GTP_WRS-Online : 2013 WRS World Cup Team Challenge - Aug 10

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 704 comments
At least I was consistently mid-pack for every stat in this event. :lol:

If/when there is another go at this style of event, is there a possibility we could go with a car that's more neutral with it's handling characteristics? Nothing against the ZR1, but without a tune, it handles like a pig.

I thought the stock tune fit Spa really well... not so much for Fuji, but the challenge was fun. Curious what others think?

I found the car responded to changes in BB pretty well. What did people use for BB and did they use a different setup for quali and race? For Fuji, I used 7/8 for quali and 6/4 to start the race, but I switched to 6/3 after short pitting. The F turn was terrible with 6/3, but otherwise it worked well. For Spa, I used 6/4 for both quali and race.

We've been waiting to use this car for a long time... since our first Spa enduro... nice to get it out there and finally put some serious miles on it.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. It was great at Spa. I felt I could push it much harder than I was able to at Fuji.

I ended up using 4/2 BB after experimenting with the entire range of adjustments. When I tried something like 5/6 or similar, I would lose the back of the car braking for the corner after 100R. In the USA team qualifying we ran, I used something like 10/9 BB. But through practices, I noticed that BB wasn't making much of a difference for me other than how quickly I managed to slow the car down.. and burn the tires off.

5/4 or 5/3 for Q and races. I heard a couple similar comments to Shawn's pig comment before the event, and I honestly respectfully disagree. I thought it was great at Fuji and a little better at Spa, but not quite as good as the GT3-spec Ford GT w/ Pekka's tune that I ran at Spa a couple weeks ago. Not really a fair comparison there, though. :sly:

Maybe it's my disdain for the new Fuji then. I couldn't follow closely at Fuji, but I could at Spa. T3 at Fuji was losing me over a half second. Many times in practice I would be up at T1, up at T2 and then be much worse at the line.

I started practicing with 6/4 but went to 6/5 by race day. Felt much better without the extra dive. My only issue with the stock setup was the massive on-throttle understeer at spa.

Anyone else have pictures to post? I'm going to pull a few tonight.

I've only heard a couple race reports... curious how the races went in the other rooms.

PS> Also... any stats or rankings people might be curious about... not guaranteeing I can produce them, but just ask and I'll try.

I captured my whole race with Loris and Jon. Enjoy

Highlights

Full Replay

I ran with 5/5 brake balance and loved to car at SPA. Meh at the other track (I hate any car at that track over 150HP).

I captured my whole race with Loris and Jon. Enjoy

WOW! :bowdown: Amazing driving all 3 of you, and great footage, Bart. :cheers:
Jon told me afterward about the great 3-way battles, but I'm glad you put it up...it deserves to be seen. :)

Nice highlights video Bart. I guess JTV got the most airtime this week. :lol: He didn't get much rest in those two races did he. :boggled:

Great drives to all three. My only disappointment with the event is screwing up on Lap 1 at Fuji so I couldn't stick around with DrAug and PASM for a few laps.

Unfortunately I don't have a VCD, but if anyone has a copy of the Round 2 (A) replay, and some spare time, I would appreciate a cut version of my battle with Dr Watson from the last couple of laps. 👍

I liked the car on both tracks. I use:
- @Fuji(quali/race); BB=7/5, abs=3, tcs=0
- @Spa; BB=7/5, abs=3, tcs=0

I liked the car on both tracks. I use:
- @Fuji(quali/race); BB=7/5, abs=3, tcs=0
- @Spa; BB=7/5, abs=3, tcs=0

I get so many different opinions (when I ask) on ABS the I end up just sticking with 1 most the time. Every once in a while I would snoop a very vast driver using 3 or 10 and just use it... but I don't usually notice that much different with individual laps.

I used 10 for a string of races earlier this year and then 1 for a string of races and my results really didn't differ by much, but there are too many factors to control so that doesn't mean anything. :dunce:

My understanding:

ABS High:
  • longer brake zone
  • more grip given to turning versus braking (easier to trail brake)
  • More tire wear? But maybe less than if you screw up your trail braking with Low ABS
ABS Low
  • shorter brake zone (can brake deaper)
  • harder to trail brake, requires a better touch and application of brake vs higher ABS
  • Less tire wear? But maybe more if you screw up your trail braking

To be clear, I don't really notice any of these... just what "others" tell me and they may be full of it. :lol:

Also differences in BB

Ratio: Obviously the ratio front to back changes handing. Forward bias to keep the back end from sliding (less oversteer), but gives more understeer. And those characteristics tend to apply even when not braking which is weird.

Levels: e.g. 6/8 vs 3/4. It's the same ratio, but different numbers. 6/8 provides more braking power, but also more tire wear? 3/4 is more forgiving on braking level? Is the handling any different from 3/4 to 6/8 though?

I've been playing this game for this long and still don't fully understand all that stuff... and that may be because it varies pending the car and obviously other tuning adjustments can change everything when it's not tuning prohibited.

