WRP001

GTP Race Admin
Staff Emeritus
United States
California
GTP_WRP001
full

54c6070924d65a7dd08d3255f928a2be_photo.jpg

We welcome any and all suggestions you may have for our regular weekly online events or special online events. Post your ideas here in this thread and the OLR Admin Staff will consider your suggestions.

UPDATE:

We're always looking for good ideas of cars to run with tuning prohibited! Keep in mind they should be good matches to the track and take into account:
  • Transmission match to track (e.g. shouldn't hit limiter or get too bogged down)
  • Passing Difficulty (don't want a complete draft/pass fest, but also don't want it to be impossible to pass)
  • Strategy (pits, tire wear, etc. add to the event)
Note: the only option available with "Tuning Prohibited" are adjustments to the power limiter (which can mitigate some limiter issues) and of course the R/A functions.

If the cars come in several liveries (e.g. NS X-Men or Trophy Cup) or can be painted (e.g. Snake) it's a plus. If they are standard models they must be tradeable so they can be distributed on fairly short notice.

As we've said before we're not really interested in "homologization", especially on short notice for a replacement weekly event, so it's either a one make or the cars come out exactly (and obviously) even right out of the box (e.g. NS X-Men).

If anyone has combo ideas that fit the framework post them to this thread. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I had something in mind to make the races a bit more interesting (not that they aren't :lol:).

Since the new update (2.02), tire wear modelling has improved, i.e., softs wear quicker than hards. So for a few select events, especially ones where passing may seem difficult, mandating the use of two different tire compounds in the race should give the drivers a bit more to think about in terms of strategy, making for better races.

Just my two cents 👍

I had something in mind to make the races a bit more interesting (not that they aren't :lol:).

Since the new update (2.02), tire wear modelling has improved, i.e., softs wear quicker than hards. So for a few select events, especially ones where passing may seem difficult, mandating the use of two different tire compounds in the race should give the drivers a bit more to think about in terms of strategy, making for better races.

Just my two cents 👍

You need to stop playing Psychic :D
We were thinking about this as well, and may just switch things up a bit very soon to give it a shot.

The extra 'drama' that different tire compounds, and pit strategies could add to the events would be very interesting indeed.

TrialMountainCircuit_25.jpg

Put some jack stands or something under that Peugeot before somebody loses a toe!

:P

How about a "combined time" event?
Example: 2 races, both 20 laps, second race is reverse finishing order of first race, add total race times together for everyone for overall standings?

CSLACR
Put some jack stands or something under that Peugeot before somebody loses a toe!

:P

How about a "combined time" event?
Example: 2 races, both 20 laps, second race is reverse finishing order of first race, add total race times together for everyone for overall standings?

We should have used that instead of points last week for the Hyper Dan event.

Marc put total times in the results... Speedy would have won. :sly:

You would then need a max out time for people that do not finish or get disconnected or you will have to disqualify them from the result's.

You would then need a max out time for people that do not finish or get disconnected or you will have to disqualify them from the result's.

Good Point.

And it couldn't be the worst time from the remaining drivers in the heat either as the last driver would be "incentivised" to "DC" before the last lap. And then the next last driver and the next until only the lead car remains. :lol:

Good Point.

And it couldn't be the worst time from the remaining drivers in the heat either as the last driver would be "incentivised" to "DC" before the last lap. And then the next last driver and the next until only the lead car remains. :lol:
I would imagine you set the race length so there's no real reason to not be able to finish.
I know we have great speed difference at times, but if we're doing 2 races in 1 hour, I like to think everyone can finish within 3 minutes of the lead car in a 25 minute race.

TBH if somebody is finishing that far behind they have no shot at winning the combined time challenge anyway, so giving someone a DNF for it really shouldn't be a big deal I don't think.

I think a 500pp race would be nice. Race cars only. Maybe even a certain time period b

I have a suggestion concerning the race finish delay. Instead of having it at maximum all the time, it could be set to, say, 110% of a reference lap time (the best quali lap or an average of all quali laps, for example). This would be a way of approximately simulating what happens in real life races (in F1, at least, not sure about other types of races).

The main reason I'm suggesting this, is that lapped drivers (of which I am too often a part of) have to keep racing even after crossing the finish line after the winner of the race did, if they don't want to lose their current position. That in itself would not be so bad if we didn't have to fight our way through very slow moving cars, i.e., cars that have finished racing and that are then controlled by the CPU.

