GTPDC Judging Rules( Judges wanted/Training Avaliable)

• Thread starter nk4e
  • 155 comments
United States
United States
nk4e
GTP Rules for Competition
Each qualifying run is judged on four (4) criteria: Speed, Line, Angle, and Overall Impression.

Speed is a combination of the entry speed on the first corner as well as the amount of speed the driver is able to carry through the entire course. Drivers are encouraged to drive as fast as they can through the entire course, not just the entry point. Maximum points are awarded for fast entries and consistent speed through the entire course.

Line is the ideal path a vehicle must take on course and is marked by Inner Clipping Points, Outer Clipping Points, and Transition Zones. Inner Clipping Point are reference points on the course where the vehicle’s front bumper should come as close as possible to the reference point. Outer Clipping Points are also reference points and scored by determining how close the corner of the vehicle’s rear bumper comes to the point. Transition Zones are areas on track where the direction of the line changes and vehicles must change the direction of their drift. Scoring will be based on the execution of the transition. The drift line will be given during the drivers’ meeting.

Angle measures the amount of counter-steer and relative rear slip angle a driver uses through the course.

Overall Impression is the general feel of the pass and how well the other three criteria were executed through the entirety of the lap. This is the most subjective criteria and judges will look for the most “excitement” that the driver can bring.

Drivers should be able to demonstrate full control of the car at all time. All drivers start with 100 point and receive deductions through the run if they fail to meet the strict guidelines outlined by the judges during the drivers' meeting. Each of three (3) judges gives a score out of 100 possible points, and the three scores are averaged for each lap. The highest score for each driver is the one that is counted. Spins, major under-steer or push, or having two (2) tires off-course at any point during the pass results in an automatic zero (0) score.

Tandem Elimination Rounds
Tandem round are based on two (2) runs, in Head-to-Head format, with competitors paired up based on seeding position. The higher qualifier will lead the first run and the second led by the lower qualifier. The critical success factor is for the lead car to be able to run the course without error while being pressured by the following car. The following car is to try and “out drive” the lead car. Driver consistency during a tandem battle is critical. Lead Car must be able to clear the course without making any errors due to distraction or pressure by the following car. Following Car needs to run the same basic line as the lead car but may also take a higher line in order to pressure the lead driver. Taking a lower line than the lead car will result in a loss of advantage. If the lead car is off line, the following car will gain advantage points by staying on the correct line. The following car should keep as close to the lead car as possible to gain the advantage. Passing is not encouraged during tandem battles. Passing is only allowed if the lead car fumbles, is well off line or loses drift. Passing must be executed in a safe and professional manner. A safe pass is one that is done in such a way that the car being passed does not lose any speed after the pass is complete. Passing must be done while in drift, without the interrupting the line of the car being passed and in the proper line. If a pass results in contact, the passing car may be penalized. Collisions occur during tandem battle and in the event of contact, the driver at fault will lose advantage points. Incidental contact is allowed but not encouraged. Drivers are required to complete the entire course, even if the other driver crashes, hits, spins, stalls or is not able to complete the run. Drivers are always being judged as long as they are on course. Pace Zone can be marked with a cone or comparable marker and may be placed on the starting straightaway to keep the Tandem Battles fair and close together. The use of a Pace Zone will be specified during the drivers’ meetings. Tandem Scoring will be observed by the (3) judges during the head-to-head battle. There will be no declaration of scores between the two runs. At the conclusion of the head-to-head battle, each judge will individually declare a winner. Judges will select from three options:

1. Driver “A” wins
2. Driver “B” wins
3. “Tie”

The majority will rule a winner will be decided. In the event there is no clear majority, a “One More Time” will be granted, and the competitors will begin another 2-run head-to-head battle. Multiple “One More Times” may be necessary to determine a winner. All judging will be done from the judging tower. If a clipping point is not visible from the judging tower, a flag system may be used to communicate whether a driver properly scores the clipping point.
===============
Preferably tire of choice : Comfort Hards
(If you think it is a problem, we can try to discuss it like intelligent people and I will open the thread again)

------------------------
Current GTP Panel of Judging for GTPDC's
Head Judge:
TwinturboCH ( currently inactive)
Thio

Panel of Judges:
MrDinosaw94(inactive)
Stavingo (inactive)
Mysterious R(Withdraw because of personal reasons)
Open
Open
Open
Open
and lastly...
Open
In Training If they have judged your battle, please inform me privately how it went.
3spddrft
Willfred_1
eddyac ( 1positive/ 1 negative)
AyJay
Mtnfc3s (2 positive)

Last edited:
Formula-D judgin all the way. :)

I have been a professional drift judge for nearly three years now and judge at events accross europe, and my input would be that it's the only way to go.

