• 135 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Tuning has been an important part of GTPlanet since the site first began back in 2001. I remember some of our first users discussing and sharing car setups, and now tens of thousands of people visit our various tuning forums every day to do the same thing - but it’s still a challenge to find a good tune for your favorite car.

I want to make this easier, so I’m rolling out what I hope will become an important new site feature for GTPlanet designed to make sharing, organizing, searching, and discussing tunes fast and fun. Here’s how it works:

Finding Tunes

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.26.25 PM.png

Gran Turismo 6 is the first supported title in our Tuning Database. When viewing the home page of the tuning database, you’ll see the most recently updated tunes. Using the navigational tabs, you can also see the newest tunes and those with the highest ratings. In the sidebar, you can also see the most active tune authors and the current most popular setups in the community. Filters let you sort tunes by type, including Race, Drift, Rally, Snow, Replica and Drag.

If you’re looking for something in particular, type in a car or track name in the provided search box. Unlike other tuning sites that use normalized data - which often becomes out of date due to constant maintenance needs and tedious search fields - our new Tuning DB is fully integrated with GTPlanet’s all-new search engine. Just type the name of the car or track you’re looking for and start browsing.

Tunes for new cars and tracks will be supported immediately, and this flexibility will help ensure that our tuning database can support a diverse and wide range of popular racing games.

Detailed Tune Overviews

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.27.50 PM.png

Once you have found the tune you’re looking for, you’ll find its data presented in a standardized format. Only relevant fields which the tuner has defined are displayed, reducing clutter and making settings easy to read and copy.

Each tune also has a large description area available, which can include any type of additional formatted content the tuner wishes to display, including further details, pictures, or embedded videos.

Tune Ratings & Reviews

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.30.42 PM.png

There are lots of tunes out there - but how do you know which ones are actually worth your time?

The Tuning Database has a reviews feature, which lets users rate each resource with a familiar five-star rating system. Reviewers can also leave comments to explain their rating in more detail, and the tune author can respond to each of these comments to address any concerns.

Follow Tunes & Get Updates

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.31.40 PM.png

Tune authors can change and update their tunes at any time, and users can “watch” or follow these tunes to be immediately notified of these changes.

Complete Forum Integration

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.32.25 PM.png

The new Tuning Database is fully integrated with GTPlanet’s forum software.

A dedicated forum topic is automatically created for each new tune added to the database, creating the opportunity for uncluttered, in-depth discussion and feedback.

A new “Resources” tab is also displayed on user profiles of users who have submitted tunes, making it easy to see all of the setups added to the site by your favorite tuner. You can also follow your favorite tuner to see when they submit new tunes to the database.
Point-and-Click Interface

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.38.03 PM.png

To create a new tune, click the “Add Resource” button on the new Tuning Database home page. Once there, you’ll find a simple form to define the parameters of the tune you want to share.

You can set a special thumbnail for your tune to help it stand out in the database, and - as mentioned above - the detailed description field lets you use all of the formatting options available in forum postings. Of course, you can also embed videos and upload an unlimited number of photos or thumbnail images relevant to the tune.

Full Mobile Compatibility

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 2.39.png

There’s no need to leave your couch or racing rig to share and find tunes. Like the rest of GTPlanet’s site, all pages in the Tuning DB are fully “responsive” and designed to work on all types of devices, including smartphones and tablet computers.

More Games to Come

I am eager to host car setups for a wide range of racing games in the future, depending upon demand and user response to the new Tuning Database. It is built on a flexible platform which is designed to host a diverse range of generic resource types, and provides some interesting features which can be used for a wide variety of purposes in the future.

Once the tuning database has been tested during its beta period, it will be added as a new major section of GTPlanet, with a dedicated "tab" in the navigational heading to provide a lot of exposure to shared tunes.

Try It Out

GTPlanet’s Tuning Database will be publicly accessible and free for everyone. I hope you all find it useful and I’m eager to see what you can do with it. Please share any bugs or problems you may find so I can fix them.

Click here to get started, and click the “Add Resource” to submit your own tune!

Last edited:
Great job, I have a recommendation that the tuner may add a description about why he did this and that, especially the suspension and LSD sittings.. so most of us will have a deeper understanding about cars sittings and become more aware of what a car need in a particular situation.. or is it just a matter of trial and error??

Great job, I have a recommendation that the tuner may add a description about why he did this and that, especially the suspension and LSD sittings.. so most of us will have a deeper understanding about cars sittings and become more aware of what a car need in a particular situation.. or is it just a matter of trial and error??
There'sa description box.

@Jordan its seems you can't enter a minus figure for toe.

I just submitted my first resource and it wouldn't accept -0.20 for front toe.

Sorry for the double post, but the tag wouldn't work if I edited my last post.

Also I can't see LSD settings in the finished resource. I ticked it in the editing and entered 60/60/60 in the correct boxes.

