GTP_WRS Week 19 : Pinch Me, Am I Dreaming?

• Thread starter EDK
  • 290 comments
I helped fix up and sell an '85 325e, which was a pretty darn nice car and convinced me to buy the E46 I owned and daily drove from 2004-2012. We put over 200,000 miles on that car.

Then in turn I've raced in an E30 a couple of times, first at Laguna Seca and then at Road America. Can confirm that they are taily, especially when you strip and cage them.

This kind of reminds me of what the M3 wants to do on the left hand turn after the Dunlop Bridge. :lol:

EDK
I helped fix up and sell an '85 325e, which was a pretty darn nice car and convinced me to buy the E46 I owned and daily drove from 2004-2012. We put over 200,000 miles on that car.

Then in turn I've raced in an E30 a couple of times, first at Laguna Seca and then at Road America. Can confirm that they are taily, especially when you strip and cage them.

This kind of reminds me of what the M3 wants to do on the left hand turn after the Dunlop Bridge. :lol:

Nice catch sir :lol::lol::lol:

EDK

You can always take that corner in 4th gear, :lol: kidding of course.

I can take this at full throttle maybe 2 out of 10 laps. I find 90-95% throttle can work most laps as you run out wide on this corner exit. Got to be in good shape as you approach the hairpin.
I've found that you need a lot less steering angle to make the corner at full throttle than you would think. But then again, I might not be coming out of the corner before it as fast as I need to be. I can tell you that I took it flat on the lap with my posted splits.

EDK
I've found that you need a lot less steering angle to make the corner at full throttle than you would think. But then again, I might not be coming out of the corner before it as fast as I need to be. I can tell you that I took it flat on the lap with my posted splits.

Agree... Let it run wide on exit with as little steering input as possible as the revs go up. Getting a good exit with momentum out of the right hander just before it helps big time.

EDK

Wipers made me :lol: Nice save!

:lol: Great title, Kev. But no, CS tires are never in my dreams :P I'm hoping my CSL wheel arrives this week, but really Kev, this would be an excellent combo to see how it all feels 👍

Jerome

Anybody figured out the quickest way around the final corner yet?!

This is how I approach it...

Initial corner entry speed is important to be kind to that front left CS.

I treat this corner as a double apex one most laps. Brake in a straight line a bit earlier than you think aiming towards that early apex point.....then run a bit wide (car width or so) as speed comes off (low 70’s MPH I think) and then back to the inside curb for the second apex as I feed in a bit of throttle. Now run wide as you keep feeding in more throttle heading for the rumble strips on corner exit just before the start/final line.

Very little steering input is needed for most of this corner.

This is how I approach it...

Initial corner entry speed is important to be kind to that front left CS.

I treat this corner as a double apex one most laps. Brake in a straight line a bit earlier than you think aiming towards that early apex point.....then run a bit wide (car width or so) as speed comes off (low 70’s MPH I think) and then back to the inside curb for the second apex as I feed in a bit of throttle. Now run wide as you keep feeding in more throttle heading for the rumble strips on corner exit just before the start/final line.

Very little steering input is needed for most of this corner.
I've always taken it like this. I am the car in the bottom right, but we all look pretty similar. Understand the new exit curb will make some difference, but I actually try to carry in speed and turn in under braking, stay OFF the apex curb as it kicks you out wide, and then pick a throttle on point and drive to exit.

EDK
I've always taken it like this. I am the car in the bottom right, but we all look pretty similar. Understand the new exit curb will make some difference, but I actually try to carry in speed and turn in under braking, stay OFF the apex curb as it kicks you out wide, and then pick a throttle on point and drive to exit.

I am not touching the inside curb and agreeing that it only kicks you out wide.

Well the approach you are taking looks a bit cleaner than mine. Will give this a go.

Thanks!!!

Back