GTPlanet vs. Wham! - Last Christmas - Round 2

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 1,077 comments
Jonah Lewie's Stop The Cavalry was never intended to be released as a Christmas song, but his record company refused to release it as a single until a few weeks before the big day. He just considered the song an anti-war song.

Indeed it wasn't - but references to Christmas and brass band music made it perfect for it.

Oddly, it was kept off number one by two John Lennon singles (one a re-release) after he was shot dead in December. Christmas number one that year was "There's No-one Quite Like Grandma" by St. Winifred's School Choir...

Jonah Lewie's "Stop the Cavalry" and The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's "Fairytale of New York" - the only song containing the words "faggot", "slut" and "arse" that plays unedited, in full, at all times of day.

What the hell did I just watch? I searched the damn video on youtube and I ended up watching some drunk toothless guy mumble words into I microphone I didn't understand. Please clear this up for me people. :indiff:

That'll be The Pogues. There'll be some music after his opening monologue.

Shane MacGowan
It was Christmas Evening, in the drunk tank; An old man said to me "Won't see another one"; and then he sang a song, The Rare Old Mountain Dew; I turned my face away and dreamed about you; Got on a lucky one, came in eighteen to one - I've got a feeling, this year's for me and you; So Happy Christmas, I love you baby; I can see a better time when all our dreams come true

It's not Christmas until you've heard it playing. FACT.

These are 2 songs i listen to during Xmas and i avoid having the radio on during this time, like listening to stupid christmas songs at work isn't bad enough.

These are 2 songs i listen to during Xmas and i avoid having the radio on during this time, like listening to stupid christmas songs at work isn't bad enough.

I can't see the second video because our communist government has blocked it here in Canada. (Hurray for censorship!)

That'll be The Pogues. There'll be some music after his opening monologue.

I LOL'd at the top comment. Why did he rip his last tooth out?

My GF will have the Mariah Carey Christmas Album on for the next 2 months, so Wham would be a pleasant relief to me.

They've already started playing Christmas music at work, so it's only a matter of time. I've already heard the Taylor Swift version.

Put me down for it this year, I only lost last year because a radio station that I listen to had a worst Christmas song poll and I happened to tune in just after they announced the winner :ouch:.

I'd like to complain. I'm not on the list in the second post, despite posting in the thread several times. :grumpy:

I'm in so stick me on the list, it may cause me some embarrassment though when I swear too loudly in a shop full of people when I inevitably get Whammed :indiff:

That happened to me last year. Except it was while having dinner with my family. :lol:

[*]Do not (I repeat) DO NOT tell your friends, significant others, family etc that you can't listen to this song. They are all EVIL and will play it to you at the first opportunity (if they start singing it themselves, consider yourself lucky).

I made that mistake last year, but got lucky in that it was "covered". :lol:

Also had a close call or three at the local Meijer but again, cover versions which don't count.

Sounds like fun. Can I join? I think I actually have a chance of winning this year. There are only two Grand Prix left and that seems to be about the only thing I watch on tv anyway. I just have to get through some christmas shopping (which of course, can be done online) and buy an engagement ring. Other than that, I think I may be able to survive the year without being whammed.

Updated. And apologies, my Lord...
Although I have told everybody to be as anti-social as possible :p

@Rykon: Yup, you can listen to the original version in the first post without elimination 👍

Back