GTPlanet Dads!

Canada
Canada
photonrider
Hi Guys!
Yes. You. I'm talking to you. GTPlanet Dads.
Put down that hammer. Get off that ladder. Stop pumping up those tired tyres, flattened balls, and cumbersome rafts. Leave that tent alone. Stop screwing that lightbulb in. Leave those fishing rods alone. You can teach your kid to whistle later.
Take a break!
I was reading an article the other day about 'a man's hidden work'. Yeah. All that stuff we do that goes unnoticed. Every day.
Except on Father's Day, Whenever, wherever.
They must celebrate Dad's the world over? Though, maybe, on different days, yet they probably do - from Tibet to Timbuktu?
So today, I'm taking the opportunity to make a space for us - a space we can visit now and then to hang out with other GTPlanet Dads.
Bring your experiences here. Let's trade stories. Tell me how you work the washing machine, fetch the dinner and take the dog out to do his business.
Let's talk about our kids, post pics, discuss our jobs, bosses, and troublesome or helpful neighbors.
After all - we're birds of a feather. We should flock together.
And who better to get advice from, about 'daddying' - than from another Dad? Especially a savvy, race-hardened GTPlanet Dad.
So come on here. Let's talk about everything that makes us Dads.
If no one else does, at least we can appreciate each other, no?
Okay - thanks for listening. You can go back to doing some of that hidden work now.
But, please. Keep us all posted, would you?

GTPlanet DADs

TB
Neal
Solid Lifters
spunwicked
GilesGuthrie
Pupik
axletramp
Pako
TJisA1337NOOB
Syntax error
Gravitron
Punknoodle
Ken
m8hrR
MTM79
CTznOfTime
Barra333
TexRex
Jump_Ace
noshog
DQuan
photonrider

(will add to the list if you confirm your Daddyhood in here)

Last edited:
This thread is now a corny holiday graphics thread, yes?

happy_fathers_day_20.gif

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there.

Fathers Day in Australia is in September. So Happy Fathers Day for then too.

@ Rykon
Way to bring the mood down, then back up :lol:. It's not Father's Day till September in NZ iirc.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there.

Fathers Day in Australia is in September. So Happy Fathers Day for then too.

My old fart had his birthday yesterday... I dont actually know when Fathers day is in Australia but I do know its NOT the day after his birthday..

Thread had me very confused :lol:

Happy fathers day to me (and all the other GTP dads) and happy birthday to my wife!

She'll be at work and I'll be washing the car, finishing up the clothes, fixing an umbrella, cleaning up the house... Same old, same old.

@ Rykon
Way to bring the mood down, then back up :lol:. It's not Father's Day till September in NZ iirc.

Oh really, I never knew that. Then again I don't even know for sure when my mother's birthday is, and I don't know how old my sister is, and I LIVE WITH THEM (omega facepalm)

25898%20-%20pinkie_pie's_dad.jpg

Happy Father's Day to all fathers around the webs and the world!
That means you too, dad, even if you don't see this.

My dad's a fool with a one-track mind...

to those Dads who actually thinks about his family, puts them before his siblings and not dwell on the past, may you have a Happy Father's Day.

TB
Happy fathers day to me (and all the other GTP dads) and happy birthday to my wife!

She'll be at work and I'll be washing the car, finishing up the clothes, fixing an umbrella, cleaning up the house... Same old, same old.

Déjà vu ;)

My day has been pretty damn good so far. Family Guy season 10 and Back To The Future Trilogy on Bluray, cooked breakfast this morning, went round the African music festival at the park and laughed at all the hippies this afternoon. Just watching Back To The Future with the boys before a roast lamb dinner :D

I was totally spoiled rotten this year:

100_2053.jpg

OH! Hey! GTP Dads Galore! Seems like I'm in awesome company! Welcome guys! Glad to see you could make it!

Last edited:
My old fart had his birthday yesterday... I dont actually know when Fathers day is in Australia but I do know its NOT the day after his birthday..

