GTPDC Judging Rules( Judges wanted/Training Avaliable)

• Thread starter nk4e
  • 155 comments
Have any judging experience?
I think being 26 and having been a drifter since before the whole fad of tandem competitions and championships(I'm talking about real comps like D1GP/FD etc.) I understand more than most what makes for a perfect drift.

Aside from that yeah I know all the rules of tandem as i've been part of competitions and teams that compete in online drift battle comps both solo and tandem.

Added that I also used to do lots of the old drift comps that were held on here on GT4 along with the WRS's that were back then too which involved video submissions, being honest and having good sportsmanship was a major aspect then. I've been into drifting for longer than most people here have had a licence or playstation and I am an old-schooler trying to hold onto driftings' roots. I can judge using any set of rules wanted but I prefer to go on my own instincts as afterall, it is all about impressing the judges remember...👍

Sure, I am going to add you as soon as I can.

Sounds good. Hope that I can help make battles more enjoyable.

PS: Need new rules put up for tandem drift competitions, we need to know what style of judging would best fit the general duties on GT5 because at the moment I don't see any clear layout of what rules should be used. nk4e if you want I can look for some (ie: D1GP, FD rules and regs. list) to put in this thread so that finally we'll be able to give clear rulings set in stone here.

Last edited:
Looking at the FD rules,
In competition, drivers are given two (2) non-consecutive judged laps to qualify, with their top score counting towards placement into a field of 32. Only the top 32 drivers are allowed to continue into the tandem tournament rounds, with draws in scoring broken by entry speed.

Each qualifying run is judged on four (4) criteria: Speed, Line, Angle, and Overall Impression.

Speed is a combination of the entry speed on the first corner as well as the amount of speed the driver is able to carry through the entire course. Drivers are encouraged to drive as fast as they can through the entire course, not just the entry point. Maximum points are awarded for fast entries and consistent speed through the entire course.

Line is the ideal path a vehicle must take on course and is marked by Inner Clipping Points, Outer Clipping Points, and Transition Zones. Inner Clipping Point are reference points on the course where the vehicle’s front bumper should come as close as possible to the reference point. Outer Clipping Points are also reference points and scored by determining how close the corner of the vehicle’s rear bumper comes to the point. Transition Zones are areas on track where the direction of the line changes and vehicles must change the direction of their drift. Scoring will be based on the execution of the transition. The drift line will be given during the drivers’ meeting.

Angle measures the amount of counter-steer and relative rear slip angle a driver uses through the course.

Overall Impression is the general feel of the pass and how well the other three criteria were executed through the entirety of the lap. This is the most subjective criteria and judges will look for the most “excitement” that the driver can bring.

Drivers should be able to demonstrate full control of the car at all time. All drivers start with 100 point and receive deductions through the run if they fail to meet the strict guidelines outlined by the judges during the drivers' meeting. Each of three (3) judges gives a score out of 100 possible points, and the three scores are averaged for each lap. The highest score for each driver is the one that is counted. Spins, major under-steer or push, or having two (2) tires off-course at any point during the pass results in an automatic zero (0) score.

Tandem Elimination Rounds
Tandem round are based on two (2) runs, in Head-to-Head format, with competitors paired up based on seeding position. The higher qualifier will lead the first run and the second led by the lower qualifier. The critical success factor is for the lead car to be able to run the course without error while being pressured by the following car. The following car is to try and “out drive” the lead car. Driver consistency during a tandem battle is critical. Lead Car must be able to clear the course without making any errors due to distraction or pressure by the following car. Following Car needs to run the same basic line as the lead car but may also take a higher line in order to pressure the lead driver. Taking a lower line than the lead car will result in a loss of advantage. If the lead car is off line, the following car will gain advantage points by staying on the correct line. The following car should keep as close to the lead car as possible to gain the advantage. Passing is not encouraged during tandem battles. Passing is only allowed if the lead car fumbles, is well off line or loses drift. Passing must be executed in a safe and professional manner. A safe pass is one that is done in such a way that the car being passed does not lose any speed after the pass is complete. Passing must be done while in drift, without the interrupting the line of the car being passed and in the proper line. If a pass results in contact, the passing car may be penalized. Collisions occur during tandem battle and in the event of contact, the driver at fault will lose advantage points. Incidental contact is allowed but not encouraged. Drivers are required to complete the entire course, even if the other driver crashes, hits, spins, stalls or is not able to complete the run. Drivers are always being judged as long as they are on course. Pace Zone can be marked with a cone or comparable marker and may be placed on the starting straightaway to keep the Tandem Battles fair and close together. The use of a Pace Zone will be specified during the drivers’ meetings. Tandem Scoring will be observed by the (3) judges during the head-to-head battle. There will be no declaration of scores between the two runs. At the conclusion of the head-to-head battle, each judge will individually declare a winner. Judges will select from three options:

1. Driver “A” wins
2. Driver “B” wins
3. “Tie”

The majority will rule a winner will be decided. In the event there is no clear majority, a “One More Time” will be granted, and the competitors will begin another 2-run head-to-head battle. Multiple “One More Times” may be necessary to determine a winner. All judging will be done from the judging tower. If a clipping point is not visible from the judging tower, a flag system may be used to communicate whether a driver properly scores the clipping point.

I think we will be deleting somethings.( qualifying...) Does everyone agree with no qualifying if it our GTPD1 Tournament? If so, we can use Challonge.com example( yes, I did lose in the second round to randomize the brackets and make it fair for everyone.
Here is another example, D1_GTP

Last edited:
You may have to ask him first, but put HMSMotorsport down on the list. He's had a lot of previous drifting experience and has judged a few battles on this ;)

On page 2, Stavingo says he will give it a show. I will add HMS soon then.

I'm happy to be any help you need, as long as all rules and regulations for your tournament are laid out clearly prior to commencing.

Talking about judging..by the looks at this video, a spin is a automatic win for the other person and going out of the track is automatic win for the other person also.

CH tyres only? =D

CH is used in every event yet in GTP. Also it is the most used and best tyre to drift with. You can change your rules ( if you want to start a tournament ) and put mediums. Both are ok if you ask me but I only use hard tyre's. And in tournaments it would be better if all have the same tyre because mediums give more grip and make the medium tyre user way faster. It wouldnt look like a competition at all then.

So far, we just have Mysterious_R and Stavingo.

Well after the excitement and hurrah of GT5 coming out has all but died out seems there is still little to no organisation in this area and little in the way of future events, therefore I withdraw my offer to judge for competitions here. Some team leaders/members I know now and you guys are welcome to message me if you want or need any help of this sort but that's about it. Sorry but it seems with TwinTurboCH away and team drama already sprouting its ugly head, I don't think I will be needed much.

Good luck either way and hopefully there is a light at the end of this tunnel.👍

Well after the excitement and hurrah of GT5 coming out has all but died out seems there is still little to no organisation in this area and little in the way of future events, therefore I withdraw my offer to judge for competitions here. Some team leaders/members I know now and you guys are welcome to message me if you want or need any help of this sort but that's about it. Sorry but it seems with TwinTurboCH away and team drama already sprouting its ugly head, I don't think I will be needed much.

Thank you either way and sorry for the lack of updates, mainly everyone is using their own judging criteria and judges. I was hoping for a lot more discussion with the entire community about this.

Last edited:
Yeah I've already heard drama llamas carrying on about judging decisions etc, asking for runs to be judged again, quite frankly to me it's in a sad state right now and I honestly can't see the current batch of teams getting any more organised. Such a shame really.

well 4 to 5 and were overall drift impressions...but i do understand the idea your throwing with subtracting point from a 100 for speed, angle, and line and the spin outs is a automatic win for the opponent

n4ke, you need to add Mysterious R to the panel of judges 👍

Yello, do you have some experience?

gotta love gt5 drift rivalries...and their public room titles expressing their thoughts about other drift teams. I do see why you are canceling the event and i don't blame you.

Can I still be a judge? Haha :dopey:

Though I need to catch up on how things have changed since the GTPDC/GTPC days ... but I'm back! :)

Back