GTP_WRS-Online Event 10: Gazoo Samba

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 138 comments
As long as you turn the wheel on first and then the DS4 you should be ok. Try to make a room and practice with tires and fuel at 10x. Pit strategy and shift points are fairly important in this combo. With 4 pit stops you don't really need to save fuel (except the formation lap), for three stopper you will need to use fuel maps 2-4.

...until we both caught turnup and then you just seemed to go off track...
I couldn't figure out what turnup was up to and I wanted to leave him room for the next turn (turn 8 I think) so I hugged the inside and downshifted to 2nd and when I hit the gas, I lost the back end...I almost caught it but I ended up in the grass. :embarrassed:

Maybe the wheel has to be connected before the DS4? My headset is wired as well. The few times I have used it for sound with my wheel I had to be careful. If the sticks get bumped on the DS4 it will mess you up.
I think you are on to something here...I might have bumped the sticks on the DS4. Thanks for the tip! 👍

The NA race later will be my first experience in a lobby, and I have a similar setup (G29 plus headset in DS4) hopefully this was just a one time thing, or the other participants will be robbed of my incomprehensible kiwi-isms.
Let me know how it goes for you later...I might stop in an spectate for a bit before I go to bed. :)

As long as you turn the wheel on first and then the DS4 you should be ok.
I left the room and re-booted the PS4 and entered the room using my wheel as the input...turned on the DS4 attached my headphones/mic to the DS4 input and the wheel went dead. Maybe I hit the sticks by mistake again...:confused:

For some reason I thought it was 24+1 not 25+1 so I pitted a lap too early and had to save extra fuel on my next stint:ouch:. Good race and win @Spurgy 777

Yeah, that was fun yesterday :)

I had a quite uneventful race, most of the time I was running alone with 5sec to the guy in front and 5sec to the one in the back.

There was one funny moment right after the 1st pitstop when @Argon passed me, although he was 5sec behind me a couple of laps before. I thought "How the f... is he so fast..." Then I figured out he was on a 4-stop-strategy, but still that must have been a blazing lap.

I miscalculated my strategy by 1 lap at the end and had to really slow down in the last 2 laps to make it. @Speedy6543 caught me then and I didn't have enough fuel to be able to defend, too bad might have been on the podium ;)
I crossed the line with 2% fuel left :embarrassed:

I liked it a lot and I'm gonna try and join more of those races. Thanks to the OLR staff for organising! :cheers:

... There was one funny moment right after the 1st pitstop when @Argon passed me, although he was 5sec behind me a couple of laps before. I thought "How the f... is he so fast..." Then I figured out he was on a 4-stop-strategy, but still that must have been a blazing lap.

:lol: Think that was my fastest lap but it didn't do me any good. I was surprised at how much I had caught you
and quickly decided we were on different strat's and my glory was going to end very quickly. It was the best race yet for me and having a pretty full start grid was great to see and makes the races so much more engaging. 👍

Last edited:
:lol: Think that was my fastest lap but it didn't so me any good. I was surprised at how much I had caught you
and quickly decided we were on different strat's and my glory was going to end very quickly. It was the best race yet for me and having a pretty full start grid was great to see and makes the races so much more engaging. 👍

Same for me. I was really proud of myself as I haven't made one single mistake. All nice and clean :)

My race went pretty solid. Qualified 3rd. Tried to stay in touch as much as possible with the top guys. I could even play with fuel map 2 a bit to make sure I made it to the pits 5+1 laps in. @Meister Fetz was able to overtake me in the first stint but he ran out of fuel coming out of the last turn towards the first needed pitstop. This gave me enough advantage on him for the entire race (lucky for me). From then on I could pretty much run TT laps on map 1. In the last stint I noticed I was catching up big time to @Espial but still was unsure if I could make it before the finish so I really pushed. Un fortunately for him he really needed to save on fuel so I overtook him quite easily. Ran out of fuel about 10m before the finishline.
Congrats to @Spurgy 777 on the win and to everyone for the nice and clean race. :gtpflag:

It took a lot of time to wipe the smile off my face :) !

Loved it, finding the room was something I didn't think about, was searching public rooms. After checking the forum I arrived just in time. Race was pretty cool to do, a bit quiet and lonely now and then, but got in a groove and did consistant laps.

