GTPlanet Worldwide Time Attack Challenge Season 3 Final Week: Classic Honda Challenge

• Thread starter Glubags
  • 380 comments
United States
Montgomery, AL
Hello everyone!

In the beginning of October '09, Niigaki started the GTP Member Wide Time Attack Challenge for GTPSP. I don't think anyone thought it would become so successful and grow into a series, but here we are on the brink of the 3rd full season, and the competition has been fantastic. For Season 3, Niigaki has graciously passed the hosting torch to me. Having been a competitor since the very beginning, I hope to bring you guys as excellent an experience as Niigaki has provided us in the past.

Now, this season will be a little bit different from what we experienced during the second season. After being presented with the opportunity to host Season 3, I put some thought into how it could be spiced up. After having thoroughly enjoyed the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, the idea struck me: GT5TT's format was very seductive, and GT PSP has several cars with both stock and race versions... 💡

So without further ado, I present:

gtpsp_timeattack_season3.jpg

There will be 5 challenges this season, each involving two cars: one stock version, one race version. The challenges will be denoted as C1S (stock)/C1R (race), C2S/C2R, and so forth. The challenges will arrive weekly, lasting 6 days, Monday-Saturday. You may submit times for the cars at any point within the 6-day timeframe, and you may choose which car to work on first. There are no rules on the order of times submitted. Be absolutely sure to submit your times on or before 11:59 PM Central Standard Time of the last Saturday for each event. No late entries will be accepted. On each Sunday, results will be compiled, rankings updated, and the next track will be announced.

There will be no point system this season. Instead, your ranking will be derived from your combined lap times. Going hand-in-hand with the new format, there will be 3 leaderboards for this season: Overall, Stock, and Race:

Overall Championship: This is Season 3's holy grail, combining your stock and race lap times to arrive at an overall time for each challenge.

Stock Car Championship: This championship will be based only on times submitted for the Stock versions of each car.

Race Car Championship: This championship will be based only on times submitted for the Race versions of each car.​

If you fail to meet the deadline for time submissions, you're not out of the running just yet. You will be given a Penalty Time on the leaderboards in order to continue accurate ranking. See Rule 9 for further information.​

(Pay careful attention to the names of the vehicles to ensure you buy the right one! For instance, buying the IS200 '98 instead of the IS200 (J) '98 will put you at a significant horsepower disadvantage!)

FF Challenge (March 1st - 6th)
Circuit:
Grand Valley East / Forward
C1S: Honda Jazz 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01 (N3/N3)
C1R: Spoon FIT Race Car '03 (R1/R1)

AWD Challenge (March 8th - 13th)
Circuit:
Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course / Forward
C2S: Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version (Type-I) '00 (N3/N3)
C2R: Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car (R1/R1)

MR Challenge (March 15th - 20th)
Circuit:
Opera Paris / Reverse
C3S: RenaultSport Clio V6 24V '00 (N3/N3)
C3R: RenaultSport Clio Trophy Race Car '00 (R1/R1)

FR Challenge (March 22nd - 27th)
Circuit:
Infineon Raceway / Forward
C4S: Lexus IS200 (J) '98 (N3/N3)
C4R: Lexus IS200 GT-1 Race Car '04 (R1/R1)

Classic Challenge (March 29th - April 3rd)
Circuit:
Suzuka Circuit West Course / Forward
C5S: Honda S800 '66 (N3/N3)
C5R: Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68 (R1/R1)

1. As noted above, each challenge will start at 12 AM Central Standard Time on the Monday of the given week and will end at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time on the following Saturday. If your time is submitted after the deadline, your time will not count. No exceptions.

2. Only Professional Physics may be used.

3. In keeping with GT5TT, for all Stock cars, only N3 tires may be used.

4. For all Race cars, only R1 tires may be used.

5. All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal. Feel free to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings. TCS, ASM, and Active Steering are also available, though you'll probably find the fastest times have these assists turned off.

6. You must post a picture of their Ghost Replay Save Data information screen from the main PSP menu (accessed by choosing Saved Data, then press Triangle on your Ghost Data and choosing Information) showing the Date, Course, Vehicle, Lap Time, Physics used, Tires used, and your GTPlanet username written on a slip of paper. Please see the Season 2 thread for several examples.

7. You must support your final submitted lap times by uploading the Ghost Replay Save Data of your fastest time for everyone to see. Your time will not count if you fail to upload your replay before the deadline of each challenge. Please refer to this post for instructions on how to locate your Ghost Replay Save Data.

