GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,735 comments
MAD DOG
pgsB9zX.jpg

IPLL3RJ.jpg

I might buy another one. Or three. The chrome is brilliant.

Unfortunately, the other plane came without a right side engine
km4sMgJ.jpg

m58HId6.jpg

Now I have to send it back to New Jersey... That won't be cheap but hopefully the seller can cover it and give me a refund.

Not sure whether this fit here or the 1/64 thread. Found myself getting back into classic Micro Machines after finding some at a new local store that opened up, which specializes in vintage toys.
122839946_10224770135660116_2157062283301160292_o.jpg

After buying these six, I felt the need to return and buy a packaged set that they had.
122815797_10224770819437210_7265753760791491835_o.jpg

WoAFfdo.jpg

98Izkbt.jpg

Before I got my wheelchair, I regularly visited a model plane shop which had every kind of aircraft imaginable. It's in a strange location though and the lack of accessibility eventually prevented me from visiting. I haven't contacted the place for years, but yesterday I decided to ask about some 1:500 scale models. I didn't expect them to have any of the aircraft I wanted, but remarkably, they had this one! Mum had to go and get it for me.

I broke my old Icelandair 757 by mistake (I put my elbow on the nose and broke the front landing gear) and needed a replacement, but this is way better than that. The livery is excellent and an absolute must have for any collector. I came across one on eBay but I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive, nor did I want to pay more than necessary. $63 is a very fair price for a model like this, but when you realise that I bought the other plane for $38 in 2012, the value proposition kinda falls down. However Herpa models these days are flawless and you hardly ever get a bad one. They are totally worth the money; this one especially.

I broke my old Icelandair 757 by mistake (I put my elbow on the nose and broke the front landing gear) and needed a replacement, but this is way better than that. The livery is excellent and an absolute must have for any collector. I came across one on eBay but I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive, nor did I want to pay more than necessary. $63 is a very fair price for a model like this, but when you realise that I bought the other plane for $38 in 2012, the value proposition kinda falls down. However Herpa models these days are flawless and you hardly ever get a bad one. They are totally worth the money; this one especially.

The Aurora Borealis Icelandair livery is awesome (model and in real life).

Sadly I am downsizing some of my collection on account of taking a pay cut at work, but it was a miracle it didn't happen sooner since I work in aerospace. :(

Anyways, I did pre-order a GT Spirit 993 Carrera RS in Midnight Blue, however. It will replace the same model from UT in Riviera blue. Sure, opening parts are nice, but I've owned 3 of the UT models and all had some sort of issue. This will be the last model I buy for a long time.

gt314-porsche-911-993-rs-01.jpg

I must have got lucky, my 993 by UT is - from memory - in good condition. Was actually lucky to find it in a shop, some years after AutoArt took over.

Sorry to hear about your work situation.

Last edited:
What exactly do you do in aerospace @SPhilli911 ?
Aircraft maintenance here, and after having been employed by a now defunct airline for over 11 years I had to resort to becoming a contractor to stay in aircraft maintenance. Luckily I got a bit of a pay raise with that, but on the other hand no where near as good benefits and no union (which can be both a good thing and bad thing).

Anyway more recent additions:
BBR Ferrari 512BB LM 24 Hours of Le Mans 1980

ACME 1970 Chevelle SS GForce

(the 1/64's I need to post in the dedicated thread soon...)

Sadly I am downsizing some of my collection on account of taking a pay cut at work, but it was a miracle it didn't happen sooner since I work in aerospace. :(

Sorry to hear about that. I'm in aerospace as well and we're being hit pretty hard too, but I've been fortunate and I'll still have a job.

If you're getting rid of any 964 models though, PM me first!

Aircraft maintenance here, and after having been employed by a now defunct airline for over 11 years I had to resort to becoming a contractor to stay in aircraft maintenance. Luckily I got a bit of a pay raise with that, but on the other hand no where near as good benefits and no union (which can be

Oof, that's tough too, though at least you're still able to be in the business. Is there potential for the contractor gig to turn into a permanent gig in the future? May good fortunes continue with you and @SPhilli911.