Every now and then a little bit of action (attacking or defending) and learning by watching faster guys (so everyone) their lines and braking points.

it was cool! Love to do more of these races, and pretty happy with the result thusfar! Thanks guys for setting this up!

I couldn't figure out what turnup was up to and I wanted to leave him room for the next turn (turn 8 I think) so I hugged the inside and downshifted to 2nd and when I hit the gas, I lost the back end...I almost caught it but I ended up in the grass. :embarrassed:

Ha, I couldn't quite figure out what I was doing myself! I was on fuel save mode when you guys approached me side by side so I was trying to just hold a wide line to let you both pass on the inside but sorry if I caused confusion.

I was aiming for a 3 stopper but without any practice I hadn't tied down a workable strategy and was sorta making it up as I went along. I came to the conclusion I'm more of a sprinter than a strategist and I would have been more competitive with a relatively hammer down 4 stopper instead. To top it off, I had to pull over for a couple of laps to deal with an emergency call from my wife when she was hit by a severe cramp in her leg after going for a run on her new fitness regime! :lol:

I am glad I joined the NA race last night, really enjoyed it! I probably will not be able to run the NA races often due to my work schedule.

I tried to work out a decent strategy in practice. Thought I had a good game plan. Failed to get a good qualifying lap tho. I used map 1 the whole race and short shifted. I had to stop 4 times. The last one I stopped 2 laps after my 3rd. I thought it would be the quickest way. It somewhat worked, I finished 4th. The guys up front had the right strategy tho. They pulled away after the 2nd stop.

Great event @Gravitron! Hopefully I can at least get into some of the EU races. Maybe a WW here and there.

Ha, I couldn't quite figure out what I was doing myself! I was on fuel save mode when you guys approached me side by side so I was trying to just hold a wide line to let you both pass on the inside but sorry if I caused confusion.

I was aiming for a 3 stopper but without any practice I hadn't tied down a workable strategy and was sorta making it up as I went along. I came to the conclusion I'm more of a sprinter than a strategist and I would have been more competitive with a relatively hammer down 4 stopper instead. To top it off, I had to pull over for a couple of laps to deal with an emergency call from my wife when she was hit by a severe cramp in her leg after going for a run on her new fitness regime! :lol:

I did wonder what had happened to you but you did a great job of staying out of the way for me and distracting @Bass Addict well enough to let me by him too, I owe ya :cheers: Your experience sounds similar to mine for the WW race. I got it completely wrong and was all over the place having to splash and dash one or two laps from the end which cost me.

@BigDawg_1281 come to the WW and EU races we have beer and Pit girls :lol:

Last edited:
I did wonder what had happened to you but you did a great job of staying out of the way for me and distracting @Bassaddition well enough to let me by him too, I owe ya :cheers: Your experience sounds similar to mine for the WW race. I got it completely wrong and was all over the place having to splash and dash one or two laps from the end which cost me.

@BigDawg_1281 come to the WW and EU races we have beer and Pit girls :lol:

Hmmm pit girls :drool:... and beer :cheers:.

I will definitely make it to some EU races. The WWs will be a little tricky for me. I am going to try to get to this week's tho. This track will be tricky tho :nervous:

No worries mate...I am a complete novice at OLR and I didn't want to block or impede your progress. I thought you ran a bit wide and didn't equate you were giving me room to pass! :embarrassed: For a brief second, I had a flashback to several past Sport races where my fellow racer would dive back and punt me off the track! All of you are brilliant racers and in the future, I will be more settled in traffic. 👍

...come to the WW and EU races we have beer and Pit girls :lol:
Umm...where were the pit girls? the free beer? Man, I have to get my mic working! :lol::lol:

I did have one question...I use a TM 300 wheel and I have a DS4 controller active as well. I had my headset with mic plugged into the DS4 for sound and chat and that worked great but my wheel was dead. I tried a complete re-boot of the PS4 and entered the room through the wheel but as soon as I plugged in my headset to the DS4, the wheel went dead. Any suggestions?

:cheers:
What headset do you use?
I just plugged the one-ear-mic that came with the PS4 into the DS4 and everything worked as it should, wheel and mic.

