GTP_WRS Week 86 : Floor It!

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 128 comments
I haven't been able to get within half a second of my PB for days, then, yesterday I managed to get within three tenths. Feeling slight encouragement my first lap got me within a tenth.
Changed the brake balance to 8/10 and got to T2 split a tenth down on my overall best and picked up 3 tenths at the line

1:08.184

@Vitessekid That's happened to all of us at some point or another....a few weeks ago, I did a fast "dirty" lap but decided to keep going with the session and use the ghost to chase and ended up beating my previous best lap 3 times but not the ghost so I lost all 3 better laps. I learned my lesson after that and I frequently will stop the session if I run a quicker lap just in case

@8l23ub Looks like you have me comprehensively beaten this week :bowdown: Not sure I am going to be able to bridge that half second gap to the second split, much less the gap at the end of the lap....at least we have got out of that 2 tenths of a second routine :lol:

My previous splits I posted here will be the last from me for a while. I'm taking a break from online racing and time trials, because of... reasons. Good luck to you all.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll be back competing soon. :)

My previous splits I posted here will be the last from me for a while. I'm taking a break from online racing and time trials, because of... reasons. Good luck to you all.

Meh...pesky reasons, they always get in the way :banghead: Hope to see you back soon and that the reasons aren't too bad :)

In my sessions I reached Lesmo 1 quite seldom. That's where I think I made this rudimentary lap.

That has to go down as one of the most frustrating and yet ultimately rewarding sessions I have ever had :crazy:

Started off with 19 laps of mediocrity, unable to get within a tenth of my ghost....on lap 20, I set a PB in sector 1 followed by a PB in sector 2 resulting in my first incursion under sixty eight seconds for the split...then the unthinkable happens:

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s.jpg

Yep...a perfectly valid line that the game red-lapped on me costing a lap time improvement of nearly 7 tenths :banghead:

Considered giving up there and then but, after a short break, decided the game won't beat me. Several laps later managed a new PB sector 1 and average last 2 sectors for a 3 tenths gain at the line....figured I was done at that point but I never know when to quit.

On my final run of several laps before I called it a day.....smashed my sector 1 PB by a mile to finally break into the 30s.....followed by a near PB sector 2..and a slightly better than average sector 3 to give me over 7 tenths at the line :eek: So, after all the frsutrations, I still ended the day with a lap over a second quicker than what I finished yesterday with....suffice to say, I ended the session with a smile on my face. Here is the main reason why I improved sector 1 so much as I have never been that close to the hoardings before on a clean lap:

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_1.jpg

Obviously, I've submitted the lap as am not expecting to beat that before the deadline:

S1: 30.883
S2: 1:07.633

That has to go down as one of the most frustrating and yet ultimately rewarding sessions I have ever had :crazy:

Started off with 19 laps of mediocrity, unable to get within a tenth of my ghost....on lap 20, I set a PB in sector 1 followed by a PB in sector 2 resulting in my first incursion under sixty eight seconds for the split...then the unthinkable happens:

View attachment 445787

Yep...a perfectly valid line that the game red-lapped on me costing a lap time improvement of nearly 7 tenths :banghead:

Considered giving up there and then but, after a short break, decided the game won't beat me. Several laps later managed a new PB sector 1 and average last 2 sectors for a 3 tenths gain at the line....figured I was done at that point but I never know when to quit.

On my final run of several laps before I called it a day.....smashed my sector 1 PB by a mile to finally break into the 30s.....followed by a near PB sector 2..and a slightly better than average sector 3 to give me over 7 tenths at the line :eek: So, after all the frsutrations, I still ended the day with a lap over a second quicker than what I finished yesterday with....suffice to say, I ended the session with a smile on my face. Here is the main reason why I improved sector 1 so much as I have never been that close to the hoardings before on a clean lap:

View attachment 445789

Obviously, I've submitted the lap as am not expecting to beat that before the deadline:

S1: 30.883
S2: 1:07.633
I think the 1st corner is the only corner where you can cut 2 wheels on the apex, so don't limit yourself to do so as it gives a good set up for turn 2 which gives a good set up for turn 3 which gives a good set up for turn 4 to give you a superb exit and that's where you gain lots of time. It takes about 5 tries for me everyday to get back into the rhythm for the double chicanes, and once I do it once, the rest of the night I manage to do it. 👍

1'09.031

Not the best splits, but it seems I'm just getting slower with every attempt to get faster (not to mention a gazzilion restarts.

As soon as more then 2 tires are inside or completely on the white line it's red-flagged. Thats the real-life FIA rule that applies here.

That would be fine if the game was written to apply that rule everywhere....but, much like F1, it seems that there are different rules for different corners. If the limits were as strict as they are on this track, on every track, then I would be fine...it's just annoying that you have to keep 2 wheels inside the white line there whereas turn 1 for example allows you to cross the white line (as shown in the second picture I posted)....and after the third chicane, I can go completely past the white lines and not get red-lapped.

It seems that whoever programmed track limits into the game is an avid F1 fan and decided to bring that annoying part of the sport in :banghead: Mind you, F1 isn't even the worst for track limit inconsistency....watching the Blancpain series at Paul Ricard was mind-boggling with them being allowed to drive a good 10-15 metres off track after the long straight and the stewards being fine with it

@8l23ub I see we are back to the 2 tenths difference between us again :lol: Nice improvement....it's just that sector 1 that I pulled out of nowhere that is the difference between us

Last edited:
I just checked my lap and then I've seen this (at the exit of Lesmo). I'm not sure whether that is clean?

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80er_1.jpg

I just checked my lap and then I've seen this (at the exit of Lesmo). I'm not sure whether that is clean?

View attachment 446347
Sorry, that's dirty. The edge there is the tiny bit of tarmac between the white line and the cobbles that you're on.

Apologies for that not be explicitly stated in the OP (due to the example pics being from the modern Monza from GT5).

I don't think I'm going to be able to run any more laps. Submitted with current splits. Good luck everyone.

had a few short stints throughout the week, haven't had the time to post time until now. (been like the white rabbit in wonderland).

1'07.658

BB 2/7.

Found out a new thing this week that has helped, by slowly going down through the gears instead of knocking it down to the desired gear for the corner I've been able to break later and keep the car under control better.

Got until the deadline to try to improve fingers crossed and good luck all. See ya's at the EU race :gtpflag:

p.s. some brilliant times at the top guys :bowdown:

had a few short stints throughout the week, haven't had the time to post time until now. (been like the white rabbit in wonderland).

1'07.658

BB 2/7.

Found out a new thing this week that has helped, by slowly going down through the gears instead of knocking it down to the desired gear for the corner I've been able to break later and keep the car under control better.

Got until the deadline to try to improve fingers crossed and good luck all. See ya's at the EU race :gtpflag:

p.s. some brilliant times at the top guys :bowdown:
As I'm only 13 I can't test this for myself, but IRL when you knock down the gears all the way it should be giving more engine brake right?

Back