Last edited:
@Jordan its seems you can't enter a minus figure for toe.

I just submitted my first resource and it wouldn't accept -0.20 for front toe.

Sorry for the double post, but the tag wouldn't work if I edited my last post.

Also I can't see LSD settings in the finished resource. I ticked it in the editing and entered 60/60/60 in the correct boxes.
Thanks, these issues should be resolved. I'm sure there are several other fields which should accept negative values but do not; please bring them to my attention as you find them, everyone.
Searching for pp (eg 444pp and 490pp) doesn't return any results. I'd have thought pp levels would be among the most popular search criteria.
Fields cannot be searched, yet. Only the content that is in the title or the description is currently searchable.
I field for the controller type (DS3, DFGT, G27) would be nice.

This wil be great once it gets rolling. 👍 👍
I can add that field, and fields for driving aids used as well.

Thanks, these issues should be resolved. I'm sure there are several other fields which should accept negative values but do not; please bring them to my attention as you find them, everyone.

Fields cannot be searched, yet. Only the content that is in the title or the description is currently searchable.

I can add that field, and fields for driving aids used as well.
Will do, Bossman. :)

Will they be searchable in the future?

Can you add one of them saying "All" for replicas? :)

@Jordan I see one mistake and have an additional suggestion. It looks as if the top speed under transmission settings is titled brake balance. Plus there is no setting for Final gear

A suggestions under transmissions. It is pretty difficult to match transmission settings when people move both the final drive and the top speed. A comment field right in the transmission section would be useful. Here is an example from my garage.

Transmission
Set in this order
Final Gear to 5.500
Top Speed to 112 (never change past this point)
1st gear 3.235
2nd gear 2.200
3rd gear 1.695
4th gear 1.380
5th gear 1.170
Final gear 3.800 (change final gear only to get redline at end of longest straight)

I am thinking that one line for comments under the gear settings would work. Like this.

Transmission
Top Speed 112 mph
1st gear 3.235
2nd gear 2.200
3rd gear 1.695
4th gear 1.380
5th gear 1.170
Final gear 3.800
Comments: Set in this order, 1. Final to 5.500, 2. Top Speed to 112, set individual gears then adjust final gear to reach redline at end of longest straight.

Other tuners may have suggestions too. Many of us use this method so might even think about just showing the final gear and top speed starting points at the top?

We receive this question quite often.

God must be fiddling again.

I'm loving it so far, it's going to re - invent the tuning forum, no more needless tune requests, just a beautiful, easy to use encyclopedia of tuned cars, growing by the hour.
Indeed. Looks like me and you are battling for the most active Author lol.

Indeed. Looks like me and you are battling for the most active Author lol.
Haha I'll be throwing a few up tomorrow.

It won't be long and some people will have many, many tunes posted.

I feel sorry for all the tuners with 40+ cars tuned that have to re - input them all as a resource :lol:

Haha I'll be throwing a few up tomorrow.

It won't be long and some people will have many, many tunes posted.

I feel sorry for all the tuners with 40+ cars tuned that have to re - input them all as a resource :lol:
Lol!
I like doing the visual replicas... So that's where my specialty will lie, copying IRL Cars :D

Noooooo! My grand idea is stolen! I suppose I can toss that proposal out now. :(

In all seriousness, I'm glad to see this feature come about. Been thinking about it for months and how it might work best with the way folks work their garages in the forum.

I will likely nitpick this to death to get it to perfection, or close to it. :cheers:Thanks for bringing this to us!

Wall of text, engage! :D

• Weight distribution - would like to see this as separate fields for front and rear rather than a specific format to enter, maybe even just one for front and auto-calc rear since it's not rocket surgeryfication
  • Restrict number fields to only number character entry if possible; my PP is not "ABC" and max torque is not "your mom", also restrict to allowable setting range (ex. 5-60 for LSD, not 78)
  • Power-to-weight ratio - auto calc this
  • Add track for track-specific tunes, "General" being default
  • Add make, model (with year)
    • standardizes entries making them more searchable (once fields are searchable :))
    • auto-fill other basic specs like drivetrain, displacement, width, length, etc.
    • advanced version - only available parts in-game are selectable based on this info (ex. NASCARs cannot add forced induction or sports exhaust)
  • Add game update version
    • Physics may change between updates, some tunes may not work well from one to the next
    • Keep older versions - if a tuner updates for 1.05, let me have the option to view the 1.04 version of the tune somehow...like SharePoint for those that know what I'm talking about
    • Let reviewers select which version they are reviewing from a drop down
  • Add transmission starting point(s)
    • As mentioned by @Motor City Hami, a popular way to set transmissions
    • Add as Starting Point - Final Gear and Starting Point - Top Speed above gear ratios, top speed may not even be necessary as a starting point but final would be for sure
  • List selection - would love a way to select a few tunes to create a custom list as on mygranturismo.net/kudosprime. This could be invaluable to our shootout event format or a way to link several tunes for someone to try for seasonals, etc.
  • Tuning garage field - some way to ID this for those garages that have multiple tuners (ex. Clueless over The Hill Outlaws and The Cardboard Box come to mind), not sure how this could be handled to keep "anyone" from adding it
  • Localization
    • Probably would tie into a user profile setting
    • Auto-esticalc (yes, its in the dictionary...mine) between power and force measurements. @Otaliema was working on this for our version of this database :)
  • "Hideable" headings - proper term escapes me at the moment, a "+" or "-" or arrows next to specs, suspension, transmission, etc. that rolls up the data under that heading or shows it if hidden
Some suggestions better and easier than others. More to come I'm sure...apologies for the double post. :cheers:

