GTP_WRS Week 90: Taking Flight

• Thread starter roamer2629
  • 121 comments
I brake once I go past an access road on the left hand side as you're heading down. I think it's the 2nd one.. but for me that seems to work well. Might depend on how fast you're going as to the change in point?

I brake once I go past an access road on the left hand side as you're heading down. I think it's the 2nd one.. but for me that seems to work well. Might depend on how fast you're going as to the change in point?
The sign on the fence is a good reference to start thinking about braking. And that road is for sure the spot to look for. 👍

Horrible first sector but a good third one.
I don't know how many km's I have driven on this track (in totall) and still the braking point at the straight is not clear.
Seems to feel different every lap.
I blame the view I use.
Allmost 2 tenth left in that first sector.
Next attemp tomorrow.
:cheers:
I agree that one lap the spot you brake seems fine, and the next leaves you late. Both turn 1 and the chicane, frustrating.

Well my current splits are from after about 150km, now hundreds of kilometers later I manage to improve half a tenth :lol:
Still several tenths off ideal, slower splits are off a tenth in sector 1 and two tenths in sector 2, but better last sector, ya know this combo really does not encourage ideal laps :dopey:

EDK
Like I said before, I was sure you crushed my last sector. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed this one, I was happy to be in the rare air on the board for a bit.

I have individual sectors to compete here, but can rarely put them together.

What I’m trying to say is. Is your spilts are that much slower but you improved your lap. Your last sector must be pretty good specially if you improved you lap before by half a sec. who ever got the fastest last sector.

About the heavy breaking point. They changes a bit lap by be cause your exit out of the corner before isn’t the same every time. It’s really hard to duplicate the the same exit every time with this combo. In my second best lap I thought I mailed the exit of the last corner. But I destroyed it with my best lap. Different lines in the last corner makes a big difference also for the exit. You can take a wide line into the last corner which I tried to do for a faster and and slightly easier exit. Or a tight line. Tried the tide line a few time and gained in that short part about .3 to .5 but a good exit was so much harder that the advantage was gone in a blink of a eye. But you could brake a little later for first corner with that tighter line (or with a poor exit).

Thought I’d hop in on this discussion real quick. In my view there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit conservative with my braking point when I’m dealing with a heavy braking zone if it keeps me from wasting a decent lap, even if I lose a small amount of time. That usually changes by the end of the week because then I need all the time I can get to improve, but I think for the most part being a little conservative is worth it for the consistency.

Nice battle at the top this week. :cheers:

Well my current splits are from after about 150km, now hundreds of kilometers later I manage to improve half a tenth :lol:
Still several tenths off ideal, slower splits are off a tenth in sector 1 and two tenths in sector 2, but better last sector, ya know this combo really does not encourage ideal laps :dopey:

Only 150 km?
:bowdown:

That's the amount I have to run before the game begins :lol:
Most of the times I run a decent lap (at least I thought I did) within that milage.
Then the journey begins,and I know from experience it'll take me at least 4 or 500 km's to improve.
After that the "sector syndrome' appears (I allways call it that way)
For a period I run consistent fast particular sectors and others just won't run.
Good chance it will be the other way around couple of days later.
I allmost knew for sure this past week I would end up with slower splits at the board and a faster lap.
It's the knowledge that there's still 0,19 in the first and 0,05 left in the second sector which keeps me runnin'

As for the braking thingy,I just can't brake.Yeah I know the theory about lifting brake whilst steering and occaisonally I can manage that.
You'll feel it right away when you're doing the job right.
But it requires sense of speed and that's what I'm missing at the moment.

Good luck all

Finishing off my run with these times. none of them were even my best sectors of the night, they were all just strung together well. I kept just getting ahead, and then make a tiny mistake and it's all you need lol. Funny when you're watching the replay it's such a different perspective lol

Yeah a nice close battle guys! GL to all in the results :cheers:

For the record if anyone wants a laugh? Our dog tripped me up halfway down the stairs about a week ago and I pulled my back quite bad when I hit the wall at the bottom of the stairs... so my GT time was put on hold for a few days Thanks to Max the blind old mutt 👎:irked:

I am feeling much better now and have an unwritten agreement with the dog that when he is on the stairs I stay clear!! :lol:

For the record if anyone wants a laugh? Our dog tripped me up halfway down the stairs about a week ago and I pulled my back quite bad when I hit the wall at the bottom of the stairs... so my GT time was put on hold for a few days Thanks to Max the blind old mutt 👎:irked:

I am feeling much better now and have an unwritten agreement with the dog that when he is on the stairs I stay clear!! :lol:

Dude :lol: sounds like you both need that policy lol

Spun about 30 laps in the '11 and got to about 3 tenths off where i would like. Not sure if I'll submit tbh probably depends what time i get home tonight. But man that car is just slide slide slide on entry and then tonnes of grip on exit??? :confused:

Dude :lol: sounds like you both need that policy lol

Spun about 30 laps in the '11 and got to about 3 tenths off where i would like. Not sure if I'll submit tbh probably depends what time i get home tonight. But man that car is just slide slide slide on entry and then tonnes of grip on exit??? :confused:
I think you hit it when you said that you were not a fan of this car type on GT Sport.

