'd rather spend what time I have just trying to run a clean lap.

Will give the max/min set-up a go at some point hoepfully, although I really only have about 20-30 minutes of seat time left before the submission deadline.

No worries - now that week 41 has been put up, I'm less likely to run this week anyway - particularly as 41 is just as much of a belter! Shame to pass it up, but onto next week!

Matt, nice to see you back. As Simon said, I do have a car that I could send you, but after doing some work over the weekend on my house which involved cycling the electricity on and off a number of times, my router lost all it's settings. Managed to get it up and running again last night, but now my PS3 won't connect. In short, I can't access the network - if I can get it running tonight though I'll send you the car :cheers:

Last edited:
I'm willing to register once registrations are open, did 5 laps before sleep, here are my splits:

My last sector was pretty bad... There is room for almost a second to shave off

Nice to meet you guys 👍

Hi Anastasis, welcome to the WRS.:cheers:

I see you're already trying the WRS combo's, that's great. I look forward to seeing how you do when you're officially registered.👍

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I submitted my time. Don't think I'll try this combo again. I see you guys are closing down on me.:scared:
Try WRS week 41, it's much better.:sly:
Kidding, good luck.👍

EDIT2: I corrected my typo. Sorry anastasias.:P

Last edited:
Hi Anistasias
Lool its Anastasis :lol::P

Nice to meet you, I'll try to put as much effort as I can while having school, It's going to be great 👍 But school can wait a bit :mischievous: I don't expect to be higher that Div3 bronze or Div4 gold...Somewhere around that

Submitted current splits as a banker.

Hope there will be time for another stint, I have more than the usual 0.2 to hunt.

Wes while I think you have been flying ahead for the whole week and is out of reach, I will not be lured into week 41 :D

Managed to get some more time in today,submitting with these splits.

T1 22.226
T2 20.868
T3 17.884

Matt,

If you get this in time (it's around 12:46 am GMT as I write this), I should be able to gift later today (around 6-7am GMT or later). Send an FR on PSN if you're awake and reading before then :crazy:

I've been happily tooling away at this, but not much time to post (fecal matter hit the rotating air agitation units at work, mostly sorted now).

More to come, still, hopefully:

T1 22.154
T2 20.635
T3 17.648

I was going to mention the torque/hp peak, Simon, but someone beat me to it. Where tuning and such is concerned, I just tend to assume I'm wrong, and therefore tend not to opine on record :yuck: I nicked your gears anyway :sly: - I had a set very close to that with slightly less optimized spacing. Mostly using Dom's tune, occasionally flicking back to my own.

I'm so glad I've moved to MT since we were last here. AT was killing me in that car, too. I've had a lot more practice at the track since, also - one of my favourites, but not as focused as this. Good to do some more larnin', while this coming week will probably be a write-off (just weekend availability - combo looks sick!)

I've lost a brother to Skyrim, but it won't be happening to me :mad:

I did the tranny trick; final gear to max (5.500), max speed to min (180 km/h), then adjust:
1th 2.635
2nd 1.953
3rd 1.580
4th 1.350
5th 1.185
6th 1.010
Final 3.100

Not perfect yet if ever, but I can run most of the track within a very narrow RPM range. Rapid shifting is almost formula style.

I am not cutting a full second just like that, only a quarter, but that may also be due to using a non-rigidity-improved car, the other felt too heavy.

But there is something really fishy with that engine. Grabbed and added 1000 rpm lines:

powercurve.jpg

So 4500-5250 should be optimal, but I get best results when running it around 5000-5750 rpm :odd:

It's a shame that it's sweetest sound only starts above 5500 rpm :)

The trick is in where the powerband tapers off. If you shift this car to early, you lose more then shifting to late.
I'm shifting at 5800rpm in my session, hopefully another tonight.

Peak HP for this car is at 5400 rpm, so I can't say it surprises me all that much.

The trick is in where the powerband tapers off. If you shift this car to early, you lose more then shifting to late.
I'm shifting at 5800rpm in my session, hopefully another tonight.

Peak HP for this car is at 5400 rpm, so I can't say it surprises me all that much.

That is right, I also start to make much more sense of it (see revised graph above).

FWIW I have adjusted the tranny a bit so I can always stay within 5000-5750 rpm:
1th 2.634
2nd 1.953
3rd 1.570
4th 1.345
5th 1.160
6th 1.010
Final 3.120

EDIT: Good luck Kevin! 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Mix of Dom's extreme tune, Simon's gears, Jon's rear wing...0.4+ better on the lap. 👍
Submitting this and going to get some popcorn for Cape Fear!

Just submitted with next sectors:

Not perfect, but seems best I could manage in the time I had.
Preferred to take the MX5 and the big twin out in the sun.

Really sad that such a great combo didn´t had the participation that it deserved :nervous:

Had a great time last night trying to improve and what a pleasure this little car is to drive 👍

Almost three thents to look for but don´t have the time (and the skill)

T1: 21.959
T2: 20.430
T3: 17.227

Good luck to all specially if you´re still on the track (doubt it as last post is 12 hours ago) :cheers:

Thinking of it, I believe the curves are right, PD just screwed up the labels.

If we say the graph really starts at 800 rpm (idle) instead of zero, it all makes much more sense:

powercurve800.jpg

Thanks for that revelation, Simon, that may be the most interesting thing I've learned about GT5 in a while now...

Great splits Lucas 👍

Will be trying the max/min tune tonight :)

Thanks, Jon, hope you got/get your time to try it out, I can't figure out why it was better, but it was! :dunce:

EDIT:
|
|
V
Very nice, Ren. 👍 T4 decides it then. :)

Last edited:
Well, I'm done, except for a spot of checking.

Something from the penultimate session to keep Fetchy interested:

T1 22.055
T2 20.590
T3 17.542

EDIT:
Very nice, Ren. 👍 T4 decides it then. :)

Sadly, it really would have. I must have taken the scenic route in T4 on that lap :irked:. Good luck!

I'm really pleased with my progress learning the track, and I actually managed to beat a lap I was gutted that was dirty (not the above one) with this. I've left .2 - .3 out there, but I can't complain I didn't get enough running in - just couldn't quite find the .0 (or under) T1s and other niftiness together again after figuring out some improvements for T4.

Checked and submitted:

T1 22.201
T2 20.635
T3 17.559

Almost forgot to thank Dom and Simon again for looking after us 👍

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back