Another way of handling the problem, as suggested by Tim, would be to add a lap or two to the official number of laps so that drivers on the leader's lap could then move over after their race was finished to let others race. I have nothing against that idea, but it might be a bit complicated afterwards to get the actual finishing order and accurate times for each driver.

Anyway, I would just like to know what everybody thinks about this -- needless to say, if you're a D1 or D2 driver, your opinion might not weigh as much as others :P

Edit: maybe you know how other series handle this, that would be cool of you to share.

I have a suggestion concerning the race finish delay. Instead of having it at maximum all the time, it could be set to, say, 110% of a reference lap time (the best quali lap or an average of all quali laps, for example). This would be a way of approximately simulating what happens in real life races (in F1, at least, not sure about other types of races).

The main reason I'm suggesting this, is that lapped drivers (of which I am too often a part of) have to keep racing even after crossing the finish line after the winner of the race did, if they don't want to lose their current position. That in itself would not be so bad if we didn't have to fight our way through very slow moving cars, i.e., cars that have finished racing and that are then controlled by the CPU.

Another way of handling the problem, as suggested by Tim, would be to add a lap or two to the official number of laps so that drivers on the leader's lap could then move over after their race was finished to let others race. I have nothing against that idea, but it might be a bit complicated afterwards to get the actual finishing order and accurate times for each driver.

Anyway, I would just like to know what everybody thinks about this -- needless to say, if you're a D1 or D2 driver, your opinion might not weigh as much as others :P

Edit: maybe you know how other series handle this, that would be cool of you to share.

I am interested in the response and I think it's a good idea. We can't necessarily change the setting once we start quali so we can't base it on quali laps unless we run some "pre-quali" format in any given week, but we can come up with some rule based on an estimate after Tuesday's practice.

I know that some people make it a goal to "finish" the races and by that I mean get to the start/finish before the timer runs out, but passing and changing positions on track while weaving among AI cars is not really the best situation to determine finishing order so I'm in support of this idea. At minimum we can try it next week and see what people think, but I'll let the drivers give their feedback in the suggestions thread.

It won't necessarily fix the issue with Gravitron last night. If you are just over a lap down to a lead lap car and you follow that car to the finish they will suddenly slow. The only way to cure all those issues is to add the extra laps and have people who finish the final lap just ghost and pull over. But seems a bit extreme and I like the varying race finish delay better.

I'm in favor of the idea too. My issue last night wasn't really an issue, it just took me a second to figure out why he was slowing...Oh, start/finish line! I just started my last lap! Duh! :dunce:

Just a wild idea running trough my head ;

We could make a kind of series, that apears a few time through out the year, based on the RL 'Blancpain Endurance Series' This is a new series (maiden year was last year) and is a hughe succes among top constuctors. All is based on GT3 cars, who run races of 3 hours on various tracks (Monza, Nurnburgring) and the higlight in the middle of the season : Total 24hrs of Spa-Francorchamps. By using 'the balance of preformance' you could choose among a big variety of GT3 cars as Audi R8, Mercedes SLS, Mp4-12c,Porsche, Chevrolet Camaro, 458 Italia, BMW Z4.....

We could all choose a car and team up, for 3 events, being the rl tracks wich are in GT5. Instead of running the full length we could do a 1.5 hour race on Monza and Nurnburg, and a 4 or 6 hours simulated 24hrs race in Spa.

Ofcourse this is a rough idea, any sugestions to finetune would be nice, if there is interest ofcourse....for those who are 'catching my drift'....here is the real life link, enjoy

http://www.blancpain-endurance-series.com/

...and a 4 or 6 hours simulated 24hrs race in Spa...

Now 4 or 6 hours is seriously crazy. The 2.4 hour enduro race was definitely at my limit. If there was a feasible way to actually do a driver switch and have more cars on track the longer enduro races would be really cool.

Now 4 or 6 hours is seriously crazy. The 2.4 hour enduro race was definitely at my limit. If there was a feasible way to actually do a driver switch and have more cars on track the longer enduro races would be really cool.

