GTP_WRS Week 83: Viper Waltz

• Thread starter roamer2629
  • 113 comments
EDK

This is my clean banker, will keep trying tomorrow.
Submitted these.

Did not improve yesterday, went to lunch with my wife and took the dog for a walk to our local pub. So by the time I got on I'd had enough beer to make me apathetic to the prospect of improving with a clean lap. :lol:

I'm leaving the door open for a Monday banzai run, but those usually don't work too well for me, especially following a 5 day break from action.

Looks like gear changes might be slightly faster with the 1.40 update:
Yeah, I saw that and hopped on to see how much of a difference there was. It felt like the car was slightly faster, but some of the speed might’ve just been natural progression from doing the combo more, so we’ll see.

Close in a couple places but clean. I’m tempted to do one more session because I know there’s more time to be squeezed out, but I’m pretty happy with this lap regardless.

Yeah, I saw that and hopped on to see how much of a difference there was. It felt like the car was slightly faster, but some of the speed might’ve just been natural progression from doing the combo more, so we’ll see.

Close in a couple places but clean. I’m tempted to do one more session because I know there’s more time to be squeezed out, but I’m pretty happy with this lap regardless.
So looks like it could have theoretically gained you a tenth in S1?

And maybe not....

Seems like some of the really slow cars like the first gen mx5 and the Toyota 86 road car benefitted from h pattern shifting, which is why they took h pattern/clutch away in sport mode.

I did not have the sense with this car that it had those really delayed upshifts like the cars I mentioned, among others.

So might be it's either a small effect or none.

I am not home, so can't test it. If it looks like a big deal, we can warn folks they may want to run again.

EDK
So looks like it could have theoretically gained you a tenth in S1?

And maybe not....

Seems like some of the really slow cars like the first gen mx5 and the Toyota 86 road car benefitted from h pattern shifting, which is why they took h pattern/clutch away in sport mode.

I did not have the sense with this car that it had those really delayed upshifts like the cars I mentioned, among others.

So might be it's either a small effect or none.

I am not home, so can't test it. If it looks like a big deal, we can warn folks they may want to run again.
I’m not sure the gain in S1 was a full tenth, but it wasn’t too far off that and definitely above half a tenth, definitely a noticeable difference. Over a whole lap the gain was around a tenth and a half, maybe two at most.

I think it has the potential to affect the leaderboard, but not a whole lot. As you mentioned it’s upshifts aren’t as slow as some other cars, so the effects of this change would be pretty small.

I’m not sure the gain in S1 was a full tenth, but it wasn’t too far off that and definitely above half a tenth, definitely a noticeable difference. Over a whole lap the gain was around a tenth and a half, maybe two at most.

I think it has the potential to affect the leaderboard, but not a whole lot. As you mentioned it’s upshifts aren’t as slow as some other cars, so the effects of this change would be pretty small.
That's my assesment too, about a tenth and a half over the whole lap. Anyone able to have another session should go for it.

I thought they had sped up the upshifts in H pattern cars in the last update? But now they’ve done it again. The Miata in race A shifts like it’s got paddles now, I didn’t get to try the Viper tonight though to compare.

Question on a similar note, what is the Optimal RPM to shift the Viper? I’ve been trying anywhere from 50% to 75% or the Bar but I still can’t figure out where the best shift point is. I always struggle with this in cars that don’t get shifted at the redline, so any info would be much appreciated. :cheers:

I thought they had sped up the upshifts in H pattern cars in the last update? But now they’ve done it again. The Miata in race A shifts like it’s got paddles now, I didn’t get to try the Viper tonight though to compare.

Question on a similar note, what is the Optimal RPM to shift the Viper? I’ve been trying anywhere from 50% to 75% or the Bar but I still can’t figure out where the best shift point is. I always struggle with this in cars that don’t get shifted at the redline, so any info would be much appreciated. :cheers:
I'm shifting between 60 and 70% too.

EDK
I think the middle of the gear number is about right, around 60%. 50% is a lot slower, while 75% is only marginally slower. I still let it wind out in 3rd leading up to the first left turn at end of T2.

Ah, so no quick upshift to 4th gear there eh? Thanks for the tip, I’d been going back and forth there not knowing which was better. :cheers:

Ah, so no quick upshift to 4th gear there eh? Thanks for the tip, I’d been going back and forth there not knowing which was better. :cheers:
I did a little of both, but it felt like a wasted upshift.

Main thing for me in that corner was to get up on entry rumble to optimize entry angle, and to make the apex curb because if you ride it, it pulls you around the corner.

Doubt i’ll get another shot at this, got loads on tomorrow, then at Oulton Park for the BTCC Sunday. I might get a bit of time Sunday night but depends how knackered i’ll be. Hopefully I can.

Sneaked a few laps in last night since the update but not anything significant to report! made half a tenth at the line but with a much slower T1 :banghead:
my best splits say I left .5 on track but they are not so easy to get for me, probably my final time this...

Great splits posted GL to all in the results :cheers:

Back