8. You MUST keep at least two tires on the tarmac at all times. In cases where there are walls near the track surface, your car MUST NOT touch the wall at any point. Lap times submitted with either of these violations will not count. In portions of a track where the tarmac runs all the way against the wall, you may use as much of the tarmac as possible as long as you don't hit the wall. Don't worry about any lines on the track in those cases--the wall is your boundary. Also, in some cases, there are sections of track where there a rumble strip or curbing runs all the way against a wall. For these, I'll allow you guys to use as much of that curbing as possible without hitting the wall. However, when the rumble strip/curb is the only thing between the tarmac and dirt/grass/gravel, you must keep at least two tires on the tarmac at all times (so you should have no more than two tires on the rumble strip/curb). In sections of track where the tarmac meets grass/dirt/gravel immediately with no barrier, at least two tires must remain on the tarmac.

9. Penalty Times: Penalty times will be given to competitors who miss the deadline for time submissions. They are calculated as follows:
[(slowest submitted time - fastest submitted time) / 2] + slowest submitted time = Penalty time. Basically, half of the difference between the fastest and slowest times will be added to the slowest time, and this sum will be your penalty time. This will ensure that you place last in a missed challenge, and are given a fair and dynamic penalty based on the rest of the field's performance.​

Overall Championship:​

1. PiTch_ ######lll16'09.651 (+0'00.000) (12345)
2. easyblast #####16'12.631 (+0'02.980) (12345)
3. Detroitbb llll####16'13.428 (+0'03.777) (12345)
4. overheating l###ll16'26.020 (+0'16.369) (12345)
small_up_arrow.gif
from 5th

5. barny0111 ####ll16'27.824 (+0'18.1733) (1234P)
small_down_arrow.gif
from 4th

6. akiraacecombat #ll16'33.141 (+0'23.490) (PPP4P)

Retired
7. pvr77 #####lllll#l5'51.062 (+0'05.518) (1PXXX)
8. slims #####lllll##5'52.298 (+0'06.754) (1PXXX)

Stock Car Championship:
1. PiTch_ ######lll8'48.846 (+0'00.000) (12345)
2. easyblast #####8'50.524 (+0'01.678) (12345)
3. Detroitbb llll####8'50.843 (+0'01.997) (12345)
4. overheating l###l8'56.160 (+0'07.314) (12345)
5. barny0111 ####ll8'56.203 (+0'07.357) (1234P)
6. akiraacecombat #ll8'58.279 (+0'09.433) (PPP4P)

Retired
7. pvr77 #####lllll#l3'10.263 (+0'02.697) (1PXXX)
8. slims #####lllll##3'10.664 (+0'03.098) (1PXXX)

Race Car Championship:
1. PiTch_ ######lll7'20.805 (+0'00.000) (12345)
2. easyblast #####7'22.107 (+0'01.302) (12345)
3. Detroitbb llll####7'22.584 (+0'01.779) (12345)
4. EA11R ######l#7'26.754 (+0'05.949) (12345)
5. overheating l###ll7'29.860 (+0'09.055) (12345)
small_up_arrow.gif
from 6th

6. barny0111 ####ll7'31.621 (+0'10.861) (1234P)
small_down_arrow.gif
from 5th

7. akiraacecombat #ll7'34.862 (+0'14.057) (PPP4P)

Retired
8. pvr77 #####lllll#l2'40.799 (+0'02.821) (1PXXX)
9. slims #####lllll##2'41.634 (+0'03.656) (1PXXX)

Feel free to ask any questions if anything above is unclear. I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank Niigaki for all his hard work in laying the foundation for this series, and to thank all of you who compete for keeping these Time Attack Challenges alive. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Love the idea 👍👍👍!!! I'll compete for the "Season 3's holy grail" ! Thank you Glubags ! Hope you will not only host but also compete !

Overall Championship :
- easyblast

Stock Car Championship :

Race Car Championship :

Cool. This looks great. Count me in. I see there is going to be a leaderboard so we know how we stand throughout the comp. Thanks for putting this one together Glubags, I'm glad someone takes the time for these types of things.:)

Sounds great! But I think that you should make the tires for road cars S1 rather than N3, N tires are unbearable for most because of so little grip. They're more for drifting.

I think that you should make the tires for road cars S1 rather than N3, N tires are unbearable for most because of so little grip. They're more for drifting.

N3s are just one step below S1s, so I think people who've been using the S1s in seasons 1.5 and 2 should be able to handle them without issue. They reinforce the importance of finding the right braking points and encourage much more realistic driving. We can go back to S1s next season if everyone feels the N3s aren't grippy enough, but for this season, N3s are the rule. They've got plenty of grip, you just have to drive within their traction limits.

