GTPlanet Dads!

TB
I'm sure you parents out there have had some moments where you hadn't really noticed until all of a sudden something happens that makes it all too clear that your kids are indeed growing up.

The latest was this weekend for me. My wife and I were watching something and my oldest went into the kitchen to eat something. I motioned to my wife that she should probably pause the movie. She turned around to see which child I was motioning towards and said "he'll be 17 next week".

In other words, "next week he could go to the movie theater and see an R rated movie without us so what difference does it make?"

:ill:

Not quite the same but my daughter jumped on my back the other day for a shoulder ride when I wasn't looking... My first thought was 'when did you get so heavy !!' I had to tell her she couldn't just jump at me like that, especially when I'm not looking ... Made me realize I'm getting old now too :).

Im a little concerned that the 5 year old is going to teach her little brother bad habits too.

Ahh yes, when siblings are close together like that it's definitely a follow the leader type thing.
What I'm getting now is, my daughter knows she isn't allowed to do something so she whispers to her brother to do it so she can see the reactions.
I've always taught them to push their limits... My fault, I didn't expect them to start with the house rules :lol:.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I'm excited but crapping myself! I'll update you all when she arrives.

Initiation chant - ♫ one of us, one of us, one of us!

View attachment 797154

This is Enya. The little one, of course, not the fool with the silly grin.

giphy.gif

My extremely belated congratulations, Sean. Wow . . . you cannot believe how happy I was to see that post. Heh. Life goes on . . . or should I say 'life happens'? :) I have been offline for quite awhile (moving around) though hopping in here occasionally - and I see I have much to catch up on - your little tyke is now a terrible two? And more GTP Dads to add to the list . . . :cheers:

My extremely belated congratulations, Sean. Wow . . . you cannot believe how happy I was to see that post. Heh. Life goes on . . . or should I say 'life happens'? :) I have been offline for quite awhile (moving around) though hopping in here occasionally - and I see I have much to catch up on - your little tyke is now a terrible two? And more GTP Dads to add to the list . . . :cheers:

Cheers very much! Good to see you back again.

Little Enya is now two and currently jumping all over me singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Cheers very much! Good to see you back again.

:cheers:

Little Enya is now two and currently jumping all over me singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Well . . . I already have many of her namesake's CDs. Being listening to Enya for years.

Right now I've finally got to a near-empty nest - but my youngest returned from campus because of the pandemic and has been with me for a year. Nice to have a grown up 'kid' around - but he's more or less an adult now - and of course our relationship is not the same. Better? Worse? Not really - just different. It's actually great to have some long and serious discussions - and of course the humour is at a different level. Quite enjoyable.
I'm sucking it up since he will return to campus eventually and I'll be back to an empty nest. I bet you're enjoying that scamp of yours no end. :lol:

Treated to a giant breakfast in the morning, watched our F1 race together, had a giant slice of caramel cake, some BBQ at our favorite local spot, and unwrapped my new Hydro Flask for all my sub-galactic travels.

It was a good day.

Went to the farmer's market, then played outside with the hose, watched some baseball, drank some beer, and finally made tequila lime cod with mango salsa and some jalapeno bread I picked up at the market. The only way Father's Day would've been better is if I'd been able to take a nap.

200758744_10218383381076362_1060792136144081512_n.jpg

And yes, we're dressed alike because, like me, my son has a whole drawer full of black shirts and jeans.

A decade since we first gathered here to touch base with each other as fathers - and dads, since one can be one without actually fathering the child to whom one is a dad – on a day that is actually set aside for that. Officially. Different days in different countries, but still – a day set aside for us to do ‘Dad’ stuff every year.

But just like other ‘special’ days – whether Christmas, Valentine’s . . . or for that matter Mother’s day – some years are good – some absolutely dismal. A reading of the first few posts in this thread demonstrates this quite succinctly. For me, that sadness attached to Father’s day came the year after my dad passed – and suddenly – it seemed almost without warning I was tumbled into a Father’s day sans my father. There was a hole in that day. And ever after on every Father’s day.

But as much as I am sad that he isn’t around on that special day that fathers and children get to bond in a special way, I am also glad that I did fill the Father’s days we had with many good memories; taking my boys over to wish him, spoil him with some gift or treat, golfing, ‘fathers only’ camping, a fishing charter . . . some event that brought us together to celebrate fatherhood. A feeling that can’t really be put into words but quite probably experienced by almost all dads around the world – the deep and natural instincts that make fathers provide and protect as we grow love within our families.