EDIT:Added more...its all above.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback, everyone. The bug which affected ratings has been fixed. You can submit a rating using the star widget near the bottom of the main column.
Will they be searchable in the future?
Can you add one of them saying "All" for replicas? :)
Field searching is something I would like to add, yes, but it's not currently supported by the software and must be built from scratch. I don't understand your request for "all" replicas.

@Jordan I see one mistake and have an additional suggestion. It looks as if the top speed under transmission settings is titled brake balance. Plus there is no setting for Final gear

A suggestions under transmissions. It is pretty difficult to match transmission settings when people move both the final drive and the top speed. A comment field right in the transmission section would be useful. Here is an example from my garage.

Transmission
Set in this order
Final Gear to 5.500
Top Speed to 112 (never change past this point)
1st gear 3.235
2nd gear 2.200
3rd gear 1.695
4th gear 1.380
5th gear 1.170
Final gear 3.800 (change final gear only to get redline at end of longest straight)

I am thinking that one line for comments under the gear settings would work. Like this.

Transmission
Top Speed 112 mph
1st gear 3.235
2nd gear 2.200
3rd gear 1.695
4th gear 1.380
5th gear 1.170
Final gear 3.800
Comments: Set in this order, 1. Final to 5.500, 2. Top Speed to 112, set individual gears then adjust final gear to reach redline at end of longest straight.

Other tuners may have suggestions too. Many of us use this method so might even think about just showing the final gear and top speed starting points at the top?

We receive this question quite often.
Max. Speed field bug has been fixed. Good point regarding the nuance of transmission tuning; I have added a multi-line text field for additional comments and instructions which will be displayed below the Final Gear setting. Optional fields are not displayed if they are left empty, so you can simply leave out specific gear ratios if you want.

Wall of text, engage! :D

• Weight distribution - would like to see this as separate fields for front and rear rather than a specific format to enter, maybe even just one for front and auto-calc rear since it's not rocket surgeryfication
  • Restrict number fields to only number character entry if possible; my PP is not "ABC" and max torque is not "your mom", also restrict to allowable setting range (ex. 5-60 for LSD, not 78)
  • Power-to-weight ratio - auto calc this
  • Add track for track-specific tunes, "General" being default
  • Add make, model (with year)
    • standardizes entries making them more searchable (once fields are searchable :))
    • auto-fill other basic specs like drivetrain, displacement, width, length, etc.
    • advanced version - only available parts in-game are selectable based on this info (ex. NASCARs cannot add forced induction or sports exhaust)
  • Add game update version
    • Physics may change between updates, some tunes may not work well from one to the next
    • Keep older versions - if a tuner updates for 1.05, let me have the option to view the 1.04 version of the tune somehow...like SharePoint for those that know what I'm talking about
    • Let reviewers select which version they are reviewing from a drop down
  • Add transmission starting point(s)
    • As mentioned by @Motor City Hami, a popular way to set transmissions
    • Add as Starting Point - Final Gear and Starting Point - Top Speed above gear ratios, top speed may not even be necessary as a starting point but final would be for sure
  • List selection - would love a way to select a few tunes to create a custom list as on mygranturismo.net/kudosprime. This could be invaluable to our shootout event format or a way to link several tunes for someone to try for seasonals, etc.
  • Tuning garage field - some way to ID this for those garages that have multiple tuners (ex. Clueless over The Hill Outlaws and The Cardboard Box come to mind), not sure how this could be handled to keep "anyone" from adding it
  • Localization
    • Probably would tie into a user profile setting
    • Auto-esticalc (yes, its in the dictionary...mine) between power and force measurements. @Otaliema was working on this for our version of this database :)
  • "Hideable" headings - proper term escapes me at the moment, a "+" or "-" or arrows next to specs, suspension, transmission, etc. that rolls up the data under that heading or shows it if hidden
Some suggestions better and easier than others. More to come I'm sure...apologies for the double post. :cheers:

EDIT:Added more...its all above.
Noted. Most fields should only accept data in valid formats. I have added a required "Game Version" field.

Back