LOVE the idea! I have all but two of the cars already, so no Test Course grinding for me (that's always a plus).

:)

Count me in, sir!

i like the idea, nice thinking , i forget to say to you (but i been busy all of these days)to make the times by plus(i know that is already to late for this but anyway), so my idea goes like:

score won"t be by points , but like time(rally championship style)
i.e. track 1: 1:12.222
track 2: 2:34.569
track 3: 1:50.321

final time: 5:37.xxx

and the quikiest win, put like a league to have more players on the table and make it more balanced for skilled plyers for ralling/road course skills.

so my idea goes like:

score won"t be by points , but like time(rally championship style)
i.e. track 1: 1:12.222
track 2: 2:34.569
track 3: 1:50.321

final time: 5:37.xxx

Yes, that's exactly how the rankings will work this season. That's what the "There will be no point system this season. Instead, your ranking will be derived from your combined lap times" line in the original post is referring to. 👍

I described the leaderboard setup to Detroitbb in a PM, so here's how they'll be set up, showing time deficits and changes in position:

(let's say this is after 3 challenges)

Overall Championship:
1. Detroitbb - 8'28.530 (
small_left_arrow.gif
no change)
2. psp88 - 8'29.619 (+0'01.089)
small_up_arrow.gif
from 3rd

3. pvr77 - 8'30.130 (+0'01.600)
small_down_arrow.gif
from 2nd
and so on. They'll be set up the same way for the overall, stock, and race championships. Depending on how many people compete, it's going to be a lot to keep up with, which is another reason I have set aside Sunday as my day to tally up all the results accurately. The 6-day time period also works well, since we're already accustomed to having 3 days for each challenge, and these challenges include 2 cars each, so having them on a weekly basis works out perfectly for my schedule, and I hope it works for you guys as well.

this sounds great, but i think that there should be a practice round that doesnt count, just so people doent have to wait until march. ;)
You know what? That's actually not a bad idea. Since Season 2 is still going, I'll set up a practice round and add it to the OP, and I'll set it to begin the day after Season 2 finishes.

[...] I'll set up a practice round and add it to the OP, and I'll set it to begin the day after Season 2 finishes.

GREAT ! I would like to have time to improve my skills as a driver and a tuner cause the competition is very fierce ! So a practice round would be more than helpfull for those who want to experiment tuning ! Thanks a lot for the idea !

I also want to thank icelt for this really great website link about tuning he posted in this thread !

sorry me again but if you can we can add some cars to the mix, for example i "ll like to see:

R32 Skyline race car calsonic/R32 Skyline Vspec
350z motul pitworks /350Z (standart or any nismo or opera version)
toyota AE86 Shingeneo version apex/ae86 trueno apex
lamborghini countach/ lamborghini countach (newer version)
bmw m3 gtr/bmw m3 gtr race car
ford gt 05/for gt race car specII
jaguar xj220/jaguar xj220 race car
skyline r34 VspectII/mines skyline bnr r34
subaru impreza 04/subaru impreza WRC 2004

sorry that i dont know well the specific names of the cars, still this could work for a next season time attack, but featuring R2 or R3 tire types in order to try to beat records.

^ Many of those cars were in my initial list of 22 cars I picked out, but I had to edit it down to 10 so we could finish the season in 5 weekly challenges, so roughly one month for the season (as it has been in previous seasons). I wanted to choose cars that I figured not many people had already driven into the ground in previous versions of Gran Turismo... i.e. some of the less popular examples of cars with stock/race versions.

Those cars will definitely be considered for the next season if we keep this format. 👍

I already spend 40,000,000+ Credits on my car collection. LOL

Mainly when I play now, I am just doing Suzuka East Course Drifting to see if I can make a perfect round, which I did with a few cars.

This sounds good, but I have one problem: I have no camera. Is there some alternate way to verify our times?

This sounds good, but I have one problem: I have no camera. Is there some alternate way to verify our times?

If you submit your ghost data (link to instructions in the original post), I can verify your time that way. I'd really prefer both a pic and ghost, but if you really have no camera (not even a cell phone cam?) and wish to participate, I'll settle for the ghost alone.

Ok guys, practice begins tomorrow. Please see the bottom of the OP for more info. I'll participate in the practice rounds when I can. Have fun!

Come to think of it, I may be able to use my webcam...

