GTPlanet Pet Peeves

That while threads will only alert you once on new posts until you check the thread again. Statuses don't have such restriction pelting you with alerts all over.

TB
I'd forget to check that as I have a tendency to forget that I've even posted anything that might warrant a "like" or was involved with a status comment that has a bunch of additional replies.

Which is why I'll log in after a few hours, see a dozen alerts and think "what the hell for?!?" :lol:

Whenever I make a post, go to bed, and receive a bunch of quote alerts, I always think "Oh jeez. I've really pissed off this site now!" :eek:

If you Like everything it has the exact same effect as Liking nothing - except diminish the effect it has when you actually do like something and want to show that by Liking it.

Obligatory:

tumblr_inline_oougqlRbds1upxhvj_500.gif

New threads that are flooding sub forums with posts that really should be kept into the "Whining and Crying" threads. Mainly, the GT Sport sub forum. I get that there's plenty of people upset, but there's no need to create new threads titled "why I'm canceling my preorder", "Kaz should be fired", or "this is laughable."

I'm really annoyed with having to scroll all the way to the top of a very long thread to access the home page. If there was a simple home button at the bottom of the desktop page, that would be a perfect QOL update. I disabled the sticky header because it was almost impossible for me to use on the mobile site (and as you're all aware, when you check that option, it's selected for both platforms). I don't have problems scrolling on mobile because I can tap the top of the screen and it instantly jumps up. My computer does not have that unfortunately.

@Dan -- The Home key works, at least in Firefox. I turned off the sticky header too because it's just annoying and intrusive.

Oh hey, let me revive this thread! :D

I hate it when members @ some others who has the same opinion as him/her, so they could attack the person who has an opposite opinion.

Last edited:
One incredibly minor thing for me is the fact the "@" doesn't disappear after tagging. Because well, if you had to read a post as it was, it would be something like "Less give a special thanks to "at Jordan"!" and it's kind of awkward to read. I tend to read posts like this and that's why I take the time to edit it out after I am done tagging.

I imagine it's the way the forum software is setup. Again, it's only a minor annoyance and while it don't bother me as much as it used to, i'd prefer it if it disappeared after tagging like it does on Facebook.

Dan
People who still upload their images here with embedded Flickr links. I enjoy browsing the photography threads here because it's wonderful to see how creative people can be. However, if I'm scrolling along on my phone and get sent to your page, that is extremely annoying. Or, if I click on an image to expand it, I'm immediately taken away from GTP.
This...every danged word of this. It's not just Flickr, either. Want to give credit to someone (yourself included)? Great! But do it separately from the image.

I've participated in a number of forums for various things over the years (even though I don't actually play GT anymore, that's what ultimately brought me here and I've lingered because of the community), and as images could be embedded directly into posts rather than as attachments, there's either been a general agreement that they ought not be hyperlinked or an end to the convention has been requested.

There's a user on here who shan't be named (please don't name them if anyone thinks they know who, and if it's you, either take the hint or don't, but please don't respond other than by taking the hint; this is a gripe, not a confrontation) that hyperlinks images the vast majority of the time, to the point that I've started looking at names before clicking to expand while browsing. It bugs me that it's come to that.

On the other hand, there's another user that posts their own pictured and applies credit to them neatly and consistently under every single one--that's how it ought to be done.

--------------------------------------------

Oh and Dan, I've done a deep dive here but I apologize if being quoted as having said something ages ago is a pet peeve of yours.

:P

Last edited:
This...every danged word of this. It's not just Flickr, either. Want to give credit to someone (yourself included)? Great! But do it separately from the image.

I've participated in a number of forums for various things over the years (even though I don't actually play GT anymore, that's what ultimately brought me here and I've lingered because of the community), and as images could be embedded directly into posts rather than as attachments, there's either been a general agreement that they ought not be hyperlinked or an end to the convention has been requested.

There's a user on here who shan't be named (please don't name them if anyone thinks they know who, and if it's you, either take the hint or don't, but please don't respond other than by taking the hint; this is a gripe, not a confrontation) that hyperlinks images the vast majority of the time, to the point that I've started looking at names before clicking to expand while browsing. It bugs me that it's come to that.