With the increase in standards and competitions getting harder and harder fought, we have had to find ways to make judging more accountable and give drivers more strictly set guidance on what is required.

As a result, most competitions over here now use the Formula-D judging system, as it awards scores for four criteria: speed, angle, line, style, and as a result, has made it easier for the judges to seperate the good from the awesome in a way that is defensible if someone questions the scoring.

Anyway, sounds like it'll be really good, I can't wait for the comps to start :D

I'll sticky this, nk4e, if you think you can stay on top of it, and update the first post with new ideas/rule changes/etc...

There will be official competitions coming up soon, no doubt, and an official GTP scoring system based off the old GTPDC (amalgamated with the Formula D system) is warranted.

;)

Since we are not restricted to three judges like we are in real life, my suggestion would be for each judge to give a total score out of 100, which must also be broken down into declared scores for each of the criteria e.g. 25 for angle, 25 for line, 20 for speed and 30 for overall impression/style. Speed should always count for slightly less as it is the least variable of all the criteria and the differences will, in general, be minimal. There is no need for a score for 'time' as, essentially, speed and time are the same thing.

Just my thoughts :)

I'll sticky this, nk4e, if you think you can stay on top of it, and update the first post with new ideas/rule changes/etc...
Will stay on top of it as best of my ability.
Formula-D judgin all the way. :)

I have been a professional drift judge for nearly three years now and judge at events accross europe, and my input would be that it's the only way to go.
Good to know that you were on a officially a panel, I can't wait to see your videos (^^) though thats another vote for the FD system
Since we are not restricted to three judges like we are in real life, my suggestion would be for each judge to give a total score out of 100, which must also be broken down into declared scores for each of the criteria e.g. 25 for angle, 25 for line, 20 for speed and 30 for overall impression/style. Speed should always count for slightly less as it is the least variable of all the criteria and the differences will, in general, be minimal. There is no need for a score for 'time' as, essentially, speed and time are the same thing.

Why 100? We did our out of 10(control),10(style),5(smoke), and 10(angle). Back then we had to send in videos but now we have our online racing lobbies. Which also means that we have to a good panel of judges ( consist of 3-6 members) that can do this on their free time. Back then you were given week to turn in your scores of the video. Also, Spectator mode is a good method to actually watch these things.

Why 100? We did our out of 10(control),10(style),5(smoke), and 10(angle). Back then we had to send in videos but now we have our online racing lobbies. Which also means that we have to a good panel of judges ( consist of 3-6 members) that can do this on their free time. Back then you were given week to turn in your scores of the video. Also, Spectator mode is a good method to actually watch these things.
Because it gives a greater scale of judgement. Scoring out of 10 does not give enough room to differentiate, especially as standards increase. :)

Also. what you have defined as 'control' should fall under the remit of angle. If there is some form of correction or shakiness, this is a reduction in their angle score as the angle is not smooth and flowing, and realistically, smoke comes under style, as it's dictated by how heavy you are onthe throttle, which should be part of overall style, hence speed, angle, line and style :)

Last edited:
Yeah hi ,
could you possibly post the link so we can register as I can't click on the link

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Why 100? We did our out of 10(control),10(style),5(smoke), and 10(angle)

If this is the same TwinturboCH as on Driftworks.com then I really don't think he needs questioning! :sly: Lol!

I'm all for going a true to life as possible too. People much more qualified than most of us have gone through the trouble of writing up some airtight rules and judging criteria for national and international drift competions, it seems silly not to use them as at least a starting point for our own set! :)

By the way, I forgot, my thoughts would be to do Fourmula D .. x

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it gives a greater scale of judgement. Scoring out of 10 does not give enough room to differentiate, especially as standards increase. :)

Also. what you have defined as 'control' should fall under the remit of angle. If there is some form of correction or shakiness, this is a reduction in their angle score as the angle is not smooth and flowing, and realistically, smoke comes under style, as it's dictated by how heavy you are onthe throttle, which should be part of overall style, hence speed, angle, line and style :)

Control, to me was how the tire was going left to right. More it was shaking, the more control you were of the drift. Though you could have the same angle and not really be in control. It was also why we had the G bar \in it. I always used it to measure out how much control a person has during the drift.

If this is the same TwinturboCH as on Driftworks.com then I really don't think he needs questioning! :sly: Lol!

I'm all for going a true to life as possible too. People much more qualified than most of us have gone through the trouble of writing up some airtight rules and judging criteria for national and international drift competions, it seems silly not to use them as at least a starting point for our own set! :)
I never signed up for Driftworks.

Last edited:
I never signed up for Driftworks.