For some reason I thought it was 24+1 not 25+1 so I pitted a lap too early and had to save extra fuel on my next stint:ouch:. Good race and win @Spurgy 777

My race went pretty solid. Qualified 3rd. Tried to stay in touch as much as possible with the top guys. I could even play with fuel map 2 a bit to make sure I made it to the pits 5+1 laps in. @Meister Fetz was able to overtake me in the first stint but he ran out of fuel coming out of the last turn towards the first needed pitstop. This gave me enough advantage on him for the entire race (lucky for me). From then on I could pretty much run TT laps on map 1. In the last stint I noticed I was catching up big time to @Espial but still was unsure if I could make it before the finish so I really pushed. Un fortunately for him he really needed to save on fuel so I overtook him quite easily. Ran out of fuel about 10m before the finishline.
Congrats to @Spurgy 777 on the win and to everyone for the nice and clean race. :gtpflag:

Thanks! Was a close race @Mini Stiggy, definitely need to figure out how to fuel save without losing too much time, also tested doing 2 stints with a set of tyres for the 2nd and 3rd stints to save time in the pitstop and I really don't think it worked, but I haven't checked yet. :lol:

What headset do you use?
I just plugged the one-ear-mic that came with the PS4 into the DS4 and everything worked as it should, wheel and mic.
My Ps4 came with a mic? I never played online until this game so didn't need it. I still have the box in the closest, maybe I will go see if I still have it, that would make me more interested in running with you guys if I have a mic.

My Ps4 came with a mic? I never played online until this game so didn't need it. I still have the box in the closest, maybe I will go see if I still have it, that would make me more interested in running with you guys if I have a mic.
It looks like this.
s-l300.jpg

I ran a 3 stopper in the NA race and managed to run out of fuel 4 times! That’s gotta be some kind of record.
I was off doing a C race at Monza but was still listening in the chat. Mike it was so funny when time after time with “expletive deleted” I’m not going to make it!!!! ...in a tone of OOPS not DAMN..came over the chat ....No matter how bad it gets you NEVER lose your cool... that’s why its so much fun to race with you....unlike others who rant and rave...myself included. GOODONYA....for your control.... NOT your fuel ⛽️ strategy!!!! lmao

What headset do you use?
I use a Kingtop PS4 Gaming Headset with microphone and it plugs into my DS4...this was super cheap during Black Friday so I could it test it out and see if I liked it for racing. Thanks for the suggestion about trying the mic that came with the PS4 as a test...👍 Also, I had the DS4 plugged into a USB port extender for this lobby if that would make any difference??

@Argon gave me a suggestion for a headset/mic...anyone else have any suggestions?

After Running out of fuel in the WW race to @Iceman who was behind me and had the right strategy in mind. The NA race had a really good show up with competition all over the grid! It was quite a lot of fun! 👍

Was on map 3 for most of the NA race to reel in a victory over some very tough competition including @mcsqueegy and @Mini Stiggy. The pits factor made it very interesting towards the end of the race.

Lots of fun as always here at the WRS! Looking forward to next week's set of online races!! See you guys there :cheers:

I use a Kingtop PS4 Gaming Headset with microphone and it plugs into my DS4...this was super cheap during Black Friday so I could it test it out and see if I liked it for racing. Thanks for the suggestion about trying the mic that came with the PS4 as a test...👍 Also, I had the DS4 plugged into a USB port extender for this lobby if that would make any difference??

@Argon gave me a suggestion for a headset/mic...anyone else have any suggestions?

I have a HyperX cloud headset. I was using a DS4 to plug it in. Just realized yesterday that it has a USB connector too. It added nearly 10 feet to the cord. Now I can just plug it into my PS4.

Some of the port extenders are a bit "iffy" can you try and run your wheel and DS4 from the two PS4 ports direct and see if that makes any difference?

Thanks Guys! :)

Okay, I have a vertical stand with fans for the PS4 as I have it wall mounted above my TV and that takes one USB port but it has three USB extenders along with two dedicated DS4 charging stations built into the stand base. I have my TM wheel in the other port.

I will disconnect my vertical stand's fans and use that port for the DS4 direct to the PS4 as a test. How long will a fully charged DS4 last...will it make it through the race? If it will, then I can leave it ON and not hooked up direct to the PS4.

Back