GTPlanet Vintage Tuner Cup Ideas

0MG W3 R S0 ******!!!!

EDIT: Looks like Jordan enabled anti-cruise-control-for-cool. But you can get around it with EDITZ!!!!one

E2: And I thought Z/520 was out...

No worries, I'm always very gentle.. or so the ladies say. :sly: :lol:

Gentle? BAH! Who needs that? :sly:

But seriously, I see no problem with two or more people entering the same car. It adds a nice dimension of "competition within a competition".

BTW, this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm seriously considering an Alpine :scared::sly:

Bah, like I said a few pages back, the more the merrier. You'll see eachother's difference's soon enough and adapt some of them to improve your car.
I'm going with the BMW 2002 aswell now because of it's performance capabilities overall and trying to get the best times on each track with that car, but the Celica will stay a class car because of it's improvement over stock.

Mafs!!

Z/520 was published earlier in tuner garages when I was till soloing around, but that setup has been updated now. honestly I think it's one of the best handling classic muscle there is.

Hey being against Leo is enough to make tuning newbies like myself a little intimidated. However if my first showing is any indication I will not go quietly into that good night.

BTW are we allowed multiple entries? I'd really like to run the E-type and the 2000GT...

Short answer, yes.

You can enter one car in each category - as things stand now, the E-type would be eligible for the '63 and earlier division, and the 2kGT would be eligible for 64-73.

If you decide you want to run one of them in the racecar division, you could do that as well.

Good news everyone, my C3 still works perfectly fine on R2 tyres and will be ready to compete, while I was testing I made a marginally small improvement to the diff as well, but it really likes an essentially stock diff settings. You'll see I guess when you drive it.

Hey Holdenboy, care to PM your test times with the R2'd C3 against the Celica?? Getting back to our USA v JDM comparo with that query.

Hey being against Leo is enough to make tuning newbies like myself a little intimidated. However if my first showing is any indication I will not go quietly into that good night.

BTW are we allowed multiple entries? I'd really like to run the E-type and the 2000GT...

Oh come on, I don't bite heads off, if the competition is fair and square.. Greycap on the other hand is eager to put people facing execution squad if the competition ISN'T fair and square..

Love the idea of the classic challenge but maybe it should be scaled down some to attract more judges, I will be judging but judging four or five categories with 7+ entries a piece will take a good chunk of time, especially done right.

Maybe a 73 challenge with 2 or 3 divisions. And then when that is finished come back with the 74+ with a couple of divisions so we can split up the workload and have two deadlines instead of three. . .just a suggestion.

Love the idea of the classic challenge but maybe it should be scaled down some to attract more judges, I will be judging but judging four or five categories with 7+ entries a piece will take a good chunk of time, especially done right.

Maybe a 73 challenge with 2 or 3 divisions. And then when that is finished come back with the 74+ with a couple of divisions so we can split up the workload and have two deadlines instead of three. . .just a suggestion.

The way things look I doubt we'd have 7 entrants in each category, but this DOES raise an interesting point. We've all been talking about running fewer categories than we originally intended so as to be free to judge others --dividing the challenge into two periods of time doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'm sure it would mean more judges for the first half (and possibly even more competitors); my only concern would be people losing interest by the time the second half rolled around. What do you guys think?

Yeah, that would be nice.

How about pre-75 divided into 1900-1960, 1961-1972, and 1973-75?

Then the pre-88 would be 1976-1988 (or 87, whichever) and the 1900-1980 race cars.

60 years, 12 years, and ... 3 years? LOL quite a spread there. I think if we do it the divisions should probably stay intact since people have already made plans assuming they'll be more or less what we've discussed. If we do split it up, I'd suggest pre-63 and 64-73 in the first lot since those seem likely to be the most heavily contested divisions. Then the late seventies division, the eighties division, and the racecars in the second lot. That balances fairly well since the late seventies division contains, what, three worthwhile cars? (exaggeration of course, but I guarantee it'll be the least-entered division)

If i bother to take part ill put in a Mustang GT 390!

Holy crap dude! I want one!!!

Let's see now, how many cars were combined in that...
1) Mustang GT350
2) Ford GT
3) Ford GT90

Hello Hybrid? Thank you for the ideas! So, was that a "Fluke" or planned? [/bad pun]

60 years, 12 years, and ... 3 years? LOL quite a spread there. I think if we do it the divisions should probably stay intact since people have already made plans assuming they'll be more or less what we've discussed. If we do split it up, I'd suggest pre-63 and 64-73 in the first lot since those seem likely to be the most heavily contested divisions. Then the late seventies division, the eighties division, and the racecars in the second lot. That balances fairly well since the late seventies division contains, what, three worthwhile cars? (exaggeration of course, but I guarantee it'll be the least-entered division)

I have to agree with CLS here, I didn't suggest a split to create more divisions but to allow the judges enough time to properly test each car.