To have a day that gives an excuse for family – whether wife, child, partner or cousin – to make a fuss about someone being a father, creates a particular ambience from the moment a dad wakes up. One may even say a moment of vindication. And this would be especially true for that tiny and overlooked minority – single dads, who have also been mother to their children.

GTPlanet has seen new dads - and many new babies since this thread was begun. (I like to think of these babies as honorary members; they have to wait till 13, of course, to actually post in here about the fun they had with their dads.)

To read about the shenanigans you guys had on Father’s day is inspiring and I hope that those who have lost a dad in recent years have good memories stored away – and I wish sincerely that those of you estranged from your dads will remember that while time heals, it isn’t a renewable resource. It is limited. A person may have a thousand friends, a hundred relatives, a dozen wives, a string of children . . . but only one father. That makes them special enough to make a fuss of, even for only a day.

May we all go from strength to strength as we make a better world for our children.

My little chick took good care of daddy…
That apple fell directly under the tree. Or should I say - 'not just a chip off the old block'? ☺️

Here's a bit of testosterone-lowering info for all you Dads.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/tiny-happy-people/science-of-fatherhood/zvnhjsg
But I'm thinking: what happens after you give up all the major responsibilities of being a dad? When, like me, you're retired, the kids are all grown up and adults themselves? Does the old testosterone supply kick in again and we get all frisky again?

I need to check in with Don McLean . . . who's probably dancing in the gym. 😁

With all the stuff that happened during my first son's birth, being a Dad didn't hit me until we settled in at home. Once Lucas started kicking in his crib and hearing the diaper swooshing, THAT was the moment for me when I realized I was a Dad. Congrats @DQuaN

Jerome

I'm in the club!

Sophie Eleni Hutchison was born on Wednesday 21st at 15:20 by emergency C-section after a long and difficult labour. Mum was an aboslute trooper and is healing well. Sophie is melting eveveryones hearts. :)

View attachment 1069351

View attachment 1069352
Dunc, you da man now. :cheers: (This makes up for a whole bunch of pubs closing down. 🙂 ) Congrats, mate . . . needless to say (but I'll say it) your world is going to be turned upside down. Enjoy the bliss, roll with the stress, and welcome to where the boys have turned into grandfathers - GTPlanet's dad's club. 😅

Added several more names to the list - brings us to a total of 22 Dads in here. If I have missed your name, please let me know. Sorry for being somewhat tardy, but I'm at the stage of daddyhood where most of the major stresses are over, and kicking back while attempting to sow wild oats again can be distracting. Stay well, dads, and may your dadpower have a thousand horses under the hood. 👊

Last edited:
Proud dad moment coming through! 16 now and all growed-up. Here's my daughter, Fifine, performing her Rizzo solo from a recent production of 'Grease, the musical'.

That’s bleeding blinding! What a performance!
I remember her fondly as a little one who had a dicky tummy in my car and we had to pull over sharpish to find a restaurant bathroom.
Thai food does that to the best of us. ;)

That’s bleeding blinding! What a performance!
I remember her fondly as a little one who had a dicky tummy in my car and we had to pull over sharpish to find a restaurant bathroom.
Thai food does that to the best of us. ;)
Ha, yes! I'd forgotten about that. She's a little bigger now and at the age where a bowl of Cheerios at 11:00pm constitutes a proper meal.

Hello fellow dads!

I’m a dad of two girls (3,12) and my wife is currently in hospital with a baby coming soon (early 31 weeks) so we are expecting a few tough months ahead.

Being a dad has been such an eye opener, pleasure, nightmare and everything in between. But wouldn’t be without my girls.

42DCE8F1-09FE-4C63-AC1A-C271B772A54F.jpeg
72AF2694-0628-47E3-9A09-90F1E2F50F18.jpeg

With the username @NinjaDad, was your wife surprised to be pregnant each time? :dopey:

Butterbeer! Kids love it but it tastes like 💩.

We have one kid and she’s 1. It’s been a pleasure being a father but I’m exhausted. I really feel like you just try and learn to be patient when you’re a parent. Sometimes days seem so bland because they’re repetitive as heck. Maybe it’ll change when she’s older and into sports and other things, but right now it’s just trying to get her to be safe while she’s traversing the home, lol.

Loading up the (rental) family truckster for a week's vacation to Niagara Falls. It was my son's turn to pick and I'm glad to go somewhere that isn't Disney World for once.

Loading up the (rental) family truckster for a week's vacation to Niagara Falls. It was my son's turn to pick and I'm glad to go somewhere that isn't Disney World for once.
You're down south, right? That is quite a drive to see some water go off a cliff. That said, we keep meaning to take our kids to the falls, but it is only 90min for us.

Back