GTP_WRS Week 42 : Slightly PUGnacious

• Thread starter Argon
  • 221 comments
A wheel is not essential for gt, it just helps with the immersion. However it helps a great deal in pcars2 and assetto corsa and I imagine the f1 series, did for me anyway. I find I am still not as fast with a wheel as a controller in GT, although am working at it, hence not been in races of late. Next week tho.....

A wheel is not essential for gt, it just helps with the immersion. However it helps a great deal in pcars2 and assetto corsa and I imagine the f1 series, did for me anyway. I find I am still not as fast with a wheel as a controller in GT, although am working at it, hence not been in races of late. Next week tho.....

Not sure I agree. I could argue that there is no game that demands a wheel as they are all capable of supporting a controller. You may have a preference for PCars or some other sim racing game but that doesn't make it any different to GTSport :)

The issue with you not being as fast comes down to practice and nothing else. I can assure you as a dedicated controller for every version of GT up until GT5 I have the battle scars of the transition, for me it was long and at time very frustrating but worth every second. GTSport is a huge leap forward in wheel support and I would suggest that the transition would be far less arduous

Of course this is just my experience

That just means they are trying to appeal to more users...

I base that on trying to play pcars and assetto corsa with a controller and finding it ridiculous to control the car in either game despite many hours of trying, and every adjustment to settings tried! Both games responded better to a wheel from the off... Gt doesn't have this difference, this is point I was making

I base that on trying to play pcars and assetto corsa with a controller and finding it ridiculous to control the car in either game despite many hours of trying, and every adjustment to settings tried! Both games responded better to a wheel from the off... Gt doesn't have this difference, this is point I was making
Take those guys right now without a wheel and give them a wheel and see how fast they are

Having only ever used a wheel the odd one or two times I actually found them rather uncomfortable though I think that was more my position rather than equipment. I.e I always found my feet too inverted (if that’s the right word, if not upright).

I’ve only just graduated from using the directional buttons for steering and x and square for accelerate / brake.

What I feel I lack in the controller is control when correcting oversteer, but maybe that’s my reactions and control on the accelerator when trying to get on the gas early.

Last edited:
I can assure you as a dedicated controller for every version of GT up until GT5 I have the battle scars of the transition, for me it was long and at time very frustrating but worth every second. GTSport is a huge leap forward in wheel support and I would suggest that the transition would be far less arduous

I would tend to agree, I can remember going to G25 and wheelstand years ago, for the first week or two I was wondering why I'd bothered making the change but now there's no way I can go as fast with a controller, although if my mates over and we play some campaign mode i always go back to the pad and still enjoy it. Can only seem to cope with chase cam when I'm using it though

I guess he disappointed you again :lol:
Our pit wall is just garbage. Let's not open a discussion about that, pointless.

Having only ever used a wheel the odd one or two times I actually found them rather uncomfortable though I think that was more my position rather than equipment. I.e I always found my feet too inverted (if that’s the right word, if not upright).

I’ve only just graduated from using the directional buttons for steering and x and square for accelerate / brake.

What I feel I lack in the controller is control when correcting oversteer, but maybe that’s my reactions and control on the accelerator when trying to get on the gas early.
Switching from controller to a wheel is a night and day difference. At first, if you have no experience at all with a steering wheel, you will suck. I did at least. But for me, after a little while i was more confident and more competitive while playing.
That however doesn't make the wheel a mandatory option for playing racing games. In fact, gt sport is one sim(cade) racing game that can be enjoyed with a wheel or with a controller, but using a wheel enhances the overall experience.

I have no idea where this came from...I was struggling all day with sectors 3 and 4 while improving sectors 1 and 2 like clockwork. PB in all four sectors BUT, a very, very, VERY poor last sector to throw cold water on my excitement! :banghead::banghead:

I am finished today but will give it one more shot to clean up the last sector...:)

Thanks to all who have helped with the TT! :bowdown:

:cheers:

That first sector !

I’m the same, I think I probably put in best part of 100 laps today and just can’t string it all together. I found .15 seconds at the line and time in first 2 sectors but lost time compared to old lap in the next two. Thankfully last sector consistent ish.

A brilliant combo whoever suggested. And as predicted my excitement and enthusiasm was more than ability. I’ll give it another craic tomorrow and maybe it’ll all come together.

Thanks for all the help

Just been reading about the different wheels and pros and cons of each.

What a minefield! Some players suggesting controller is just as fast so need for a wheel. Must be a more fun experience though.

Don't know for GTSport but with gt5 and 6 the conttoller was just as fast as the wheel.
With the controller you just have to be more precise.
I allso got the illusion the wheel was faster and mafe the transittion when gt5 was released.
Took me 1 1/2 year and allmost 100.000 km to get back to pace.
Slow learner I guess:lol:

I have no idea where this came from...I was struggling all day with sectors 3 and 4 while improving sectors 1 and 2 like clockwork. PB in all four sectors BUT, a very, very, VERY poor last sector to throw cold water on my excitement! :banghead::banghead:

I am finished today but will give it one more shot to clean up the last sector...:)

Thanks to all who have helped with the TT! :bowdown:

:cheers:
Well done Larry! Wishing you all the best to clean up the last sector!

Last run on this one, couldn't beat my target but got relatively close to it, 5 tenths off optimal. I had seen some mad splits during this session but couldn't keep it together.

3 tenths at the line. Lap Submitted

Top combo, probably my favourite one yet, just couldn't get enough of it. Thanks to all for your hints and tips.

Did not get a chance to turn any laps on this all weekend so it took several laps today to get within 1 second of my best time. By the end of the session I set new PB in all sectors and managed a slight improvement. I'm still .7 off my theoretical best, would be elated if I could get within .5 seconds of it.

Last run on this one, couldn't beat my target but got relatively close to it, 5 tenths off optimal. I had seen some mad splits during this session but couldn't keep it together.

3 tenths at the line. Lap Submitted

Top combo, probably my favourite one yet, just couldn't get enough of it. Thanks to all for your hints and tips.
Nice improvement 👍.

Back