GTPlanet Vintage Tuner Cup Ideas

The Special is a custom known as Buwicked.

And... 1950s-60s drag cars were the opposite of low. They rode as high as they could in an attempt to raise the CG so that more weight would transfer rearward.

Cool. Well there you have it I suppose. Its ride height, wheels, and paint scheme scream Chip Foose, is he behind it?

<edit> never mind, answered my own question.

Cool. Well there you have it I suppose. Its ride height, wheels, and paint scheme scream Chip Foose, is he behind it?

<edit> never mind, answered my own question.

:lol: Quick to answer your own question, cartoon like comedy sprang to my mind when I read that. Is the Classics going to start immediately after the current one or should we let Kent have a break from the hectics of a Tuner Challenge?

Yeah, but you know, we better give him the option of taking a break instead of trying to force the next one on him so soon.;)

LOL, definitely had no intentions of pushing anything. Personally I could use a bit of a breather after this one too. If he wants to jump right into it, that's fine by me, if not, I'll kick back for a bit. :sly:

Hey all, regarding the challenge... I'm just standing on for good measure, I was hoping a few of you guys could run the actual challenge and I'd simply supply advice. :D
Although, with that said, I'm perfectly happy to get involved more than that but at this point in time I'm more interested in seeing if I will be able to create an entry. :mischievous:

Also, just for anyone interested...
The Buick Special in GT4 is nothing as described above.
Believe it or not, that Buick is a one-off customized Buick '62 owned by an enthusiast who built the car to his custom specs (just to make a show car).
Just before GT4 came out there was a contest at an auto show where the winner's car was to be included in GT4- guess what car won the contest. :lol:
The Buick Special is just that, a special car unlike any other. Built by a private owner, the Buick Special won a contest to be featured in GT4.
I'll see if I can dig up any info from an outside source. :D

Playstation.com
Entries for the GT4 Awards included vehicles encompassing manufacturers around the globe. GT4 Awards category winners were selected by representatives from popular automotive media outlets including Road & Track, Motor Trend, Popular Hot Rodding Television and Super Street, with the "Best in Show" award being selected by legendary Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi.
The overall winner was Ted and Sue Richardson who were honored with the "Best in Show" award for their one-of-kind 1962 Buick Special. In addition to the hardware, the Richardson's 1962 Buick Special will set a new standard for visibility among auto enthusiasts as their vehicle will be drivable in Gran Turismo 4 when it is available worldwide for PlayStation 2 in 2004.

Link Here
Btw, the contest was done at SEMA so the nd 4 holden spd story is close.

what would be involved with running it? i'm not planning right now on an entry but i am planning to judge, I might be able to put everything together.

CLS made a post up above regarding the rules of the comp, hopefully that should answer all your questions, even as a judge.👍

Awesome Kent, I don't want to speak unduly for the others involved, but I think we'd be more than glad to pull this thing off! Do you still mind us holding it in the Tuner Garages thread, or would you prefer we used this one/started a new one? I think we've got a relatively good set of rules thus far, so with your blessing, we could probably get started in a week or so after everyone recouperates from the stress :scared:

and maybe there will be the shelby gt 500 KR that's being built today in gt5,, drool.

i wonder why callaway never caught on the way shelby did, or lingenfelter for that matter.

by the way does anyone have dibs on the chapperals yet? i just got the one that doesn't look like a white wedge of cheese and i think i might put it together for the race car class, ick, R tires..

edit nevermind i misinterpereted the rules.
uhm, so not to be a hassle but for those of us that WOULD like to see the old racecars duke it out is there a possibility of a race car class? it'd be interesting to see the old gt40, chapparals, audi streamline v12 thingie, and the c2 vette racecar hash it up on the tarmac. i don't recall any other older race cars, wait there's quite a few ol' Japanese cars and,, i THINK a few euro's as well, maybe a total of 20 cars that would fit that class though some are older rally cars, still. i know it's late in the game but are there other people that find this interesting?

Hitting refresh all the time is a real problem. I doubt that a proper race car duel is in the near future sorry. I think that Shelby caught on more as it is older isn't it, and more pronounced as a proper brand just like Ford or Chev. Callaway and Lingenfelter are seen more as tuner special brands, because that's kind of what they are ;)

And you can't argue with a twin turbo Chev V8 Lingenfelter Corvette that makes a Veyron look like a whimpy little sissy girl.

Shelby caught on because Carroll Shelby is God. Or, at least as close to God as our mortal minds can come close to conceiveing.

Easy now, that's blasfamy and some may take offence:nervous: To be honest, I'm not fond of Shelby, not that they aren't cool, I do like them, just not compared to others. They were hardly the Ferrari fighters thery claimed to be were they.

I like shelby, but not the new ones, it used to be that carrol shelby would put his name into only the best of the ford mustangs, but now hes putting it into the new GT500 which is awful, the suspension is pre-historic!

And the GT500 (convertible) on GT2 was the wrong one, i wanted to see the fastback version of it instead they gave us that heap of.....

And you can't argue with a twin turbo Chev V8 Lingenfelter Corvette that makes a Veyron look like a whimpy little sissy girl.

Ummm.. I'd love to start a lengthy and well-detailed rant about this misconception, but this thread isn't place for it. I'll just say that comparing tuner cars to bog-standard production line examples is like comparing apples and oranges.

Carroll Shelby could make good cars if he wouldn't be so damn ford-obsessed. that's his only flaw. Oh, and the fact that they DO have all necessary stuff to become another RUF, which would probably be a nightmare to blue oval of doom.. but they don't.:indiff:

Honestly, they could do well as manufacturer, making unique cars with personality, like the old ones n the 60's and 70's were. now they're doing same thing as half a dozen others. Roush for example. They take most boring warmed up beaten-to-death ponycar, put on a bodykit, some nice rims, maybe front fascia and perhaps remove the catalyzer or something like that, and call it unique sportscar with 40-60k price tag, where as average joe can do same job with 5k... Uniqueness.. that's what american manufacturers are lacking nowdays.

Easy now, that's blasfamy and some may take offence:nervous: To be honest, I'm not fond of Shelby, not that they aren't cool, I do like them, just not compared to others. They were hardly the Ferrari fighters thery claimed to be were they.

Look at my GT350R in my photo gallery. You'll see, they are great.

(Great tune by Vince at RRV being used on that 'Stang)​

More to the point, the challenge is gonna kick off in a day or two! Does anyone have any last questions/concerns about the prototype rules posted on the last page? They're going to make their way over to the Tuner Garages thread in cleaned-up and more proper form later tonight.

Forgive the double-post, but it's my mission in life that "GT4 is Dying Out" does not appear in the most-recently-posted-in field, and I just posted there.

Soooooo...

IT'S RUNNING! The Vintage Tuner Cup is now accepting entries for the 1963 and Earlier and 1964-1973 Divisions in the Tuner Garages thread in the main GT4 section. Head on over there and enter, or suffer an unspeakable fate.

Leo, I agree that you can't compare tuner cars and factory cars, that's stupid. I was just using the Veyron to explain the Lingenfelter's speed. The Veyron would probably win around a track anyway.........

that WOULD be interesting to see, and the veyron is hardly bog standard production, it's a rockit, er rocket.

crapalicous i'm behind, gotta tryo to get the z/28 up tommorow.

uhhhm, i'm a bit retarded, i cannot find the thing! anyone got a link for the vintage tuner area?

Back