GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,735 comments
Can't tell if that's 7 or 8.

GT Spirit's got this in the works. Get preordering:

19894782_1151588471607340_2947829371393399549_n.jpg

God this looks so good. Is this that super expensive one out there?
It wasn't cheap I suppose but I grabbed it early, which I didnt do for the Spark GT3 RS and those went up in price like crazy. Then again this GT2 RS isnt as limited so I dunno how prices will be on them later. It was about $300 USD on CK.

It wasn't cheap I suppose but I grabbed it early, which I didnt do for the Spark GT3 RS and those went up in price like crazy. Then again this GT2 RS isnt as limited so I dunno how prices will be on them later. It was about $300 USD on CK.

300USD would be the exorbitant price I would be thinking of.

Goodness me am I grateful I randomly browsed modelissimo that one day. Otherwise, I would not be an owner of the green 964.

Here's an update on the RX-7. I kind of screwed up the pearl clear coat, and left an unfixable mess on parts of the body. Thankfully it's not greatly noticeable; I'd probably wouldn't even be able to photograph it if I tried.

But because of this, I'm deciding to cover it up with stuff: graphics and whatnot. So now what was going to be a plain body street car will now be...

an Itasha.

What character? The colour palette's base had to be white, because I am so not repainting anymore. It was a tie between Akiko Yosano (Bungou Stray Dogs), Ryogi Shiki (Garden of Sinners), Ayanami Rei's plugsuit (Evangelion). Ultimately decided on Ryogi to stray away from Evangelion's popularity in car wraps and because if I were to imagine a scheme for Akiko, it'd be pretty boring and indistinguishable from the character.

So I spent the last hour or so drafting what decals I'll need to craft up now:

19490262_10156267422389097_1787387908_o.jpg

19496368_10156267423129097_154451975_o.jpg

I'd say the idea is technically complete, but it doesn't feel that way. Here's a reference pic of what I'm basing the stuff off of:

59f5cf8998c67e2968c3eb95a1ca274e.jpg

So what's happening is that this character's main colours here (aside from the rosy white), is the bold blue from the sash. Everything else is quite minor. The RX-7 needs some part of it coloured blue to capture that essence, and I initially thought of doing a thick single stripe down the centre of the car. But thinking about it, the idea of having a solid block of floral patterns running down the car seemed tacky. Scrapped it. Thought of ditching the carbon fibre wrapped diffuser in the back in place of having the sash flower pattern take over. So far the idea seems workable (in my head).

But the sash alone still isn't enough. I need more of that kimono being represented. That's where these flowery scribbles present themselves along only the left side of the car, just like how it appears on her left breast. The surfaces that lead to an opening in the body (i.e. grills) are coloured to that of what the under-side of the fabric is coloured. I learned that Ryogi wears a red kimono underneath the white, which we see at the edges, so I'm hoping to capture that by colouring the engine and interior red. I may also colour the very edge of the doors, bonnet and trunk lid red as well, but I worry it may be overkill.

The last thing I plan on doing to top it all off is to plaster a white floral pattern similar to the main kimono's pattern just so the car body doesn't look so unfinished/undeveloped.

Update on livery changes: I can't see how to extend that initial idea any further, so I went scribbling up a whole bunch of new ones by plotting down a section of blue and red several times until I came to toning it down.

I didn't post any updates of that here. But that's okay. I moved forward with rearranging the location of the foliage to the front of the car, and laid down floral patterns to match the fabric of the character's clothes. It gives the white some extra detail so it's not as plain, but at the same time, subdued so as to not look too busy.

20246367_10156387810414097_6351786012724756514_n.jpg

20264942_10156387810809097_87090264834304562_n.jpg

20257976_10156387810849097_4384908303373472229_n.jpg

20292859_10156387810829097_597213428820358921_n.jpg

I continue to tinker with arrangement of the patterns, but if not, I'll be moving onto the left side of the car with another set of foliage prints, and the possibility of text to pull it back closer to standard itasha protocol such as character name and aftermarket brand decals.