On the other hand, there's another user that posts their own pictured and applies credit to them neatly and consistently under every single one--that's how it ought to be done.

You said it much better than I did. :P It would be great if the uploaders could find a way to remove the hyperlinks from pictures while still providing a link to their gallery somewhere in the post (or in their signature).

Oh and Dan, I've done a deep dive here but I apologize if being quoted as having said something ages ago if that's a pet peeve of yours.

You absolute MONSTER! Don’t worry, it’s cool. I’ve had people quote something I wrote several years ago. You’re fine. :lol:

Only one thing, alerts not being redirected to the correct post. Most of the time I have to search for my posts members liked or quoted.

Last edited:
Dan
You absolute MONSTER! Don’t worry, it’s cool. I’ve had people quote something I wrote several years ago. You’re fine. :lol:
It was intended in jest, but I'm glad it's not a problem.

However there is indeed a problem with that post, brought to my attention by it having been quoted...

Oh and Dan, I've done a deep dive here but I apologize if being quoted as having said something ages ago if that's a pet peeve of yours.
Good grief! The Department of Redundancy Department approves.

--------------------------------------------

Oh and Dan, I've done a deep dive here but I apologize if being quoted as having said something ages ago is a pet peeve of yours.

It's easier to just grab whatever size of the image you want to share from Flickr and imbed it here than it is to A.) Upload full size image B.) Downscale image yourself and then upload it here.

I know I'm going to get some flak for this one, but nevertheless, it's still a pet peeve of mine. Members who aren't moderators who post in colored font. I find that more often than not, members who post in colored font/bold font/different style fonts do this to make their posts stand out more and look more important than everyone else's, which is why I find it a pet peeve. I'm sorry, but your posts aren't any more special/interesting/important in a colored font than a normal one. This does not apply to moderators, as them posting in colored fonts is actually helpful since it further distinguishes them from normal members. I've come across a few forums where only the mods post in colored font.

I know I'm going to get some flak for this one, but nevertheless, it's still a pet peeve of mine. Members who aren't moderators who post in colored font. I find that more often than not, members who post in colored font/bold font/different style fonts do this to make their posts stand out more and look more important than everyone else's, which is why I find it a pet peeve. I'm sorry, but your posts aren't any more special/interesting/important in a colored font than a normal one.
Probably some of them do that because they often think they're holier-than-thou with it, I believe.

By the way, can we say the same thing about those people who often put black'n'white pictures into their own avatars?

Last edited:
This does not apply to moderators, as them posting in colored fonts is actually helpful since it further distinguishes them from normal members.

I don't need fancy text. That's because when everyone reads my posts, they just hear the sounds of turntables repeatedly scratching a record.

I don't need fancy text. That's because when everyone reads my posts, they just hear the sounds of turntables repeatedly scratching a record.
It's a relief to know that I'm not alone. I thought I was going crazy...er.

People that sign up just to make a single post and then leave before anyone can even reply to them.
Recently I've had a few people sign up here and leave comments telling me something doesn't work, or that the link is dead, or some other issue, only to abandon GTP very shortly afterward. This bugs me because I have made several tutorials here and if theirs a problem that needs to be addressed, I want to know about it so it can be taken care of, but since they can't be bothered to stick around long enough to let me know, I really have no way of knowing about it.

I mean, if you don’t want to be very active on GTP, that’s fine. However, if you’re going to go through the trouble of creating an account, reporting a problem only to leave minutes later before I can even answer you, why do you even bother?! :grumpy: It just seems like a waste of time to me and I don’t get why people do this.

Last edited:
People that sign up just to make a single post and then leave before anyone can even reply to them.

Many users just get the answer to their question(s) and then move on. Or they just lurk. Or the place just "isn't for them".

I've done the same at some forums.

Last edited:
Many users just get the answer to their question(s) and then move on. Or they just lurk.
Perhaps I could’ve worded my title a little better, but that’s not really what I am getting at here. The ones I am referring to won’t even stick around long enough for me to answer them and it’s made even worse when I can’t give a good answer due to lack of information they provided. Which I’ll probably never get since they decided to leave.
Or the place just "isn't for them".
And that I can understand, but if you’re going to ask for help, at the very least stay long enough so someone can assist you.

Last edited:
Back