GTP_WRS Week 17 : EDK Goes to Daytona

• Thread starter EDK
  • 184 comments
Will be interesting to hear from you how the real busstop is. :)

There was a racer's point of view video of a few laps around the track a few months back in a blog post (the news section of gtp), and I had had the impression that the bus stop seemed much shorter than the one we have. But I noticed there seems to be another possible configuration for it from the in-game track that would indeed make it shorter. Kevin can report on which one was used when he was there.

Personally, I simply could not improve on my time, and came close to my current ghost only once or twice, very frustrating. Will give it another go tomorrow since it's a holiday up here.

To forget about my frustration, I finally finished automating the making of those time charts (took advantage of the opportunity to start learning python). Here's the current one (each tick mark = 0.2 second).

week17.png

Oh, and it reads from left to right, now, I guess :D

There was a racer's point of view video of a few laps around the track a few months back in a blog post (the news section of gtp), and I had had the impression that the bus stop seemed much shorter than the one we have. But I noticed there seems to be another possible configuration for it from the in-game track that would indeed make it shorter. Kevin can report on which one was used when he was there.
I know the 24 hours uses a shorter bus stop than the one we are used to, but I'm not entirely sure which one I will be driving - We shall see.

I do know that I will not be taking it with the make or break reckless abandon that I do on GT. :scared:

Yeah, I believe it was the 24 hours, so that makes sense. And yes, do be careful, we'd like to have you back in one piece!

Second session was disappointing. Not sure I will get to try a third one.

Al

1'04.753

Bonzai splits...

1:04.722

Lost a quarter-second compared to my best bus stop, and there's plenty of brake lockup, but it's my best so far.

Found nearly 1 tenth at the line with an awesome T1 and bus stop, but I screwed T2 after seeing that split :D
So still 1-2 tenths left.

1'03.410

The longer bus stop that's still in the game disappeared from the real track in 2010 when the track was repaved. It hasn't been used by the Rolex Sports Car Series since 2002, so don't ask me why we're still forced to use it.

The longer bus stop that's still in the game disappeared from the real track in 2010 when the track was repaved. It hasn't been used by the Rolex Sports Car Series since 2002, so don't ask me why we're still forced to use it.
I think it has to do with when this track was rendered. It goes back to Prologue, which was released in 2008. Granted, that's still 6 years after the 2002 date you mention, but the track repave happened just prior to the 2012 Daytona 500, if I'm not mistaken.

Seen faster splits.. but the 'Bus Stop'.. is killing me.. :crazy:..

Accepted
1'04.750

1'03.639

Dropped at least a couple of tenths overall, but still submitting with these. The first sector is irritating me too much to continue.

Got the time were I was aiming for so i'm submitting with these splits.

1'04.887

Ended up half a second faster then my previous fastest lap.

I can't do a last run on this TT and have to submit with my splits on the board, due to school... Could have done a better lap, I just hope I can maintain in 2nd position :scared: Good Luck to all that are still running! See you in the results thread.

This almost take me to page 2 of LB :(, but that's my best lap, submitted and accepted

As usual,I'll have to submit with slower splits :(

So much time to gain (or lose) in the busstop.it's scary :)

Always wondered how much of this is skill, training etc. and how much is fast reaction times. In other words if we ranked people here by reaction times would the list resemble the division rankings or not.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php

I average about .260 which according to their data puts me slightly below average.

I'll have to try it while sober, I drove the fan cars a lot, and I already had fast reactions when I started. I bet my results are sloooow, I always suck at stuff when it's being measured. Not in a dirty way. :sly:

Time for the weekly banzai run. Here we go. Good luck all
edit. first splits, 45mins to go

6 tenths at the line

Final banzai complete
leaving about 2 tenths out there in sector one, but think i should be competitive hopefully in the final sector
Submitted and accepted

Last edited:
Always wondered how much of this is skill, training etc. and how much is fast reaction times. In other words if we ranked people here by reaction times would the list resemble the division rankings or not.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php

I average about .260 which according to their data puts me slightly below average.
.300 here, so it's memorization in my case.

Submitted and accepted with splits on the board. I don't remember ever finishing a TT this high on the LB, but I will go down several spots in the final results because of my crappy bus stop... I'm just hoping it will still be good enough for a negative handicap.

Submitted and accepted with splits on the board. I don't remember ever finishing a TT this high on the LB, but I will go down several spots in the final results because of my crappy bus stop... I'm just hoping it will still be good enough for a negative handicap.
That bus stop can definitely be a killer :lol:. Most of my banzai laps were like the one I submitted (which was a big improvement over last week's), but I did have one that was nearly a quarter-second faster than that.

It will be interesting to see what time of day everybody chose. My bonzai run began at 8:15 am track time.

Edit - I should have worked on the banzai a bit longer - missed the podium by less than the spread between the submitted bus stop and my theoretical best bus stop. :banghead:

Edit part 2 - Even though my laps are like potted plants, I really meant the charge.

Last edited:
Banzai run pays off for silver again! I seem to enjoy the element of being under pressure to deliver a time - i could feel my final sector was goodish , but it is a pain knowing there was still time out there.
It has been a total joy taking part in the wrs so far. I know my driving has improved since this.

Well done to all podium winners and debut entries, and everyone else!

:cheers::gtpflag:

Back