It's a big open track and we went looking for a fast road car to use here. Many of them have bizarre characteristics, this one was "acceptable", while many of them were "horrible".

I prefer we use the range of what's available on the game, within reason.

I used BB-3 on my submitted lap, I found that helps to get the car turned in, with some trail braking. I use second gear in turn 1, the chicane entry, and sometimes in the next to last turn when the car does not want to rotate in there. It turns a lot better in 2nd, but it creates an awkward shift and I think 3rd is better for exits when you can make it work.

EDK
I think you hit it when you said that you were not a fan of this car type on GT Sport.

It's a big open track and we went looking for a fast road car to use here. Many of them have bizarre characteristics, this one was "acceptable", while many of them were "horrible".

I prefer we use the range of what's available on the game, within reason.

I used BB-3 on my submitted lap, I found that helps to get the car turned in, with some trail braking. I use second gear in turn 1, the chicane entry, and sometimes in the next to last turn when the car does not want to rotate in there. It turns a lot better in 2nd, but it creates an awkward shift and I think 3rd is better for exits when you can make it work.

Sorry @EDK wasn't a criticism of the combination at all!
If we only used the perfect handling cars in the game it would get pretty stale - and we wouldn't get better at adapting our driving style either.

Maybe i didn't word it very well, i was more trying to explain why i was struggling to get my optimum together and it was becuase i haven't adapted as fast as i should and on better laps forget to adjust for the entry slide thats all :)

Sorry @EDK wasn't a criticism of the combination at all!
If we only used the perfect handling cars in the game it would get pretty stale - and we wouldn't get better at adapting our driving style either.

Maybe i didn't word it very well, i was more trying to explain why i was struggling to get my optimum together and it was becuase i haven't adapted as fast as i should and on better laps forget to adjust for the entry slide thats all :)
I didn't take it that way, it's just a reality of dealing with the car. When I tested it, it clicked right away. But when you start pushing it, the car has some strange habits.

Was more agreeing with you, while sharing how I try and make up for the deficiencies.

I found with this car BB-2 worked best for me, I tried from -3 to +3 though. I only used 2nd on the 2 hairpins, you really have to ease into the throttle while in 2nd gear but once you get about half way through the gear you can hammer down. I was dropping to 3rd for T3 as well, I found it helped with not going wide on exit. Braking for T1 I was starting to brake just before the last road on the left, then trailing into the corner, same for the second hairpin, brake before the overhead sign/time marker thingy. :)

Well, I'm not used to driving without TCS on at all on these types of cars, but I gave it a go with this one. It took me a while to get the hang of it, I think maybe 10 + laps to start getting back to the times I was having before. As I mentioned earlier, my submitted lap isn't optimal, none of my sectors were the best, they were just all strung together well. In saying that, it was more fun without the aids on, and felt like I had more control of the vehicle.

Agreed, that if every week was just grippy cars, things would get boring... bring on the challenges - this one for sure has made me a better racer.

Great times out there, and as it's been said, quite close times. I am looking forward to seeing some replays to see others lines.

Last edited:
Funnily enough as well, there was a discussion in regards to the ghost car and being annoying - I prefer to race with it on, and this week it actually helped push me to go faster and faster... I do a lot of the 'Daily Races' and really like the online racing side of things, so with the ghost there, it's a little like that haha.

Unfortunately being at the bottom of the world, it's not easy for me to find like minded people who race in a league in my time zone. So doing these time trials are a good way to compete :)

Submitted with these splits.
Finally getting the hang a bit of the brake thing.
BB at the back gives more stability but less brake power.
Have to brake way more early but makes the steering more precise
BB at the front gives more power (and tire squeel)
Apparently it did well in the last sector.

Guys i am so sorry, just checked my lap a second time and spotted an infringement - is it too late to un submit?

Edit - Ran the lap at 11:55ish pm over here so honestly my check was too quick as i smashed my pb, submitted before the deadline and then re checked and spotted a very close call that imo was just outside of track limits, so i have messaged fetchy to remove submission but this was done just after the deadline, really hope it hasn't interfered with any results :ouch::ouch:

Last edited:
Guys i am so sorry, just checked my lap a second time and spotted an infringement - is it too late to un submit?

Edit - Ran the lap at 11:55ish pm over here so honestly my check was too quick as i smashed my pb, submitted before the deadline and then re checked and spotted a very close call that imo was just outside of track limits, so i have messaged fetchy to remove submission but this was done just after the deadline, really hope it hasn't interfered with any results :ouch::ouch:
The deadline is in 30 mins, we use GMT, which means it does not follow summer time.

I do not see a submission in the board for you, so I assume you were successful in removing it via PM?

Edit: I removed your splits.

EDK
The deadline is in 30 mins, we use GMT, which means it does not follow summer time.

I do not see a submission in the board for you, so I assume you were successful in removing it via PM?

Edit: I removed your splits.

🤬 :lol: seriously kicking myself, i was running super consistent in the first two sectors and just making errors at the end, i had another 30 minutes to go :odd:

Ah well, just glad i didnt mess the results up and yes managed to remove the submission @EDK

Finally figured out how to drive the car in that last session atleast, started to really enjoy it in all honesty, wish i had been home earlier this week to get a lap in, was able to be really consistent in it at the end there... bb-2 definitely helped like you mentioned

Back