GTP_WRS-Online Event 24 : The Alpines' Alpine - July 9

I feel sorry for Kevin. I was nervous as this was only my second online race. That made me run very inconsistent lines. Every lap was unique and unpredictable. I have no idea how you managed to touch my car only twice (and both were just tiny bumps).

Edit: Did you intentionaly let me retake the lead at the end of lap 32? Because I don't think you bumped me in the highspeed S. I tried to give you some room but the real reason I ran wide was my tires starting to wear out.

Last edited:
Edit: Did you intentionaly let me retake the lead at the end of lap 32? Because I don't think you bumped me in the highspeed S. I tried to give you some room but the real reason I ran wide was my tires starting to wear out.
No, I was on an altered line into the last turn, causing me to miss my braking point, while caused me to launch into the dirt at the back. Unlucky.

You should feel proud, you ran consistent times and made very few errors, no big errors. Nice win. 👍

I messed up my quali by putting the car in the dirt at the end of the first lap, bascially negating the times of my first 2 laps, and leaving it for a do or die 3rd lap, with blue lines everywhere. If I had it to do over again, I would have waited for 20 seconds or so before taking off again from the dirt, so I could at least have run without the blue lines on the last lap.

EDK
No, I was on an altered line into the last turn, causing me to miss my braking point, while caused me to launch into the dirt at the back. Unlucky.

You should feel proud, you ran consistent times and made very few errors, no big errors. Nice win. 👍

I messed up my quali by putting the car in the dirt at the end of the first lap, bascially negating the times of my first 2 laps, and leaving it for a do or die 3rd lap, with blue lines everywhere. If I had it to do over again, I would have waited for 20 seconds or so before taking off again from the dirt, so I could at least have run without the blue lines on the last lap.
Since the last update you can press up on the D-Pad(assuming your wheel has one) to turn off those pesky blue lines :D.

Yeah, I turned the lines off. Didn't know it used to be a problem before 1.09 :)
I was surprised that my poor lap was enough to get pole 1'21.0xx.
I had no idea how to do the first lap as I have never done rolling start. I just remembered you said something about 60kph and final corner.
Did I do it right?

Since the last update you can press up on the D-Pad(assuming your wheel has one) to turn off those pesky blue lines :D.
Arrgh. Had no idea, so like the ghost off in any other scenario.

Great race guys! You can tell I came to the race with no practice other than the TT which I din't put much time into either! Still, anytime behind the wheel virtual or real is always time well spent!!!! Congrats Mike on your first win!!!!

Al

EDK
Arrgh. Had no idea, so like the ghost off in any other scenario.

Yes, you must be unlucky as pretty much every online race I've done lately the host mentions that before we start qualifying. You can also choose ghost mode in time trials now to be the traditional style transparent car or the new squiggly blue line.

Yeah, I turned the lines off. Didn't know it used to be a problem before 1.09 :)
I was surprised that my poor lap was enough to get pole 1'21.0xx.
I had no idea how to do the first lap as I have never done rolling start. I just remembered you said something about 60kph and final corner.
Did I do it right?

The most important thing is to keep the speed consistent towards the end of the lap as variations get exaggerated toward the back of the field and either being on the brakes to avoid hitting the guy in front of you or five car lengths behind because they accelerated away from you doesn't make for a good start. I think you were fine though, started at at more like 60mph but then got it together at the end.

Not that surprising that you got pole as only three people went under 1:21 and you were one (Pekka and Kevin were the other two). I did a best lap of 1:21.057 and I think Drew did 1:21.060. I was relieved that Kevin made third in qualifying at the end because I wasn't looking forward to trying to hold him behind me for 36 laps :) Of course I ended up doing that to Pekka which made for quite a nail biting race and he very nearly did it on the final corner but couldn't hold it and hit the fence. There were a few times where we were side by side in a sprint for the next corner but overall kudos to him for having the patience to not just push me out of the way and get past.

I was relieved that Kevin made third in qualifying at the end because I wasn't looking forward to trying to hold him behind me for 36 laps.

Yeah, that was tough. I don't have very good nerves. I get nervous during time trials when I pass my own ghost :)
I sweated through my shirt before the formation lap was over.
He managed to pass me on lap 32 as my tires started to wear out and I ran wide in the highspeed S. I think he was so used to seeing the big orange brake marker that he missed the very next turn :)

Yeah, that was tough. I don't have very good nerves. I get nervous during time trials when I pass my own ghost :)
I sweated through my shirt before the formation lap was over.
He managed to pass me on lap 32 as my tires started to wear out and I ran wide in the highspeed S. I think he was so used to seeing the big orange brake marker that he missed the very next turn :)
When we do a rolling start we can accelerate when the man ahead of you takes the start (accelerates) but what if he did not. We had the typical slinky in the back and there were three or four cars we playing ....after you ...no after you...have we started yet... And I decided to not pass them...but got someone anyway. It is always going to be a judgement call but how about trying this : take your normal pace lap because it gets everyones nerves settled...scrunched around in their seats ( or cardboard boxes :lol:) Then stop on the grid and do a time start on elapsed time called by the host or the leader. I've done it in a couple of races and it works great...or even do the F1 start.