I also think competitors should be able to judge divisions that they are in. While some may say that this would promote bias toward cars made by the judges, I think it would in fact balance out because it would encourage everybody who entered to ALSO judge.

In the current challenge I honestly wish that I had about a week for each division to properly test on multiple tracks etc. As it is all of my judging has been on GVS simply because I know the track and am in quite a rush.

All right chidrinz, the current challenge is wrapping up! It's time to start buckling down. Wrench every last little horse you can out of those decades-old motors and prepare to lay down some rubber! Just to rehash thus far, the general idea is this, subject to Kent's approval, if he still wants to host it.

Tune a classic, using whatever means at your disposal short of altering the game itself. If you use Nitrous, the Track Gods will frown and smite you from the face of the earth.

You may enter ONE car in each of the following divisions. The car must be a ROAD car - no racecars or "resto-mods" (i.e. Buick Special)

1963 and earlier - the REAL classics
1964-1973 - pre-Oil Crisis - the era where power was king
1974-1980 - OIL EMBARGO! Clever engineering trumps raw power
1981-1988 - Modern Classics that presage the cars of today
(the above 4 divisions allow tires of S3 compound and harder)
Classic Club Racers - any car 1980 or earlier on R1 or R2 tires (NOT allowing actual racecars - retrofitted road cars only. No one in their right mind in the real world would take a mint-original Gulf-liveried GT40 and totally rehash it)

Present your car when we announce that its division is accepting entrants. The divisions will likely be broken up to allow more concentration of judging. Be as creative (or as dull) with the layout of your submission as you like, but BE DETAILED - include EVERYTHING that needs to be done to the car, including desired tire compound, gearing, oil changes, etc. If your car is obscure or hard to acquire, it would be helpful to include the means to get it in your submission. Include the car's power, torque, weight, and in-game WPR (all figures from the garage menu) in your post, so judges may verify that they have built the car correctly.

Anyone may judge. All that a judge MUST do is test every car in the division he is judging, EXACTLY as specified by its builder. He may test it on any track(s) he choses, but must submit best-lap-times on at least one track. Additionally, he must provide some information regarding his impression of the car's overall feel. He will score each car out of 100 possible points. The criteria is NOT outright speed, but as stated above, the overall feel of the car - its handling characteristics, how much the tuner has improved it over stock, AND speed, relative to its WPR.

A more comprehensive layout of the rules and regs is forthcoming once I talk with Kent again, but anyone just viewing the thread now who may have their interest piqued, there ya go. If all goes as currently planned, the actual challenge itself will be held in the Tuner Garages thread in the main GT4 Forum.

GET BUILDING!

you should define all of the cars that you are excluding, though why you are excluding them is beyond me. As far as overall feel of a car, I personally wouldn't mind seeing someone try to tame the special on s3's. I'd find it quite amusing, even astonishing if it can actually be done.

Yeah, but there's still too much modern technology there. That'd be like allowing the Speed 12 in a classics challenge because it appears untamable. So far that's the only exclusion by my recollection, plus the race cars.

the 62' buick special was a BEASt in it's time, why are ya'll considering it a resto-mod? putting turbo's and triple-plate clutchs on c1 vette's is resto-modding them right?

The "1962" Buick Special as you're calling it is not a 1962 model at all. This particular one is a show car that debuted only a few years back at I think was the SEMA show. I wouldn't be surprised if it even runs on a Corvette chassis like everything else these days. Someone help me out here, just how much modern technology does the Special have?

The only car being excluded from the range is the Buick Special, since it's already a tuner car. The factory Buick Special in '62 was only offered in a 215 cubic inch V8 and a 198 cubic inch V6. The version in GT4 is powered by a stupendously ridiculous 7.5ish Litre V8. Nor did any of the factory Specials sit nearly that low - unless I miss my guess, the GT4 Special is a conceptual recreation of the typical down-'n-dirty US quarter-mile queen from the late fifties and early sixties.

The idea of the competition is to take a factory car and rebuild it into something entirely new and spectacular. That's already been done to the Special (although the spectacular part is debatable), so it offers a theoretically unfair advantage from the outset.

<edit> Thanks NDH, didn't know it was even a real car. Either way, it's WAY outside the spirit of the competition. I bet you're right about the 'Vette... I wouldn't be surprised if the 7.45 L V8 in the GT4 Special was a bored Vette motor

Back