GTP_WRS Week 26 : Mazda is as Mazda Does

• Thread starter EDK
  • 473 comments
Right...I *think* I have an opportunity to get a promotion this week. Could I get confirmation...my current handicap is 2.685 after two negative handicaps in a row. If I get another negative this week and my overall handicap goes below 2.666 does that mean I'll be promoted into D2 Silver?

Whatever the case, this is about the best chance I'll get before Christmas to have a decent stab at improving so I'm gonna give it a good shot this week 👍

Right...I *think* I have an opportunity to get a promotion this week. Could I get confirmation...my current handicap is 2.685 after two negative handicaps in a row. If I get another negative this week and my overall handicap goes below 2.666 does that mean I'll be promoted into D2 Silver?

Whatever the case, this is about the best chance I'll get before Christmas to have a decent stab at improving so I'm gonna give it a good shot this week 👍

Should be the case, even if you're only negative by .1 or something similar this week.

Should be the case, even if you're only negative by .1 or something similar this week.

Awesome 👍 Well, here's the results from my first session:

1:15.877

Pretty happy so far...can still see a few tenths left to get so I'm crossing my fingers that a promotions-a-comin'

This is one of my favorite tracks (behind road atlanta) and I still have no idea how to take turn 5 properly. That's where I'm losing all the most time. I may take off the racing brakes to see if I can brake more effectively.

This is one of my favorite tracks (behind road atlanta) and I still have no idea how to take turn 5 properly. That's where I'm losing all the most time. I may take off the racing brakes to see if I can brake more effectively.

Turn 5 is by far the hardest turn ever in the history of turning. Always blow a good start there :/

@DTM also loves this turn

Turn 5 is by far the hardest turn ever in the history of turning. Always blow a good start there :/

@DTM also loves this turn

When I take t5 good, i totally screw up t6. I've been a good 1-2 car lengths ahead of my ghost at the bowl, lose it all going up the hill and then gain a little back out of the corkscrew... just to mess up t3. If anyone is gonna have a shot at beating McSqueegy, it's gonna come down to nailing an 'all-or-nothing' lap with a good t1.

Soon as I get a 1'14.9 split and a good T3 I'm calling it a day! It certainly won't be me going for the win, I'll leave that to you, Dennis or someone else :D

I really love the combo but I seem to be losing a lot of time in T3 does anyone have some tips for me?

I really love the combo but I seem to be losing a lot of time in T3 does anyone have some tips for me?

Stay in 4th at the dip up the hill, i slightly tap the brakes and turn as soon as the rumble strip of the dip come into view. The corkscrew, i brake at the crest of the hill, coast into it in 2nd, apply throttle on the way down, shifting to 3rd where the bottom is.

Stay in 4th at the dip up the hill, i slightly tap the brakes and turn as soon as the rumble strip of the dip come into view. The corkscrew, i brake at the crest of the hill, coast into it in 2nd, apply throttle on the way down, shifting to 3rd where the bottom is.

Okay seems like I'm not doing a whole lot different. I tap the brake slightly at the #1 sign @ the first corner of T3. maybe its my line through the corkscrew. Do you stay rightside while on the brakes till the turn in point?

Cheers,

Kevin

Okay seems like I'm not doing a whole lot different. I tap the brake slightly at the #1 sign @ the first corner of T3. maybe its my line through the corkscrew. Do you stay rightside while on the brakes till the turn in point?

Cheers,

Kevin

Video of @PASM doing Laguna in the 63 Vette. The lines he uses are probably what you want to emulate. Braking and shifting points will be different for the Mazda.

Video of @PASM doing Laguna in the 63 Vette. The lines he uses are probably what you want to emulate. Braking and shifting points will be different for the Mazda.

Thanks that helped alot! Now I see my error. I turn in a bit to early for the corkscrew so I end up a bit wide and cant get on the throttle early enough. Thanks for this gem of a vid @PASM

Wow
I find myself bottom of the leader board again, having shaved off ten seconds at the line from my first splits....maybe i nail sector 4. I doubt it.
Going at this again now
Negative handicap if it kills me

Im currently having the exact same problem as @ItsAllAboutWins , but obviously slower

Wow
These aliens have a real feel for where the track is, as in, how much curb you can take without taking it off the actual track.
Amazing . I need to get that feel

@Bertracer i set my currently splits with 4/6 bb aYnd tried improving with 5/5. Try all the bbs that have been suggested. 2/4 3/5 4/6... I'd start eitg 2/4 and see if i am overshooting corners.. if so 3/5 and repeat

Not going to be competitive at all in this one, but I'll keep going. Today's poor effort:

Oh this has been fun today. I always use an automatic gearbox but today I thought let's grab the bull (Mazda) by the horns an go manual. the first 30 minutes I really needed to get used to it because sometimes I forgot to change gears. But after half an hour I became more confident and slowly but surely started to approach my best time with the automatic gearbox. And now after 1 hour and 45 minutes I am 1,267 seconds ahead at the line! What a magnificent learningcurve this has been! can't wait to have an other go tonight. Unbelievable I was so foolish to think that it would take an enormous amount of time and effort to become quicker with a manual. So I here by swear never to poke that automatic abomination again!

So I lost a bit of time in sector 1 and a bit more in sector 2 but I was able to win a lot of time in T3 an T4.

1'17.467

I appreciate the help you've given me in the posts prior to this one!

Cheers:cheers:,

Kevin

Last edited:
Back