GTP_WRS Week 107 : The French Invade Britain

• Thread starter EDK
  • 173 comments
Kevin (@EDK), I think you nailed this combo.
I know from experience that it's not always easy to come up with a good combo. Sometimes there is a bit too much grip, sometimes the car is a bit too fast for a tight track, sometimes the car is a bit too slow so the shift points are too important, sometimes the combo would be better with tuning allowed or the other way around.
There is so many chances to get it wrong.

In my eyes a good combo needs to be a bit frustrating, but it also needs to be rewarding. This one is spot on.

@wahthewalrus - I lowered the brake power because there is only one turn that requires heavy braking. The other three turns can be done without brakes or very light braking. Low braking power helps me not to slow down too much (I got very crappy pedals so modulating brakes is tricky).

Last edited:
Why is it that, recently, almost every thread you make has a photobomb car in the pics? this time it was Madmax, last time it was gravitron (GT86 in Supraman XIII).
Ok, it's far from every thread, but feels like its getting more frequent.:P Is there a new tradition being started?💡:P

Kevin (@EDK), I think you nailed this combo.
I know from experience that it's not always easy to come up with a good combo. Sometimes there is a bit too much grip, sometimes the car is a bit too fast for a tight track, sometimes the car is a bit too slow so the shift points are too important, sometimes the combo would be better with tuning allowed or the other way around.
There is so many chances to get it wrong.

In my eyes a good combo needs to be a bit frustrating, but it also needs to be rewarding. This one is spot on.
Thanks. :embarrassed: Practice, lots of practice. I've been at this for more than 6 years now.

Why is it that, recently, almost every thread you make has a photobomb car in the pics? this time it was Madmax, last time it was gravitron (GT86 in Supraman XIII).
Ok, it's far from every thread, but feels like its getting more frequent.:P Is there a new tradition being started?💡:P
I think in this case it was just that he did not have the car in his garage, and they were in a race room trying out the combo. The pics were good so I just used them, instead of trying to make my own.

I better dig this car up from the stockyard , had it long before 1.11 suspension update , so better reset suspension before giving this a try. :D

EDK
I think in this case it was just that he did not have the car in his garage, and they were in a race room trying out the combo. The pics were good so I just used them, instead of trying to make my own.
Yes I know, I believe it was the same with Gravitron a few weeks back.
Still, kinda funny.:P

Yes I know, I believe it was the same with Gravitron a few weeks back.
Still, kinda funny.:P
GT86, Tom's Supra...what's the diff? :) That was actually @Bleached in the GT86, due to losing his game save and having to start over, all he had at the time were the anniversary cars.

Reactions: EDK
This is my favorite of the Photobomb shots. Nothin' to see here folks, nothin' to see. Almost looks like a fan that decided to jump on a sports field and run across it. :lol:

full

Go, go, go Gordini! :D This combo is awesome! 👍 Smooth inputs needed, but only a light dab on the brakes before corners, even at Druids i don't press the brakes fully. Keeping a bit of throttle through the corners helps to keep it stable.

GT86, Tom's Supra...what's the diff? :) That was actually @Bleached in the GT86, due to losing his game save and having to start over, all he had at the time were the anniversary cars.
Ah, my bad! My memory is about 60 years older than the rest of my brain.

BB 5/5

Submitted and accepted. :) I cut it super close with the boundary on the exit of turn 1.

I think I can do turn 1 better, but it'd be tough for me to match my pace through all the other turns in the same lap again.

I love these short tracks, where you can get in a bunch of laps in relatively short period of time, and these slower cars, that require smoothness and a focus on maintaining momentum. Really fun for hot-lapping. 👍

First try i only had ABS on.
The car has much oversteer when overpower in the corner.
Maybe i should try with traction control or asm?

First try i only had ABS on.
The car has much oversteer when overpower in the corner.
Maybe i should try with traction control or asm?
That's going to slow you down.

Have you tried adjusting the brake balance? Try it with front bias, (i.e. 3/2, 2/1, 1/0) and rear bias (2/3, 1/2, 0/1) and see what works for you. It will not just change the behavior of the car under braking, it will slightly tweak the overall handling.

Past that, smooth inputs and good gear selection will even out what you are experiencing. I found gearing down and getting on the power helped with grip in this car, which makes sense. All the weight is in the back, when you transfer more by getting on throttle, it hooks up!

And you use wheel, some well timed opposite lock to pre-correct slides is also helpful. I do quite a bit of that on this one.

Had a go with ABS 0, brake bias of 0/1 (as opposed to 1/0) and even TCS 1 to try and find time but none of those helped so went back to previous settings and, after being nowhere for a while, managed to get together a PB sector 2 for over 2 tenths at the line and then managed nearly another 2 tenths with a PB final sector for an overall gain of just over 4 tenths! Have even seena couple of .2 sector 1s. Only goal left for the week now really is to try and get a 38 split:

S1: 22.368
S2: 39.052

BB 8:5

This has been far too frustrating. Loved the combo at times, hated it in others. (No offence though)

Clearways and Druids have been the big time killers here.

Last edited:

This has been far too frustrating. Loved the combo at times, hated it in others.

You are using a lot of brake, those corners have a tendency to make the car want to step out if you have too much brake applied when you start to turn in.

You might consider cutting both of your brake numbers in half, something like 4/3, maintaining similar bias but giving more sensitivity/less pressure.

And then focus on trail braking the car, heavier pressure earlier, release slowly and feed the throttle in (mash it) as you come fully off the brake.

I think I know the behavior you are talking about and those steps may help. I also am using rear bias brake, and part of the reason is I found the step out to be worse with front bias. Some of that will be down to driving technique and individual preference, but that was my finding.

This has been far too frustrating. Loved the combo at times, hated it in others. (No offence though)

Submitted time. I hope it's not in the bottom 5% of lap times :)

I think (if I've worked it out correctly) that if I've done good enough on here, I may MAY possibly get Division 1 Bronze, but chances of that are insanely slim because of week 105. :scared:

Back