GTP_WRS-Online : Networking Tips & Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 83 comments
Anybody else unable to sign into PSN? Looks like it's not just me. link

This happens to me all of the time. In fact, it did happen to me today. Usually once I do the ole "turn it off then on again" thing it fixes itself. That is what I did this time and it is fine now.

This happens to me all of the time. In fact, it did happen to me today. Usually once I do the ole "turn it off then on again" thing it fixes itself. That is what I did this time and it is fine now.

Darn I was afraid of that. I've tried the on off thing a number of times and I'm running out of ideas.

Edit: 8th time is a charm....

....or maybe I spoke too soon.

Last edited:
Darn I was afraid of that. I've tried the on off thing a number of times and I'm running out of ideas.

Edit: 8th time is a charm....

....or maybe I spoke too soon.

Incredible as it may seem this far into the 21st century, turn on/off still does the trick sometimes. Companies rather have you beta test a product once they have already sold it to you, than do the testing themselves :mad:

Incredible as it may seem this far into the 21st century, turn on/off still does the trick sometimes. Companies rather have you beta test a product once they have already sold it to you, than do the testing themselves :mad:

Unfortunately for me turning it on and off is about my only trick (well that and clearing network cache), and i've lost track of how many times I've played this trick. PS Network has updated the status to "online" and now says

"We are aware that some users are experiencing difficulty enjoying the PSN. We have confirmed the PSN is stable. If you are having trouble, we encourage you to contact your internet service provider."

I think that's company-speak for "we have a problem we can't fix and you're screwed".

I was able to sign in for a little bit yesterday, and today the problem seems to have morphed - i've gone from not being able to sign in to being able to sign in before immediately being kicked out. That's a little progress, I guess.

:banghead:

PS Network has updated the status to "online" and now says

"We are aware that some users are experiencing difficulty enjoying the PSN. We have confirmed the PSN is stable. If you are having trouble, we encourage you to contact your internet service provider."

I think that's company-speak for "we have a problem we can't fix and you're screwed".

Whoops...my apologies to PS Network. Looks like there's a Time Warner internet glitch - link.

Problem solved on my end, back to sliding around the mini ring.

Got disconected about 2 min. left to EU race at Tsukuba with strange massage "you have been disconected from server due to network incompatibility with room owner". Could't rejoin after that to comunity, but could enter online loby. My PS3 was conected by wi-fi, now I conected it via cable
Should I do some router setting for better performence? Heard something about port forvarding or something, but I am not good at that. If I sould do some settings, maybe somebody could help? I use Linksys EA6700 router, which could be set via internet.

Got disconected about 2 min. left to EU race at Tsukuba with strange massage "you have been disconected from server due to network incompatibility with room owner". Could't rejoin after that to comunity, but could enter online loby. My PS3 was conected by wi-fi, now I conected it via cable
Should I do some router setting for better performence? Heard something about port forvarding or something, but I am not good at that. If I sould do some settings, maybe somebody could help? I use Linksys EA6700 router, which could be set via internet.

There's a lot of useful information on the first page of this thread. I think if you search for the manual for your router that you can manage to set things up pretty well.

@Napalm_LT

As @PASM said you should start out by reading through the OP. The one suggestion I would give, start with the easy stuff like cleaning the cache and then see if you still have problems before going deeper.

When doing the internet speed test (PS3) what NAT do you have 2 or 3. As I recall NAT3 will cause big problems and or not work at all.

If you have NAT2 but still have problems you should find your solution in the OP.

If you have NAT 3 issues there is good info on one of the playstation forums, just do an internet search.

I am not by any measure good at this, just sharing my personal experiences incase they can help you.

I've read this thread, also look at routers manual, but I don't know haw to do the settings. For example: I must set TCP and UDP ports, but my router setings are diferent. There are internal and external ports (what I must do with them), and there arent TCP or UDP ports to enter, I can choose Protocol - TCP, UDP or BOTH ...
About my internet - speed about 60-80 Mb/s, Ping 2-11 (its by wi-fi) NAT2 type I think (I am away at the moment)
As I sad, I am not good in these things. If someone could help, it would be nice. My router is accessable via internet (linksyssmartwifi.com). I could send user name and password by PM to conect to the router and all settings can be done via internet.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 55
@Napalm_LT have you tested your ability to race online since cleaning your cache?