AFAIK the only difference between 10 and 1 (if you're braking properly and not just holding it to the floor) is better front tire wear on 10 than 1. Any other number is psychosomatic. ;)

AFAIK the only difference between 10 and 1 (if you're braking properly and not just holding it to the floor) is better front tire wear on 10 than 1. Any other number is psychosomatic. ;)

That's my understanding as well... but I know Pekka loves ABS 3. And I will admit to using it when I use his tunes and he lists ABS 3. I defer to the expert tuners on ABS when matched with their tunes in case there is any handling impacts that might interact with the other tuning settings.

That's my understanding as well... but I know Pekka loves ABS 3. And I will admit to using it when I use his tunes and he lists ABS 3. I defer to the expert tuners on ABS when matched with their tunes in case there is any handling impacts that might interact with the other tuning settings.

You're giving gran turismo too much credit. :sly:

Award for Hard Chargers

The Hard Chargers are the drivers that gained the most positions per race and overall.

Of course this is also highly negatively correlated to qualification performance thus a double edged sword. :sly:

Hard Charger: GTP_DrWatson @ PURE NA (12 Total Positions Gained)
Fuji: GTP_DrWatson @ PURE NA (6 Positions Gained)
Spa: GTP_w-g-e @ Team Nederland (8 Positions Gained)​

All Drivers - Position Gained/Lost (ranked by overall delta):

WC2013_drivertotal_positiondeltas.png

Notes:
  • Interesting that a few drivers had no positions gained or lost in either race (Carracer, Chorda, MadMax).
  • Four of the six winners started on pole and the other two started on the front row.
  • The biggest jump to gain a podium was DZ @ Spa.
  • Poor R3cket had some bad luck from what I understand... didn't get to race you mate which is too bad! You had great pace, that I know!

Those poor guys on pole got nowhere to go but down. :sly:

EDIT: Or, um, win. :D

Next time I'll sandbag, just for this award :D
No, really, well done DrWatson 👍

Spa Winners Bracket Race Highlights -- Start and First Stint

Poor R3cket had some bad luck from what I understand... didn't get to race you mate which is too bad! You had great pace, that I know!

That stat is just so unfortunate it's untrue :D -16 places. A job well done mate! Haha, just kidding 👍

Are you signing up to be a competent team captain? If you saw this post you'd know that it's not likely to happen for another 3 years. ;)
Like maybe GT7 timeframe, when the 16-man lobby is like a floppy disk.
It's a lot of work.

But I'll agree it was hella fun. 👍

EDIT: I'm still spazzing out about DZ's drive in that Spa race. :crazy: Tim grabbed some outrageous footage of him, knocking on D1 drivers' doors and saying "S'cuse me, kthxbye now." :eek:

Last edited:
Back to ABS and BB.

My way of using ABS is:
-tire wear: low=more tire wear, high=less tire wear
-handling: 1-2 for more hard braking and short brake zone, 3-5 = for easier handeling corners & softer braking

BB:
-tire wear: 1-5 less tire wear , 5-10 more tire wear
-handling: if i want to trail braking i use more on front than back, also that way i get little oversteer
-if car is oversteering i use more back than front
-also car's drivetrain affect my BB. FF: more to back. FR: more to front. 4WD i might use 5/5

Longer races (endurance) i use bb & abs to even my tire wear to keep it even. I often change my setting during the race.

EDIT: I'm still spazzing out about DZ's drive in that Spa race. :crazy: Tim grabbed some outrageous footage of him, knocking on D1 drivers' doors and saying "S'cuse me, kthxbye now." :eek:

DZ... you need to run a few TT's to get your division and handicap where it should be... you "ain't no" D3 driver.

Given your results here, if we use handicap again in an online race, we'll at minimum have to assign you a D2-Silver handicap.

Back to ABS and BB. ...

Thanks Jammy... I'd say I pretty much follow that same line of thinking, but it's not because I know or tested, but because I've followed what others have told me. I have heard conflicting results on tire wear. Some say higher ABS can actually hurt tire wear... maybe it's a case of fronts do better with high ABS, but for some reason the rears do worse? Not sure, but I get different opinions from different people on that one.

DZ... you need to run a few TT's to get your division and handicap where it should be... you "ain't no" D3 driver.

Given your results here, if we use handicap again in an online race, we'll at minimum have to assign you a D2-Silver handicap.

So you want me to re-run the time trial? I think the reason why I didn't do so well on the time trial is that the ring is one of my worst tracks :lol:

So you want me to re-run the time trial? I think the reason why I didn't do so well on the time trial is that the ring is one of my worst tracks :lol:

No, and in fact, that's not allowed. I want you to compete in a few of our regular time trials... that's the only valid way to reduce your handicap once you run the original qualifier.

For example: GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 130 : Corvette Tribute

Really, just teasing you and GT6 is around the corner... and you and everyone else will have to rerun the qualifier for GT6 anyway... but if you run a few of the weekly TT's and you outperform your handicap you will lower your handicap in the meantime... plus you will have a leg up on practice for the weekly online races which use the same combo as the TT. You aren't required of course... but we do maybe need to account for your handicap not being exactly accurate for future online events that use handicap... I'm not saying you are a D1 driver, but D2-Silver would be a proper estimate I think (same as me).

Back