It's Europe's biggest drift community, where TwinturboCH is also a member. He's a well respected member there who boths drifts and judges for the JDM Allstars series (IIRC), which is one of the best in Europe. Just saying that he is more than qualified to comment on the rules here :)

Control, to me was how the tire was going left to right. More it was shaking, the more control you were of the drift. Though you could have the same angle and not really be in control. It was also why we had the G bar \in it. I always used it to measure out how much control a person has during the drift.
So you're saying control is how the front wheel is moving in the arch? That's 'angle' lol It should always be moving fluidly, any shakiness in the front wheel implies angle has varied, which means the angle score drops. Angle is not just judged as the extreme limit of what you achieve, it's the overall angle, smoothness and aggression in transition, and consistancy, i.e. being able to throw the car from totally straight to the lock stops in the minimum possible time and holding it there. If the angle is shaky, if the front wheels move, if the transition is slow, the ANGLE score is affected. Control IS angle :)

LOL my reputation preceeds me haha Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :)

Good thing! 👍
I recognised your username from Driftworks because I remember a discussion about what the CH stands for! Haha. I have a nack of remembering pretty pointless bits of information!

So you're saying control is how the front wheel is moving in the arch? That's 'angle' lol It should always be moving fluidly, any shakiness in the front wheel implies angle has varied, which means the angle score drops. Angle is not just judged as the extreme limit of what you achieve, it's the overall angle, smoothness and aggression in transition, and consistancy, i.e. being able to throw the car from totally straight to the lock stops in the minimum possible time and holding it there. If the angle is shaky, if the front wheels move, if the transition is slow, the ANGLE score is affected. Control IS angle :)

I agree. The old GTPDC system needs some tweaks to mirror real life judging criteria. Especially as the game's physics (and graphics) have improved to such a degree to warrant such.

Speed/Angle/Line/Style has always been my preferred criteria. GT5 is finally at a point where realistic rules/criteria can be applied accurately.

;)

Good thing! 👍
I recognised your username from Driftworks because I remember a discussion about what the CH stands for! Haha. I have a nack of remembering pretty pointless bits of information!

LOL So do you remember what the CH stands for? ;)

I agree. The old GTPDC system needs some tweaks to mirror real life judging criteria. Especially as the game's physics (and graphics) have improved to such a degree to warrant such.

Speed/Angle/Line/Style has always been my preferred criteria. GT5 is finally at a point where realistic rules/criteria can be applied accurately.

;)

Exactly, GT5 has moved on, just as real world drifting has evolved, the rules and criteria need to change to reflect that :)

LOL So do you remember what the CH stands for? ;)

Of course, CH is to Switzerland as GB is to Great Britain. My username is Bradders3535 over there :)

Back on topic, and this may be a little controversial as it is in real life, but what about using the telemetry data as a drift box kinda thing? I haven't really played around with it too much, so I'm not sure what it's possibilities would be.

Of course, CH is to Switzerland as GB is to Great Britain. My username is Bradders3535 over there :)

Back on topic, and this may be a little controversial as it is in real life, but what about using the telemetry data as a drift box kinda thing? I haven't really played around with it too much, so I'm not sure what it's possibilities would be.

I will do some playing around with that tonight, and see what (if any) can be utilized for GTPDC scoring purposes.

;)

I always followed that criteria at the time but it would of changed if I actually led throughout the years.

Any last takers on the rules? So far we are going by:

That's about it really. I'm kinda iffy about speed due to corolla lovers, but they'll be fine.

That's about it really. I'm kinda iffy about speed due to corolla lovers, but they'll be fine.

Yes, but then they suffer the same issues as in real life, i.e. lower angle due to less power ;) The whole point is that it is a balance of all the various requirements. :)

Sweet! Didn't see this until now!

I'm completely happy with the rules anyway. I wouldnt worry about the AE86 or other lower powered cars as they will be normally judged taking the power or the car into account.

It's only that when it comes to twin-battles that you may be at a disadvantage but in saying that there is a guy over here that drifts a 20v AE86 with about 200-250bhp (nos at WOT) that is well able to keep up with the s-bodies.

All depends on track too to be fair, if we are running championships the lower powered cars will be well able to cut it at the likes of Tsukaba and Autumn 'Ring. I was able to stay in the door of a S15 last night with just a 200bhp 2002 so its more skill and use of a good line rather than just big power and speed in most cases.

Will we be running FD lines and clipping points or just using the "best line around the corner" approach.

Great to see we have some real judges too as it makes things alot easier to decide on things.

i've been happy in the past with the judging system going on here and i'm still happy with what's going on now 👍

It seems like rise of competition is coming and does anyone have a nomination for judges for the GTPDC's?
Head Judge:
Judge:
Judge:
Judge:

Back