I remember seeing a system (WRS?) that might work better here: You require everyone to save their replay data, but not submit it. Then, when the competition nears completion, you require proof (ghost, picture, etc.) only of the fastest competitors.

You still have proof of the positions that matter most, but you'll save the slower drivers the awkwardness of uploading their -losing- data. The people dedicated enough to perform a podium-finish time will be glad to upload their files. You'll have a much smaller, more managable stack of data to sift through. Not requiring proof of slow times makes the series more appealing to more (i.e. slower) people. And, really, who lies their way to 4th place? There's no need to verify unimpressive laptimes because no one bothers to BS their way to 'average.'

Of course, my suggestion is just that: a suggestion. I'll probably still participate with the present system in place. Just thought my suggestion would make things a bit easier, possibly gather a few more competitors. Not to mention that flattering moment to the winners when you ask for proof. It's like saying, "You went how fast? That magnitude of speed borders on the realm of fantasy and myth!"

^The last line is best read aloud, in ascending pitch, with plenty of eyebrow movement.

-I have WAY too much spare time :)

LOL, I like you already.

Yes, please use your webcam for photo verification.

And as much as I'd like to lighten the rules regarding time submissions to boost the number of participants, every place matters as much as the next, and to give anyone the opportunity to cheat someone else out of their hard work with a BS submission would be a failure on my behalf in my opinion. I'd love to believe everyone here is honest, but we were proved wrong in the first season, so I'd prefer a handful of honest competitors to a whole lot of questionables.

Besides, the pic/ghost requirement isn't complicated. I feel if someone can put in the effort required to lay down a fast lap, they can take 5 minutes to prove it.

I hope everyone understands and sees that it adds a sense of legitimacy to these challenges. 👍

Aw, sorry to hear about the previous competition. Either way, I'm already searching for the Fits in the car market.

This might be a good time to play with settings on a lot of different cars; the only car I've seriously tried to set-up well is the Shigeno AE86, so something like a Fit will be different. I have successfully made an oversteering Motul Civic, though!

I like the dual-race setup you've got going here. I think you should keep it, but modify it a little each season. For example, next month you might do past vs. present (Corvettes and Celicas spring to mind) or even two cars in similar categories (Isuzu vs. Toyota 2000GT)
or just related by brand and drivetrain (Honda Beat vs. NSX). If you don't change it up every once in a while, there are a lot of cars that we won't ever have the opportunity to race.

And when I say we, I include me. I totally want in on this. I just hope I can find time for it, but I think I can manage (Thank god for Fridays) :D

I definitely considered the "Old meets New" theme when looking over the car list. Celicas, Corvettes, Z cars, Skylines, Silvias, Mustangs... there are just so many cars in the game with their ancestry included.

I also wouldn't mind a stock/rally challenge considering there are so many cars with rally car versions. I'm not sure how the community would take to a season completely dedicated to dirt courses, though.

There are so many options when it comes to themed time attack challenges... just one more reason to love the enormous car selection.

Welcome to the series, by the way. I hope you find it as enjoyable as we all have. :) This is my first time hosting a season, so I'm doing my best to make it worthwhile.

Judging by the creative challenge you've created so far, you should have no problem keeping this an entertaining series. I can't wait for it to start, though I'm still in the process of getting all the necessary cars. :boggled:

If you need with reviewing replays and such, let me know. Since you guys helped me out during all 3 seasons of TAC. I will be more then willing to repay the favor.

Thanks Niigaki 👍

I just ran the S800 and S800 Race Car at Motorland Reverse to lay down some conservative benchmarks. 3 laps each, no tuning.

Stock: 0'59.480
Race: 0'48.268

The race car is just brilliant. Can't wait for that challenge.

Edit: I've decided to make the practice round completely open for the remainder of the month. Feel free to use any of the cars for the season at Motorland Reverse, dial in your tuning setups, and whatever else you may need to do to get ready for the season. I went ahead and ran 3 laps in every car, no tuning. These are pretty conservative laps, probably pushing 75%, just to set ballpark figures:

motorlandreversebenchmarks.jpg

Last edited:
I put in about 10 - 15 minutes each with the 1966 Honda S800 and the 1968 Honda S800 RSC race car. I did some tuning, but considering that I don't know what I'm doing... I could just be making things worse!

1966 Honda S800: 0'55.907

1968 Honda S800 RSC race car: 0'46.382

I started with the stock version and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The engine sounds very cool and unique!

After that, I tried the race version and it was simply awesome. The boost in performance was quite noticeable, especially after first driving the stock auto. As an added bonus, it just looks sweet!

Back