Last edited:
Aircraft maintenance here, and after having been employed by a now defunct airline for over 11 years I had to resort to becoming a contractor to stay in aircraft maintenance. Luckily I got a bit of a pay raise with that, but on the other hand no where near as good benefits and no union (which can be both a good thing and bad thing).
I work in quality (going on 9 years), specifically for the blades of various P&W engines. I'm happy to be employed still, but commercial aerospace isn't going to recover to where it was for many years and the whole company is taking a hit from it. Fortunately, 95% of my work is military and that's some job security, but that doesn't stop pay cuts.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm in aerospace as well and we're being hit pretty hard too, but I've been fortunate and I'll still have a job.

If you're getting rid of any 964 models though, PM me first!

Oof, that's tough too, though at least you're still able to be in the business. Is there potential for the contractor gig to turn into a permanent gig in the future? May good fortunes continue with you and @SPhilli911.
Thank you, I will be sure to let you know if the 964s need to go. I hope they don't, but you will be the first to know! Right now no 964s have to be cut.

Best of luck both of you and everyone affected by the pandemic for that matter, whether it's an economic impact or otherwise.

Okay, I lied about no more models. :lol:

Ended up getting a good deal on a Spark 911R in 1/18, probably down to the unusual color. I quite like it though (other than the clear tail lights) and other colors are going for ridiculous prices. I tend to collect bright colored 911s anyways.

spark_1_18_porsche_911_991_r_2016_wax02100026_.jpg

VXR
That front bumper hasn't aged well. Jeeze.
Yeah, definitely not! Would have been nice if Porsche made another 911 R with the 991.2 GT3 front end instead... but then I suppose they kinda did with the 991.2 GT3 Touring. Still, I'd rather have the GT3 Touring anyways because the R is an overpriced, collectors item (the real car and the scale model :lol:).

That's more like it.
OUL_8750.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely not! Would have been nice if Porsche made another 911 R with the 991.2 GT3 front end instead... but then I suppose they kinda did with the 991.2 GT3 Touring. Still, I'd rather have the GT3 Touring anyways because the R is an overpriced, collectors item (the real car and the scale model :lol:).

That's more like it.
OUL_8750.jpg

Although the 997.1 was inoffensive enough, they sure do punish the impatient by knocking it out of the park with the .2 models.

Anyways, I did pre-order a GT Spirit 993 Carrera RS in Midnight Blue, however. It will replace the same model from UT in Riviera blue. Sure, opening parts are nice, but I've owned 3 of the UT models and all had some sort of issue. This will be the last model I buy for a long time.

gt314-porsche-911-993-rs-01.jpg

Aerospace here three...

Unfortunately been off since May...

In your case you say you are downsizing, but what does it mean ?
Are you selling part of your collection, or
Will you be buying less than you usually were ?

If you are selling, may I have the list ?

Since the beginning of the year, I bought 2 E30, a white Silvia on the way and this

IMG_20201125_140822_1.jpg

IMG_20201125_140631.jpg

IMG_20201125_134603_1.jpg

Aerospace here three...

Sorry to hear, it's been a rough year.

By downsizing I mean I will be selling off a few of my models in my collection, mostly duplicates and cars I've been meaning to sell. I am not sure exactly which models yet, but I can send you a message before I list anything. All are 1/18 scale.

I also will be buying far less than usual, too. I've got all or most of the cars I wanted anyways.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to double post, meant to add to my previous post.
Latest few additions, probably the last ones for the year unless some pre-orders I have ship very soon...
I really like this blue 993. I had the same model in the dark green, but maybe someday I will grab a blue one.

Last edited:
Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to double post, meant to add to my previous post.

I really like this blue 993. I had the same model in the dark green, but maybe someday I will grab a blue one.
I almost bought the dark green, but ended up going with the blue after thinking about it for a while.