As i am driving on a lower pace, i had no problems finishing the enduro, and i could have gone on for an hour, maybe two.... but i do understand what you mean. So it must be true, we Belgians are crazy, lol :crazy:

One day perhaps we could have an untuned Supercar race with a free choice of car from the Nissan GT-R through to the Lamborghini Murcielago SV. Before I joined WRS I had run a few cars (60 or so :D) over a few track to see which cars I was fastest in and largely there was not a lot separating each. With a good mix of cars on the right track it could make for an interesting race.

jtv90069
One day perhaps we could have an untuned Supercar race with a free choice of car from the Nissan GT-R through to the Lamborghini Murcielago SV. Before I joined WRS I had run a few cars (60 or so :D) over a few track to see which cars I was fastest in and largely there was not a lot separating each. With a good mix of cars on the right track it could make for an interesting race.

Sounds like fun. After the enduro we should test a few. No tuning + car variety + equal performance = pretty cool event.

I know no more enduros for a while but here is what I want;):

2.4 Hour at La Sarthe choosing between XJ13, 330 P4, and Mark IV.

I know expensive, but thats what time and the grinder are for.

With full weather and day/night cycle! :dopey:

Day/night cycle I would support, but not so much on the weather. I only have one admin vote though so you can lobby the other admins.

You must have been channeling me with this suggestion. :sly:

I've been pushing for these cars since the Spa Enduro planning. :dopey:

EDK
You must have been channeling me with this suggestion. :sly:

I've been pushing for these cars since the Spa Enduro planning. :dopey:

Glad to hear there is support among the admins.👍 They are beautiful cars and the sounds are just sexy. If you guys can make something happen with these cars please not in June, I'll be in Germany and Spain for three weeks.:D

I strongly suggest any recommended car at Monaco. Something rear wheel drive would be best, and the crappiest tires possible. I'm not suggesting this because I think i'll win, it is just a really awesome track!

Perhaps we could do it shootout style with reverse grid like we did at London in the Mini. I think a standard race with qualifying would be best though, as long as it's long enough to require a pit or two.

Let me know what you think.

I strongly suggest any recommended car at Monaco. Something rear wheel drive would be best, and the crappiest tires possible. I'm not suggesting this because I think i'll win, it is just a really awesome track!

Perhaps we could do it shootout style with reverse grid like we did at London in the Mini. I think a standard race with qualifying would be best though, as long as it's long enough to require a pit or two.

Let me know what you think.
That only cals for trouble to be honest. Remember, people of all skil levels have to be able to control the car.

I would like to see a rear wheel drive at Monaco though, but low powered and with comfort softs as the 'worst' tyre.

That only cals for trouble to be honest. Remember, people of all skil levels have to be able to control the car.

It could be something easy to handle like the RX-7 or similar and it doesn't have to be comfort hards (although that would be awesome) we could go with sport tires. Everyone here seems good enough for that.

Just spitballing anyways, really want to see Monaco in the WRS but obviously wishing alone isn't enough. As my friend always tells me "Wish in one hand, and **** in the other. See which fills up first." :dopey:

It could be something easy to handle like the RX-7 or similar and it doesn't have to be comfort hards (although that would be awesome) we could go with sport tires. Everyone here seems good enough for that.

Just spitballing anyways, really want to see Monaco in the WRS but obviously wishing alone isn't enough. As my friend always tells me "Wish in one hand, and **** in the other. See which fills up first." :dopey:
We already had a 3D3 race at Monaco so I'm sure there will be one in the future.

And I do like that combo now you mention it, the RX-7 performs very well on tight tracks.

We already had a 3D3 race at Monaco so I'm sure there will be one in the future.

So I hear. That was a LONG time ago though, might be perfect time to rotate it back in!

Well, either way. You guys know better than I what will work and what won't. Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents before it got taxed and I only had 1.4 cents to share.

Two things are certain: The laws of physics and the fact that if we haven't used a track in a long time it'll be used in the near future. :sly:

I think most people would have thought about a GT Academy special event by now and one would have to look no further than WRS week 71 for evidence.

Depending on how GT5 incorporates Motegi in the next few weeks and whether the GT Academy cars will be tradeable, how about re-creating Round 8-5 or something similar if the pieces fall into place for a 3D3 special event? Or a collection of the "Best of GT Academy" rounds as inspiration for more races?

Back