Thread had me very confused :lol:

I don't blame you, Fryz. See - this is what happened: I wanted to have a spot for GTPlanet Dads to bring in and share their experiences. I posted the thread just before father's Day - which resulted in some members mistaking it for the official 'Fathers' Day Wishes' thread (since I threw in a Happy Fathers' day wish in this thread at the time, too, no doubt confusing the heck out of everybody.)

BUT! - There are plenty of Fathers' Day threads at our Forum - in fact many since the day is celebrated, or observed, at different times of the year in different parts of the World. So we shall use those threads for the official Father's Day wishes, of course.

This thread is for Dads at GTPlanet.
Who are you? Where are you? I have been waiting a year to hear from you.

As for me - exciting news! 2 kids graduating in a few days. I'm on pins. Any advice? I have a fourteen year old who is 170 lbs, and just over 6' and REFUSING to wear a tux. He could lift me off the floor using one arm. Should I win this battle? And that's just one of the crises.
TG, my 12 year old still has the ability to make me guffaw. He's a lifesaver.

Now - as I mentioned in the OP almost a year ago - the fact that a Dad's work goes hidden was highlighted in a magazine of that time. Well, I picked up a copy of CHILL the other day - and this was staring me in the face:

IMG_0919.jpg

Excerpts from the mag:

"Imagine - even if it's just for a second - that your real Father/Son bonding experience took place on a half-pipe, teaching your kid proper technique for ollies, kick-flips, and mid-air board grabs. Pretty hard to picture - we know. But, the fact of the matter is, some Dads have it this way, and Tony Hawk is one of them."

TONY HAWK on being a Dad:
I thought, 'Wow, I need to be better at this.'"

"Being a father is the most important job that a man can have."

From CHILL Magazine - May/June 2012.

I'm a GTP dad, well a fairly new one - my daughter is just approaching 7 months old. And what a crazy, fun packed ride it's been so far :)

Nice idea to have a corner for dads. I'm not sure if we work harder than our other halves, maybe that's subjective.

I work maybe 70 hours on an average week, 90 on a busy one but for what I can't do at home my other half makes up the difference.

You are damn right about the hidden work too. Dad's are the unsung heroes of the 21st century!

Ok how do you debate in a magasine? P.50??

Happy fathersday, here was motherday on sunday.

Ok how do you debate in a magasine? P.50??

Happy fathersday, here was motherday on sunday.

LOL - We don't debate in the Magazine, ibo - that was already done - and wow - quite the debate! This thread was put up a year ago for just such a debate - though it seems that Dad's are always busy - doing that hidden work, with no time to debate.

Yup - Father's day is on the way.. . . make sure everybody around you knows! (If you're a Dad)
You don't have to be a Father; there's a difference. Even insects can be Fathers - but it takes a special person to be a Dad.

I'm a GTP dad, well a fairly new one - my daughter is just approaching 7 months old. And what a crazy, fun packed ride it's been so far :)

Nice idea to have a corner for dads. I'm not sure if we work harder than our other halves, maybe that's subjective.

I work maybe 70 hours on an average week, 90 on a busy one but for what I can't do at home my other half makes up the difference.

You are damn right about the hidden work too. Dad's are the unsung heroes of the 21st century!

Belated Congratulations, spunwicked ( damn - I'm going to be late in other ways, today, ;) ) You must totally enjoy being a Dad now - there's no feeling that can compare with the feeling of a Dad looking at their new child. It fills your heart with the kind of joy that cannot be expressed in words - though maybe a picture can capture some of the Happiness expressed.

As for Men's Hidden Work!!!!!
Yah! We do a lot of hidden work. It's not that women work harder or men work harder; it's just that the spotlight never gets turned on us - the hundreds of little things we do as Men (and Dad's) get shoved under the carpet of being taken for granted. :grumpy:

Never mind the Dad's that left their families and were forced to go to war.. . .

As for the Dad's Corner - I'll be updating the OP, soon, with the names of all the Dad's we collect in here. Dad/son-daughter combos that play videogames together are specially welcome!

