GTP_WRS Week 29: Official Results

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 60 comments
Second opinion on DieselDave08...

I reviewed every frame between 59.033 and 59.350 (20 in all) and in every frame, the right-front tire was still on red-and-white curbing. A pic from the 59.233 mark (as best as I can tell, as close as it gets)...

View attachment 202988

DieselDave08
greenflag-gif.152575
I came up with the same conclusion: clean.

Big congrats to the division winners and podium finishers. Well done by Lloyd with the overall win, and to Mini_Stiggy and Manu for rounding out the overall podium.

Big props to the 4 guys ahead of me in D2, with their D1 handicaps.

And special callout to @RoeszaGT for being the only D3 driver to post a D2 time, and well up the order at that. 👍

Great to see so many new faces in here throughout the results, and thanks to all the participants for our best turnout since week 14.

EDK
Big congrats to the division winners and podium finishers. Well done by Lloyd with the overall win, and to Mini_Stiggy and Manu for rounding out the overall podium.

Big props to the 4 guys ahead of me in D2, with their D1 handicaps.

And special callout to @RoeszaGT for being the only D3 driver to post a D2 time, and well up the order at that. 👍

Great to see so many new faces in here throughout the results, and thanks to all the participants for our best turnout since week 14.
Those new faces cost me a podium. Oh well, I'll just have to push harder...much harder.

EDK

Congrats Johan! Division 2 has a spot awaiting you...besides being "Mr.Consistency" at the races every time
Well done mate 👍

Second opinion on DieselDave08...

I reviewed every frame between 59.033 and 59.350 (20 in all) and in every frame, the right-front tire was still on red-and-white curbing. A pic from the 59.233 mark (as best as I can tell, as close as it gets)...

Really glad you caught this and thanks for checking. I wasn't able to get that good of an angle -- I guess I have a bit of work to do on how to use the camera.

I probably shouldn't have red - flagged it (well...obviously shouldn't have red flagged it) but instead just requested a second opinion or two.

My apologies Diesel Dave.

Back to replay-checking:

GTP_DTM
greenflag-gif.152575
(yes, I know it's technically not required because 2 rookies are on the D1 podium, but I like green flags and the time was the 2nd-fastest regular D1 time)
SPENCIVE
greenflag-gif.152575

Ruzinvincible
greenflag-gif.152575
(close call exiting the bus-stop chicane, but the extended curbing kept the left side tires legal)
Rotorist
greenflag-gif.152575

r0msiii
greenflag-gif.152575

swsc73
greenflag-gif.152575

Really glad you caught this and thanks for checking. I wasn't able to get that good of an angle -- I guess I have a bit of work to do on how to use the camera.

I probably shouldn't have red - flagged it (well...obviously shouldn't have red flagged it) but instead just requested a second opinion or two.
"Live and learn," I always try to remember to say. You can always move camera 1 (and only camera 1) to where you need it.

At least you didn't green-flag something that should have been red-flagged.

Is that chicane called bus stop in real? Just like spa?
Thanks eggstor

Thanks for the quick check and the compliment on turn 2 but I feel the same way as Eggstor. It wasn't perfect...

....just my observations watching most of the D4 replays was a lot of them very consistently left a lot of space on the outside on most if not all turns....a car's width in some cases. I thought T2 was a good example to illustrate because it follows a long straight so you have all day to get the car into the position you want, and even if you didn't hit it perfectly you were still fast because you were setup well in the first place.

Perfect's tough, just the right amount of brake and the right turn in is hard -- positioning the car before the turn in is easy. That's why I'd stress to the D4 guys to make sure to get the easy stuff right and they'll be faster on the harder, imperfect stuff.

I could say the same about my position before the turn in on turn 2 in contrast to Lloyd's position. My right tires are half way on the curb, his are fully on the curb with maybe a few inches of curb left. Of course every time I tried this I was hitting the restart button rather than the accelerator.

(Me watching Lloyd drive is like me watching Rory McIlroy hit drives....yeah I see what he did there, I still can't do it.)

Finishing up the replays of those faster than me:

starfighter75
greenflag-gif.152575

redbullrider20
greenflag-gif.152575

I thought DieselDave08's chicane was close. Starfighter75's was closer - from the 59.600 mark:

starfighter75 Fuji WRS.jpg

Is that chicane called bus stop in real? Just like spa?
Thanks eggstor
It's actually the chicane version of Dunlop Corner. The GT version of the corner is just a medium right and a bit closer to the 1974-1985 (80's) version of the track that had.

Incidentally, Dunlop was, from 1986 until the track rebuild between 2002 and 2005, a proper chicane.

Congrats Johan! Division 2 has a spot awaiting you...besides being "Mr.Consistency" at the races every time
Well done mate 👍

Thanks Javier I'm working hard on that promotion but you noticed that allready, it can't be far away anymore and it's going all A bit faster then I expected. Could just stay ahead of you this time around and see you wednesday.👍

Downloaded the remaining replays who needs to be checked. :gtplanet:

Fi
greenflag-gif.152575
greenflag-gif.152575

View attachment 203152

It's actually the chicane version of Dunlop Corner. The GT version of the corner is just a medium right and a bit closer to the 1974-1985 (80's) version of the track that had.