Sorry to hear, it's been a rough year.

By downsizing I mean I will be selling off a few of my models in my collection, mostly duplicates and cars I've been meaning to sell. I am not sure exactly which models yet, but I can send you a message before I list anything. All are 1/18 scale.

I also will be buying far less than usual, too. I've got all or most of the cars I wanted anyways.

Considering my condition, i dont think i will buy much, but if there is any model that i just can't refuse and would like to add to my collection, yes please i am looking forward to your list.
{I like and prefer 1/18 scales anyway.}

I am also happy to say that my search for a sturdy all glass display cabinet has finally come answered.
About a month ago, driving around the neighborhood, i saw someone throwing out one, and took it back to my place... it needs some work "refurbishing".

Despite my agenda of staying home full time now, i still have so many things to do around the house, i will not get around to put and finish the cabinet until the arrival of next spring... i am eagerly looking forward to show off finally my collection (half of it first) .... Spring 2021 if everything goes well.

More details coming at that moment...

EDIT: @Venom800tt
I Love the Truck !!
Nice Camaro too... wish the angle of the photos do it more justice ;)
Man you have been on a shopping spree lately... i wish i could burn my money like you too lol
That dark blue Z you got from @AOS ?! is MAGNIFICENT ! I WANT IT :drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:
That's following the news that Schnitzer is officially separating themselves entirely from BMW... Whatever that means...

But now I wonder what Schnitzer will be doing by themselves....?!

That's following the news that Schnitzer is officially separating themselves entirely from BMW... Whatever that means...

But now I wonder what Schnitzer will be doing by themselves....?!

Yeah, no doubt the banner advert that showed it to me (got it from an official ACS UK dealer) picked up my many google queries for Schnitzer in the past weeks. AC Schnitzer and Schnitzer Motorsport are separate entities, since ACS lost 'official' BMW tuner status some time ago, they've branched out to other brands. After the death of Charly Lamm, it seems, for one reason or another, Schnitzer Motorsport is no longer viable, I don't think they will be doing anything by themselves.

Still, the CLS II, takes me right back to the early days of my enthusiasm from the BMW Brand.

Looking at these models I'm starting to understand why you all are buying/collecting them. Beautiful model cars. Must be expensive though, to collect model cars.

Aerospace here three...

Since the beginning of the year, I bought 2 E30, a white Silvia on the way and this

View attachment 978216

View attachment 978217

View attachment 978219
Very beautiful photos. Did you build the background as well?

Last edited:
New arrival, Alpine A110.

model1.jpg

Another Ottomobile Alpine, what I lack in originality I make up for in... Predictability. But it looks great, and takes residence in one of my display cases. Ended up putting the Alpine GTA away for awhile, it's not exactly the prettiest car ever.

model2.jpg

I thought the scale was off when next to the SLS, as the A110 is a small lightweight sports car. But today I learned that the A110 and SLS are both (in reality) exactly 1252mm tall, which is very interesting. I've been shuffling models around to display things slightly nicer, I was looking to get some more 1/18 cases so I can display more 1/18s but in NZ right now they're really hard to come by (good ones, at least).

I've also found an ingenious solution to displaying more 1/43s without having to put in any effort.

model5.jpg

I knew owning physical copies of digital media was for a reason! Now I can display more without creating a leaning tower of resin and diecast.

model3.jpg

And I've created a Viper sanctuary in the shelf below.

model4.jpg

It's surprisingly hard to find good Viper models, GT Spirit made a GTS and RT/10 recently but the lights are all the wrong shape (the sharper curves are all widened, maybe a problem in casting?). There's a GTS from LS Collectibles which looks subpar, and Autoart made an ACR but the ACR isn't really my cup of tea (either make a race car, or a road car. Don't try and make it both). GT Spirit is the best, it's just a shame that they couldn't get the lights right because I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Yeah I know, when it comes to Vipers I'm pretty damn anally retentive.

Back