For anyone unfamiliar to the project: It's a 1:24 RX-7 I'm working on. (And it's not plastic)
#rx7street

lol, not so much as deep pockets, but more so the fact that I have been collecting since 1997. Though, the oldest model in that pic is probably the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is an AUTOart that I got sometime around 2001-2002-ish. That group of pics shows just under half of my 1/18 collection, with the rest being packed away at my mom's house. Will be bringing at least another 10-20 models back here next time I go visit her.
I haven't even been collecting for half that time... Heck, you've been a collector longer than I've been alive lol:lol: Not to mention that I don't have job to fund such endeavors. I can't imagine my collection in ten years...

Not to mention that I don't have job to fund such endeavors. I can't imagine my collection in ten years...

In some sense, it's good that you don't. Not having income gets you to distinguish your needs from wants.

If I had a job if I was any younger, I definitely would have wasted a lot of money on Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards, Gunbound game items, Beyblade battle tops, and Gundam model kits... and at my age now, I'm really glad I didn't find some way to spend money on those hobbies. Hopefully model cars won't be on that list where I may find myself regretting getting into this hobby 15 years later.

Meh, I'd really think about what you're getting into with model car collecting. It can be expensive and you may also reach a point where you feel like you need certain cars and you ignore the cost (if you have the means).

Personally, I've begun to realize there are other hobbies I've ignored in order to get some models. I'll always collect, but just need to take a step back and be smarter about it, get the cars I really want. Dropping $300 on a single car is... a bit ridiculous.

To me my spending on models is only a fraction of the money I have spent on different women during my 20s. That was some serious money that I want to get back.

Thank god I have a very supportive wife right now, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford this hobby.

Come to think of it, model car collecting is less expensive than my other hobby, travelling the world. But I don't see it as a waste of money or anything like that. If you love something, money shouldn't hold you back. Just need to have some self control, is all. :lol:

Last edited:
Who needs Mazda when you have Edna?

Topspeed posted some pics:

TS0098-1.jpg

This looks really dope, because of this:

TS0098-7.jpg

And it's very affordable to, because of this:

TS0098-8.jpg

Yep. Solid, wall. 👍 👍

TS0078-3.jpg

There's also this one...

TS0078-5.jpg

Solid wall.... oh baby.

Which Top Speed release doesn't have a sea of plastic grill? I may pick up the Ford GT GTE and the FK8 Civic Type-R, and that's about it.

MSZ
Which Top Speed release doesn't have a sea of plastic grill?

I get that's rhetorical question, but I haven't looked into Top Speed, so I honestly wouldn't know, but I guess this cost-cutting method would contribute to the brand's overall price range.

Good to know if uncut mesh is not your jam.

But good lord that red looks bomb. I almost want this for the red alone.

I get that's rhetorical question, but I haven't looked into Top Speed, so I honestly wouldn't know, but I guess this cost-cutting method would contribute to the brand's overall price range.

Good to know if uncut mesh is not your jam.

But good lord that red looks bomb. I almost want this for the red alone.

I tried to avoid solid grill as much as possible but some of my models do have them.

It was also the number one reason why I didn't buy the Top Speed NC1 NSX and went with the Hobby Japan version instead.

MSZ
I tried to avoid solid grill as much as possible but some of my models do have them.

It was also the number one reason why I didn't buy the Top Speed NC1 NSX and went with the Hobby Japan version instead.

I hear ya. This Zonda is hard to say no to, but as part of upping the criteria of things to make it in, I'm forcing myself to turn it down despite how great it looks everywhere else.

I've only broke that rule with the Fiesta methinks. Viper is going to be a custom so that shouldn't count.

I would've complained about the lack of texture, such as the unmaintained flooring, the cigarette butts and pancaked gum, but parking lots over there are hella clean.

Oh my. If they make this in lavender metallic color, I will get it.
Like this? https://www.acmediecast.com/product...umber=KSR18501V-B&category=1:18 Lamborghini##

Unfortunately the lavender color is a Kyosho exclusive one, which means it will sell out fast. Dunno what other colors besides white and lavender they will make. Seems it only came in two additional colors, red and black. Super tempted to pre-order the lavender one though, same for the ACME edition Vette Grand Sport GT Spirit is making.

Back