I have three kids that all battle me at different games. It's a total blast. Losing isn't good though. Don't let 'em knock you off your pedestal! If you do fall off - recover quick by buying a round of ice-cream; that usually gets the hero-worship going again.

Cheers, and talk soon.
Harry.

Lie-ins? Pah... 6-6:30am starts for the win. I'm sure dark eye circles are going to become a permanent feature!

Here's to enjoying a morning of Continental Breakfast served up at a hotel in central Arkansas, 800 miles from the wife and kids, on Father's Day, to train other dads with their software for a repair shop at 8:00am Sunday.

Ah, the glamour of my job. Pimpin' ain't easy.

Car terrorism is all part of fatherhood...

:D

I'm hoping for a lie-in for Father's Day. Maybe even as late as 07.30!

That's as far as I got last year. :lol: However, I was presented with an entire French stick BLT! That's 24", baby!

Last edited:
LOL - lovely picture, Axle - adds a lot of glamour to our Dad's Corner! Glamorous? Yeah - looks like a limosine - you look like a harrassed bodyguard chauffeur guy - the girls look like a bunch of young popstars trying to get too close to their fans . . . heh, heh - you get the pic. Good pic.

And I'm off to conquer this patch of land:

100_1379.jpg

This is a Botanical Garden I visit often for inspiration - an amazing place in Springtime; the gardeners are absolute experts, green thumbs and all. A bit of Eden actually. This photo was taken a couple of years back by a guest who was in a group I had taken along, and who happened to have my camera at the time - I rarely photograph myself.

DeeandBoys.jpg

This one is again an older photo - maybe 4 or 5 years ago - I had dropped into my Mom's spontaneously with the family - my Mom is the type who thinks lunch is 57 varieties of food, and is lucky enough to make that thought a reality - so the boys (my two younger sons) are in a torpor from so much food; in fact there are dessert-stains still around their mouths. My wifey was relaxing on the couch - and as soon as they left the table they slammed themselves beside her; she gathered them up like a mother-hen. Click goes Harry with the camera - I think it's one of the best pics I have of sheer replete happiness together.

Cheers,
Harry.

Last edited:
Well, guys - I've had the best three weeks of my life. Short version - the family took off out of province on a month-long vacation that left me and my twelve-year old alone to vegetate as we please. I shut down operations, and decided to totally focus on him - we had a whale of a time - fishing, jogging at dawn, played a lot of pool, slept late, woke late - it's amazing how close we can get to our kids when it's just one-on-one and there's intense bonding going on.
He has 1300+ Pokemon cards; everyone had to be shown to me and discussed at length. He beat me once at pool and felt like a king. The fishing trips were out of sight - never enjoyed myself so much - nothing like teaching a kid to fish for the first time. The first catch freaked him out - he nearly fell into the lake in his excitement.
Needless to say I have plenty of stories and lots of pics - no real sit-down time to sort out and post - but will do soon.
He had been worrying me to take him out before sunrise - saying he had never seen the sun rise. So we stayed up all night - so as to defeat getting up too late - and took off to the lake - best place to watch the sunrise; comes out of the water. He was stunned by the sight and just couldn't get over the fact that it actually did that - peeped above the water and then suddenly rose in all it's majesty.
I'll throw one picture in here quick:

100_9769.jpg

That's him on the left leaning into the sun, I'm on the right - photo was taken on timer.

Magic stuff PR. Not sure about all that 'jogging at dawn' stuff, but the rest sounds great. ;)

Off for some similar bonding tomorrow as I'm taking my son to Le Mans for some serious track day(s) action. Just like your trip but without the calm relaxation and lake. :lol:

...although the weather's not looking so great so we might end up with a lake in the pit lane. :indiff:

Been a dad for just over 20 years now. I have fathered two more since my time here at GTPlanet. I know the list is longer, just takes some of us more time to get here. :)

:cheers: to the dads out there!

Back