GTP_WRS Week 86 : Floor It!

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 128 comments
I have learnt 3 things today;

1. I have somehow never played this version of Monza that i know of.

2. This version of the track is a lot more fun than the modern circuit.

3. Throwing a classic Ferrari around these tight chicanes is an interesting balance between fun and frustration.

1:10.400

What's a good BB for a wheel user to start with I was running 9/7 its not bad but wondering what others are running if anyone else cares to share 👍

What's a good BB for a wheel user to start with I was running 9/7 its not bad but wondering what others are running if anyone else cares to share 👍
I'm using 3/6. The lower front helps to keep the cs tires from locking up, IMO.

I'm using 3/6. The lower front helps to keep the cs tires from locking up, IMO.
I'll give it a go. I'm usually really bad with setting the correct BB or even tuning in events.

I have learnt 3 things today;

1. I have somehow never played this version of Monza that i know of.

2. This version of the track is a lot more fun than the modern circuit.

3. Throwing a classic Ferrari around these tight chicanes is an interesting balance between fun and frustration.

I take it you haven't tried the final section of the Senna events? One of the tracks is the Monza 80s configuration. I agree that it is better than the modern iteration....wider track through Curva Grande and the Lesmos allows more speed (not that you'd know it for looking at my times :lol:).

I have found that throwing the Ferrari around those chicanes is infinitely more frustrating than fun...wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the game's track limits rules which deems having 2 wheels either side of a kerb as invalid (giving a red lap) when, by WRS rules, it is perfectly valid (kerbs being part of the track etc)....frequently we will run laps elsewhere with 2 wheels on the kerb and 2 wheels in the dirt (the Apricot final chicane for one instance) but, here, you have to keep 2 wheels on the tarmac or else you risk invalidating the lap. Yesterday, I ran about 40 laps and I think about 30 of them were red laps

1'06.920

jkkjklj.gif~c200

1'06.920

jkkjklj.gif~c200
Bambi going counter-clockwise on a clockwise track. :crazy: Nice splits! :cheers:

I take it you haven't tried the final section of the Senna events? One of the tracks is the Monza 80s configuration. I agree that it is better than the modern iteration....wider track through Curva Grande and the Lesmos allows more speed (not that you'd know it for looking at my times :lol:).

I have found that throwing the Ferrari around those chicanes is infinitely more frustrating than fun...wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the game's track limits rules which deems having 2 wheels either side of a kerb as invalid (giving a red lap) when, by WRS rules, it is perfectly valid (kerbs being part of the track etc)....frequently we will run laps elsewhere with 2 wheels on the kerb and 2 wheels in the dirt (the Apricot final chicane for one instance) but, here, you have to keep 2 wheels on the tarmac or else you risk invalidating the lap. Yesterday, I ran about 40 laps and I think about 30 of them were red laps
We expected some frustration on the chicanes, but compared to the current Monza, where the limits are very lax, and we have to rely on replay checks to verify cleanliness, I'd prefer 80's.

Here's some pics of non-red-lapped excursions:

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_13.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_14.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_15.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_16.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_17.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_18.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_19.jpg

And lastly, some splits, from the above lap. Looking for about 1sec through T2, and a better launch out of Ascari.

I've had countless laps red flagged at the 'first' chicane that made me want to cry. Car sounds fantastic down the straights in replays though.
Used brake balance 4/7 for latest PB

1:08.067

@Gravitron Yeah, it's just highly frustrating to know that on 99% of tracks, things that get red-lapped on this track would not elsewhere....as I pointed out, we can almost have the entire car in the sand at Apricot chicane and it is fine but, here, having 2 wheels on the kerb is red-lapped (presumably because the car was like a centimetre over the white line). To be honest, I think I am just getting more frustrated than usual as last week pushed me to my limits of frustration due to my own lack of consistency and the seeming lack of braking consistency from the car

Bambi going counter-clockwise on a clockwise track. :crazy: Nice splits! :cheers:
I've been watching too much NASCAR for my own good. :lol: Is it bad I squealed like an exited schoolgirl when I ran that lap? :nervous:

Also, how close is everyone getting to the barrier turning in for the first chicane? :mischievous:

It's the limits on the 3rd chicane (after the first long right hander) that is frustrating me the most, get a really nice little tail slide through the left and set it up nicely for the right and with only 1 tyre over the kerb it still red flags!

It was even more frustrating before i re-read the rules because i thought all tyres had to be on the track to be valid (my first try was Tokyo so haven't experienced a GTP time trial where there was a possibility of grass invalidating.

I've been watching too much NASCAR for my own good. :lol: Is it bad I squealed like an exited schoolgirl when I ran that lap? :nervous:

Also, how close is everyone getting to the barrier turning in for the first chicane? :mischievous:
I don't dare try and get any closer. As we all know now,two outside wheels on the rumble is a red lap:grumpy: They must have been a lot stricter with penalities back in the 80's.

First splits
1:07.617
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s.jpg

How do you guys take the flat out long right turn? Does anything change between sticking to the interior and waiting at the exterior to cut in?

Tried different brake bias levels today but settled back on 3/7 as that seems to be the best for me. Had the usual session of red laps with the odd clean lap every now and again...managed to improve by two tenths at the line in an early lap and thought that was it until I, somehow, managed to get a decent first sector in and beat the time by a further 3 tenths....would have been much more but for an average middle and last sector. Still, given I didn't feel any improvement would happen, I can't really complain, even if the time is still pretty poor:

S1: 31.424
S2: 1:08.791

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm surprised my first chicane didn't get red-lapped, looking at the picture. These were taken from my iPhone so pardon the bad quality. :dopey:

GTO.jpg

Got red lapped for this @_@

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_5pTuBoJdckaoe9B4wR_0.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_5pTuBoJdckaoe9B4wR_0.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
1 hour of practice really passes fast. I'm still getting used to not having 4 hours minimum per day during the holidays :lol:

Edit: I have a question: why on my screen CRT_Apex doesn't appear on the splits leaderboard of Week 82: Fujiception but appears in the results? Also I'm pretty sure the track map for this current week is wrong (No Chicanes version instead of 80's)

Last edited:
Submitting splits is optional, but encouraged. I believe CRT_Apex chose not to submit splits that week. @Ed_Night didn't submit splits last week. It happens.

As for the track map, yes, it's wrong. Our graphics expert isn't with us anymore, so if someone wants to make an 80's version, I can get it uploaded to the LB.

Submitting splits is optional, but encouraged. I believe CRT_Apex chose not to submit splits that week. @Ed_Night didn't submit splits last week. It happens.

As for the track map, yes, it's wrong. Our graphics expert isn't with us anymore, so if someone wants to make an 80's version, I can get it uploaded to the LB.
@Vitessekid apex isn't showing up because he submitted a lap without posting his split times in the thread.

Ok, I thought it was an obligation. @Gravitron working on it, will edit this post with the image when it's done (if it's nice, if not I will edit this text out :lol:)

Done!

Last edited:
Back