Al I didn't know if I had cut you off in the first zig zag so I pulled over to let you by...ended up last...but you kindly let me by (lol)...and I ended up in a race long chase of Roamer....slowly got him in sight...then he pushed it back up. The pressure from Jon was constant with the two of us trading "oops" moments.
great pick guys...my favorite so far....quite a string of good picks. :cheers:

Al I didn't know if I had cut you off in the first zig zag so I pulled over to let you by...ended up last...but you kindly let me by (lol)...and I ended up in a race long chase of Roamer....slowly got him in sight...then he pushed it back up. The pressure from Jon was constant with the two of us trading "oops" moments.
great pick guys...my favorite so far....quite a string of good picks. :cheers:

I was so afraid after hitting Al in Silverstone that when I saw your clockwork orange right by my side on the first turn, all I could think of was "Don't hit him for the love of peat" so I took the wide line and went on the chase. I'm not good enough for a comment like this but the long right before the tunnel was where I could make a difference, I overtook there (tight between the wall and your car wasn't it?) after you dipped the left wheel on the dirt. I really have to learn overtaking human beings. I found it hard with the DS3 to adjust speed slightly so as not to hit the car on front of me or loosing to much speed. Will keep learning...
Kevin, kudos: I really thought it was going to be almost impossible to race at Eiger, I was so, so wrong...

I was so afraid after hitting Al in Silverstone that when I saw your clockwork orange right by my side on the first turn, all I could think of was "Don't hit him for the love of peat" so I took the wide line and went on the chase. I'm not good enough for a comment like this but the long right before the tunnel was where I could make a difference, I overtook there (tight between the wall and your car wasn't it?) after you dipped the left wheel on the dirt. I really have to learn overtaking human beings. I found it hard with the DS3 to adjust speed slightly so as not to hit the car on front of me or loosing to much speed. Will keep learning...
Kevin, kudos: I really thought it was going to be almost impossible to race at Eiger, I was so, so wrong...
My problem (the one on this track....) was the long hairpin before the tunnel. I took it close..i took it wide...I took it damn near sideways....I tried everything....stilly :censored:Y.
Your pass was fine...that was my fastest line but I clipped the dirt ...bounced off the wall and ricocheted off the far wall....good grief.... I REALLY NEED WHEEL TO WHEEL EXPERIENCE. Great fun . 👍

How did the EU race go? I know Kevin won but were there some good battles?
Don't know about the others but I spent 34 of the 38 laps no more than 1.1 seconds behind Kev :D, unfortunately I then clipped the wall spun 360deg and lost 5 seconds :lol:.

What lap times did you run? I ran between 1'21.0 and 1'21.3 most of the time with few faster and few slower laps. The fastest was 1.20.711
Kevin was at least half of a second faster but couldn't get by the unpredictable road block :)

I think Jon was fastest in EU with a 1:20.6xx, my fast might have been a 1:20.7xx, or a slightly slower .6. My fast in NA was a 1:20.4xx, always faster with something to chase. :sly:

Pretty much the same lap times, fastest for myself was a 1'20.658(Kev yours was a 1'20.661);).

I was slowest (best lap about 1.8 s on top of my TT lap), used more of the tyres than anyone else and used about as much fuel as the winner as well. Instead of the usual couple of big mistakes I had one gargantuan blunder right at the beginning. :ill:

Actually, I ran a 1:20.3xx in warmups, not sure if anyone noticed that. :sly:

Those really fast laps were always when the car started to get light on fuel but the tires were still in decent shape (9's on all 4 corners, I think).

Main thing is the light weight allowed for a really fast run from the hairpin before T2 until the end of the lap. My best T1's were always earlier in the race/lap progression.

Yeah, I noticed the 1'20.3 before the qualification started. That's when I knew it was going to be tough to stay ahead of you.

Reactions: EDK
Thank you for not penalizing me. I am new to WRS online and really didn't expect to get the pole after seeing Kevin run in practice.
The confusion came from reading instructions for the qualification part where it said start at the final corner :dunce:.

Thank you for not penalizing me. I am new to WRS online and really didn't expect to get the pole after seeing Kevin run in practice.
The confusion came from reading instructions for the qualification part where it said start at the final corner :dunce:.
Was fun trying to reel you in for those first 10 laps, you had 3.5 seconds on me from the start. You had genuinely strong pace, and your race was only 3.6 seconds slower than my EU time that was run in the lead start to finish. Of course, add another 3.5 seconds or so to that for the jumped start. :sly: But still, some very good pace. I think I had a bit more for the 10 laps or so when the car was at that optimum point of light with good tires, and then again toward the end, when the tires started to go. But at other times, we were running almost the same exact pace, and I was pushing almost the whole way just to stay up with you or re-catch you after small errors.

Great win. 👍

Back