What is the result of your internet speed test?

I'm not for sure what you are asking help for is the solution to your problem. You need to eliminate the basic things first. IMO...

My internet speed test:
Download 69 Mb/s
Upload 66 Mb/s
NAT - Type2

I asked for help to configure these specific router settings for PS3, because my router shows diferent settings than GT6 manual. Nevermind, I am going to try wednesday race with basic router settings.

@Napalm_LT You could try and test your online before the race on Wed by doing a few quick match races, opening a online room of your own or joining a pubic room.

Is this the first time you have tried to race online or has it worked before but giving you problems now?

If it has worked in the past make sure you clear you cache in the Start Menu/ Options/ Network/ Clear System Cache.

If you are still unable to race online you should try and follow the steps in the OP for addressing router issues. Before doing that it may be a good idea to test with a direct wired connection with PS3. If you can't race online with a direct wired connection I doubt the issue is in your router.

Replaced my router, and I can't get the PS3 to work with it. Console software speaks of DNS but I'm not too sure, because a webpage that is accessible by IP alone didn't load in the PS3 browser. Of course it can be the console won't connect anywhere without DNS, but other devices have no problems with the same name servers.

For some reason the gateway isn't accepted! I even tried changing it to a more common quad.

Last edited:
So finally moved house, wifi has been fine, 35mb download speed when tested. Netflix/amazon prime streaming no problem, youtube fine 720p, get round to setting the ps4 up, 800kps download? Which has now gone to the point of not managing to connect before timing out.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before? All other devices have no issues but the PS4 super slow?

Ordered an ethernet to see if hardwiring to the router will help but other than that no idea what the problem could be... any advice welcome :lol:

So finally moved house, wifi has been fine, 35mb download speed when tested. Netflix/amazon prime streaming no problem, youtube fine 720p, get round to setting the ps4 up, 800kps download? Which has now gone to the point of not managing to connect before timing out.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before? All other devices have no issues but the PS4 super slow?

Ordered an ethernet to see if hardwiring to the router will help but other than that no idea what the problem could be... any advice welcome :lol:
What generation PS4 do you have? Mine is from the first model year and I find the wifi bad. Sometimes I can not voice chat properly while not even 4 meters from the router.

Hardwired will definitely improve your experience.

What generation PS4 do you have? Mine is from the first model year and I find the wifi bad. Sometimes I can not voice chat properly while not even 4 meters from the router.

Hardwired will definitely improve your experience.

That's interesting to know, thanks @PASM!.

Its a PS4 slim 1TB, never had any issues with connection in our old house, so that would make me think its something not related to the PS4, but then it's so strange that every other device is connecting with no issues, which makes is look like it must be the PS4?

That's interesting to know, thanks @PASM!.

Its a PS4 slim 1TB, never had any issues with connection in our old house, so that would make me think its something not related to the PS4, but then it's so strange that every other device is connecting with no issues, which makes is look like it must be the PS4?
Have you changed network hardware? New router? If so it could be some settings in there that need fiddling with? Checking Upnp etc is always a good place to start.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :cheers:

I have no idea why but it now magically works fine :lol: I didn't even restart it it just suddenly connected!

Hopefully it was just some strange issue because of the move and from now on it will work fine :)

I have no idea why but it now magically works fine :lol: I didn't even restart it it just suddenly connected!

Hopefully it was just some strange issue because of the move and from now on it will work fine :)
We would still STRONGLY encourage you to switch to the wire when it arrives. If it were up to me it would be a requirement for online racing. We've just seen too many instances over GT5/6/Sport where switching from wireless to wired makes the experience better and more predictable.

Do you have a microwave next to the PS4? :lol::lol::lol:

Great that it works now.

We would still STRONGLY encourage you to switch to the wire when it arrives. If it were up to me it would be a requirement for online racing. We've just seen too many instances over GT5/6/Sport where switching from wireless to wired makes the experience better and more predictable.

Thanks @Gravitron I will 👍 The speeds were actually good once it started working, but as you reccomended the ethernet can only help, and plus its nice piece of mind.

Do you have a microwave next to the PS4? :lol::lol::lol:

Great that it works now.

:lol: Not that i was aware of anyway! I think maybe it was just homesick :lol:

Back