GTP_WRS Week 7 : Light, Tight and Just Right

• Thread starter EDK
  • 562 comments
Holy Twissy! James, did you put ACTUAL rocket fuel in that rocket?

@Twissy is making a mess of my sec/min calculation... If I take the "regular" aliens, things look pretty good so far, but James just make us all look quite amateur :bowdown: Nice job!

Can we just put him in Division A (for Alien) and let the rest of us got on with it ? :D

Gave it another go, pretty happy with my first sector, but still loosing to much in the second.... gonna give it a rest now. We will see what tomorrow brings.

1'11.938

Ok. I wasn't gonna. Cote d'Azur is and has always been my most hated track. But then I remembered something someone said on these Fora - go slow. So I decided to decrease power to 50% then I will increase power 10% as soon as I can comfortably and cleanly get a full lap, rinse and repeat untill I am at 100% power.

I like the car. I have since it took my around Willow Springs 8 laps in the Super Series.
So lets see if I can't come away from this TT with a decent Division 4 final result and less of a dislike for the track. 👍

After some puzzlement I realized viewing a replay in tt resets tyres. BB is not affected.

Oh I wasn't making a comment about you I ran 10 laps before realizing I was so far off the pace bc I had the sports hard on the car lol

I frequently have issues with the chicane at the bottom of the hill...I get to it, then my eyes drift to the left to see where I sat and ate lunch when I was younger...memories can be very distracting :lol:

Anyway, ran 20 laps this PM with TCS off. Was a bit concerned as my previous attempts with this car and no TCS ended in failure. Also changed the brake bias to 8/5 and....I seriously cannot believe the difference between TCS 0 and 1! ANd I can drive the car without spinning is even more unbelievable....though I still had a few moments but have yet to tip it at the hairpin so that's good :D

So, I managed to set new personal bests in every sector, split and full lap. This morning I thought going sub 14 for the S2 split would be tough and barely achievable....now I'm disappointed with a 13.6!! Full lap wise I have improved by over a second so, clearly, am delighted with my afternoon's work. My 2 PB's combined for a S2 split gives a 13.1 so have some work to do and I can definitely see a high 12. Sector 1 is fairly static time-wise and not sure I can get much more there....maybe a tenth.

I am having to relearn the track as the lines I always used before seem to be slower here even though they are the most logical....and finding where to apply the throttle is tricky as the car corners better on-throttle than off. I never thought turning off TCS on this car would lead to me having more fun in it....and feeling more in control. Wonders will never cease...actually they don't cease as I also set 2 identical S2 splits a couple of laps apart...right down to the .666 :eek::

S1: 27.731
S2: 1:13.665

1'12.633

I seem to be losing time somewhere in S2 compared to most everyone else. Anytips on getting through the corner before entering the tunnel? I always get sideways or too cautious and lose a bunch of time.

First 10 laps. Haven't spent much time on this track over my career. I think I like it tho.

1:13.488

Lots of room for improvement.

Also, the chicane at the bottom of the hill..are we allowed to cut the first corner as long as out inside tires don't contact the inside Tarmac?

Also, the chicane at the bottom of the hill..are we allowed to cut the first corner as long as out inside tires don't contact the inside Tarmac?

I'm posting this just to make sure I too understand what's clean and dirty here. This is my understanding (you can click to see them larger in my Flickr account):

This is CLEAN (wheel NOT overhanging the asphalt but completely on curb)

This is DIRTY (wheel overhanging asphalt, just to the inside of the curb)

Obviously not the same lap :D

I'm posting this just to make sure I too understand what's clean and dirty here. This is my understanding (you can click to see them larger in my Flickr account):

This is CLEAN (wheel NOT overhanging the asphalt but completely on curb)

This is DIRTY (wheel overhanging asphalt, just to the inside of the curb)

Obviously not the same lap :D

I thought that for the second one to be dirty the wheel had to be in contact with tarmac on the other side of the rumble. But I could be wrong.

The wording in the OP is quite ambiguous re the second pic:

Dirty Run - Some Contact Patch Over Inner Chicane Tarmac

Over means the tyre is not in FULLY in contact with the rumble. If you stop being fully in contact with the rumble on the right hand side, you're dirty. In this car, it's really not so bad.

Nothing ambiguous IMHO 👍

Last edited:
I thought that for the second one to be dirty the wheel had to be in contact with tarmac on the other side of the rumble. But I could be wrong.

It isn't ambiguous its just worded differently than you're used to. Its basically the same as the on-track ruling of any event - "tyres in contact, or vertically in line with..." - in this case, the tarmac inside the chicane curb.

It isn't ambiguous its just worded differently than you['re used to. Its basically the same as the on-track ruling of any event - "tyres in contact, or vertically in line with..." - in this case, the tarmac inside the chicane curb.

Okay.

Over means the tyre is not in contact with the rumble. If you stop being in contact with the rumble on the right hand side, you're dirty. In this car, it's really not so bad.

Nothing ambiguous IMHO 👍
No, it means if any part of the contact patch of the tyre is either touching or vertically in-line with the tarmac inside the rumble, its dirty. 👍

This one is dirty. 👍

No, it means if any part of the contact patch of the tyre is either touching or vertically in-line with the tarmac inside the rumble, its dirty. 👍

That is what I meant! :lol:

I suppose, though, that because the kerb is curved....you can go slightly over. I however wouldn't submit a lap in that case, it's not too hard to keep it firmly on that kerb.

It isn't ambiguous its just worded differently than you're used to. Its basically the same as the on-track ruling of any event - "tyres in contact, or vertically in line with..." - in this case, the tarmac inside the chicane curb.
I just treat the inside of the chicane as if it's a big fat piece of rock, and go round it :D. And, yeah it's really that easy :P

If there actually was a rock or wall having a tire vertically in-line over the tarmac would mean that tire bumped into an object/wall

Last edited:

I made both words and pictures, to be sure it's clear. If it's still not clear, I don't know what to tell you.

Took a while to get used to this one, as I haven't driven Monaco in ages, but it's definitely one of the few city tracks that I actually enjoy! First splits:

1'11.467

Had I taken part to the Focus TT, I probably wouldn't say this; but the Rocket is a bit more understeery than I remembered. First I tried to drive it like the Elise, but obviously it requires a slightly different approach. Nonetheless, it's a fun car to throw around a beautiful track like Monaco!

E: Also, using BB of 3/5 and ABS 2.

Back