Incidentally, Dunlop was, from 1986 until the track rebuild between 2002 and 2005, a proper chicane.
Yea i.e., I asked ,t he racing was so good in 2007 and 2008 on this track ,sad they dropped it out of f1 calendar.
I think I might be the only one who likes fuji over suzuki

Yea i.e., I asked ,t he racing was so good in 2007 and 2008 on this track ,sad they dropped it out of f1 calendar.
I think I might be the only one who likes fuji over suzuki
The Great Recession and its effects on track owner Toyota (specifically, its exit from F1) might have had something to do with that. Up until that exit, Fuji and Suzuki were supposed to share the F1 Japan Grand Prix date.
All replays that needed to be verified are now checked. :gtpflag:

Now i'm going to compare my lap with that from @LLOYDZELITE69 :nervous:
Trying to see some secrets in his amazing lap and use that for wednesday.
Lots of luck. Aliens can't be copied.

Great combo EDK, it never got boring:tup:

I still can't believe I've came in 2nd to Lloydz 2 times by less than .050 out of 4 TT's:mad:.

As a rookie, when am I listed in a division?:nervous: I now finished 3 time trials...

@Vaxen had to be away for this evening, so he left the keys to the Registry with me. I only know how to run weekly results though, promotions and rookies getting their placements will have to wait for him to return.

Patience, grasshopper.

Sure mate. I'm just curious where the wrs-journey starts for me. No need to hurry. But "grasshopper" might be a good ID :lol:
Well, you can estimate that you'll either be in D2B or D3G based on your 3 results:

Week 27: 28--2'08.882-R-swsc73 r=2.903 (d2/0.000)
Week 28: 28--1'40.391-R-swsc73 r=3.014 (d3/0.124)
Week 29: 33--1'36.519-R-swsc73 r=2.934 (d2/0.044)

not my best ever result :embarrassed: :P

Congrats to Lloydz for the win and all the other podium finishers in their respective divisions 👍

:cheers:

More wizardry...:bowdown:

Mysteron71
greenflag-gif.152575

GTP_billyjoebobx
greenflag-gif.152575
Ha, me thinks your praise is better heaped on Ron @Mr P , he got his lap time without many laps I think he said.
It took me a fair number of laps to beat you by .005 :P
At least we got negative handicaps. Thanks for checking my lap btw. 👍

Congrats to our two soon to be D1 Gold drivers @Mini Stiggy and @LLOYDZELITE69 for topping the podium. :cool:

Congrats to all podium finishers, especially @RoeszaGT for killing that handicap. :cheers:

And extra congrats to @jimipitbull, @ConRollins , and @viper84 for killing their handicaps and finishing ahead of me. :sly:

Last edited:
Just noticed I finished 3rd in my division (3) I forgot that the rookies don't count yet. My placing was 6th in the unofficial results, what a nice surprise.

Congratulations to everybody !

As a rookie, I'm very far from most of your times :eek:
I improved my time (1sec faster ->1'38.4) but it was too late to post it. I want to work with your ghosts this we iin order to improve myself but I don't really know where to begin ? (I don't think that using @LLOYDZELITE69 replay is a good idea :D) I'm asking myself if I should use ABS or does the majority here plays without it ?

I will try to use the datalogger with the @LLOYDZELITE69 relay as @manumanu19 said...

PS : I don't know why but I don't have the french flag on wrs.gtplanet.net ? I also play with a wheel...

I improved my time (1sec faster ->1'38.4) but it was too late to post it. I want to work with your ghosts this we iin order to improve myself but I don't really know where to begin ? (I don't think that using @LLOYDZELITE69 replay is a good idea :D) I'm asking myself if I should use ABS or does the majority here plays without it ?

I will try to use the datalogger with the @LLOYDZELITE69 relay as @manumanu19 said...

PS : I don't know why but I don't have the french flag on wrs.gtplanet.net ? I also play with a wheel...

See here for changing your info on the leaderboard:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/guide-to-the-leaderboard-and-fetchy.297646/

Most everyone uses ABS 1 in the time trials, there are a few exceptions that do use ABS 0. What I like to do when watching replays is look at the lines the fast drivers are taking. Notice how they try to use the whole track in order to get on the gas as quickly as possible. They are putting the car in the optimal position in order to get through and out of the turns quickly. I also pay attention to how they handle throttle control. While exiting a corner the faster guys are feathering the gas waiting for when they can safely give the car full gas. Keeping that in mind has helped me with lap times, I try not to just coast waiting to hit full throttle at the apex. Someone told me the gas pedal is analog not digital, meaning it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Once you know the lines, the next thing that separates them is the ability to brake later and get on the gas quicker, which over the course of a lap adds up to a faster lap. Saying all that, sometimes I like watching a replay of someone slightly faster than me, something I feel I can attain. Lloyd and the guys at the top are really fast, and use techniques which are not easy to duplicate.

What Patrick said, plus I find that real improvement for me comes when I start shaving a couple of hundreds off times that I thought I couldn't beat...it's that extra bit of push that forces me to learn something new. If you keep plugging away at this one until you hit the mid 1:37's I think you'll find the improvements will carry over to subsequent TTs.

For what it's worth, when the GT Academy started up in June I wasn't good enough to get gold times in the first two events (or most seasonal TTs, for that matter), so I've had to learn quite a bit to hang around the middle of the pack here.

A few useful things I've learned:

1. On every corner, do everything one time and one time only--brake once, turn once, accelerate once. If you find yourself making corrections (ie accelerating, then getting off the gas because you're running wide, then accelerating again or making a lot of corrections on your turn), you're probably costing yourself time;

2. Learn to run consistent times on laps (no matter how slow or fast). I didn't appreciate the importance of doing this until I started doing it. I'll bet you a dollar that if you can run 5 consecutive laps on Fuji between 1:39.0 and 1:39.5 you'll mix in a low 1:38 soon after and it won't even feel like you're trying (I got this from Tidgney's GT5 Academy videos, major help for me);

3. Be very skeptical about advice from fellow rookies - we don't know what we don't know. :sly:

Back